Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! (48627 Views)

Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira / Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by musicwriter(m): 1:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
989900B:

Thank you.

My question is, how do you 'free float' the Naira against the dollar when every other factor is skewed against the Naira -- that's suicide -- like locking me in a cage-fight without weapons with John Cena.
smiley

Don't mind them.

They don't know if we officially devalue or free-float to N320 to $1 today, the black market would also free-float to N500 to $1, immediately!. Because, the CBN would continue not to have dollar!!.

There's no dollar!!, there's no dollar!!.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by tsdarkside(m): 1:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
989900B:

Thank you.

My question is, how do you 'free float' the Naira against the dollar when every other factor is skewed against the Naira -- that's suicide -- like locking me in a cage-fight without weapons with John Cena.
smiley

dont mind dem....they want to go to a fight with mere sticks....forgeting that the rest of the world have cannons....desaster plan.....

they dont understand that the world economie is like war....their is no fair play when it comes to money....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by drss1(m): 1:10pm On Apr 23, 2016
wonders shall never end! so dem don dey ban pipul for posting economic facts on dis thread pathetic! nobody go shut me up on dis thread!
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by drss1(m): 1:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
make i repeat mysef...
in my oda post wey dem mods ban, i been talk say wetin dey currently happen for egypt no different from wat dey happen for nigeria. d major problem na excessive govt control of fx. na cluelessness for any govt to totaly control foreign exchange. dis na d main ingredient wey dey fuel panic buying n hoarding of dollars from pipul dem. in d end, d result na - scarcity of dollars.
kuku check nigeria's oyel sector. infact wetin dey happen for oyel sector no diffrent from cbn dollar wahala. bauri's lack of international economics go soon land am inside soup. excessive control of petroluem imports to nnpc by dis govt na main tin wey dey cause fuel scarcity. buari no wan independent marketers access foreign exchange to import fuel because him no wan dem to import fuel. na d koko issue wey dey cause fuel scarcity be dat. govt control of economic activities no good. if una check una go see say govt control of factor of production (forex n fuel) no dey go well for d con3 dem. govt control dey cause scarcity.
make buari hands off economics mata cos him no sabi economics.
GOVT CONTROL OF ECNONOMIC ACTIVITIES = SCARCITY.

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by 989900B: 1:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
drss1:
wonders shall never end! so dem don dey ban pipul for posting economic facts on dis thread pathetic! nobody go shut me up on dis thread!

They banned me too. #pathetic
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by 989900B: 1:23pm On Apr 23, 2016
musicwriter:

Don't mind them.

They don't know if we officially devalue or free-float to N320 to $1 today, the black market would also free-float to N500 to $1, immediately!. Because, the CBN would continue not to have dollar!!.

There's no dollar!!, there's no dollar!!.

We've not even touched the massive brain drain like the 80s and the 90s it will further cause, we 're yet to recover from the brain drain as reflected in whom our leaders are -- the smart ones left already . . . my dear Mr. Gworo wants us to devalue to N500 to a dollar . . . lol . . . even Kachikwu will run to America. cheesy
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by arent88(m): 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:

The naira has been subjected to partial devaluation just like in Egypt.

Buhari met the naira at 178 as at may 29. Today the CBN is selling at 215 to a dollar but restricting access to it exactly what the Egyptians are doing and the outcome is strikingly similar to what is going on in Nigeria and the senseless op has the audacity to claim Egypt failed in the same currency policy but Nigeria is winning even where the outcomes are the same for the two nations.

How daft can zombies be?
buhari met the naira at 178,what do u gain by telling this bare face lie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:
The naira is already devalued since the CBN can not meet up with local forex demands and has asked manufacturers, banks, businesses and the general public to source for forex else where.

As things stand now our foreign reserves does not mean sh1t as nobody but buhari and his cronies have access to it.

This is why NNPC is the only sole importer of PMS with Buhari's cronies as agents and why fuel scarcity will forever persists.

The economics of the Naira has taken a back seat to the politicking of the Naira and it has no benefit to any one.

I find lengthy wrte-up witout a single suggestion boring!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by EgusiSoup: 3:00pm On Apr 23, 2016
989900:
Egypt's war on black market currency traders is not going to plan. One month after a devaluation that was supposed to ease an acute dollar shortage in the banking system, clandestine business is booming in cafes, shops and flats.

The central bank, which hoped the 13 percent devaluation would relieve downward pressure on the Egyptian pound, has cracked down on exchange bureaux trading far outside its set range.

