Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

The Untouchables - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Untouchables (1358 Views)

Britain Has Helped Us To ‘touch The Untouchables’, Says Magu / Opinion: There Will Always Be 'the Untouchables. / When Stella Oduah Touched The Untouchables In Aviation Sector - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Untouchables by Odeku(m): 9:10pm On Nov 14, 2006
The Untouchables

The paradigm untouchable is becoming apparent in Nigerian elected government officials. Some government officials commit crimes and we never hear about it, and the others are exposed and ridicule in the press.

Why must this people be redeployed when incompetent?
Why must we waste the government funds on impeachment process to get a corrupt governor out of office?

Why are the big boys defending the young breeds?
Where is the faith we instill in our senators to do the right thing?
Who is fighting corruption in Nigeria?
Why do we have crisis in the Niger Delta?
Why is Nigeria breeding so many bad eggs across the globe?
Every where you go we hear of Nigerians involved in nefarious activities,
How can we save this beloved nation of ours?
Why do we have all the corrupt generals that put us in debt fighting for the presidency?

IS THERE HOPE FOR NIGERIA COME 2007?
Re: The Untouchables by saintchux(m): 10:45pm On Nov 14, 2006
@Odeku
At times I begin to wonder which side you are. You will support government for doing the right thing in the wrong way. You will come to the other side and blame the same government you supported.

Why are you now complaining

na wa ooo

@Odeku

How can we save this beloved nation of ours?

1. Consitution should be supreme.
2. Tell your brother Obasanjo to Obey it (Supreme court ruled that FG have not right to withheld LG fund, for over one year LG fund of Lagos state is still been withheld)
3. Tell your brother Ribadu to follow due process of the law to impeach governors (how can house of Assmebly sit by 5am and 5 legislature impeach a governor)

Can this happen in US?
Re: The Untouchables by Odeku(m): 11:20pm On Nov 14, 2006
I reserve my comment on you dude, you have no idea what a constitution is do you?
like I said try and enroll in a vocational school and read about Nigeria constitution, and not the government class they teach you in secondary school. If you are smart at all you will know the Nigerian constitution is on line and you can read and interpret the definition under provision of section 109(1)(g) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999".

But you only hear what you want and jump to conclusion, I won't be the teacher here, you can't teach old dog a new trick.
Re: The Untouchables by mowapa(m): 11:40pm On Nov 14, 2006
why do you seem to have issue with other when they disagree with your opinion or view of things? this is my understanding having read allot of your thread. please note that people reason at diffrent level. but love u anyway, keep it up.
Nigerian in diaspora should educate our collective family not sell their vote again this coming election is just too important to lose to IBB. ODEKU we go jam 4 CATO or NIGERIA KITCHEN.
Re: The Untouchables by Odeku(m): 11:52pm On Nov 14, 2006
Ok, now. IBB is paying people already and you can tell by the word coming out of some peoples mouth they will kill yo get this evil man there.
Re: The Untouchables by saintchux(m): 5:39am On Nov 15, 2006
Odeku:

I reserve my comment on you dude, you have no idea what a constitution is do you?
like I said try and enroll in a vocational school and read about Nigeria constitution, and not the government class they teach you in secondary school. If you are smart at all you will know the Nigerian constitution is on line and you can read and interpret the definition under provision of section 109(1)(g) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999".

But you only hear what you want and jump to conclusion, I won't be the teacher here, you can't teach old dog a new trick.

Thank you for your advice, I will enroll for me to learn the Nigerian constitution. But I don't need vocational training in Constitution to know that 5 legislatures in plateau state is not up to 2/3., niether do I need the training to enable me know that 6 legislature in not up to 2/3 in Anambra state.

Please you that knows, please teach the legislatures and your brother obasanjo to obey the constitution. The little I know allows me freedom of speech which I am enjoying here, And a lawyer like you is using a derogatory word on me. Let me stop here.

Odeku:

Ok, now. IBB is paying people already and you can tell by the word coming out of some peoples mouth they will kill yo get this evil man there.

