Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Any Nairalander In Abidjan? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Nairalander In Abidjan? (183775 Views)

How Petrol Tankers Move In Canada And Abidjan / Any Nairalander In Kenya Can I Hustle In Kenya? / THE BEAUTY Of ABIDJAN, COTE D'IVOIRE (ALL PHOTOS + VIDEOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ifyalways(f): 9:10am On Oct 03, 2016
Hehehe @ On daily basis Spaghetti. Enjoy. All the best with your accommodation plans.
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Saveasoul: 6:19pm On Oct 03, 2016
how easy is it to get European visa from Abidjan and how much will it cost pls I need a first class infor
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by LeStylo: 8:22am On Oct 04, 2016
Very interesting thread. I was in Abidjan and travelled many parts if the country as an engineer between 2008 an010 before the Gbagbo crises shut down my company operations. My last visit was in 2012. This thread enlivened those awesome memories.

But by every means, Abidjan is one of the liveliest, beautiful and secured cities in Africa. By World Bank ranking, Abidjan has got the best infrastructure of all West African cities.

@saveasoul
Difficult to get a European visa from Abidjan or any West African country. You will likely be referred to your country of origin.

@ngcars
Spaghetti avec robin plus un pot de lait caille. I ate and savoured it from day one. I never adapted to the bread though. I got more adaptable bread from the patisserie.

Language will be your least problem. Abidjan is very cosmopolitan, lots of nationals from different countries. Nigerians would only be outnumbered by Burkinabes. Treichvilles, Kumasi, Adjame and Marjory remblais and Biafra. (Yes, there's a quartier called Biafra) have Nigerians in swarms. The people of Ehigbo in Osun state have run businesses in Ivory Coast for generations. Once met an old man who said his dad brought him to Abidjan in 1942 and he's today a grandpa smiley

Enjoy your stay bro. We would love to hear your story.

5 Likes

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by goodieuzo: 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2016
That is lovely @lestylo.ngcars try and update the house on your experiences.
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ngcars(m): 5:06pm On Oct 04, 2016
My experience is that naira is not smiling at the moment. I paid through my nose for my apartment because of poor value of naira. Like ugosample earlier said "come prepared" if you must come. Hotel is expensive, renting an apartment in some areas is. Heard some areas are cheap though.

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Ugosample(m): 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2016
ngcars:
My experience is that naira is not smiling at the moment. I paid through my nose for my apartment because of poor value of naira. Like ugosample earlier said "come prepared" if you must come. Hotel is expensive, renting an apartment in some areas is. Heard some areas are cheap though.

I'm happy you are settling down without much hassle.
In three months time, you would be able to communicate in basic French, like buying things and stuffs like that....

I asked you a question previously, but didn't get a response from you.

About the exchange rate the banks are charging you on your card.
pls respond to that, thanks
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ngcars(m): 8:41pm On Oct 04, 2016
@ugosample

I withdrew 50k cefa using my stanbic ATM here, I was charged 45500 naira. It is horrible.

Stanbic used to have the best rate judging by what I see online.

But they have started charging the highest since last week. Beware
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by 4stylz: 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2016
ngcars:
@ugosample

I withdrew 50k cefa using my stanbic ATM here, I was charged 45500 naira. It is horrible.

Stanbic used to have the best rate judging by what I see online.

But they have started charging the highest since last week. Beware

What do you do over there for a living?
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ngcars(m): 11:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
A plate of acheke for the night.

2 Likes

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Aringarosa(m): 7:41am On Oct 05, 2016
ngcars:

Souhaite la bienvenue.

Just to draw attention on what i emphasized earlier in my post, i mentioned that folks who have the intention of coming down should get their vaccination for meningitis and yellow fever up to date in the "carte jeune", to avoid spending needless sum at the border post. Thank God you were able to sort it out.

When you mentioned that you chose to remain in Marcory due to obvious security reason what do you mean ? I'm asking just so other intended travelers who would want to chose to live in other areas wouldn't be scared, cuz when it comes to security, every nook and cranny of the city has same blanket security. I'm guessing your choosing Marcory is due to the high concentrations of Nigerians and not for security as you mentioned.

Concerning the exchange rates, the Naira has been in a catastrophic fall in the last couple of weeks and if it continues this way, I'm afraid it's will soon be equal to the CFA.

