Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Where Am I? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Where Am I? (1084 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Am I? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 22, 2016
I hate preamble. Shall we begin

The sky is blue. You gaze intently at it for a few minutes, like it is supposed to tell you the right choice to pick.

You see, bluntly speaking, you are dying. You have just being diagnosed with a brain tumor (non-operable) and have been given just 4 weeks to live, which most of that limited time will be spent on taking medicine that increase the misery without neccesarily lengthing the days.......... Or do you??

Three days after the doctors tell you about your brain tumor, they call you again. This time, they say there might just be a cure.

"The plan is to remove your brain" the doctor says calmly, like it is a routine procedure.
The plan was to attach wireless fibre-optic cables which transmit information at the speed of light to every junction where your nerves link to your brain. The risks, they said, was minimal. You could even watch if you wanted. After they removed the brain, they could then remove the tumor (don't ask me how), reset the brain and voilĂ , your brain is back.

Now, you have to decide. You agree for the operation. You survive. The operation is a sucess; or so they say as you were anasthesized throughout. You check your skull, and sure enough, you see the ports through which the cables are connected. Otherwise...... You look normal, even a little bit finer as you have not had good sleep ever since you heard the news.

"I want to see my brain" you demand.
The nurse smiles and asks you to turn. Sure enough, at the top of your bed, you see it, a gray cauliflowered (ok, I got this description from a textbook, sue me gringringrin) thing swimming in fluid. And then you think to yourself,
"That is my brain, floating in a ........"
But wait, shouldn't you be thinking
"Here I am, floating in a container"and not vice versa?

You try to think "Here I am, suspended in a fluid, being stared at by my own eyes" and it just isn't working. No matter how much you try, you just can't THINK it, which doesn't make sense because after all, doesn't the brain control the body??

But then, does your brain control you? But who are you

Confused, you do a trick you've learnt since you were young: you begin naming things.
You name
your body : John
your brain : Felix and
you are Ayo. So then, where are you? You begin making the list of possibilites:

Wherever John is, so is Ayo
This principle does not make any sense. If you exist in your body, then why the hell is your thought processes, your muscle coordinations, everything about you stored in your brain? And that leads to a less pleasant possibility.

Wherever Felix is, so is Ayo[/b
That does not sound good to you at all. It means that right now, you, the real YOU (if that makes sensegrin) is stuck inside a container, floating like agege bread inside a river. But then of course, if it were so, why did you think that here I am, staring at my brain and not vice versa. You try again but you get nothing except perhaps the faint beginnings of an headache, which is funny because you stll feel the pain even though you are not there.
Wait, you? You who? Ayo, of course. You where? My....... You stop again, obviously back to square one.
So of course, you employ a trick, a neat little trick. You say then to yourself

[b]Emmanuel is wherever he thinks he is

This possibility sounds quite plausible to you because, to be honest, you don't want to think yourself in a trapped place ( you are actually a little claustrophobic) and so you are unable to think yourself in a dark room. You smile, contented with yourself and dream up a little legalistic argument.

Suppose right now, you were to ask for a cable extension and drive to lagos where you rob a bank and were apprehended, in which state will you be tried : current state or lagos. It occurs to you that one can use the legal chatter to weevil out.
But wait then, who thought up the motive? Your brain of course. Then where do you come in? Well, you........
You stop for a moment, thinking about that. It obviously makes no sense here to say you are where you think you are, since in this case your brain thought it out and your body executed. So then....... Where are you and who indeed are you

You back up and close your eyes. You have a full blown headache now.

I shall try to continue this tommorow.

Cc
Teempakguy
sukkot
RobinHez
Donald3d
LoJ
samted
Rhizod
johnnydon22
platteon
Coolusername
FreemanDave ( I know thee grin)

ehhhh and all.
Re: Where Am I? by johnydon22(m): 6:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
hahahahaha funny well before we get talking lets wait to hear more
Re: Where Am I? by CoolUsername: 8:09pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mind officially blown.
Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 23, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Where Am I? by GeniusDavid(m): 6:29am On Apr 24, 2016
Following!
Re: Where Am I? by tartar9(m): 9:59am On Apr 24, 2016
Everything you are is in your brain.It wouldn't make any difference it were to be placed on the moon and all signals between your brain and body transmitted wirelessly.If such an operation were somehow to be done without your knowledge,would you ever know your brain isn't currently in your skull? I don't think so.Your body is just the medium by which experiences are created.

