Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America (49037 Views)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by debris: 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
jeron1:

then how will she get there without a job offer?

im confuse

oga most medical course
Mbbs,Pharmacy,Nursing etc all of them that has to do with license before practising in USA and evry other developed country u MUST write the exam which most times it can take 2yrs they prefer ppl that studied in their country with that license.

Neither ur g.f move to USA for another studies or through another means of visa processing then get to write the exams.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
jeron1:

then how will she get there without a job offer?

im confuse
Yeah there are some cases whereby a company files for you and when you get there, you take the exam but I dont know much about that though. Some people I know came on a non-immigrant visa (Tourist/Business B1/B2 visa) to take the NCLEX-RN exam
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by debris: 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Yeah there are some cases whereby a company files for you and when you get there, you take the exam but I dont know much about that though. Some people I know came on a non-immigrant visa (Tourist/Business B1/B2 visa) to take the NCLEX-RN exam

Please what about pharmacology & Therapeutics
How is the job oppourtunites and pay there?

2. I wish to run a 1yr post graduate diploma in any health course there that pays well which of the courses should i go for with bachelors in pharmacology.

cos i intend starting bachelors again for PharmD course.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by jeron1(m): 5:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

ok... thanks
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 6:07pm On Jun 11, 2016
debris:

Please what about pharmacology & Therapeutics
How is the job oppourtunites and pay there?

2. I wish to run a 1yr post graduate diploma in any health course there that pays well which of the courses should i go for with bachelors in pharmacology.

cos i intend starting bachelors again for PharmD course.
You mean you have a bsc in pharmacology already but you want go for another one in pharmD?
Why do you want go for a bsc again in pharmD when you hve a good course already. pharmacology is also a health course, forget that they earn less than people with pharmD, a pharmacology degree offers prospects for research careers in academia, industry, the scientific
civil service and hospitals.
As for health course that pays well. Almost all the health courses pays well, I cnt tell you the one to go for, Do the research for yourself
Pharmacologst are medical scientists who research develop and test medications. And we all know pharmacists fill prescriptions, monitor medical therapies andadvise patients on how to take
medications, just a lil diff, you dont need to start all over again going for pharmD

2 Likes

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
princey83:
This is very similar to what is obtainable in Canada. Except the IT part, Indians have flooded that part of the job market, and Canada has a small job market due to it's low population and highly educated citizens.
100% of Nigerian educated doctors I have met working in Canada are usually into family, psychiatry and a few in ER.
I haven't met a Nigerian trained dentist though.

Good day Sir!!

I'd like to make some few enquiries about Pharmacy practise in Canada. I'm actually a Pharmacy student in Nigeria and wanna make long-term plans for posts graduation because Nigeria is dying day by day.

What is pay as a pharmacist in Canada like? Especially as an immigrant.
How is the process of getting practise permit? Difficult?

And how is Canada as a country.

I anticipate your unbiased answer|reply. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by debris: 7:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

You mean you have a bsc in pharmacology already but you want go for another one in pharmD?
Why do you want go for a bsc again in pharmD when you hve a good course already. pharmacology is also a health course, forget that they earn less than people with pharmD, a pharmacology degree offers prospects for research careers in academia, industry, the scientific
As for health course that pays well. Almost all the health courses pays well, I cnt tell you the one to go for, Do the research for yourself
Pharmacologst are medical scientists who research develop and test medications. And we all know pharmacists fill prescriptions, monitor medical therapies andadvise patients on how to take
medications, just a lil diff, you dont need to start all over again going for pharmD

Yes I already have a degree in pharmacology am a corper serving currently am working with a hospital but am being advised to go for pharmacy so I can practice and which I really want to pratice with the licence most job oppourtunites here lie on pharmacy with licence I don't really want to go for Academia.

or is there any paying course i can switch in with pharmacology I want to practice in health fields not labouratory or Academia.

pls advice me
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Hello!!

I'm a Pharmacy student and my CGPA is about 2.1. I have interests to study either in USA or Canada but have come across some issues and they have eventually confused me.

Back here in Nigeria graduates are issued with the BPHARM degree. That is Bachelor of Pharmacy against the Pharm.D(Doctor of Pharmacy) issued in the US.

I read that foreign pharmacists with my BPharm degree can't practise in the USA but if I decide to obtain an MSc say in Pharmacognosy, it still doesn't equate to Pharm.D

I think that is why I lean closer to Canada because they still accept either BPharm or Pharm D.

Pray, can I still practise in the US?

#Confused Pharmacy student.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 9:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
Vessi:

Hello!!

I'm a Pharmacy student and my CGPA is about 2.1. I have interests to study either in USA or Canada but have come across some issues and they have eventually confused me.

