Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,944 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? (9846 Views)

Frustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Fustrated With My Career What Should I Do / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by krestup: 1:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
In this modern society many people are so engrossed in the business of their everyday life that they are no longer conscious whether they are have a job or career. This lack of awareness has made most people confuse about where they are heading in life. Their inability to know the difference between getting a job and pursuing a career has made them to live undefined life.

It’s no surprise if people don’t even bother to know if these two factors are different or the same. I believe this is largely connected to their educational upbringing right from their childhood school days. I tend not to blame the educational system, but we can’t totally say that they don’t share blame in this matter.

From a dictionary definition; a job is an activity/work that one engages him or herself to earn money that will enable them make a living. The sole purpose of a job is based on financial value. A career is also similar in nature but slightly different. It’s a job that you do with an intention, passion and interest to achieve fulfillment.

With this definition established, I want us to take an in-depth analysis of these factors. People who go searching for a job are most times focused on what they can get form the job in terms of monetary benefit. Their sole purpose is to make money disregarding the fact if the job is a perfect fit for them or not.

They are mostly motivated by the benefit they will receive and with that intact, they most times lose the motivation to make impact because they don’t usually derive fulfillment from the job. Forgive me if I am focusing on the negative part of getting a job or rather the effect of setting your mind on only the benefit you will derive from the job. This is the only way you can discover why going out to get a job without true purpose being defined can be detrimental.

A career in itself contains the job aspect because without a job a career is not complete. A career is made up of different factor put together to form one unit. I will like to define it as a job you do that enables you to derive fulfillment from your work, which is an aspect of your life that have to do with you calling.

Though you will work in a job, your mindset is not based on just monetary value (although it’s part of it). You sense of achievement is measured by the impact you want to make toward the growth of the place you work.

Most times you notice the work input of two people working in the same place is different, why? This is because one is driven by the passion to make impact, while the other is driven by the desire to be impacted. Both of them have the desire to work but driven by different motive.

The truth is, getting a job is all part of pursuing a career but the single difference is on the motive and reason that people use to search for it. This single difference will see one person climb up the ladder of success, while the other remaining stagnated for years in one position. This is clearly a matter of the inability to define one’s true career goals and objectives.

Let me say something straight, a career wrongly chosen will lead you towards the path of just getting a job. When ever you see yourself longing for fulfillment in a place and not seeing it fulfilled, take note, you might be in the wrong place. I believe with this fact clearly stated you should know what the difference between getting a job and pursuing a career.

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by krestup: 1:10pm On Apr 20, 2016

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by krestup: 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2016
Pls, I would really like some contribution on this topic......

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by PissedOffWeed(m): 6:37am On Apr 22, 2016
Job these days is modern day slavery

3 Likes

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Amsonme(m): 6:38am On Apr 22, 2016
Job is anything u do to earn ur living it can be ur passion or not. But career is what you have already plan in mind and u have PASSION for it and sometimes u might just be doing it for fun and the love of it.

3 Likes

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by BL3zzY(f): 6:38am On Apr 22, 2016
hummm i never get am well well ooo lol

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by derecho(m): 6:38am On Apr 22, 2016
OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL
DATE: FRIDAY 22ND APRIL 2016

THEME: GODLY SORROW? 

MEMORISE: For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 2ndCorinthians 7:10

READ: Luke 22: 60-62
60 And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the rooster crew.
61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the rooster crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
62 And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

When Peter realized that he did not fulfil his promise to not deny Jesus Christ, the Bible says: “…he went out, and wept bitterly” (Matthew 26:75). This is what we call godly sorrow and it has its blessings.
When an individual is confronted with reality of his sinful life and the certainty of hell, if he is not a reprobate, he will mourn of his woes. The best way to mourn for one’s sin is to confess and forsake them.
“He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Happy is the man that feareth always: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.” Proverbs 28:13-14

In our Bible reading for today, the Pharisee went to the temple, only to begin to eulogise himself about all his good deeds. The Publican, on the other hand, smote his heart and mourned for his sins. Some of us have been so self-conceited for too long a time that we have piled-up sins that are now standing in our ways to spiritual revival.
The Bible says:
“And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven but smote upon his breast, saying God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one that exaleteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” Luke 18:13-14

Beloved of the Lord, let us examine ourselves and see where we are falling short of God’s grace for living holy. Let us repent genuinely, and come back to our first love. I pray that the Lord will revive you today in Jesus’ name.

PRAYER POINT:
Father, I need a revival of holiness, please revive me again.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 2 Samuel 21-22 and Proverbs 14:4-17

AUTHOR: Pst E. A ADEBOYE

HYMN 4: TAKE MY LIFE AND LET IT BE

1. Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

2. Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

3. Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.

4. Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.

5. Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.

6. Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by gbaskiboy: 6:38am On Apr 22, 2016
Am here to learn OP

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by banme1(m): 6:39am On Apr 22, 2016
Too early to comment
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by seunakin231(m): 6:39am On Apr 22, 2016
Career is fulfilment, job is to get busy, avoid being idle, the truth is, in Niaja, anywhere belle face oo, @ the long run, if u re growing on ur job, slowly becomes ur career

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by wrahzaq(m): 6:41am On Apr 22, 2016
Nice write up
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by babyfaceafrica: 6:41am On Apr 22, 2016
Career is the best.. Job na temporal things
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Bensondrums(m): 6:42am On Apr 22, 2016
Hmmmm..nice one op
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by yomalex(m): 6:42am On Apr 22, 2016
Most people are looking for jobs. Career is dependent.
Check out www.tipsdome.com/category/jobs for the latest vacancies
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Nobody: 6:42am On Apr 22, 2016
Very nice one op.

