Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You (32318 Views)

Please At What Time Will Airtel Night Bonus Start Counting? / Which Is The Highest Selling Smartphone Brand In Nigeria? / Infinix Note 3: The Most Searched Android Smartphone Of 2016 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by khalhokage(m): 9:36am On Apr 21, 2016
0ubenji:

aw e no go sell pass iPhone and samsung
u don forget price factor?
one iphone 5 wud buy nearly a dozen of dat nokia mehn

They stopped making this phone before the 1st IPhone was released, so it what you're saying doesn't even make sense.
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by madenigga2dcore(m): 9:36am On Apr 21, 2016
DE PHONE TOO DE GET JOYSTICK PROBLEM....... SAME WITH 3230 ...... YOU CANT SCROLL DOWN WHEN THE JOYSTICK IS STIFF
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by 0ubenji(m): 10:25am On Apr 21, 2016
khalhokage:

They stopped making this phone before the 1st IPhone was released, so it what you're saying doesn't even make sense.
Am appalled u've to resort to insults to prove points in an intellectual debate
U ofcuz shud knw I am makin no comparison of both fone sales within d confines of same production period..
U need to digest ur co-debater's points to counter it intellectually
Both fones were produced at different technology periods
..Now my point..which u've refused to grasp is dis..
Irrespective of the times both fones were made..
The fmr is expected to make more sellin units than d latter due to various reasons of which pricing is a factor..
I don't wanna resort to insults..buh as learned as u seem to be..u shud knw dat pricing is a very key factor in the marketability of smartphones,,no mata aw sophisticated the commodity is..
I was only makin sure u the OP takes dat into cognizance..dats all
Another reason d nokia cud sell as much; then, if I may add is market dominance
D competition was not stifled in d technology market like dat of today..
Mobile fone technology was more or less a one-way street wit nokia then..which cud av enhanced such massive sales..
Pls..mk it a point of duty to throw points in debates..not insults..it'll help u learn

1 Like

Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by dimexy247(m): 10:47am On Apr 21, 2016
If you have attended over 100 weddings & you are still single, you are not different from a canopy
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by dimexy247(m): 10:47am On Apr 21, 2016
Op, now you have to be careful....
CAREFUL, VERY VERY CAREFUUUUUUUUUUUUUL
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by blackweaver(m): 11:23am On Apr 21, 2016
khalhokage:
If you were asked to name the top selling smartphone of all time, lemme guess…perhaps you would mention an iPhone model or perhaps a Samsung Galaxy model. Or perhaps you wouldn’t. But if you mentioned either, you would be wrong.

The top selling smartphone of all time belongs to an older generation. Nokia 6600 is a 2003 smartphone running Series 60 2nd Edition (in other words, Symbian OS ). It had a distinctive physical design that stood it out from the crowd, but it was also the most advanced product ever launched by Nokia at the time. Have a look.

The Nokia 6600 sold 150 million units in its lifetime, and is number 6 on the list of top 10 bestselling mobile phones ever. All the other phones on that list are feature phones. No other smartphone has made it there till date. Production of the 6600 was stopped in 2007.

For perspective, the top selling iPhone model is the iPhone 5 with 70 million units sold, and the bestselling Samsung smartphone is the Galaxy S4 with 80 million units sold.

Mobility Arena

Op, while i don't have any issue with what you have written, you were only quoting your source after all, I do have issues with your source. They mention a list of the top 10 phones, they do not give any information about the list or any references to corroborate their information. Anyway i did a little search of my own and discovered that the bolded part is wrong. The Nokia 5230 which ran symbian series 60 5th edition sold nearly as many if not more phones as the 6600. In fact in the following link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/01/26/the-20-bestselling-mobile-phones-of-all-time/
the 6600 is ranked 6th while the 5230 is ranked 5th
Also on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones
both phones are ranked the same.
Like I said, I don't have any issue with your post, my issue is with your source.