And yet the gap between the official and black market rates, which briefly narrowed with the devaluation, is now wider than ever, with dealers buying and selling dollars for 20 percent or more above the official rate of 8.78 pounds.

Traders say the crackdown has only exacerbated the crisis. People with dollars are shunning the official financial system, starving it of foreign currency. This is putting yet more pressure on the pound, with potentially dire consequences for inflation, investors' confidence and economic growth.

"No one sells dollars to the banks any more. They all prefer to go to the black market which will pay them more," said one banker who asked to remain anonymous. "The dollars don't come into the banking system any more and the central bank's dollar reserves are not enough to support the country's import needs."

Egypt has struggled to restore growth since the 2011 uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak scared away tourists and foreign investors - vital sources of the foreign currency it needs to import everything from fuel to food.

Eradicating the black market is essential to restoring investors' confidence, easing the risk that the pound's volatility will erase their profits.

Already, foreign investors are struggling to repatriate earnings because the central bank's reserves have more than halved since 2011 to about $16.5 billion in March. This has made it hard for them to convert pound earnings into foreign currency through the banking system.

Even before last month's devaluation, which was accompanied by the launch of financial instruments aimed at attracting hard currency to the banks, the central bank had resorted to legal force. In February, it revoked the licenses of four exchange companies with 27 offices.

Since then, the expected influx of dollars has failed to materialize and this month it referred 15 more exchange firms to public prosecutors. Then on Wednesday the central bank said it had revoked the licenses of nine more companies for manipulating prices of dollars in the parallel market.

REPEATED OFFENCES

"The decision ... comes after repeated offences by these companies which distorted the exchange market and has harmed the national economy," said Gamal Negm, deputy central bank governor, in remarks published by the state news agency MENA.

Negm added that the bank is working on a new law that could raise the punishment for violators to a prison sentence.

Bankers say the clampdown has backfired because as it became riskier to deal on the black market, the dollar strengthened against the pound and people began hoarding foreign currency to speculate on the rate. This pushed the U.S. currency yet higher, and the pound hit a record low of 11.50 to the dollar this week.

"Traders are speculating on the dollar and those who need dollars for imports can't find the dollars and must buy them from traders and speculators, so the black market rate is putting the Egyptian economy in a tight spot," said Ziad Waleed, an economist at Beltone Financial.

Any further official devaluation would threaten to fuel inflation, a politically explosive development in a country where millions live in poverty. That leaves the central bank with few weapons in its arsenal.

One trader described the situation as a standoff, saying that while the central bank is trying to punish black market dealers, it does not have the resources to fight them.

"We will secure ourselves and we will continue to work and we will do it carefully, as if we were dealing in drugs. We will hoard the dollars and we won't sell. Where will the central bank get dollars from?" he said.

EASY EVASION

Just a few blocks away from one Cairo exchange bureau, a trader sipped coffee at a downtown cafe as he closed deals over the telephone away from the prying eyes of the authorities.

"Do you have riyals?" he asked another trader, quoting the black market rate for the Saudi currency. "I will take all of it."

This is one example of how easily traders are adapting to tighter oversight.

They quote official rates at the exchange bureaux, which are closely monitored, without making any deals. Business is then done at cafes or elsewhere at black market rates, dealers said.

Outside the bureaux, young men puff on cigarettes and whisper to customers: "Dollars? Euros?"

"No one buys or sells at the official rate, so as soon as the customer leaves there are guys standing outside to catch them and deal with the unofficial rates," said another exchange bureau manager in downtown Cairo.

It should be easy to clamp down on these men, but traders say agents of the Interior Ministry's General Department of Public Funds Crime Investigation Unit, which is responsible for tackling illegal trading outside the bureaux, are easily bribed.

Reuters spoke to 10 traders who either work, own, or collaborate with exchange bureaux and all said that their operations run smoothly thanks to bribes and favors that are given to Public Funds forces and central bank employees.

"It does not put a dent in profits," said one exchange bureau worker, adding that a single branch of the company he works for makes around 6 million Egyptian pounds ($675,680 at the official rate or about $522,000 on the black market) in profit each month on black market trades alone.

The Interior Ministry spokesman did not respond to requests for comment and officials at the central bank, which does not have a spokesman, were not available for comment.

Exchange bureaus are licensed to operate with a certain amount of funds but most have offices or apartments where business is carried out off the books.

"If they close the exchange bureaux we will continue to work from the streets and this way the dollar price will reach 13 or 15 pounds per dollar," one trader said.

