Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord (15130 Views)

My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village / Candle Fire Burns Two-storey Building In Lagos, A Tenant Dead / Can A Tenant Have Guests? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Cribpark: 11:15am On Apr 22, 2016
Much has been said by many people (especially in big Nigerian cities like Lagos) about ''one not yet having a permanent address if one does not have a house of their own". We all know the economic realities and challenges involved in actually becoming a house owner in Nigeria today, no matter what city you live in. Regardless of what work or means of livelihood one is into ; be it entrepreneurial or salary earning, legal or illegal, active or passive income business, truth is that coughing out at least a few millions of Naira (at a go or over a period of time) to have one's own roof over your family's head will no doubt leave a dent in one's capital base.

In a very recent piece here in the property section of Nairaland, someone asked "What Age Should Owning A House Be A Priority?". As typical of such opinion based Nairaland posts, various brilliant and not-so-brilliant responses were given to that. However, this writer personally feels that issues like this ''What age should one become a landlord?" or "What ideal age should one get married? and the many likes, are part of the reasons why we have so much young people under unnecessary pressure and as a result multitudes of desperate and greedy people who are gunning to succeed by all mean in order to prove a point to some people who do not even know they exist in the first place. (Please note that this stated opinion is just a personal one).

The question of this property-ownership-related question I would rather that we ask is this :

- Which life experience/incident (serious or hilarious, simple or complex) made the landlords (or soon-to-be landlords) in-house decide that they have had enough of life as a tenant?

- How did you go about the plan that made you achieve this dream?

- What are the challenges you faced along the line?

- Is it so hard ,as we really make it sound in Nigeria, to own a house?

- What are some unpopular tips or resources available that people can adopt to make their own home ownership dreams possible and sooner?

- Is there really any big deal in the much acclaimed title 'Landlord'?

I hope that the responses we get to this will do better to inspire several Nairalanders (like this writer) who are still tenants to do more and better in order to achieve this dream. Over to you our dear Excellency 'Landlords' and 'Landladies'. grin . Your responses to this will be much valued.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Buildertobadt: 12:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
FTC.....Very interesting question and point of view.....Can't wait to hear real life experiences....*books space and picks a seat*
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Jidbel(m): 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
Nice perspective OP. To your question, all I can say from personal experience and that of people I know is that like every other goal on life, owning your own house requires a good plan and discipline in regular saving of funds. I will want to think that the no.1 reason that inspires most people to go and live in their own house in Nigeria is the rampant increment in rent cost. Some landlords have no chill at all about if you got a raise at work within the past 2 years or not or if you have children's school fess to pay, so it is up to one to develop a workable and achievable plan. May God bless our efforts and grant our hearts' desires.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Buildertobadt: 8:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
very true words @Jidbel. Varying reasons will influence this decision for different people but discipline and determination is key.

Jidbel:
Nice perspective OP. To your question, all I can say from personal experience and that of people I know is that like every other goal on life, owning your own house requires a good plan and discipline in regular saving of funds. I will want to think that the no.1 reason that inspires most people to go and live in their own house in Nigeria is the rampant increment in rent cost. Some landlords have no chill at all about if you got a raise at work within the past 2 years or not or if you have children's school fess to pay, so it is up to one to develop a workable and achievable plan. May God bless our efforts and grant our hearts' desires.
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by ceelog(m): 9:02pm On Apr 22, 2016
I have just started my project and took that decision when I discovered I was working for my landlord. His rent (though in a cool environ) was gulping nearly 3 months my salary. Stayed 4 years and just couldn't take it anymore. Moved my family to a bigger house (3bedroom) in a cheaper side of town...rent is just 1 month of my salary. I have started investing the savings plus extra to start my bungalow penthouse. I will finish I b4 3 years...God's grace

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by tollytexy(m): 6:27am On Apr 23, 2016
Some Landlord act like God.. what am i even saying sef.. that was an epic throwback thou..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Deivid10(m): 6:28am On Apr 23, 2016
the guy above me sha....
how much dem dey shear abeg?

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by tollytexy(m): 6:30am On Apr 23, 2016
eshietIntrepid:
This information is for Nigeria people alone

CORRUPTION & WASTAGE: Buhari And Jonathan, At A Glance. FACT IS FACT.

1] Jonathan sold Petrol at N87 while Buhari is selling at average of N300 & above, yet Buhari supporters think Jonathan was more corrupt and wasteful.

2] When Jonathan Budgeted N1bn for feeding in Aso-Rock in 2011, and N517m in 2015, APC cried wolf and now Buhari's budget for same is N1.7billion. Yet Buharists are mute and still think GEJ was more corrupt and wasteful.

3] Jonathan spent N1.4bn to service all presidential jets in one year while Buhari spends N6bn on same in 6month yet Buharists
think GEJ was more corrupt and wasteful.