Just in case nobody has told you, there's is a Nigerian restaurant in that same Marciry Remblais (Ify's place) where you can a good Nigerian dish.

Once again, welcome to abidjan enjoy your stay and remain blessed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by cutieme(m): 9:08am On Oct 05, 2016
@ng cars,pls how much did u get your Accomodation? Is it a self contain apartment or single room? Pls tell us more,thanks.
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 05, 2016
Harzontorh:

On dit quoi mon frere. J'étais au mali et burkina. mais je suis allé la bas pour le vacances seulement.

moi même ca me rend très heureux que toi aussi tu connais chez nous a babi.

Tu est ou actuellement?
COMBIEN DOIS-JE RÉGLER EN CÔTE-D'IVOIRE
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Perkyplucky: 12:29pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hi everyone, really love this thread. am good in beads making. can d beads making business profitable over there in Abidjan?
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Harzontorh: 2:27pm On Oct 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Harzontorh: 2:36pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hello house if you are new to knowing what 'Abidjan' look like. Then go to this page and see pictures and videos on Abidjan

https://www.nairaland.com/3072468/beauty-abidjan-cote-divoire-all

. Drop your questions here on this thread. I and montanaguy have been keeping people updated on this blog. you can as well read from beginning of you are new

New Note: I will be releasing A detailed travel story through west Africa which covered Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina, Liberia, Sierraleone, Guniea, Senaegal and Cape Verde. Its gonna be a guide. So anticipate a very loving story ever. It may be released on this forum and other africawebsite like africatravel. Thanks.

@azonto_zeus

4 Likes

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Harzontorh: 2:37pm On Oct 05, 2016
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Ugosample(m): 8:39pm On Oct 05, 2016
Harzontorh:

On dit quoi mon frere. J'étais au mali et burkina. mais je suis allé la bas pour le vacances seulement.

moi même ca me rend très heureux que toi aussi tu connais chez nous a babi.

Tu est ou actuellement?

Comment ça va Mon frère.

ça fait un peu lomgtemps....
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Harzontorh: 12:53am On Oct 06, 2016
Ugosample:

Comment ça va Mon frère.

ça fait un peu lomgtemps....

oui chef .. je suis meme tres occupé ces jours la. Quoi de neuf. Donne moi ton numéro de whatsap la. Tu peu m'envoyer en message
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Perkyplucky: 1:10am On Oct 06, 2016
Harzontorh:

oh my God thats the best Idea of the year. You would be in Money that you yourself would be tired of. but then you will need a capital to start. The bead is highly selling at Abidjan. My Sister is selling bead there too. we are ivoirians. i can connect you with couple of peeps too. But moneybto start is the main thing. You will have to buy beads from Lagos the make is there as per the customers design and style. My sister sell beads minimum 11k cfa. check that.

so butbyou have to carry many beads and have connections in both countries so that your people can send more to you. cos its expensive in Abidjan and fashionista needs more. Remember Abidjan is a home of gashion in Africa.
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Perkyplucky: 1:12am On Oct 06, 2016
Tenks soooooo much.. really appreciate ur replies. will work on dat but pls can u give me ur contact 4 better chat?
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Perkyplucky: 10:44am On Oct 06, 2016
Hi friends, No reply? why silence?
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by cutieme(m): 7:15am On Oct 08, 2016
ng cars,why are you like this? All the questions I asked ,you didn't answer any! People gave you the right information you needed before you embarked on your journey,why ain't you doing the same.Pls let's be our brother's keeper!
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by pat077: 10:34am On Oct 08, 2016
good4all40:
I will be visiting soon too maybe by September by God's grace. I have a friend who lives at Adjame he is from Osun State you will be surprised that 70% of Nigerians living in Abidjan are from Osun State, ranging from Ejigbo the highest Nigerians so far to IWO, EDE, IRAGBERI, OGBOMOSO, OYO, ILORIN few EDO, DELTANS IGBOS and very few Hausas from Nigeria but they are countless Hausas from other countries like Niger, Ghana, Gambia etc. The last time I visited l met with our Ambassador Mrs. IFEOMA AKABOGU she is a very welcoming and friendly ambassador. With 250,000 Naira you are good to go Atleast for a starter if you are planning migration depending on the area you will stay and the kind of business you will love to venture in. You can pm me or the brother above pertaining to business and cost of accommodation of your preferred areas.
like which biz can one start with the 250k as a starter and do one need visa
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by cutieme(m): 3:09pm On Oct 08, 2016
please Harzontorh can u link me to that your person for the bead business let's discuss how I can be supplying her with some good and beautiful beads,thanks
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ifyalways(f): 4:41am On Oct 10, 2016
cutieme:
please Harzontorh can u link me to that your person for the bead business let's discuss how I can be supplying her with some good and beautiful beads,thanks
Are you sure this is a "good" business idea?