Back here in Nigeria graduates are issued with the BPHARM degree. That is Bachelor of Pharmacy against the Pharm.D(Doctor of Pharmacy) issued in the US.

I read that foreign pharmacists with my BPharm degree can't practise in the USA but if I decide to obtain an MSc say in Pharmacognosy, it still doesn't equate to Pharm.D

I think that is why I lean closer to Canada because they still accept either BPharm or Pharm D.

Pray, can I still practise in the US?

#Confused Pharmacy student.
Its not easy to become a pharmacist in usa or canada with a Bpharm degree from nigeria.. Are you sure canada accept the BPharm degree?? I doubt it.
PharmD degree are owned by genius. You'll have to get the Bpharm then, msc in pharmacy, phd in pharmacy before you get the BPharm.. Just a BPharm degree wont ginger them enough to accept student, atleast a msc might. I know what some international student face, some get through, some dont.
If you had started the bsc programme in usa or canada, it wld hve been easier to proceed, but with a BPharm here, I dont think even the canada you mentioned will or do you know anyone who did it smoothly?
I also heard international students must spend 5yrs for their bsc programme before they'll accept them for msc, but you can check out this top pharmacy universities and talk to their international studnt advisor maybe they can assist you
University of Minnesota - Twin
University of North Carolina
University of Tennessee
University of Oklahoma
University of Utah
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Its not easy to become a pharmacist in usa or canada with a Bpharm degree from nigeria.. Are you sure canada accept the BPharm degree?? I doubt it.
PharmD degree are owned by genius. You'll have to get the Bpharm then, msc in pharmacy, phd in pharmacy before you get the BPharm.. Just a BPharm degree wont ginger them enough to accept student, atleast a msc might. I know what some international student face, some get through, some dont.
If you had started the bsc programme in usa or canada, it wld hve been easier to proceed, but with a BPharm here, I dont think even the canada you mentioned will or do you know anyone who did it smoothly?
I also heard international students must spend 5yrs for their bsc programme before they'll accept them for msc, but you can check out this top pharmacy universities and talk to their international studnt advisor maybe they can assist you
University of Minnesota - Twin
University of North Carolina
University of Tennessee
University of Oklahoma
University of Utah

Well, I guess I have to obtain my MSc too here in Nigeria before proceeding to work in the US. How about that?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
debris:

Yes I already have a degree in pharmacology am a corper serving currently am working with a hospital but am being advised to go for pharmacy so I can practice and which I really want to pratice with the licence most job oppourtunites here lie on pharmacy with licence I don't really want to go for Academia.

or is there any paying course i can switch in with pharmacology I want to practice in health fields not labouratory or Academia.

pls advice me

wait, I dont get you well, you have a pharmacology degree and you want to go for post graduate degree in the states, and you want to switch to a health field so you can start working over there right?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2016
Vessi:

Good day Sir!!

I'd like to make some few enquiries about Pharmacy practise in Canada. I'm actually a Pharmacy student in Nigeria and wanna make long-term plans for posts graduation because Nigeria is dying day by day.

What is pay as a pharmacist in Canada like? Especially as an immigrant.
How is the process of getting practise permit? Difficult?

And how is Canada as a country.

I anticipate your unbiased answer|reply. Thank you.
Pay for pharmacist vary across provinces, industries (hospital or community), employer and also based upon length of practice or job position in the country. I don't want to be throwing figures in the air. You can check glass door.
For an unbiased reply:
Yes the process is very difficult. Nothing good comes easy. let me give you an idea of how difficult it is. Highly experienced foreign trained pharmacist at oga level in Nigerian hospitals, people with PhDs, distinctions e.t.c from other developed countries do fail the exams, but some with ordinary bpharm degree with little experience still manage to pass the exams. No one really knows the marking scheme or pass rate but rumour says it's around 25%. The pass marks varies and it's not fixed, meaning if a high percentage of student score good marks, they would raise the cutt off mark. So to pass the exams, people aim for 100% in the exams. it requires lots of determination.
But that shouldn't be a problem for a young chap like you.