I will not vote for IBB that is my position as an individual, but we should not forget that the same constitution IBB right to contest. When shall we start to do the right thing.
please come home during election and vote him out.
Re: The Untouchables by omofineboy(m): 12:21pm On Nov 15, 2006
Odeku you dont need to insult people hwo have opposing views to yours, and if i should ask you why will u insult people becuase of OBJ, also about the constitutional issue I think its about simple Arithmentic find 2/3 of 24 is not = 6 okay, so why will u say Dariye's impeachment is right? we are building something that will consume the whole system soonest.
Re: The Untouchables by Mariory(m): 1:58pm On Nov 15, 2006
Section 109(1) of the constitution.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

109. (1) A member of a House of Assembly shall vacate his seat in the House if -

(a) he becomes a member of another legislative house;

(b) any other circumstances arise that, if he were not a member of that House, would cause him to be disqualified for election as such a member;

(c) he ceases to be a citizen of Nigeria;

(d) he becomes President, Vice-President, Governor, Deputy Governor or a Minister of the Government of the Federation or a Commissioner of the Government of a State or a Special Adviser;

(e) save as otherwise prescribed by this Constitution, he becomes a member of a commission or other body established by this Constitution or by any other law;

(f) without just cause he is absent from meetings of the House of Assembly for a period amounting in the aggregate to more than one-third of the total number of days during which the House meets in any one year;

(g) being a person whose election to the House of Assembly was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected:

Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored; or

(h) the Speaker of the House of Assembly receives a certificate under the hand of the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission stating that the provisions of section 110 of this Constitution have been complied with in respect of the recall of the member.
Re: The Untouchables by mazaje(m): 3:10pm On Nov 15, 2006
Mariory:

(g) being a person whose election to the House of Assembly was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected:

Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored; or

(h) the Speaker of the House of Assembly receives a certificate under the hand of the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission stating that the provisions of section 110 of this Constitution have been complied with in respect of the recall of the member.[/i]

why is it that when the governor and all the members of the jigawa state house of assembly left the ANPP to the PDP(people destroy people) nothing happended? why are they still considered to be valid members of the house? why did'nt the members of the house of assembly vacate their seats? why did'nt INEC declear their seats vacant and conducted new elections? my people lets not be decieved this is just a merry go round and we are only fooling our selves? i am happy dariye is out but due process should be followed why is that its only OBJ's enemies that are always paying the price?
Re: The Untouchables by Odeku(m): 3:22pm On Nov 15, 2006
188. (1) The Governor or Deputy Governor of a state may Removal of Governor be removed from office in accordance with the provisions or Deputy Governor of this section. from office.

(2) Whenever a notice of any allegation in writing signed by not less than one-third of the members of the House of Assembly.

(b) stating that the holder of such office is guilty of gross misconduct in the performance of the functions of his office, detailed particulars of which shall be specified.

the speaker of the House of Assembly shall, within seven days of the receipt of the notice, cause a copy of the notice to be served on the holder of the office and on each member of the House of Assembly, and shall also cause any statement made in reply to the allegation by the holder of the office, to be served on each member of the House of Assembly.

(3) Within fourteen days of the presentation of the notice to the speaker of the House of Assembly (whether or not any statement was made by the holder of the office in reply to the allegation contained in the notice-, the House of Assembly shall resolve by motion, without any debate whether or not the allegation shall be investigated.

(4) A motion of the House of Assembly that the allegation be investigated shall not be declared as having been passed unless it is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of the House of Assembly.

(5) Within seven days of the passing of a motion under the foregoing provisions of this section, the Chief judge of the State shall at the request of the speaker of the House of Assembly, appoint a Panel of seven persons who in his opinion are of unquestionable integrity, not being members of any public service, legislative house or political party, to investigate the allegation as provided in this section.

(6) The holder of an office whose conduct is being investigated under this section shall have the right to defend himself in person or be represented before the panel by a legal practitioner of his own choice.

(7) A Panel appointed under this section shall -

(a) have such powers and exercise its functions in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed by the House of Assembly; and

(b) within three months of its appointment, report its findings to the House of Assembly.

(cool Where the Panel reports to the House of Assembly that the allegation has not been proved, no further proceedings shall be taken in respect of the matter.

(9) Where the report of the Panel is that the allegation against the holder of the office has been proved, then within fourteen days of the receipt of the report, the house of Assembly shall consider the report, and if by a resolution of the House of Assembly supported by not less than two-thirds majority of all its members, the report of the Panel is adopted, then the holder of the office shall stand removed form office as from the date of the adoption of the report.

(10) No proceedings or determination of the Panel or of the House of Assembly or any matter relating to such proceedings or determination shall be entertained or questioned in any court.

(11) In this section -

"gross misconduct" means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion in the House of Assembly to gross misconduct.

(1) (Reply)

In Case We've Forgoten / Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University / Power Project Probe: How Obasanjo, Imoke, Others Wasted N2.5tr !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.