Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,826 members, 7,806,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar (32664 Views)

Solomon Adeola's Birthday Cake From Saraki, As Yayi Celebrates 47th Bithday / N300million Goes Missing From Saraki's Bedroom - Sahara Reporter / Justice Kafarati Withdraws From Saraki's Suit To Stop Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 5:35am On Apr 23, 2016
*Fault Supreme Court decision on CCT’s jurisdiction
*Belgore, Uwaifo, Oguntade, Nwabueze, Udechukwu, Ozekhome, others concur
By Clifford NdujiheSOME leading legal luminaries including former justices of the Supreme Court have advised Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, Mr. Danladi Umar, to withdraw from presiding the ongoing trial of Senate President Bukola Saraki over alleged false assets declaration to ensure fairness in the matter.

The legal giants, who picked holes in the Supreme Court judgement of February 5, 2016 giving the CCT jurisdiction in the Saraki trial, argued that the CCT is not a court of law under our Constitution and cannot be invested with criminal or quasi-criminal jurisdiction.

Eminent lawyers, who shared this view included Justice Salisu Alfa Modibo Belgore (former Chief Justice of Nigeria; Justice George Oguntade (CFR), former Justice of the Supreme Court; Justice Samson Odemwingie Uwaifo, former Justice of the Supreme Court; Prof. Ben Nwabueze, SAN; Chief Nnoruka Udechukwu SAN; Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN; and Mr Olalekan Ojo among others.

The advice was part of the communiqué of the Conference on ‘The Code of Conduct enshrined in the Constitution of Nigeria and its crucial Importance in the fight against Corruption’ held in Lagos on March 24 by the Ben Nwabueze Centre, which was released, yesterday.

There was a mild drama at the CCT trial on Thursday as Danladi Umar, refused to hear the motion filed by Saraki’s counsel on the CCT chairman’s alleged bias. Umar dismissed the application asking him to disqualify himself from the case, saying “that motion as far as the tribunal is concerned is of no consequence; not worthy to be entertained and is hereby thrown away.”

However, the lawyers asked Umar to withdraw on account of the graft allegations against him and the way he has handled the trial so far. They said the following in the communique:

” It is not reasonably to be supposed or be expected that Mr. Danladi Umar can be impartial or unbiased in adjudicating the case between the Federal Republic of Nigeria (FRN) against Saraki. There can be no greater mockery of the whole notion of impartiality in any adjudicatory system than that Umar, with the threat of prosecution and removal from office for alleged corruption by the FRN hanging over his head, should have been allowed to adjudicate as presiding judge in the circumstances of this case.

”Bias on the part of Umar seems to be clearly manifest in all the circumstances surrounding the case. The manner in which the trial was being conducted by Umar manifests also a certain

overzealousness that suggests at least a real likelihood of bias on the part of Umar against Saraki or a lack of impartiality,” they said.

Acknowledging ”unchallengeability of the judgement of the Supreme Court” in the Saraki case

delivered on February 5, 2016, they however said ”the Supreme Court decision on the issue of the jurisdiction of the CCT is inconsistent with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

”The Supreme Court was wrong in holding that the Constitution itself invests the Code of

Conduct Tribunal (CCT) with a quasi-criminal jurisdiction. The Code is, in its essential character, merely a body of rules designed to regulate the civil, not criminal, behaviour of public officers, much in the fashion of the Civil Service Rules.

” The CCT, not being so listed under Section 6(5) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) as a Court, has no power or jurisdiction, derived from the Constitution, to try, convict and impose punishment on persons for a criminal offence; the decision of the Supreme Court attributing such jurisdiction to it, as jurisdiction derived from the Constitution, is null and void under sections 1(3), 6 and 36 (13) of the Constitution; also any law made by the National Assembly that confers such jurisdiction on the CCT is null and void. The Supreme Court decision on the issue of the jurisdiction of the CCT has no basis in a law validly made by the National Assembly.”

They continued: ”The Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act is glaringly unconstitutional and void because it duplicates relevant provisions of the Constitution, and because some of its provisions purport to vary the provisions of the Constitution. The CCT is not a court of law under our Constitution and cannot be invested with criminal or quasi-criminal jurisdiction.

”The initiation of the criminal prosecution against Dr. Saraki before the CCT by a Deputy Director in the Federal Ministry of Justice at a time when there was no incumbent Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) is invalid and incompetent in law.”

Also, they urged that Saraki be given a fair hearing before a Court of Law where there would not be any likelihood of bias.