I try to remember some of the things you wrote up there when I make plans. I have a career -though sort of nascent- and hopefully, I don't get carried away by a fancy job that would take me off my chosen career path. A job simpli cita may not give me satisfaction...

Again, nice one.

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 22, 2016
grin

5 Likes

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by adedam007(m): 7:05am On Apr 22, 2016
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 22, 2016
Nice one op

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Bimpe29: 7:09am On Apr 22, 2016
Well articulated piece. This is largely promoted by non professionalised job opening.

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Codedrock(m): 7:09am On Apr 22, 2016
Dropped out of skul this year to focus on my careers.
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by TrollTrap: 7:11am On Apr 22, 2016
Ok so basically my career is sucking brezz embarassed kiss
But my job unfortunately is in retail angry angry
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by samx4real(m): 7:27am On Apr 22, 2016
derecho:
OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL
DATE: FRIDAY 22ND APRIL 2016

THEME: GODLY SORROW? 

MEMORISE: For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 2ndCorinthians 7:10

READ: Luke 22: 60-62
60 And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the rooster crew.
61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the rooster crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
62 And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

When Peter realized that he did not fulfil his promise to not deny Jesus Christ, the Bible says: “…he went out, and wept bitterly” (Matthew 26:75). This is what we call godly sorrow and it has its blessings.
When an individual is confronted with reality of his sinful life and the certainty of hell, if he is not a reprobate, he will mourn of his woes. The best way to mourn for one’s sin is to confess and forsake them.
“He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Happy is the man that feareth always: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.” Proverbs 28:13-14

In our Bible reading for today, the Pharisee went to the temple, only to begin to eulogise himself about all his good deeds. The Publican, on the other hand, smote his heart and mourned for his sins. Some of us have been so self-conceited for too long a time that we have piled-up sins that are now standing in our ways to spiritual revival.
The Bible says:
“And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven but smote upon his breast, saying God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one that exaleteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” Luke 18:13-14

Beloved of the Lord, let us examine ourselves and see where we are falling short of God’s grace for living holy. Let us repent genuinely, and come back to our first love. I pray that the Lord will revive you today in Jesus’ name.

PRAYER POINT:
Father, I need a revival of holiness, please revive me again.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 2 Samuel 21-22 and Proverbs 14:4-17

AUTHOR: Pst E. A ADEBOYE

HYMN 4: TAKE MY LIFE AND LET IT BE

1. Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

2. Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

3. Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.

4. Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.

5. Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.

6. Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

This is a clear example of a career grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by nmreports: 7:29am On Apr 22, 2016
It's simple.
Perhaps some of us may learn from this.

For an employee;
A job is one that pays you earnings at the end of the month. Sometimes it could be because there is no career plans for your kind of job until you become certified. It's just a job.
A career is one that has a growth trajectory. Not just a growth trajectory but a job you are passionate about.

For an entrepreneur however:
A job AND a career is the same.
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by palladin: 7:30am On Apr 22, 2016
True
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by labamo07(m): 7:37am On Apr 22, 2016
When you don't have a job, your career is finished..............

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by banio: 7:40am On Apr 22, 2016
PissedOffWeed:
Job these days is modern day slavery

Rightly said. Profiteering leads to this, even oil Multinationals wit lots of money are still perpetrators

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by lonelydora: 7:47am On Apr 22, 2016
I had the two initially, until one motherfucker of a manager was employed and he messed up the whole system. Now leaving me with having a job only.

I'm still doing it though but not with 100% of my heart. It's the money that's still keeping me there shaa while running my private biz.
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by omojeesu(m): 7:48am On Apr 22, 2016
A career is your lifelong chosen area or field of knowledge, skill and practice for which you have specifically been trained e.g.engineering career, nursing career, etc. A job is an employment you secure to earn income whether or not it is in tandem with your career. Your job is the work you are doing at the moment. It may even be more than one. You do a job but pursue your career to get to its highest level e.g. a university lecturer wants to become a Professor and Vice Chancellor but may end up not attaining this before retirement.

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Icon4s(m): 7:50am On Apr 22, 2016
Both
Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by Odaiks: 7:50am On Apr 22, 2016
Nice write up. There seem to be some reasoning therein. Career and job have their differences as clearly articulated by the writer. The apparent reality in Nigeria is the difficulty in getting a career or a job. The reason is certainly not far-fetched. As a result of this difficulty, one is only motivated to get a job even when the passion is not guaranteed. If lucky in this quest, you may land one that can be considered a career.

If on the other hand you get a job you have not conceived to do but with the difficulty in getting a dream job, pay package can make you take the job seriously. Before long, you will see yourself developing a passion for it and seeing, with an eagle's eye, where you will want to be in the future.

In my reckoning, the pay package can be a motivation to stimulate passion and thus, a career. Bottom line, there is a nexus between a job and a career and it is the pay package.

2 Likes

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by highbeeola(m): 7:55am On Apr 22, 2016
Codedrock:
Dropped out of skul this year to focus on my careers.

Thinking of doing the same waking up everymorning having in mind have to go 2 skul makes me sad.

1 Like

Re: Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? by dayoungmoney1: 7:57am On Apr 22, 2016
Typing...

(1) (2) (Reply)

YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria / My Former Company Refuse To Acknowledge My Pension / New Horizon Vs Niit Which Will You Recommend For Training In Oracle Database

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.