Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,747 members, 7,802,288 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria (3549 Views)

Why Is Obesity Growing Out Of Proportion? / Obesity Is A Disease / Home Remedies To Beat Obesity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria by pstjoga: 12:11pm On Apr 21, 2016
Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health. It is defined by genetic and environmental factors that are difficult to control when dieting.
Obesity is Africa’s new crisis. South Africa typifies this alarming new trend, with nearly double the average global obesity rates, and according to another report has become the world’s third fattest nation. Nearly two-thirds of the population is overweight and, unlike in the developed world, the problem afflicts more women than men. Incredibly, 69.3% of South African females display unhealthy levels of body fat and more than four in 10 are clinically obese (defined as having a BMI higher than 30).
These findings emerged in a Lancet study published in May which analysed data over a 33-year span from 188 countries. It found the rise in global obesity rates was “rapid, substantial and widespread, presenting a major public health epidemic in both the developed and developing world”. More than half the women in Botswana and one in eight Nigerian men [/b]are also obese, for example, while Egypt saw one of the fastest rises among women
Currently, one in three U.S. adults is obese, [b]bringing forth a possible health toll, including high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Another third of Americans are overweight.
FACTS
• Blacks, Hispanics and Native people are much more likely to be obese than whites, according to data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
• Low-income people are less likely to have access to recreation and fitness facilities, and more than 38 percent of low-income people have limited access to healthy foods.

Join the campaign and help everyone in this condition by being part of our FREE Health Seminars across the country. Invite them to avoid the possibility of falling into the health problems mentioned above. Feel free and call me or SMS on 08132248770 for Venues close to you. We can also come to your organization or group if you so desire.
Note: You too could slide into Obesity if not checked. So, be part of this seminar.

Re: Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria by pwettiejay(f): 1:09pm On Apr 21, 2016
Cause; Junk food
Re: Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 21, 2016
Didn't want to waste brain power on an obvious advertisement but would do it anyway. In South Africa its a combination of poverty and the general mindset of the people causing obesity especially amongst the female folk: men there see female beauty as a fully figured female - the fatter the better. In poor townships(comprising generally of blacks) the bigger and well fed a woman, the better she can raise children in times of hardship especially in a white-run economy where proper jobs're an uncertainty for lower class black-africans. I find it funny their general diet is more balanced and health-oriented compared to the West African one but their mindset holds them back.

In Nigeria obesity is not really a problem because for every overweight person I come across I see 50 underweight individuals. The statistics on health and weight here're probably generated by gyms looking for patronage. Gyms are a liability in this part of the world because nobody needs them; the hot environment and constant worry over survival keeps us lean in size and over-stressed in mind. If true that people're now getting overweight its because individuals with newly-acquired wealth now choose to live more sedentary lives. A walk at intervals during the day can quickly fix their situation notwithstanding the fact our diet is majorly carbs and oil.

Egypt's problem is different. I read in a CNN article once that tension from civil unrest there has forced people to binge eat for comfort. Not my region of the world so I can't say but the source is highly reliable I would stick with it.
Re: Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria by pstjoga: 3:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
It may seem to many like an advert but until we begin to take our health more serious, I think we will be the major winner. Whether under weight or over weight, its already a health challenge. We should equally learn how to encourage not to discourage. what seems to us as not a problem at the moment was where South Africa found themselves about some decades ago but I tell you, if you research and see how they feel about their condition today, you will know that its not all about culture or the way they want to see their women.
Mentality is vital to how you see your health. It is not because you acquired wealth or extra income but I believe we know there are many poor obese persons who are dying gradually without knowing.
For those who think their health is important or who think there is someone that might need these basic but important health secrets, you can give it a trial. REMEMBER, IT IS FREE!
Re: Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria by gynny(f): 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2016
Being overweight can also cause problems for children in their health and even how there feel about themselves. Obesity occurs when you take in more calories than your body can use or burn through exercise and normal day to day activities. Click on the link below to read more on obesity and treatments for obesity
http://www.gigihealth.com/obesity-this-is-why-you-should-lose-some-healthy-weight/

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Removing A Teeth / Horror As Woman (30) Gives Birth To A Tortoise After Being Pregnant For 10 Month / Health Benefits Of Bitter Kola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.