LUGGAGE SHOPS AND CARS

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has made economic revival a priority but is also mindful of protecting the poor, with his government slowing cuts to subsidies which keep down some food and fuel prices but burden the budget.

If the central bank is forced into repeated devaluations to keep up with the black market, this would be a nightmare for authorities trying to stabilize the economy.

But so is the current situation, where the public sector functions at an official exchange rate wholly disconnected from the rest of the economy which has to deal on the black market.

Black market activity is fast and efficient.

In Cairo, a luggage store manager took 20,000 pounds from his wooden desk in return for $2,000, a deal made with a customer who had been turned down at the exchange bureau next door. The operation took under a minute.

One trader showed Reuters a car he uses to transfer funds to clients in rubbish bags hidden in the boot. "The largest amount this car carried is the equivalent of 11 million Egyptian pounds," he said proudly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-egypt-dollars-blackmarket-idUSKCN0XI1W9

@Modath: Pls. summarize for them you know who. cheesy
That mean the dullard will soon visit Egypt undecided

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by CACAWA(m): 3:01pm On Apr 23, 2016
aeronot:
Lets stop deceiving ourselves, if you want to do an online transaction the banks are charging black market rates 319, it is only when u are receiving money or changing dollar to naira the banks gladly charge 199! We should stop all this deceit!
dude don't dull yourself o.

Don't send money using wester Union or any useless bank transfer. Use azimo

They give you at black market rate my brother. I have been enjoying myself since I discovered it.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by quickly: 3:06pm On Apr 23, 2016
Devaluation would only favor a country that manufacturers like China.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Chinom(m): 3:07pm On Apr 23, 2016
I am not usually a fan of PMB, but I stand with him for 100% on this issue of NO DEVALUATION. Devaluing the Naira will not solve any problem. It will only add to our woes. Manufacturers can at least buy their foreign currencies at the official CBN rate. That saves us from humungous price increases.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by redcliff: 3:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
aeronot:
Lets stop deceiving ourselves, if you want to do an online transaction the banks are charging black market rates 319, it is only when u are receiving money or changing dollar to naira the banks gladly charge 199! We should stop all this deceit!

Lmao.. I concur!!!
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
989900:

cheesy grin cheesy

I guess this will keep them naysayers quiet for some while about their 'devaluation El-dorado'.
Do they even take note? They just look for where Buhari stands on a situation and they take opposing view. That's their brand of opposition

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
How is it rubbish to reproduce a "factual" report verbatim. did he add any opinion. You are just too rude. The fact that you are online is not a licence for gratuitous unruliness.
Did you read the headline that the OP used? It called for the response he got. Get it?
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Adminisher: 3:14pm On Apr 23, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:
The naira is already devalued since the CBN can not meet up with local forex demands and has asked manufacturers, banks, businesses and the general public to source for forex else where.

As things stand now our foreign reserves does not mean sh1t as nobody but buhari and his cronies have access to it.

This is why NNPC is the only sole importer of PMS with Buhari's cronies as agents and why fuel scarcity will forever persists.

The economics of the Naira has taken a back seat to the politicking of the Naira and it has no benefit to any one.

This partial devaluation or devaluation through the back door is just good enough. It is also important that only the FG and state governments have access to the foreign reserves. There are many development projects and infrastructure construction that need the dollars. The worst that could happen is for the FG to crash the official exchange rate.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by miqos02(m): 3:16pm On Apr 23, 2016
coll
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 23, 2016
ichidodo:
What is there to be thankful,you f**king propagandist? Egypt has refused to devalue their currency,at least the most they have done is partial devaluation just like Nigeria, that is why the blackmarkets are thriving thus you have customers patronizing them instead of the Banks and enabling extreme pressure on their currency just as you have the naira.....Now,F**k off.
I'm sure you didn't read the write up before cursing and swearing. Egypt devalued it's currency and yet it couldn't bridge the gap between the official rate and unregulated market.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by MrPresident1: 3:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
Buhari will be declared lord and saviour, the messiah of Nigeria, very soon, when the Yuan is backed with gold and the Dollar starts to flounder.

A 'most timely and fortuitous' move away from the Dollar to the Yuan in the nick of time that saved Nigeria from being affected by the economic disaster in the west.

Buhari will be hailed as the wisest leader ever liveth. grin
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by hmohammed(m): 3:20pm On Apr 23, 2016
4Play:

The sad thing is their obliviousness to their profound economic illiteracy. He puts up an article about the ill-fated move by the Egyptian government to fix exchange rates, instead of leaving it to market supply and demand to determine as economists recommend, and proclaims that this illustrates that the Nigerian government is vindicated!