1 Like

Re: Where Am I? by seunot: 10:42am On Apr 24, 2016
Interesting topic which is both simple and complex, just like life.

Now let's get in it, a scientist will tell you; you're the entire sum of your impulse, feelings, thoughts, received and sent sensory signals, knowlegde, imagination, believe etc. In other words, since the brain is d control unit of ur body(in computer term, the CPU) then you exist in that 'so called grey matter. Additional technologies may help you to rob a bank as you said, but the control is in that greyish 'gooish thing' wch is YOU!

For a thiest, your body and brain is a perfect clone and reflection of your soul in the physical(necessary to exist and live in this realm of existence), wch comprises your spirit and mind. The soul is conected to the body and if you were to be shot, that is the grey goo(kinda of like dat, lol) will terminate your physical existence and your soul will be free to move to the next realm.

As far as I am concerned, I kind of agree(believe) in both, maybe because both has limit(boundaries) and I hate limitations especially those imposed on humans by fellow humans.

In conclusion, i see you and me being above brain, body, soul and our wildest imaginations. I see LIMITLESSNESS, I see EVERYTHING....

Peace!
Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 24, 2016
Apologies guys. Nepa is behaving like a b!tch and my battery was flat angry. I am currently typing this on a friends phone and his battery is 4 percent.

So............
Re: Where Am I? by sukkot: 6:43pm On Apr 27, 2016
SirWere:

The sky is blue. You gaze intently at it for a few minutes, like it is supposed to tell you the right choice to pick.

You see, bluntly speaking, you are dying. You have just being diagnosed with a brain tumor (non-operable) and have been given just 4 weeks to live, which most of that limited time will be spent on taking medicine that increase the misery without neccesarily lengthing the days.......... Or do you??

Three days after the doctors tell you about your brain tumor, they call you again. This time, they say there might just be a cure.

"The plan is to remove your brain" the doctor says calmly, like it is a routine procedure.
The plan was to attach wireless fibre-optic cables which transmit information at the speed of light to every junction where your nerves link to your brain. The risks, they said, was minimal. You could even watch if you wanted. After they removed the brain, they could then remove the tumor (don't ask me how), reset the brain and voilĂ , your brain is back.

Now, you have to decide. You agree for the operation. You survive. The operation is a sucess; or so they say as you were anasthesized throughout. You check your skull, and sure enough, you see the ports through which the cables are connected. Otherwise...... You look normal, even a little bit finer as you have not had good sleep ever since you heard the news.

"I want to see my brain" you demand.
The nurse smiles and asks you to turn. Sure enough, at the top of your bed, you see it, a gray cauliflowered (ok, I got this description from a textbook, sue me gringringrin) thing swimming in fluid. And then you think to yourself,
"That is my brain, floating in a ........"
But wait, shouldn't you be thinking
"Here I am, floating in a container"and not vice versa?

You try to think "Here I am, suspended in a fluid, being stared at by my own eyes" and it just isn't working. No matter how much you try, you just can't THINK it, which doesn't make sense because after all, doesn't the brain control the body??

But then, does your brain control you? But who are you

Confused, you do a trick you've learnt since you were young: you begin naming things.
You name
your body : John
your brain : Felix and
you are Ayo. So then, where are you? You begin making the list of possibilites:

Wherever John is, so is Ayo
This principle does not make any sense. If you exist in your body, then why the hell is your thought processes, your muscle coordinations, everything about you stored in your brain? And that leads to a less pleasant possibility.

Wherever Felix is, so is Ayo[/b
That does not sound good to you at all. It means that right now, you, the real YOU (if that makes sensegrin) is stuck inside a container, floating like agege bread inside a river. But then of course, if it were so, why did you think that here I am, staring at my brain and not vice versa. You try again but you get nothing except perhaps the faint beginnings of an headache, which is funny because you stll feel the pain even though you are not there.
Wait, you? You who? Ayo, of course. You where? My....... You stop again, obviously back to square one.
So of course, you employ a trick, a neat little trick. You say then to yourself

[b]Emmanuel is wherever he thinks he is

This possibility sounds quite plausible to you because, to be honest, you don't want to think yourself in a trapped place ( you are actually a little claustrophobic) and so you are unable to think yourself in a dark room. You smile, contented with yourself and dream up a little legalistic argument.

