Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? (2503 Views)

Gearbest Is Offering Laptops And Smartphones For Unbelievable Prices - Check / It's 2016 And Samsung Just Revealed A Flip Phone Yesterday / Phones That Will Never Support Whatsapp At The End Of 2016 And The Solution (2) (3) (4)

2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 11:04am On Apr 21, 2016
Two things became obvious at the end of March 2016. One: Android is still a learner when it comes to gaming and two: smartphones have become boring.

Sure, the iPhone SE was a pleasant (MTN Style) attempt at diversifying Apple's line up, the Galaxy S7 can fall in a bucket of water, the G5 has an accessory slot, the HTC 10 is the purest form of android and even our own Boom J8 is the pinnacle of sound. But that's genuinely all there is to each of them. These devices have not redefined the way we use our phones, nor have they blown anybody away with unbelievable speeds, or wowed PHCN with extraordinary battery life. So who e epp?

Each of these new phones is merely a marginal improvement over the previous model. And they're all actually remarkably similar in some ways. The Android phones all feature the exact same processor (The J8 stacks up with the likes of Hot 3). They're all using fast charge batteries that get you up to 50% battery life in a matter of minutes. They all have 1440p displays (Sadly the J8 and Hot 3 are still touting meager 720p displays) that are pretty damn amazing. They all have slabs of glass and metal that will fall from Transcorp and survive and still be slick enough to be a fashion accessory for bae.

The only differences between them are in the minute details. This one dey swim, or that wan dey come with free data. This one get HiOs while the other one na TouchWiz. The few phones that still excite people are the "mumu" ones (I dey look iPhone now).

Phone designs have reached the ceiling. The wild advances we've seem for the last 10 years are winding off. They're fast enough to play 1080p video without breaking (something that wasn't even possible in 2014) and the camera's can snap an edo witch in the night. Even the screens have improved. In fact only developing markets like ours still get super budget phones with below par displays.

The challenge is no longer finding a good phone-it's finding a bad one. And that isn't a bad thing (unfortunately for all out tech bloggers). Stability in design and marginal improvements in speed and battery life means you don't have to upgrade your phone as often. Which is great now that most phones don dey chop the same money as house rent. People ain't buying like they used to. Apple and Samsung have reported downslide in their sales growth in the last two quarters...is the magic fading already?

So today I can walk into the market and buy an infinix or Tecno device and still get everything including the newly launched Ntel 4G service and someone using an S7 would look at his bank statement and ask: This 2016 model sef...who e epp?

Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by omoalajah(m): 12:26pm On Apr 21, 2016
Reading through this post, I found it funny but it's filled with truth sha. Who high end smart phones don Epp? I am okay with my Tecno phone, Samsung and Apple can make whatever!!! Ain't spending over 100k on any device. ***Commenting from my Tecno Camon C8***
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 12:30pm On Apr 21, 2016
omoalajah:
Reading through this post, I found it funny but it's filled with truth sha. Who high end smart phones don Epp? I am okay with my Tecno phone, Samsung and Apple can make whatever!!! Ain't spending over 100k on any device. ***Commenting from my Tecno Camon C8***

Lol... I'm of the "to each his own" faction, I think you can spend any amount you want but changing phones every year is pointless now as the differed are so small... Look at s6 and s7 or iPhone 6 and 6s. Little changed. Why spend 170 last year and spend another 200 this year just because they changed the camera by 0.1 focal lens or added 3D Touch?
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by ibibiofirstlady(f): 12:14am On Apr 22, 2016
seunpayne:
Two things became obvious at the end of March 2016. One: Android is still a learner when it comes to gaming and two: smartphones have become boring.

Sure, the iPhone SE was a pleasant (MTN Style) attempt at diversifying Apple's line up, the Galaxy S7 can fall in a bucket of water, the G5 has an accessory slot, the HTC 10 is the purest form of android and even our own Boom J8 is the pinnacle of sound. But that's genuinely all there is to each of them. These devices have not redefined the way we use our phones, nor have they blown anybody away with unbelievable speeds, or wowed PHCN with extraordinary battery life. So who e epp?

Each of these new phones is merely a marginal improvement over the previous model. And they're all actually remarkably similar in some ways. The Android phones all feature the exact same processor (The J8 stacks up with the likes of Hot 3). They're all using fast charge batteries that get you up to 50% battery life in a matter of minutes. They all have 1440p displays (Sadly the J8 and Hot 3 are still touting meager 720p displays) that are pretty damn amazing. They all have slabs of glass and metal that will fall from Transcorp and survive and still be slick enough to be a fashion accessory for bae.

The only differences between them are in the minute details. This one dey swim, or that wan dey come with free data. This one get HiOs while the other one na TouchWiz. The few phones that still excite people are the "mumu" ones (I dey look iPhone now).

