Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? (32647 Views)

6 Struggles Of Owning A Tiny Lagos Apartment / Top 5 Five Factors To Put Into Consideration When Renting A House In Lagos ! / Tree Growing In Between A House In Benin (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 11:14am On Apr 19, 2016

In your own opinion, at what age do you feel one should start thinking about owning his own house and make it a priority. I personally think Age 30, while some might say age 40. Remember that planning to own a house either through buying or building from scratch does not necessarily mean one has the whole money but one could decide to save towards building/buying a house or secure a financial aid. Lets get talking guys. Join the discussion here

3 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 19, 2016

9 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 11:47am On Apr 19, 2016
Logician:
Why?

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 19, 2016
onotukabiru:

Why?

A youth passionate about financial stability from should have a home by 28

5 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
Logician:

A youth passionate about financial stability from should have a home by 28

Interesting
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by drkay(m): 12:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
Well, 30yrs isn't bad. I moved into mine at 29 and am still the youngest landlord in my estate at the moment but there's this guy that is currently putting finishing touches into his house, very close to mine, he should be in his mid 20's.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by NaijaFutbol: 12:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
From the day you get a job, save exact amount of your rent as a mortgage fund.

It becomes an emergency the very year you get married.

Start building building with your spouse and set a realistic target with him/her.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 12:30pm On Apr 19, 2016
drkay:
Well, 30yrs isn't bad. I moved into mine at 29 and am still the youngest landlord in my estate at the moment but there's this guy that is currently putting finishing touches into his house, very close to mine, he should be in his mid 20's.

Impressive Regardless of what the new guy building his house is into, I don't judge people but he still thought of owning his own home. Lots of these so called yahoo boys do not think that way so there must be something different about his reasoning.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 12:34pm On Apr 19, 2016
NaijaFutbol:
From the day you get a job, save exact amount of your rent as a mortgage fund.

It becomes an emergency the very year you get married.

Start building building with your spouse and set a realistic target with him/her.

Well, For someone who is starting a job, don't you think other stuff like wardrobe (he has to dress up to office expectations), Feeding, Transportation (considering the fluctuating cost of transportation due to unending arising factors ), Utility bills, etc. I believe there has to be a certain level of financial stability before one can start saving for a home, besides its easier to save with a spouse if the person is married.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by thesicilian: 12:56pm On Apr 19, 2016
Nairalanders can lie ehn!

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by MRBrownJ: 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2016
owning a home should ONLY be a priority if A) this is what you desire for your life or B) you have the MEANS to afford the house you DESIRE, where you desire it.

so many clueless people buy cheap homes in RUBBISH area, just because they want to own a house... and in turn, they are miserable as soon as they set foot in. if buying a home isnt beneficial to you 110%, then you shouldnt dream of buying it.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 2:48pm On Apr 19, 2016
MRBrownJ:
owning a home should ONLY be a priority if A) this is what you desire for your life or B) you have the MEANS to afford the house you DESIRE, where you desire it.

so many clueless people buy cheap homes in RUBBISH area, just because they want to own a house... and in turn, they are miserable as soon as they set foot in. if buying a home isnt beneficial to you 110%, then you shouldnt dream of buying it.

I agree and disagree at the same time, yes i agree some people buy homes in what u regard rubbish areas, but also keep in mind that someone who buy's a house in a rubbish area for N5m, that house value would probably double few years from the time of purchase, owning a house is not just for having somewhere to stay, most times its an investment. He can sell the house and use the money to buy a house in what you might consider a correct area in the future.

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by MRBrownJ: 2:53pm On Apr 19, 2016
onotukabiru:

I agree and disagree at the same time, yes i agree some people buy homes in what u regard rubbish areas, but also keep in mind that someone who buy's a house in a rubbish area for N5m, that house value would probably double few years from the time of purchase, owning a house is not just for having somewhere to stay, most times its an investment. He can sell the house and use the money to buy a house in what you might consider a correct area in the future.

again, if someone DESIRES to make an investment, such as a home, then fair enough that would fall under my point A, but do not assume that everyone MUST make such investment.
furthermore, such investment can get destroyed, lose value, get handed over in a divorce settlement etc, because as we all know, there is no such thing as a 110% safe investment

18 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by onotukabiru(m): 2:58pm On Apr 19, 2016
MRBrownJ:

again, if someone DESIRES to make an investment, such as a home, then fair enough that would fall under my point A, but do not assume that everyone MUST make such investment.
furthermore, such investment can get destroyed, lose value, get handed over in a divorce settlement etc, because as we all know, there is no such thing as a 110% safe investment
nicely put, can you please put this opinion on the main forum http://homesandlands.com.ng/forums/topic/owning-a-home/
its a response that should be seeing by many more
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by agarawu23(m): 4:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
I think we need to do calculations according to our naija way before coming into conclusion of a certain age a guy should/must own a house.

* the guy needs to finish his university level.
* hunt for job
* if he is someone who didnt further his education, he will learn work.
* take freedom from his boss
* start chasing his dreams.
* families are there to cater for
*gf palava
*income and savings must be steady before he dreams of buying land talkless of building house
* he will be paying house rents (if he isn't living under his parents).