Suppose right now, you were to ask for a cable extension and drive to lagos where you rob a bank and were apprehended, in which state will you be tried : current state or lagos. It occurs to you that one can use the legal chatter to weevil out.
But wait then, who thought up the motive? Your brain of course. Then where do you come in? Well, you........
You stop for a moment, thinking about that. It obviously makes no sense here to say you are where you think you are, since in this case your brain thought it out and your body executed. So then....... Where are you and who indeed are you

You back up and close your eyes. You have a full blown headache now.

I shall try to continue this tommorow.

Cc
Teempakguy
sukkot
RobinHez
Donald3d
LoJ
samted
Rhizod
johnnydon22
platteon
Coolusername
FreemanDave ( I know thee grin)

ehhhh and all.
my bros SirWere. i have just now been released from a 10 day ban lolz. i hope i did not arrive too late for your thread grin
Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 27, 2016
sukkot:
my bros SirWere. i have just now been released from a 10 day ban lolz. i hope i did not arrive too late for your thread grin
My bro Sukkot, we remain loyal. I missed you badly. What happened? What did they say you did?

I troway salute! Top of the evening brevv

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 27, 2016
SirWere:
Hello Sirwere. I missed this thread don't know how. Just forgot to come and read I think. Please continue.
Re: Where Am I? by sukkot: 7:19pm On Apr 27, 2016
LoJ:

My bro Sukkot, we remain loyal. I missed you badly. What happened? What did they say you did?

I troway salute! Top of the evening brevv
my Bros Loj, top of the evening to you. I remain ever loyal too Sir hehehe. bros i was banned for trying to incite a revolution against the kleptocratic cabal of nigeria. these mods aint loyal to the plight of the masses undecided grin

1 Like

Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 27, 2016
sukkot:
my Bros Loj, top of the evening to you. I remain ever loyal too Sir hehehe. bros i was banned for trying to incite a revolution against the kleptocratic cabal of nigeria. these mods aint loyal to the plight of the masses undecided grin
grin grin grin you are now out. Most important.

I thought you left to focus on your business.
Re: Where Am I? by sukkot: 7:28pm On Apr 27, 2016
LoJ:

grin grin grin you are now out. Most important.

I thought you left to focus on your business.
hehe yeah am free. freedom is sweet my brother. we take our freedoms for granted tongue grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Am I? by sukkot: 7:39pm On Apr 27, 2016
hmmmmm some very mind bending scenario you have painted SirWere but i hate to bring the spoiler alert into the scenario. without the brain you are actually still a complete and wholesome entity because contrary to what has being thought to be conventional wisdom, the brain does not actually do anything but manifest the electrical impulses sent to it from your heart. the heart is the real brain and your brain is just like a computer monitor that manifests the impulses sent to it from the heart. so the brain is the computer monitor and the heart is the computer motherboard. so back to your scenario ? you without your brain does not negate who you are so you will be culpable in all the crimes committed in lagos so long as your heart was in your body when you committed the crimes . grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
sukkot:
hehe yeah am free. freedom is sweet my brother. we take our freedoms for granted tongue grin
tongue
Re: Where Am I? by sukkot: 7:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

tongue
my bros, we remain ever loyal grin
Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 28, 2016
sukkot:
my bros, we remain ever loyal grin
grin
Indeed Brother. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Am I? by tartar9(m): 8:22am On Apr 28, 2016
sukkot:
hmmmmm some very mind bending scenario you have painted SirWere but i hate to bring the spoiler alert into the scenario. without the brain you are actually still a complete and wholesome entity because contrary to what has being thought to be conventional wisdom, the brain does not actually do anything but manifest the electrical impulses sent to it from your heart. the heart is the real brain and your brain is just like a computer monitor that manifests the impulses sent to it from the heart. so the brain is the computer monitor and the heart is the computer motherboard. so back to your scenario ? you without your brain does not negate who you are so you will be culpable in all the crimes committed in lagos so long as your heart was in your body when you committed the crimes . grin grin grin
is this your own science
Re: Where Am I? by sukkot: 10:16am On Apr 28, 2016
tartar9:

is this your own science
my science ? yup. esoteric science known by the elites and real scientists ? yup undecided
Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 3:13am On Apr 29, 2016
sukkot:
HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE
Re: Where Am I? by rhizoidz: 8:52am On Apr 30, 2016
sukkot:
Darn it! But wait, what you said may be plausible, I take it you know there have been surgeries where the full heart is replaced... Then what do you say in such a scenario? That the person has been changed? I think the real question is where is the mind?