They also said that there is need to ensure that decisions of the Apex Court, as a court of last resort, are consistent with each other, and, above all, with the supreme law of the land, the Constitution, as well as with laws validly enacted by the legislature.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/false-asset-declaration-withdraw-sarakis-trial-eminent-lawyers-advise-umar/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 5:43am On Apr 23, 2016
This was my argument but some people who allowed themselves to be controlled by emotions pour insults on my person.
This is why I can't respect Falana, I could remember Falana asking Fashola to remove chairman of panel set up to investigate Soldiers-BRT fiasco because the retired judge is a star witness to LASG in another matter. See http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/brt-probe-falana-requests-fashola-remove-justice-adebajo-chairman/. But same Falana is quiet today because Saraki is corrupt. I want all corrupt politicians to be killed by Firing Squad but it has to follow due process.

I want Saraki to be killed, I don't have sympathy for him, but let us ensure fair hearing. What Umar is doing is against the principle of fair hearing. He has shown interest in the matter by descending into the matter. Let all ministers in the temple of justice demand for his resignation, this is a slap on the profession. It is a trite law that you take a motion once it is before you, no matter how childish the motion could be. see Julius Berger v. Isono a Supreme Court decision in the biter.

78 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by DickDastardly(m): 5:48am On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:
This was my argument but some people who allowed themselves to be control by emotions pour insults on my person.
This is why I can't respect Falana, I could remember Falana asking Fashola to remove chairman of panel set up to investigate Soldiers-BRT fiasco because the retired judge is a star witness to LASG in another matter.
I want Saraki to be killed, I don't have sympathy for him, but let us ensure fair hearing. What Umar is doing is against the principle of fair hearing. He has shown interest in the matter by descending into the matter. Let all ministers in the temple of justice demand for his resignation, this is a slap on the profession. It is a trite law that you take a motion once it is before you, no matter how childish the motion could be. see Julius Berger Isono a Supreme Court decision in the biter.
Fair is fair and you are right, but will they spare you or even listen? We can only watch what the country has become undecided
*ringside things*

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by blackpanda: 5:49am On Apr 23, 2016
And how much did saraki pay to these "eminent lawyers" for their "support"

Anuofias!

Saraki is jail bound whether he like it or yes grin

99 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by amaechi1: 5:50am On Apr 23, 2016
The money allege to be squandered is not an issue to them. Taken paracetamol for another man's headache. Nonsense

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by DickDastardly(m): 5:52am On Apr 23, 2016
blackpanda:

Anuofias!

No one argues that. But let the process of getting him there not appear as dirty as his offence. Any other person can take up this matter but this umar who has not shown enough uprightness in this lingering matter.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Osyabj: 5:53am On Apr 23, 2016
Too little too late. The die is cast. Saraki will be convicted and the planet will not blink for a second.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 5:53am On Apr 23, 2016
blackpanda:

Anuofias!

pls sir, I think I hate the man Saraki more than you. You won't know what I am saying, but this is the reason I decided to be a lawyer. There is what is called presumption of innocence that is why, those BH people are referred to as suspects. It pains my heart that fair trial seems alien to u guys. I hate violation of fair hearing. It could happen to you one day when you have issue with rich man.

87 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by ziccoit: 5:54am On Apr 23, 2016
Eminent looters defending one of their own.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Nobody: 5:54am On Apr 23, 2016
Saraki Financially induced Eminent pro corruption lawyers!!!! That is what they are! because of money,they sold thier nobility as lawyers!!! Shameless SAN ( Shameless Advocate of Nuisance)

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 5:55am On Apr 23, 2016
twisting the course of justice by denial of fair hearing is the highest corruption.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by 989900: 5:58am On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:
This was my argument but some people who allowed themselves to be control by emotions pour insults on my person.
This is why I can't respect Falana, I could remember Falana asking Fashola to remove chairman of panel set up to investigate Soldiers-BRT fiasco because the retired judge is a star witness to LASG in another matter. See http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/brt-probe-falana-requests-fashola-remove-justice-adebajo-chairman/. But same Falana is quiet today because Saraki is corrupt. I want all corrupt politicians to be killed by Firing Squad but it has to follow due process.

I want Saraki to be killed, I don't have sympathy for him, but let us ensure fair hearing. What Umar is doing is against the principle of fair hearing. He has shown interest in the matter by descending into the matter. Let all ministers in the temple of justice demand for his resignation, this is a slap on the profession. It is a trite law that you take a motion once it is before you, no matter how childish the motion could be. see Julius Berger Isono a Supreme Court decision in the biter.