To me, I think a guy should have a home at the age of 35 if he isn't eating with all his hands. A start with a room & parlor self contain isn't bad if he can get a cheap land.

Opportunities that a 20-30 year old had to own a house might not be for other guys and besides most of these young guys building mansions might/may be fraudsters or using their parents cash.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by MrMcJay(m): 7:36pm On Apr 19, 2016
MRBrownJ:

This line of thought is what a lot of people are ignorant of.

I'll prefer to live in a flat on the Island than to own a Duplex in a place like Ikorodu. FYI, the road between Bourdillon road and Gerrard Road both in Ikoyi is 2 lanes on each side. The road between Ketu to Ikorodu is also 2 lanes on each side, This is irrespective of the fact that the population in Ikorodu is about 1000 times the number of those in Ikoyi. If you seek affordable options, there are many estates after Ajah on the way to the new Lekki FTZ where the government is building 12-lane highways.

People don't understand that it's not only about building a house, the environment matters. There is no point hurrying to build in a slum when you can wait, save, strategize and make proper real estate investments. It's not how far but how well.

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by drkay(m): 5:59am On Apr 21, 2016
Well, everyone has a point here, it depends on how you see it. One has to critically analyze it. Wear and tear on cars, accessibility to social amenities, good schools, the class of people in the neighborhood, security issues etc has to be put into consideration. Some of these estates don't have the facilities on ground but they lure their potential costumers to believe that everything is going to be put in place once they move in. I have friends who have plots of land in the 'Bush'. when the pressure to own a house was much, they had to buy another one in their preferred area. Meanwhile, some people's lifestyle perfectly fits into owning a property in a remote area. For instance, if you work in an organization that has good accommodation facilities for it's staffs on the island and your wife has a good job in a place like ikorodu, you can build in a nice area in ikorodu where those facilities are accessible. Then, you'll be coming home every weekend. I prefer being a weekend husband to a being a husband who leaves home at 4am and comes back at 11pm, which most ppl do.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Dottore: 6:39am On Apr 21, 2016
Whenever you are tired of paying for house rent

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by babyfaceafrica: 6:39am On Apr 21, 2016
No specific age,not everyone will own a house,some will build,some will rent and some will buy.....just because you own a house does not make u better and successful than people who rent.....Build a house when you are financially ready to build one,stop looking. At others pace to do so...no one catches late comer in the hustle of Life

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by DonMaxxy(m): 6:39am On Apr 21, 2016
It awesome and dignifying to be your own land lord. For me this does not have to do with age. It is pecunia that will deceide.

Bro/sis even if you are two years old right now nd you have the bucks to fetch you an abode; do that sharparly. No age is too big or small for greatness

11 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by greatness22(m): 6:41am On Apr 21, 2016

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by sundoj08(m): 6:41am On Apr 21, 2016
Waiting for the *who the house epp* crew

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by nigeriafilm(m): 6:43am On Apr 21, 2016
I don't think it's about age, it's okay as soon as the means arise

3 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by ClintonDal(m): 6:43am On Apr 21, 2016
onotukabiru:

Impressive Regardless of what the new guy building his house is into, I don't judge people but he still thought of owning his own home. Lots of these so called yahoo boys do not think that way so there must be something different about his reasoning.
And automatically you have already began to question what the young man is into, whether yahoo or not. Why do Nigerians always think every young person who is rich might be doing something illegal? He might have rich parents or has very wonderful pay package with the company he works for, it's that simple.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:43am On Apr 21, 2016
NIgerians and their 'each and everyone should own a house mentality' else he/she is deemed 'a loser'. As rich as Jay-Z and Beyonce are, why do they keep residing in leased place.

7 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by ichidodo: 6:43am On Apr 21, 2016
As soon as you are bouyant and brave enough.....but we prefer owning Caravans.

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by SafetyFirst(m): 6:44am On Apr 21, 2016
[left][/left]v
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by kolnel: 6:44am On Apr 21, 2016
As soon as good and stable money starts coming in
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by goodlifehyd1: 6:45am On Apr 21, 2016
Nice input, i could remember some years back when i decided to "tie money down" i was advised by a friend to get 3 plots but i was like this place is not yet developed at all, i got a plot and completed it, just few weeks ago i called someone in that area to make inquiry for another plot and the price i got was like X6 of what i paid earlier i weak instantly
onotukabiru:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by myners007: 6:46am On Apr 21, 2016
Op u are nt specific with era in ur write up.Do u mean in present day. Nigeria or in the 60's to. 80's. Presently in Naija given the current economic woes one can only envisage owning a house from the age of 50 and above

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Welber(f): 6:48am On Apr 21, 2016
Everything should not be about age

Financial strength should be the considering factor

14 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by SafetyFirst(m): 6:48am On Apr 21, 2016
I think it should be pocket dependent and not by age.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos State Government Removes Illegal Street Gates In Lekki Phase 1 / The Collection Sample Of Stone Coated Roofing Tile For Your Building / Construction Diary Of A Semi Detached Bungalow At Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.