Phone designs have reached the ceiling. The wild advances we've seem for the last 10 years are winding off. They're fast enough to play 1080p video without breaking (something that wasn't even possible in 2014) and the camera's can snap an edo witch in the night. Even the screens have improved. In fact only developing markets like ours still get super budget phones with below par displays.

The challenge is no longer finding a good phone-it's finding a bad one. And that isn't a bad thing (unfortunately for all out tech bloggers). Stability in design and marginal improvements in speed and battery life means you don't have to upgrade your phone as often. Which is great now that most phones don dey chop the same money as house rent. People ain't buying like they used to. Apple and Samsung have reported downslide in their sales growth in the last two quarters...is the magic fading already?

So today I can walk into the market and buy an infinix or Tecno device and still get everything including the newly launched Ntel 4G service and someone using an S7 would look at his bank statement and ask: This 2016 model sef...who e epp?
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 6:21am On Apr 22, 2016
Tough crowd, First Lady say something na
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by NCP: 6:46am On Apr 22, 2016
seunpayne:
Tough crowd, First Lady say something na

Guy na great piece you pen for that OP.

Thank God. Make l stick to my galaxy note 3 with Zerolemon Battery.

All my tabs are gradually back to life. No follow come battery will ever hold me hostage over my property again.

l power each tab directly from a power bank whenever l want to use either the 7 or 10 inch tab.
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by 360koncepts: 3:47pm On Apr 22, 2016
Expensive Smartphones never help anyone ooo.... A good Tecno device should do all basic things
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by jheed: 4:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
360koncepts:
Expensive Smartphones never help anyone ooo.... A good Tecno device should do all basic things
that right no wastage of money
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by yinka360nl1: 4:26pm On Apr 22, 2016
As long as my phone can handle tasks fine, good camera and impressive battery then it can epp me... Nothing more..
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 22, 2016
seunpayne:

smartphones have been in an evolutionary state for the past 2 years or so,I guess that's y most people advise people with the previous gen phone to not switch to new gen models e.g someome going from a galaxy s5 to s7 is bound to notice more changes,improvements and speed boost than say an s6 owner same with other smartphone and it is even believed that if a new gen phone is far more impressive than the previous gen then the previous gen phone mist have been a big flop
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 6:44pm On Apr 22, 2016
NCP:

Guy na great piece you pen for that OP.

Thank God. Make l stick to my galaxy note 3 with Zerolemon Battery.

All my tabs are gradually back to life. No follow come battery will ever hold me hostage over my property again.

l power each tab directly from a power bank whenever l want to use either the 7 or 10 inch tab.
Omo you are living on the harsh side of life. Guy Samsung is waiting for your money...abi you no like s7 grin
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
yinka360nl1:
As long as my phone can handle tasks fine, good camera and impressive battery then it can epp me... Nothing more..

Well said. And let's be honest most 2014 flagships still fall in this category and don't break the bank...
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 6:47pm On Apr 22, 2016
davthom:
smartphones have been in an evolutionary state for the past 2 years or so,I guess that's y most people advise people with the previous gen phone to not switch to new gen models e.g someome going from a galaxy s5 to s7 is bound to notice more changes,improvements and speed boost than say an s6 owner same with other smartphone and it is even believed that if a new gen phone is far more impressive than the previous gen then the previous gen phone mist have been a big flop

A two year jump makes a lot of sense. I fact that's what I practice. Another practice is the 1 year delay. Don't get a flagship until a new model comes out then go for the previous one. It's easier to get an infinix zero 2 or an s6 or an iPhone 6s than coughing out a hefty premium to get the latest when the difference is marginal
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by Youngpo413: 7:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
Just your well composed English, nothing else.
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by joey150(m): 7:23pm On Apr 22, 2016
Law of diminishing returns.

When you have companies just make phone because they dont want to be forgotten this is what happens.

Companies no longer take time to design flagships. Once apple releases one, samsung wouldn't want to fall behind same as htc and Sony and lg.

The phone market is glutted with so many phones with simillar features just different names and maybe price and slight quality differneces.

There needs to be a truce..great reduction in the manner and rush that these phones are released. Only then, will we see exponential improvements in newer models. Same goes for the os updates to.
Nice read. I like that its a bit cheeky to.
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 7:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
Youngpo413:
Just your well composed English, nothing else.

We take all our advantages
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 7:53pm On Apr 22, 2016
joey150:
Law of diminishing returns.

When you have companies just make phone because they dont want to be forgotten this is what happens.

Companies no longer take time to design flagships. Once apple releases one, samsung wouldn't want to fall behind same as htc and Sony and lg.

The phone market is glutted with so many phones with simillar features just different names and maybe price and slight quality differneces.