4] Jonathan gave more funding to education while Buhari's 2016
budget favours Ministry of information more than education
yet Buharists think GEJ was more corrupt/wasteful.

5] Jonathan spent an average of N8million on each international
trip while Buhari spends an average of N55million on each
international trip, yet Buharists think GEJ was more corrupt and
wasteful.

6] Jonathan created Over 5.8millon jobs in 5yrs while buhari has
sacked over 2million workers in 8months. Check Federal
Bureau of Statistics.

7] Jonathan made Nigeria's economy the best in Africa and No 1 investment destination & quadrupled our GDP in 4yrs while Buhari has dragged Nigeria's economy down to 14th position in ranking in just 7months.

8] Jonathan left Naira exchange rate @ N185 to $1 but Buhari with his Adama and Eve economics has destroyed the Naira in just 8 months which now sells at N315 to $1.

9] It took Jonathan less than 2weeks to select his cabinet including foreign based technocrats while it took Buhari 6months to do same. Even with indicted people and no single economist among the 36 names.

10] Buhari claimed that subsidy was fraud (Who is subsidizing who@) but buhari has spent N1.2trillion on fuel subsidy in the last 5 months and still no fuel while all Buharists have suddenly gone dumb.

11] Buhari/APC accused Jonathan of corruption but have not been able to pin one stain on him, while Muhammadu Buhari himself followed the crowd that entered into the #DasukiGate.

12] Under Jonathan freedom and liberty of Nigerians was not determined by party affiliation, but today under Buhari his perceived enemies and political opponents are leveled with frivolous allegations of crimes and intimidated with either the EFCC or the DSS.

13] Buhari does not have an Honorary WAEC but bags an
illegal Honorary (Ph.D) from a university that have no PhD student and Not approved by NUC and yet Buharists respect his NEPA Bill more than GEJ's PhD.

14. Buhari used his secondary school principal's recommendation letter to become Military Head of State and again used Court Affidavit to become President and no one reminded him that these are the height of corruption.
He Refused to declare his assets public, suppressing the FOI and denied all his 81 election promises and stayed in the last 8 months blaming former leaders. Jonathan was in that position, he never complained or blamed anyone, but faced his work even when Buhari's disgruntled brother ensured that Nigeria will know no peace. - Hope For Nigeria.

PDP member alert at its peak.. remember buhari is not a magician.. hes defeating your ab0kis brothers technically thou

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by azeecoboy(m): 6:40am On Apr 23, 2016
g
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by bastien: 6:40am On Apr 23, 2016
Una don start this landlord thread again, so some young peeps go feel bad say if them don reach 30yrs and they never build house or buy house they still be jonzin fellow

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by MoreWahala: 6:42am On Apr 23, 2016
eshietIntrepid:

1] Jonathan sold Petrol at N87 while Buhari is selling at average of N300 & above, yet Buhari supporters think Jonathan was more corrupt and wasteful.

2] When Jonathan Budgeted N1bn for feeding in Aso-Rock in 2011, and N517m in 2015, APC cried wolf and now Buhari's budget for same is N1.7billion. Yet Buharists are mute and still think GEJ was more corrupt and wasteful.

3] Jonathan spent N1.4bn to service all presidential jets in one year while Buhari spends N6bn on same in 6month yet Buharists

wasteful.

Bureau of Statistics.

7] Jonathan made Nigeria's economy the best in Africa and No 1 investment destination & quadrupled our GDP in 4yrs while Buhari has dragged Nigeria's economy down to 14th position in ranking in just 7months.

8] Jonathan left Naira exchange rate @ N185 to $1 but Buhari with his Adama and Eve economics has destroyed the Naira in just 8 months which now sells at N315 to $1.

9] It took Jonathan less than 2weeks to select his cabinet including foreign based technocrats while it took Buhari 6months to do same. Even with indicted people and no single economist among the 36 names.

10] Buhari claimed that subsidy was fraud (Who is subsidizing who@) but buhari has spent N1.2trillion on fuel subsidy in the last 5 months and still no fuel while all Buharists have suddenly gone dumb.

11] Buhari/APC accused Jonathan of corruption but have not been able to pin one stain on him, while Muhammadu Buhari himself followed the crowd that entered into the #DasukiGate.

12] Under Jonathan freedom and liberty of Nigerians was not determined by party affiliation, but today under Buhari his perceived enemies and political opponents are leveled with frivolous allegations of crimes and intimidated with either the EFCC or the DSS.

illegal Honorary (Ph.D) from a university that have no PhD student and Not approved by NUC and yet Buharists respect his NEPA Bill more than GEJ's PhD.