1 Like

Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 01, 2016
Sorry for the time lapse. I'm a really lazy dude :-] smiley. Anyways; we proceed.

DAY 2 OF HAVING NO BRAIN:
It's the second day of being brainless literally. The plan was a 7 day plan by which your brain will be operated on and fixed. In the meantime, well.........
You wake, eat, brush, bathe (careful, you don't wanna get water on those cords) and dress up again. In short, you behave like you would normally behave, as if it were just a regular day off and you have no care in the world. Everything is perfect! Except...........

Sighing, you turn your thoughts back to yesterday's problems, the problem of locating yourself.
Thinking about it now, it doesn't really seem as strange or difficult as you are making it sound. For why is it not so possible for you to exist in both places at the same time? After all, you are made up of your body and brain and so......... wait, back up, what do you mean made up of? Are you implying that you can't be seperatable from both sides. Because, hey, the doctors just did that! Ok, you paraphrase: you own your body and your brain.
Even without much need for discussion, you can obviously see how flawed that sounds to you. You, who do not exist in either sides, owns both. What a Bleep.ed up statement!
You take a deep breath and calm down, you are a logical man after all, you can solve this.

You think back to the last alternative you derived yesterday:

"You are wherever you think you are."

Such a proposition is not without perplexities, but to you, it seems like a step in the right direction. The only trouble is that it seemed to place you in a 50-50 chance of your existence as regards location. Haven't you once been wrong, or at least uncertain about where you were? Can't one get lost? Of, I don't mean lost in the sense of geography or when one's grandparents tell a joke that made sense in their time. In each case, one could at least attempt to reassure oneself with the consolation that at least one knew where one was, right here in this familiar surrondings of one's own body. But unfortunately, you cannot hold on to such scant comfort anymore.

But Where am I? Am I tokened in that grey flotating thing on the top of my bed? I mean, most of my thoughts are there. But then again, how do I know my thoughts are there. My thoughts do not have a fixed space in time, as physics will suggest, neither have they been given biochemical composition. The best I can say for my thoughts is that it's as a result neurons firing in my cerebrum, releasing biochemicals and making another part of my brain associate this chemicals as thought. ( This definition is horribly flawed, I do hope any Biochemist in the house does not flog me too soundly gringrin).
So then, what can I associate with my thoughts. That they exist, but are not real as physics (classical) defines them, and they are just an assortment of organic compounds in the eyes of the biochemist. An alien who reads this will be forced to conclude that "thinking is a tedious and unproductive process, and is a major part of what contributed to the demise of people on this planet". Just kidding cheesy.
But then, I digress. All this thinking about thoughts has made me lose focus on this intial question :
Where am I.

Point of view clearly had something to do with personal location but that itself is an unclear notion. It was obvious the content of one's point of view is not determined by the content of one's belief or thoughts. For example, what do we say about the point of view of people who, when watching a football matches unconsciously jerk their legs forward, probably to play the shot their team missed (seriously, this ish happens sad). Have they forgotten they are seperated by millions of miles (and attitude) from the ball. Here, I am inclined to think such a person is experiencing an illusory point of view.
Another example is for those who, held in the grip of suspense whilst watching an action movie, will call out to the actor on TV( a movie shot months ago, seriously, some people) to "move away" or "run". In each case, it is obvious that they have shifted their Point Of View away from themselves and portrayed themselves as characters, much to the delight of film producers no doubt.
My point? It's that all this people were able to acheive shifts in points of Views, were able to project themselves into movies and such because at a certain level, it's real to them. I use real, in the sense that the scenarios portrayed are really happening to them.

How does this concern you, you ask? Well it does becasues this is what is real to you also. Where are you, you ask? Well, lemme tell you.
You are in both your brain and your body. You are in neither.
You, the you, are a point of view

or so I think

cc
LoJ
sukkot( i saw what you wrote and.....was disheartened)
rhizodizs

et al......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 05, 2016
Saw this today. Didn't show up in my mentions. Let me read it from the beginning.
Re: Where Am I? by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:
Sorry for the time lapse. I'm a really lazy dude :-] smiley. Anyways; we proceed.
DAY 2 OF HAVING NO BRAIN:
Hello Sirwere, thank you for the continuation.

I admit I find the story interesting. I eagerly wait to see where it's gonna land. The interrogation raised are legitimate.

(1) (Reply)

Post Free Classifieds Ads On Ooshe.in / Jobs / Finger Smart Atms Coming Your Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.