There needs to be a truce..great reduction in the manner and rush that these phones are released. Only then, will we see exponential improvements in newer models. Same goes for the os updates to.
Nice read. I like that its a bit cheeky to.

True talk. And thanks
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
seunpayne:

A two year jump makes a lot of sense. I fact that's what I practice. Another practice is the 1 year delay. Don't get a flagship until a new model comes out then go for the previous one. It's easier to get an infinix zero 2 or an s6 or an iPhone 6s than coughing out a hefty premium to get the latest when the difference is marginal
yea especially when the previous model are still super fast and premium feeling.though I disagree on the zero 2 or any other midrange phone.what makes midrangers so great is the fact that their successors are usually far better e.g the xiaomi redmi note to the note 2,3 and 3 pro.the letv(or le eco) and their successors that have 6gb ram and the helio x20 chip on a $170 phone,basically,yearly upgrades are usually more defendable when it comes to mid rangers
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 9:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
davthom:
yea especially when the previous model are still super fast and premium feeling.though I disagree on the zero 2 or any other midrange phone.what makes midrangers so great is the fact that their successors are usually far better e.g the xiaomi redmi note to the note 2,3 and 3 pro.the letv(or le eco) and their successors that have 6gb ram and the helio x20 chip on a $170 phone,basically,yearly upgrades are usually more defendable when it comes to mid rangers

Are they? To the target market are they really? When a lower class citizen buys zero 2 moo na big deal o. To shell out another 40k the next year is a bigger deal when nothing do the phone. At every level I think the same rule applies. For those already spending up to $600 on a phone these midrangers all seem cheap. But that's only because it's not your level. But that letv upgrade though...6GB ram?? Damn...dem no go kill pesin.
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by LasoulMacuby(m): 9:01am On Apr 23, 2016
omoalajah:
I concur
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2016
LasoulMacuby:

I concur

Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by BluePearls(m): 11:01am On Apr 23, 2016
Interesting piece grin
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 1:24pm On Apr 23, 2016
BluePearls:
Interesting piece grin

Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 2:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
I don't get somebody will shell out 100k to buy phone,
as they usually ask "The phone fit call my dead grandfather??"

One of my guy get one itel android he bought for 12,000. The phone can play football, racing game e.t.c. D camara is normal and it's fast as a normal phone.

Even tecno, infinix and gionee and representing in terms of shape, camera and battery, so what am i looking for in a phone again??
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 4:07pm On Apr 23, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
I don't get somebody will shell out 100k to buy phone,
as they usually ask "The phone fit call my dead grandfather??"

One of my guy get one itel android he bought for 12,000. The phone can play football, racing game e.t.c. D camara is normal and it's fast as a normal phone.

Even tecno, infinix and gionee and representing in terms of shape, camera and battery, so what am i looking for in a phone again??

For you, nothing else. I have learned though that people buy phones for different reasons. Reasons ranging from solid to whimsical. It's a matter of perspective really.

What I can't justify though is spending ridiculous amounts of money every year in other to keep with a trend that isn't even in the slightest a step better than the last. (Usually more like a shuffle forward). Gone are the days when each phone brought something new. Gone is the wow factor. Today it's just numbers changing. How fast it goes, how much ram it has, how much battery has been crammed into a sleek metal body and how much money you have to part with. E dey tire pesin abeg
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by louiscole360: 7:42pm On Apr 27, 2016
Like Timaya, right??

LasoulMacuby:

I concur
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by louiscole360: 7:47pm On Apr 27, 2016
Yh, I grab that point totally!
Them just dey use person chop!!

seunpayne:

Lol... I'm of the "to each his own" faction, I think you can spend any amount you want but changing phones every year is pointless now as the differed are so small... Look at s6 and s7 or iPhone 6 and 6s. Little changed. Why spend 170 last year and spend another 200 this year just because they changed the camera by 0.1 focal lens or added 3D Touch?
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by Whiteee(m): 9:24am On Apr 29, 2016
true talk
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 29, 2016
wanna buy a phone if 15-20k need suggestions
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
louiscole360:
Yh, I grab that point totally!
Them just dey use person chop!!

and if you follow trend e go dey like say the money na nonsense. People dey change phone anyhow for this country o...Just dey intimidate pesin angry
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by seunpayne(m): 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
netoc65:
wanna buy a phone if 15-20k need suggestions

With this Dollar? Xtouch...check it out on jumia
Re: 2016 And Smartphones: Who E Epp? by TundeSalamu(m): 1:42pm On Apr 29, 2016
What Tecno, infinix and co are simply telling the likes of Apple and Samsung as long as Smartphone are concerned is that they should goan die.

Apple Vision Pro Will Replace All Mobile Phones / Cheap Voip Call In Nigeria For As Low As N5 Per Min . / Unique Reason Why Tecno Are Doing Better Than Samsung And Nokia,

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72