14. Buhari used his secondary school principal's recommendation letter to become Military Head of State and again used Court Affidavit to become President and no one reminded him that these are the height of corruption.
He Refused to declare his assets public, suppressing the FOI and denied all his 81 election promises and stayed in the last 8 months blaming former leaders. Jonathan was in that position, he never complained or blamed anyone, but faced his work even when Buhari's disgruntled brother ensured that Nigeria will know no peace. - Hope For Nigeria.
Common man, don't be a d*ck! As much as I hate chanji , Apc and their Bubu. You should know there is a place and time for everything. Stop derailing this great thread

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Idydarling(f): 6:43am On Apr 23, 2016
lemme come down, I'll comment in a sec
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by johnsonjosbles(m): 6:45am On Apr 23, 2016
bad experience tho! my landlord was a clown then, he visit my apartment every money just to remind me my rent expire next month and he needed money. i got angry in 2014 and vow never to pay rent again. God answerd my prayer with my landlord help pushing my dream

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by azeecoboy(m): 6:46am On Apr 23, 2016
eshietIntrepid:

wasteful.

Bureau of Statistics.

why do u take so much joy in derailing an ineresting thread

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by adesegun121(m): 6:49am On Apr 23, 2016
grin grin

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by realomonile: 6:51am On Apr 23, 2016
wink wink

Omo Eko ni mi oo grin grin

1ST & 2ND PICTURES

A plot of land located at Akesan Lagos state Along Lasu iyana iba going for 1.5m negotiable

Direct seller...

Serious buyer should call/whatsapp 08085310359, 09054800167

3RD & 4TH (PICTURES)

Hello Nairalanders, i have this land facing Lasu iba express way all round fenced for sale at rate of 70million Naira Negotiable,

Available document: Family Receipt, survey plan,

Side attract: facing expressway, close to Lagos state university, close to Iba New site estate and alot more

NOTE: This is dry Land...

Good for filling Station, churches, shopping mall,event center,schools and lot more..

Serious Buyer should contact Whatsapp/call 08085310359 For inspection or call 08033588797

3 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 23, 2016
Some impressionable minds are busy quoting a long yet distracting comment sad
What could be sillier undecided

Op, everyone can't be a landlord just as everyone can't be an employer of labor sad
BTW, are you giving out Mortgage Loans?
The Mod that pushed this to FP is sleepwalking undecided

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by alabi484(m): 6:53am On Apr 23, 2016
FTC and FP landlords too are not left out o

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by azeecoboy(m): 6:58am On Apr 23, 2016
The way some landlords treat their tenant can make the tenant commit suicide
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 23, 2016
Not my primary motivation, but the tendency of one of my co-tenants to lord over the compound as if he's the landlord and form fake big man, was a secondary motivation.

A compound of 4 3-bedroom flats, the landlord staying abroad. This guy just lords over everyone and thinks of himself as the landlord. He's particular in fake rivalry with me (my family). Someone that is as much as 10 years older than me for that matter.

Well, he just saw me (my family) moving out of that house one day to our own house which is just a stone throw from that rented house. He can continue to lord over another man's house, at least he now knows who is bigger.

That was even my second house. Finished the first 3 years earlier in my hometwon.

21 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by TEYA: 7:04am On Apr 23, 2016
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by homeboy205: 7:06am On Apr 23, 2016
Happy for this thread

So yesterday my landlady came with a woman agent claiming the woman is in charge of her house now, called me and my neighbor because we are just 2 in the compound, then the female agent said something funny and hilarious saying assuming she was the one who mad agreement for us in the first year that we will have to pay our rent 3 month before it expires I just look her couldn't say anything but shook head inside me and say no be her fault... Where dem dey do that kind thing??

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Blackskin: 7:09am On Apr 23, 2016
[quote author=Cribpark post=44935850]Much has been said by many people (especially in big Nigerian cities like Lagos) about ''one not yet having a permanent address if one does not have a house of their own". We all know the economic realities and challenges involved in actually becoming a house owner in Nigeria today, no matter what city you live in. Regardless of what work or means of livelihood one is into ; be it entrepreneurial or salary earning, legal or illegal, active or passive income business, truth is that coughing out at least a few millions of Naira (at a go or over a period of time) to have one's own roof over your family's head will no doubt leave a dent in one's capital base.

In a very recent piece here in the property section of Nairaland, someone asked "What Age Should Owning A House Be A Priority?". As typical of such opinion based Nairaland posts, various brilliant and not-so-brilliant responses were given to that. However, this writer personally feels that issues like this ''What age should one become a landlord?" or "What ideal age should one get married? and the many likes, are part of the reasons why we have so much young people under unnecessary pressure and as a result multitudes of desperate and greedy people who are gunning to succeed by all mean in order to prove a point to some people who do not even know they exist in the first place. (Please note that this stated opinion is just a personal one).