1 Like

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 9:38pm On Jun 11, 2016
Vessi:

Well, I guess I have to obtain my MSc too here in Nigeria before proceeding to work in the US. How about that?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Yes, but remember that the MSc wont make you become a pharmacist, but you can get into industry jobs with it
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Yes, but remember that the MSc wont make you become a pharmacist, but you can get into industry jobs with it

Jeeez. My certificate is totally useless in US cry

So uh, to practise pharmacy I need to..... (H
What direction do I take) sad
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 11, 2016
princey83:

Pay for pharmacist vary across provinces, industries (hospital or community), employer and also based upon length of practice or job position in the country. I don't want to be throwing figures in the air. You can check glass door.
For an unbiased reply:
Yes the process is very difficult. Nothing good comes easy. let me give you an idea of how difficult it is. Highly experienced foreign trained pharmacist at oga level in Nigerian hospitals, people with PhDs, distinctions e.t.c from other developed countries do fail the exams, but some with ordinary bpharm degree with little experience still manage to pass the exams. No one really knows the marking scheme or pass rate but rumour says it's around 25%. The pass marks varies and it's not fixed, meaning if a high percentage of student score good marks, they would raise the cutt off mark. So to pass the exams, people aim for 100% in the exams. it requires lots of determination.
But that shouldn't be a problem for a young chap like you.

Thank you very much for your effort in clearing the air in my head.

I have gotten mixed reports on the Pharmacy certificate that will land a Pharmacy license in Canada.

Now, I wish to read it directly from a Canada resident.

Sir, I would like to discover if a Nigerian BPharm degree holder can practise professional Pharmacy in Canada?

Or is the industry exclusively reserved for holders of the Pharm.D degree?

Thank you very much.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 9:52pm On Jun 11, 2016
Vessi:

Jeeez. My certificate is totally useless in US cry

So uh, to practise pharmacy I need to..... (H
What direction do I take) sad
Even a phD here wont make you a pharmacist there. A pharmD degree is worth it tho but it takes time, money and effort.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Even a phD here wont make you a pharmacist there. A pharmD degree is worth it tho but it takes time, money and effort.

Man!!! I give up on practising Pharmacy in the States. angry
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 10:02pm On Jun 11, 2016
Vessi:

Man!!! I give up on practising Pharmacy in the States. angry
Lol. You can give canada a try, wait and see what the man in canada has to say.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Lol. You can give canada a try, wait and see what the man in canada has to say.

Lol thank you very much. You have been very much helpful in a pleasant way.

Although I must be disappointed if a bad news comes from the Canada resident but it's not yet game over as I can still work in Nigeria, the only issue is Nigerian economy is getting messier day by day so the ambitious ones have to find a way out of the dark cave.

2 Likes

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by debris: 10:54pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

wait, I dont get you well, you have a pharmacology degree and you want to go for post graduate degree in the states, and you want to switch to a health field so you can start working over there right?

I have a Bachelor's degree in pharmacology but i want to go for just a 1yr course programme in any health post graduate diploma course.

I have the mind of starting up a career again in pharmD after the PgD.

But then please what health post graduate diploma course booming well there should i go for?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by mrchemist(m): 11:53pm On Jun 11, 2016
Good pm thanks for your information my sister is a graduate of Optometry in Nigeria. I want her to do. Her Master in Usa in Optometry. What is job opportunity for her
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lobito007(m): 12:00am On Jun 12, 2016
lobito007:
OP, what would you say about the prospects of Msc in Mech eng in Ohio, and the US generally. How true is the gist that mech engrs hardly get jobs in the US?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 12, 2016
Vessi:

Thank you very much for your effort in clearing the air in my head.
I have gotten mixed reports on the Pharmacy certificate that will land a Pharmacy license in Canada.
Now, I wish to read it directly from a Canada resident.
Sir, I would like to discover if a Nigerian BPharm degree holder can practise professional Pharmacy in Canada?
Or is the industry exclusively reserved for holders of the Pharm.D degree?

Thank you very much.
I am not a sir o.. I am a young man. All you need to begin your registration is your Bpharm degree+being a registered member in good standing of the relevant registration body in your home country.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by ERCROSS(m): 5:23am On Jun 12, 2016
Brigadier7:
I don't think there is an international equivalence for a psychology degree in Usa as @ now!or maybe in my State GA! Different States with different requirement as per professionals! All the clinical psychologist have seen were all US trained! I may be wrong though!

Broh,
I'm a physics undergraduate student in a Nigerian University, and I will like to do an M.sc medical physics in d U.S . Is there a way I can work or earn stipends while studying in the states and. secondly what are the chances of getting a good job related to that field on completion of d M.sc program in d states

I will so much appreciate a reply
thanks
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Ifesinachi22(m): 6:35am On Jun 12, 2016
Brigadier7:
For those of you whose dreams are to work in America, Here is a list of some Courses to study in Nigerian Universities that will make you a top shot in America!!