To the contrary, the Egyptians are doing what the Nigerians are doing and are predictably failing. The fact that they have chosen to devalue a bit doesn't refute the fundamental diagnosis - governments cannot simply fix echange rates unless they have sufficient forex reserves to back it up. Nigeria does not have the reserves to fix the Naira at a particular price level so insisting on doing so will cause unnecessary hardship and creates opportunities for corruption via round-tripping. Why is this so difficult for Nigerians to understand?

So wen you know that our major proem is dat we don't have enough forex, that means a devaluation of the Naira will not solve our problem and that is exactly what the OP iss talking about.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by yaki84: 3:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
989900:

cheesy grin cheesy

I guess this will keep them naysayers quiet for some while about their 'devaluation El-dorado'.

what is the opposite of DEVALUATION?

can d govt then do the opposite....
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by omonnakoda: 3:26pm On Apr 23, 2016
stereo:

Did you read the headline that the OP used? It called for the response he got. Get it?
no
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by akigbemaru: 3:27pm On Apr 23, 2016
Egypt devaluation
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by ohenhen1: 3:28pm On Apr 23, 2016
I am not against Naira devaluation if Nigeria benefits from it. I don't see any benefit from Naira devaluation at this time. Our reserves are going back up. We don't export a lot of goods. We are still getting FDI from long term investors.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by tsdarkside(m): 3:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
MrPresident1:
Buhari will be declared lord and saviour, the messiah of Nigeria, very soon when the Yuan is backed with gold and the Dollar starts to flounder.

A 'most timely and fortuitous' move away from the Dollar to the Yuan in the nick of time that saved Nigeria from being affected by the economic disaster in the west.

hmmmm....your view is interessting...indeed...
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by dragunov: 3:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
ichidodo:
Yep..And the troglodytes expect us to hold hands and sing kumbaya for this shyte piece of propaganda?? Maybe they forget we aren't zombies like them....the f**kin lot.
How is it that you wailers love using the word 'propaganda' like its some kind of fancy word with a meaning so versatile it can be applied to any discourse? Any small thing "PROPAGANDA ". Don't you guys have some other word to articulate your frustrations?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by tsdarkside(m): 4:12pm On Apr 23, 2016
aeronot:

of course.....everybody want to earn money...its human-nature....
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Excuzeme: 4:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
aeronot:

The Banks and their owners/Directors are CRIMINALS.
They are another leg of the Corruption we are talking about.
Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Ijaya123: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2016
dragunov:
How is it that you wailers love using the word 'propaganda' like its some kind of fancy word with a meaning so versatile it can be applied to any discourse? Any small thing "PROPAGANDA ". Don't you guys have some other word to articulate your frustrations?

Most of them are simply filled with needless hatred and have little or no space for any sensible attributes again.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by tsdarkside(m): 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2016
dragunov:

i noticed one thing about the wailers.....

their phantasy explode when it comes to abusing people....

but when it comes to presenting solutions............................................................................mute!!!!!.......

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by Excuzeme: 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2016
MrPresident1:
Buhari will be declared lord and saviour, the messiah of Nigeria, very soon when the Yuan is backed with gold and the Dollar starts to flounder.

America and the IMF are not smiling at any move for Nigeria to peg to the Yuan.
Just watch as they find "an excuse" (human right, devaluation, gay law, e.t.c) for one sanction or the other, just to arm twist us to continue to back their "factory-printed" paper-Dollar, at the expense of everyone.

Recall that the Dollar is no longer backed by Gold or anything of value!
So, other countries just sell/exchange their RESOURCES for the Dollar, while America just goes to its printer and tell them to keep printing the Paper.... and selling to others.

Also recall, this os one of the cardinal Sins of Ghadafi, Sadam, Castro and many other leaders like Savimbi, Samora Mitchel, e.t.c.
Any Leader of any country who tries to upstage the Dollar and expose it as the SCAM that it is, is marked for toppling, and if that is not possible, for execution

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! by XaintJoel20: 4:33pm On Apr 23, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:
But OP what you are pointing out in Egypt is exactly what is going on in Nigeria with the huge gap between the parallel market and the official rates.

Did you even read the rubbish you posted?
Don't mind him. He want's to make us believe Buhari is on the right path by refusing to devalue the naira, not know that the naira has since devalued itself against the dollar since the days of Methuselah...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Guess The Bank (photos) / Tuoyo Omatsuli And Oludewa Welcome Triplets / Meet The Nigerian Woman That Built 4 Bedroom Flat From Roasted Corn Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.