The question of this property-ownership-related question I would rather that we ask is this :

- Which life experience/incident (serious or hilarious, simple or complex) made the landlords (or soon-to-be landlords) in-house decide that they have had enough of life as a tenant?

- How did you go about the plan that made you achieve this dream?

- What are the challenges you faced along the line?

- Is it so hard ,as we really make it sou[color=#000099][/color][i][/i][b][/b]nd in Nigeria, to own a house?

- What are some unpopular tips or resources available that people can adopt to make their own home ownership dreams possible and sooner?

- Is there really any big deal in the much acclaimed title 'Landlord'?

I hope that the responses we get to this will do better to inspire several Nairalanders (like this writer) who are still tenants to do more and better in order to achieve this dream. Over toonses to this will be much valued......
I decided to have own building, cus I think its a necessity wen u are financially okay to do that, do Neva get any problem wit my landlord before I own my building I even pay my rent upfront, but no be my Power ooo. Concerning d age to own a building, I started my building wen I was 28 and finish d building at d age of 30... Now I have tenants....BABA GOD I THANK YOU OOOOooo

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Chidonc(m): 7:16am On Apr 23, 2016
ceelog:
I have just started my project and took that decision when I discovered I was working for my landlord. His rent (though in a cool environ) was gulping nearly 3 months my salary. Stayed 4 years and just couldn't take it anymore. Moved my family to a bigger house (3bedroom) in a cheaper side of town...rent is just 1 month of my salary. I have started investing the savings plus extra to start my bungalow penthouse. I will finish I b4 3 years...God's grace

God bless u for that wisdom. Better to stay in a cheap area then use whatever remains to plan for ur own building.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Drdreluv: 7:26am On Apr 23, 2016
booked
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Ayoswit(f): 7:28am On Apr 23, 2016
K
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by emmabest2000(m): 7:46am On Apr 23, 2016
Onye bi na ulo mmadu adighi ako flower ... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by dridowu: 7:49am On Apr 23, 2016
Still staying as a tenant, i hope, i believe and i pray for God Blessing in my life so that i too will become a landlord.
God Bless Our Hustle

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by moscobabs(m): 7:50am On Apr 23, 2016
Being a working class guy in face me and face u in agege in 2008 I used to wake up 4:30 am daily to take my bath to avoid insult from other neighbours cos we have only one bathroom and pit toilet and we were almost 60 in that 6rooms and 2 bq . one day I woke up 4am and baba Saheed was in the bathroom making incantations while bathing with local sponge and black soap this fear me and I refused to bath in that bathroom and till I packed out of the house I only bath at the back of my window.I got another apartment at ileepo, that one na scorpions house. scorpions always walk around freely (how many u want kill) u know the funniest? they don't sting they are too friendly so I decided not to kill them again. Then I was transfered to Benin city where I rented 3 bedroom flat for just #150k .

I was transfered back in 2012 and I rented this 2 bedroom apartment for #150/annual at abule egba I paid almost #300k plus agreement & commission (rubbish).landlord don't stay in that house but there is no enough space in the compound to pack our cars and there were almost 10 cars in that house. I wake up 4am everyday and I sleep 12 or 1 am everyday cos my car must be the last to enter the gate so I can easily drive it out the following day without disturbing any other car owner in the house.
I couldn't bear it again then I decided to look for a half plot of land in sango which I bought #300k today I own a complete 2 bedroom flat. we even enjoy light in my area than people living in GRA.

Glory be to God

paying house rent of #100k plus in Lagos is like working for a landlord to eat esp. in Lagos .

22 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Sparkle777(f): 8:00am On Apr 23, 2016
Nice topic.
After years of staying in another man's house, even though in a sweet environment. One morning, his daughter gave me the insult of my life, due to no fault of mine. That one na beta tori for another day. My kid brother showed me a house dat I can buy cheaply,renovate and move in. The area no too give joy but its somehow trekable to my former abode.
I got loan,borrowed and paid. Voila, I don get my house Godwin cheesy . Renovation wil almost be cost of the house but I did the insides and moved in to the consternation of my landlords daughter. She huffed, puffed and embarrased herself. But I don go be I don go. E don do me.
I moved in and have almost repaid my loans. Even though i still have a lot to do in my house, am stayin there devoid of stress and issues.
By God s grace, money will come to finally complete my house but I have a better life.
My advise are, pls move to a cheaper place and save up on the extra money. Also, some ppl after foundation and more may want to sell off, do check if u can buy but becareful and take due course. U might nid to sell off or quit buying baseless and needless stuff to make up on cash. Also, remember to always pray and thank God.
Goodluck.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

,, / Affordable Modern House Plans/designs By Kenoman / YOU WANT BUILDING APPROVAL, Approval documentation in NIGERIA?call 08069253261

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.