Other links with lists of top selling phones are as follows:
http://www.buymobilephoneinsurance.com/blog/top-20-best-selling-mobile-phones-of-all-time
http://www.technobezz.com/the-20-best-selling-phones-of-all-times

and some of these links didn't even feature the 6600
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by khalhokage(m): 12:14pm On Apr 21, 2016
0ubenji:

Am appalled u've to resort to insults to prove points in an intellectual debate
U ofcuz shud knw I am makin no comparison of both fone sales within d confines of same production period..
U need to digest ur co-debater's points to counter it intellectually
Both fones were produced at different technology periods
..Now my point..which u've refused to grasp is dis..
Irrespective of the times both fones were made..
The fmr is expected to make more sellin units than d latter due to various reasons of which pricing is a factor..
I don't wanna resort to insults..buh as learned as u seem to be..u shud knw dat pricing is a very key factor in the marketability of smartphones,,no mata aw sophisticated the commodity is..
I was only makin sure u the OP takes dat into cognizance..dats all
Another reason d nokia cud sell as much; then, if I may add is market dominance
D competition was not stifled in d technology market like dat of today..
Mobile fone technology was more or less a one-way street wit nokia then..which cud av enhanced such massive sales..
Pls..mk it a point of duty to throw points in debates..not insults..it'll help u learn

I never insulted you, and you came off as a fanboy, and that ticked me off.

And fact still stands, the Nokia 6600 is the best-selling smartphone to date, you could argue about pricing and market dominance but it's still why it is, nobody is saying it is better than an IPhone, we're just saying that in It's lifetime it sold better than any other smartphone.
This is just a matter of numbers.
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by khalhokage(m): 12:24pm On Apr 21, 2016
blackweaver:

Op, while i don't have any issue with what you have written, you were only quoting your source after all, I do have issues with your source. They mention a list of the top 10 phones, they do not give any information about the list or any references to corroborate their information. Anyway i did a little search of my own and discovered that the bolded part is wrong. The Nokia 5230 which ran symbian series 60 5th edition sold nearly as many if not more phones as the 6600. In fact in the following link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/01/26/the-20-bestselling-mobile-phones-of-all-time/
the 6600 is ranked 6th while the 5230 is ranked 5th
Also on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones
both phones are ranked the same.
Like I said, I don't have any issue with your post, my issue is with your source.

Other links with lists of top selling phones are as follows:
http://www.buymobilephoneinsurance.com/blog/top-20-best-selling-mobile-phones-of-all-time
http://www.technobezz.com/the-20-best-selling-phones-of-all-times

and some of these links didn't even feature the 6600

I guess I should have researched more, it seems that the Nokia 5230 is actually the best-selling smartphone of all time.

But you'll agree that any source that doesn't include the 6600 is inaccurate.
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by eyoniggar(m): 1:04pm On Apr 21, 2016
Na this phone i use bang dupe that time. Thanks Nokia for this phone oo..Bought it 65k bran-new then.
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by clemz85(m): 1:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
Joy stick things, loved the phone though
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 21, 2016
RasheedUmar:
Did it outsell 3310?

Is 3310 a smartphone?
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by blackweaver(m): 1:12pm On Apr 22, 2016
khalhokage:

I guess I should have researched more, it seems that the Nokia 5230 is actually the best-selling smartphone of all time.

But you'll agree that any source that doesn't include the 6600 is inaccurate.

If you checked my post well, you would notice the fact that I didn't dispute the fact that the 6600 was the best selling phone, in fact even the links I cited gave them the same figure (> 150m). It was only the fact that the 6600 was listed as the ONLY smartphone in the top 10 that I took issue with. I guess there wasn't enough information to tell which actually sold more
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 1:25am On Sep 22, 2016
lordcenred:
chai! phone wer I don cari stone person head break, fall am inside water yet nothing de mek am off.
N70 nko?
... Hahaha .. N70 was my favourite .. Would play and download every 3d games I came across then ..

1 Like

Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 1:38am On Sep 22, 2016
Symbians .. Loved em back them .. Their existence brought about the existence of minimizing .. I doubt if Symbians are still available around now
Re: The Top Selling Smartphone Of All Time Will Surprise You by larrypourl(m): 10:05am On Sep 24, 2016
symbianDON:
instead buying the 6600 back then, I bought the sendo X. the sendo X was a more solid, better alternative in those days......aaaaahhh memories grin

Had a classmate back then that used that Sendo X. Played soccer on it like hell. Na big boy then. grin
symbianDON:
instead buying the 6600 back then, I bought the sendo X. the sendo X was a more solid, better alternative in those days......aaaaahhh memories grin

Had a classmate back then that used that Sendo X. Played soccer on it like hell. Na big boy then.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Infinix Hot S3 Official Discussion Thread / Infinix Note 7 Review After 2 Weeks Of Use / Unveiling Of The TECNO SPARK 10 Series (specifications And Images)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.