While I partially agree with you and by extension the old justices, OTOH, in the grand scheme of things, then Saraki's tactics worked perfectly well: try bribing the Judge, if he does not bulge, intimidate him, if he still does not cower, destabilize him and get him to react so you can have him off your case for one of yours to come and preside over the case.

What have the wise men in the article got to say about all of Saraki's shenanigans since the onset of this trial?

Or so far, what have they have said about 'paid justice' in our country as a whole?

The likes of antics like this, and the 'get-away-with-anything' modus operandi is the reason why we have all these calamities befallen upon us, and by whatever it takes, a new path has to be created.

Jail Saraki as a deterrent to others -- bottom line, he made false declaration by his own hand.

He is in court, let him clear his name if he is not guilty as charged . . . he has the option to pursue this further to the supreme court -- let him have at it.

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by realestworld(m): 5:58am On Apr 23, 2016
I pity those people who is thinking saraki will resign. These politicians are evil. All of them know wetin them they do

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Flexherbal(m): 5:59am On Apr 23, 2016
Envelopes are changing hands.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by modath(f): 5:59am On Apr 23, 2016
DickDastardly:

No one argues that. But let the process of getting him there not appear as dirty as his offence. Any other person can take up this matter but this umar who has not shown enough uprightness in this lingering matter.

In every place that sanity reigns, the "eminent"?? lawyers would have prevailed on saraki to resign!!!

I'm not holding brief for Umar but which innocent person makes so many excursions to different courts in order to stall a case in which the charges are mere "persecution"/ "witch hunting"?

Panama Papers full expose is in May, whatever that throws up will show us up for who we are as a nation!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by searchng4love: 6:00am On Apr 23, 2016
the conviction will NOT hold water...

Osyabj:
Too little too late. The die is cast. Saraki will be convicted and the planet will not blink for a second.

6 Likes

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by mysteriousman(m): 6:00am On Apr 23, 2016
Hmm... na now una now say Umar dey that office, make all of una shut up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by searchng4love: 6:01am On Apr 23, 2016
Umar should excuse himself first.

modath:
In every place that sanity reigns, the "eminent"?? lawyers would have prevailed on saraki to resign!!!
I'm not holding brief for Umar but which innocent person makes so many excursions to different courts in order to stall a case in which the charges are mere "persecution"/ "witch hunting"? Panama Papers full expose is in May, whatever that throws up will show us up for who we are as a nation!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 6:02am On Apr 23, 2016
989900:

While I partially agree with you and by extension the old justices, OTOH, in the grand scheme of things, then Saraki's tactics worked perfectly well: try bribing the Judge, if he does not bulge, intimidate him, if he still does not cower, destabilize him and get him to react so you can have him off your case for one of yours to come and preside over the case.

What have the wise men in the article got to say about all of Saraki's shenanigans since the onset of this trial?

Or so far, what have they have said about 'paid justice' in our country as a whole?

The likes of antics like this, and the 'get-away-with-anything' modus operandi is the reason why we have all these calamities befallen upon us, and by whatever it takes, a new path has to be created.

Jail Saraki as a deterrent to others -- bottom line, he made false declaration by his own hand.

He is in court, let him clear his name if he is not guilty as charged . . . he has the option to pursue this further to the supreme court -- let him have at it.
Thank you for your apt respond. I said it the day Umar behaved that way. It was a plan on Saraki's part, but Umar fell for it. It was a plan to let him act against the principle of fair hearing and he wasn't smart enough to caution himself.
I can bet you that Saraki will win at the supreme court because of this lack of fair hearing. Umar fell for the shenanigans

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by hassan85(m): 6:06am On Apr 23, 2016
Check all of them concurring all IPOD lawyers. when PMB said judiciary was his problem they said he cant work well in democracy. Here is another prove of views from educated illiterates. Well its all a fruitile effort.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by modath(f): 6:08am On Apr 23, 2016
searchng4love:
Umar should excuse himself first.

Saraki shouldn't resign "first"?

No matter how much you wish otherwise, Umar will see this case to the very End & Saraki will get all he deserves..

It is expected that he will go all the way to the SC but like he got served trying to stop proceedings, so will he get double portion...

As it is now, there is only so much SUVs, favourable budget paddings & juicy committees can do, his acolytes are beginning to fold under the barrage of intense wide spread public condemnation! Politicians interests are self serving, they won't put Saraki's load for head & be dragging dia own come for back..