Dentistry: Dentistry remains one of the best professions in the world in terms of Pay and Job Satisfaction and work
Flexibility!Dentistry or Dental Medicine is Specialty of Medicine! When you study Dentistry in Nigeria and you wish to come over to the states to make a living, You gonna spend about 2years to get licensed after which you begin to Print money like a Printing Press! General Dentist under employments earn over $250K per Annum working 4- 5 Days a week. While specialist Dentist like Oral Surgeons, Orthodontist, Endodontist under employment earn between $350k- $500k per Annum! Those with their own Private Clinics can make as much as $700k-$1.2M Per Annum! I know of a Nigerian Oral Surgeon with two Clinics in North Carolinas, he Grosses $10k Dollars PER DAY(Without Tax and other Expenses).....Ermmh I happen to be a Dentist too

(2) Medicine: this profession still remains one of the best positions in the world! Also in terms of Pay and Job Satisfaction! Compared to Dentistry, practicing Medicine in America after Graduating from a Nigerian University is easier because you don't have to go back to school here! After Graduating, you only need to pass the USMLE after which you get into a residency Program! BUT The CATCH most people don't know here is, Because your Medical Degree isn't from America, there are some limited specialties and Slots available to you! E.g Finishing from Nigeria. Geting a Residency in Let's say General Surgery, Ophthalmology,Anesthesiology,Plastic Surgery and other Competitive Specialties IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE! You are ONLY going to be limited to Physician Specialties like Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine,Psychiatry!! The Pay of these specialties ranges from $180k-$300k Per Annum!

Pharmacy:Imperative to the healthcare industry, pharmacists not only fill
prescriptions, but also educate patients on the potential side effects of
their medications, teach them how to handle side effects, and monitor
which prescriptions each patient is taking to prevent mixing incompatible
drugs. Annual Pay Ranges Between $150k-200k

Nurses: This is well known by all and Sundry! I personal know of Some Nigerian Nurses that earn $5k Per month! Nurses like the Nurse Anesthesia can make upto to $100k!

Information Technology: Computer science, Software engineers, Computer Engineers infact the IT Professionals! IT Professionals work software and hardware upgrades, protect office
networks from hackers and malwares. They make over $100k year Depending on your Qualifications etc! Many of my IT friends earn between 80k-100k

Radiography, Physiotherapy, Occupational Health: if you hard working you net $80k

Op what of Dental Hygienist/Therapist?
Do they have an opportunity as well.
They work in Dental Offices. For me I can do any thing a dentist can do. Its just that Dentist study 6yrs we study 4yrs
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 12, 2016
Ifesinachi22:

They work in Dental Offices. For me I can do any thing a dentist can do. Its just that Dentist study 6yrs we study 4yrs

Have you thought of physiotherapy?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Brigadier7(m): 7:18am On Jun 12, 2016
Ifesinachi22:

To obtain your license you must be a graduate of an accredited
U.S. dental hygiene program, then take the National Board Dental Hygiene
Examination and pass a state or regional clinical licensure exam....Salary Range: $50-55k per Year..Am a Dentist and have got Hygienists in my Practice so I know I what am talking about
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Brigadier7(m): 7:25am On Jun 12, 2016
Ifesinachi22:

some make up to $70k per year depending on the State and the Dentist you are working For

1 Like

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Brigadier7(m): 7:36am On Jun 12, 2016
ERCROSS:

Broh,
I'm a physics undergraduate student in a Nigerian University, and I will like to do an M.sc medical physics in d U.S . Is there a way I can work or earn stipends while studying in the states and. secondly what are the chances of getting a good job related to that field on completion of d M.sc program in d states

I will so much appreciate a reply
thanks
Research, Teaching and Faculty Staff.. Medical physics is okay. I think you should make more research though
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by adegoks1234(m): 9:25am On Jun 12, 2016
What are the job prospects of a Nigerian doctor with a masters in public health degree in an American University? Thanks
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by SlowlybtSurely: 9:46am On Jun 12, 2016
mrchemist:
Good pm thanks for your information my sister is a graduate of Optometry in Nigeria. I want her to do. Her Master in Usa in Optometry. What is job opportunity for her

She will not be able to practice in the States even if she has a PhD in optometry. She will have to sit the very difficult licensure exams after going through a highly competitive and expensive bridging program in the University of New England.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Ugmama(m): 11:21am On Jun 12, 2016
Bro, thank you for your replies lately. I have some questions too, I studied Microbiology from Nigerian University and also MPH in Public health. My question are 1) what are the chances of getting to work in USA and benefits? 2) how easily can I apply for Visa so as to get to USA. thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is Oshodi The Most Popular Place In Lagos? / Bus Collides With A Lorry In Enugu, All Passengers Dead (Graphic Photos) / Nigerian Migrant Couple Kissing Aboard A Ship After Being Rescued from Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.