Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,790 members, 7,806,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) (1032 Views)

Scared. A Flash Fiction / Yewande Omotoso & Ayobami Adebayo Nominated Baileys Women’s Prize For Fiction / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by nicholausian(m): 8:29pm On Apr 20, 2016
Surprise For Suitor

I adjusted my tie as I knocked on the Ade-Coker's door. My well worn suit, rested enduringly on my frame. 5:47, my cheap watch said.

"Yes, how can I help you?" an advanced woman I assumed was Mrs Ade-Coker; Rachael's mother, demanded.

I wasn't sure how to introduce myself. Rachael had said I'd be expected.

I'm the boy marrying Rachael if you guys will approve. No, that's absurd

I'm your daughter's boyfriend soon to be her husband. No.

I'm your daughter's suitor. Hell no, who says 'suitor' anymore?

I'm... I'm...

As I dithered inwardly, on how best to introduce myself to my future mother-in-law, she seemed to realise something.

"Oh! You're... My daughter's... "

" Yes, " I said, grateful she'd saved me from fooling with introductions. I'd never had my way with words anyway.

"Please, come in."

I let myself into a wide well furnished living room. Oddly, I sensed sadness within it.

"Please, have a seat," she said, "what shall I get you?"

I'd have liked a beer but that wasn't to be if I wanted Rachael's hand in marriage. Who would give away his daughter to a drinkard?

"Water please." I said politely.

"My husband and I would be with you shortly."

Ages later, I sat with the Ade-Cokers and wondered where Rachael could be. "

"Where's..." somehow I couldn't say 'Rachael' in front of her parents, "where's your daughter?" I said instead.

"My daughter? " the male Ade-Coker who I thought was going senile, asked confusedly.

"He means our other daughter, " the woman informed him.

I didn't know Rachael had any sister.

"So did you bring any documents?" the woman asked.

I wondered what documents I could have brought. My employment letter; current bank account balance, perhaps.

"No ma, I didn't know I had to."

The woman looked a bit perplexed, "you're here to tell us about our daughter, aren't you?"

"Well, " I said uneasily ," I guess you could put it that way. "

"So how did she die? " she asked.

It took me a while to comprehend.

"Rachael's dead?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Who Rachael?" she asked equally nonplussed, "aren't you the coroner who's supposed to tell us about our daughter, Ebere's death?"

"No," I screamed, shocked "isn't this the Ade-Coker's house?"

"No! The Ade-Cokers live next door!"

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by Ashiat39(f): 9:31pm On Apr 20, 2016
grin grin grin laugh wan kill me here oo. I lyk ds, it somehow makes my day
Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by nicholausian(m): 8:50am On Apr 21, 2016
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it smiley
Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by Emperortj93(m): 10:33am On Apr 27, 2016
hehehehehe my bro is finally catching some humor good word
Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by jacy67(f): 10:48am On Apr 27, 2016
Phew!!! My heart almost jumped out! Such a relief that he was in the wrong house after all.

1 Like

Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by nicholausian(m): 2:35pm On Apr 27, 2016
jacy67:
Phew!!! My heart almost jumped out! Such a relief that he was in the wrong house after all.

LOL, abi.
Thanks
Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by nicholausian(m): 2:37pm On Apr 27, 2016
Emperortj93:
hehehehehe my bro is finally catching some humor good word

Hmmmm,
Thanks
Re: Surprise For Suitor (flash Fiction) by Tomtoxic: 9:04pm On Oct 13, 2016
lol this is crazy

(1) (Reply)

Romantic Story : House Of Lust (18+) Season 2 Episode 1 / Book's Excerpt: Max Siollun's Soldiers Of Fortune(history Of Nigeria) / The River Of Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.