*bookmark this post*, Saraki won't survive beyond May-June.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by IamPatriotic(m): 6:08am On Apr 23, 2016
A quick glance at the names of the "eminent lawyers" should tell one where they're coming from, men of dishonour and apostles of corruption camouflaging as statesmen to act as clogs in the wheel of progress of this government, it won't work, because the Buhari's has the support of the majority of Nigerians, so there's nothing the insignificant 5% and cohorts can do other than living with the fact.

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by opalu: 6:09am On Apr 23, 2016
Hahahaha I laugh in igala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 6:12am On Apr 23, 2016
IamPatriotic:
A quick glance at the names of the "eminent lawyers" should tell one where they're coming from, men of dishonour and apostles of corruption marauding as statesmen.
So Belgore is an Igbo? smh!!!
Olalekan is an Igbo man?
I am a free born of the Ijaw Nation and have nothing to do with IPOB.
Nigeria I stand for.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by DickDastardly(m): 6:13am On Apr 23, 2016
modath:

I'm not holding brief for Umar but which innocent person makes so many excursions to different courts in order to stall a case in which the charges are mere "persecution"/ "witch hunting"?

Panama Papers full expose is in May, whatever that throws up will show us up for who we are as a nation!
Ok, but while condemning crime lets also ensure the process of prosecution and judgement doesnt take a jungle trajectory. We all cringe at seeing thieves being burnt alive by angry mobs and we always prefer they be taken to court, even if they still end up with a capital P.

8 Likes

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by chukslawrence(m): 6:17am On Apr 23, 2016
K
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Progressive01(m): 6:19am On Apr 23, 2016
Saraki can buy all the opinion he likes and rent all the protesters he pleases, but in the end, none of what they do will matter- judgement will be passed based on the facts of the case as presented before Umar at the tribunal.

A case for which he's been cleared since march 2015 is what these pricks are still holding unto for Saraki's escape from justice.

What a damn pity.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by searchng4love: 6:19am On Apr 23, 2016
modath:
Saraki shouldn't resign "first"? No matter how much you wish otherwise, Umar will see this case to the very End & Saraki will get all he deserves..It is expected that he will go all the way to the SC but like he got served trying to stop proceedings, so will he get double portion...As it is now, there is only so much SUVs, favourable budget paddings & juicy committees can do, his acolytes are beginning to fold under the barrage of intense wide spread public condemnation! Politicians interests are self serving, they won't put Saraki's load for head & be dragging dia own come for back..*bookmark this post*, Saraki won't survive beyond May-June.

You still don't get it. Saraki must get a fair hearing and law should be applied dispassionately. If he's impeached today is not my biz, even if jailed it does not affect me.... but the process must follow our constitution. That's all. And I will like to advice you to stop being unnecessarily emotional and dramatic about Nigerian political gladiators.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:23am On Apr 23, 2016
Umar has not shown any sign of impartiality in this case, he should withdraw and hand over to another person.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Nobody: 6:25am On Apr 23, 2016
modath:

Saraki shouldn't resign "first"?

No matter how much you wish otherwise, Umar will see this case to the very End & Saraki will get all he deserves..

It is expected that he will go all the way to the SC but like he got served trying to stop proceedings, so will he get double portion...

As it is now, there is only so much SUVs, favourable budget paddings & juicy committees can do, his acolytes are beginning to fold under the barrage of intense wide spread public condemnation! Politicians interests are self serving, they won't put Saraki's load for head & be dragging dia own come for back..

*bookmark this post*, Saraki won't survive beyond May-June.

I would definitely remind you about this post by July 1st.BTW no matter how the case is fast tracked,it won't even end in August.The appeal court and supreme court will hear and rule on the matter before the case is finally decided.

7 Likes

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by modath(f): 6:26am On Apr 23, 2016
searchng4love:

You still don't get it. Saraki must get a fair hearing and law should be applied dispassionately. If he's impeached today is not my biz, even if jailed it does not affect me.... but the process must follow our constitution. That's all. And I will like to advice you to stop being unnecessarily emotional and dramatic about Nigerian political gladiators.

Saraki isn't getting a fair hearing & he's been to four different courts, even up to the SC?

Why are you pipul Laik dis nah? cheesy

Thank you for your advise, next......

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Cadets Undergo Shooting Excercise In Kaduna State. Photos / Nneoma Rochas Okorocha & Jacob Zuma's Wife Pictured In Government House, Owerri / Suicide Bomber Hits Kano, Scores Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.