Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

How Not To End Up Unemployed - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Not To End Up Unemployed (840 Views)

Simple Jobs Unemployed Nigerians Can Do And Make Money On Fiverr / Dangote Refinery: Graduate Trainees Vow To End Fuel Scarcity / Workers:4 Simple Ways To End Each Workday Happy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Not To End Up Unemployed by Konzent(m): 8:02am On Apr 22, 2016
For the love of our youths lets consider why a lot of people remain unemployed and how to get a job fast.I get sick when i hear the cliche "there are no jobs in Nigeria".Nothing could be more fallacious than to say that there are no jobs in Nigeria, a country with over 20 full scale federal ministries, same repeated and sometimes exceeded across 36 states of the federation.This country has the presence of serious multinational firms like Mobil, elf, shell,chevron, Texaco, Mtn etc. Government agencies and parastatals like NAFDAC,NIMASA,NNPC abound. Meanwhile almost every state has a federal Institution and employ teaching and non teaching staff in addition to state and private Institutions, business, banks, hospitals, international NGO etc.
Do this places employ the services of robots,or ghost? why then is the false believe that there are no jobs.The answer lies in these three questions i often ask when i hear such lie.

QUESTION 1:what did you study
QUESTION 2:what grade did you make
QUESTION 3:where have you applied for job.

Yes i would agree unemployment is high but you can decide not to be in the statistic.
The answer to these three questions or a proactive consideration of same would guaranty your employment.

WHAT DID YOU STUDY ?:its so pathetic that Nigerian youths in a bid to rush into the University choose to study anything at all, irrespective of the prospects, devoid of any passion and sometimes without considering the demand in the labour market.Some courses don't have a place in the employment landscape of this country.I was in my first year in the University when my Lecturer Dr. Esikot said that philosophy does not put food on the table. Who employs a graduate of philosophy in Nigeria,and to do what?
No matter how high sounding a course may be, it may not be your best bait towards securing employment. So instead of fanciful degree in Anthropology, you may rather obtain training on Procurement and store keeping.I bet, you would be called up for employment with the later before the former.How about Radiography instead of Anatomy. Enough said on that, lets consider the next question.

WHAT GRADE DID YOU MAKE ? Its ironic that in Nigeria where there is a lot of competition in the labour market, people still play around in school and graduate with low grades and expect to be preferred over those with good grades.
You hear some say, its not about the grade but what you can offer, why didn't the person offer such in the examination paper way back in school.
Some even say examination is not a true test of knowledge, and i'll quickly ask, what then is?
Truth is your grade tells a lot about your ability to achieve set goals, your passion for excellence, your commitment level and your ability to learn etc.It speaks a lot about your inner drive.
A man with a first class degree might not have been the most intelligent but is certainly one who can set a goal and get committed enough to follow it through, and that is what employers want.
No matter how good you may think you are in practical, your poor grade would deny you the opportunity to be even heard.

So make the best grades in your undergraduate days if you don't want to join the statistics of unemployed graduates.Now to the last question.

WHERE HAVE YOU SEARCHED FOR JOBS ? It could be unbelievable that some graduates are wallowing in the illusion that "there are no jobs, "all jobs are on connection" , "they've already selected whom they want" etc and as such don't bother to search.In this days of internet, you would be surprise that some job seekers don't employ the technology.

The law of probability if applied would follow that the higher the number of jobs applied for ,the higher your chances of landing a job.Why not increase your chances daily.
A lot said, others can add theirs. But if you consider these three, you cant be in the statistics.Good luck.

1 Like

Re: How Not To End Up Unemployed by amerimex(m): 8:38am On Apr 22, 2016
U tried, but I wasn't expeting U to add more to the problems. U shd have listed the problems and profer your own solutions. So people who are in those shoes won't feel condemned, also fm my experince al this are just your views an holds no stance in the nigeria of today, in a multinational company I workd, the QC manager of a detergent(chemical ) plant is a food science degree holder,
My solution, no matter your course u can always apply for management trainee, also seek experience first in any organization irrespective of the pay, with experience u cannow apply to well paying firms. Those with poor grade should go for post graduate n Msc to bbe more relevant. Thanks
Re: How Not To End Up Unemployed by undisputedk: 9:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
amerimex:
U tried, but I wasn't expeting U to add more to the problems. U shd have listed the problems and profer your own solutions. So people who are in those shoes won't feel condemned, also fm my experince al this are just your views an holds no stance in the nigeria of today, in a multinational company I workd, the QC manager of a detergent(chemical ) plant is a food science degree holder,
My solution, no matter your course u can always apply for management trainee, also seek experience first in any organization irrespective of the pay, with experience u cannow apply to well paying firms. Those with poor grade should go for post graduate n Msc to bbe more relevant. Thanks

Even when they apparently lack the financial means? Moreso what's to guarantee that a graduate with a poor grade would fare better in pgd studies.

(1) (Reply)

Don't Pick A Job. Pick A Boss / Police Retires Mbu, 20 Other AIG's.. / Join The League Of Extra-ordinary Digital & Ict Gentlemen & Ladies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.