I ask because:
I'm "sure" Nigerians buy original corals and beads from Ghana.

Our fashion sense is entirely different from the Francophones. They love it wild, screaming and shiny.

Make-up, dress making, hair making, bead making are some of the things a Nigerian dares not compete with, with the Francophone.

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by cutieme(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2016
@,ifyalways,please what business can u recommend?
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by schboy3: 11:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
So finally...... It's was sunday 09/10, havinq booked ma ticket à day before, ah had to leave home early (3rd coach tins) cry cry
Because of the rain in laqos, 1st left around 9am, 2nd by 10am, while 3rd (ma coach) left by 3pm shocked shocked......
It wasn't à small tin ooo, Infact ah even had to chanqe ma departure date for Monday, because it's was DAMN late, buh moi frère had to still ask me to chill, and since no one boardinq the 3rd coach (about 30) has left.

Ok ooo, so finally we left the park by 3pm, and qot to the niqeria into benin border by 6pm, spent like 20-35mins with the NDLEA, and less than 20mins at the border, (NB: we didnt cross on foot, we stayed back in the coach).

qot to the benin into toqo border by 9:45pm, and everywhere was dryyyyy shocked, and YES... we came down and crossed on foot, aqain since it was sunday and late, ah quess that was why it went effortless, unlike other days, and we spent less than 35mins there.

@ugosample, ah know u qonna ask for exchanqe raté, buh the truth is, those aboki were no where to be found embarassed, like seriously......, the only people at the border was the women sellinq foods and drink, etc.

Honestly ah was surprise to see the border as dry as the way it was....., buh ah never knew we were inn for another shocker......

We were still in toqo till around 10:30pm, and it was obvious that we won't be able to cross to the qhana side cry,
So we had to stop at a 'more' safe place, and spent the niqht there., well the niqht was crazy and also fun.

So we had to leave our location around 5:30am dis morninq, in other to be amonq the first set that will cross, and also beat the traffic rush, and about 1km away from the toqo into qhana border, u will think u are drivinq into à DANGOTE cément plant.... Wow, no be small tin ooo.

So before crossinq, the exchanqe quys were seeinq around, (NB: we still in the toqo side) and surprisly, the quys refuse to accept Naira cool shocked shocked, no be small tin ooo, as if they all planned it, no one was acceptinq to chanqe anythinq (CFA/Cedis) for naira, some even bouqht sims for 600h lolz.

Buh on qettinq to the qhana border, where u will have to come down with ur luqqaqe, we met another set of exchanqe quys, and they chanqe for 8.6

Now the main joker is the raté @ugosample,
N1000 = 8cedis 60 penswu.
N10000 = 86 qhc.
That's the real fallinq hand.... N1000 for just 8qhc This chanqe is really really chanqinq everythinq, àh remember ma previous trip around, November, it's was N1000 = 20qhc, God have mercy.

Well, after sendinq like an hour 25mins there, we continued our journey, and finally we qot to the park (last bus-stop) by 1pm. Finally, à journey dat wasn't suppose to take dis lonq, just nose dive...
Well thank God for safe landinq.

So demain (mardi) àh will be headinq to TUDU to check for the STC bus qoinq to ivory coast. And hopefully je vais voyaqe au mercredi.

This was ma qhana trip expérience, expect the ivory coast own, hopefully it will be less stressful as dis.
The naira has really really lost it value, cedis is now far far better to naira.

AWKAABA.......

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Ugosample(m): 7:14am On Oct 11, 2016
schboy3:
So finally...... It's was sunday 09/10, havinq booked ma ticket à day before, ah had to leave home early (3rd coach tins) cry cry
Because of the rain in laqos, 1st left around 9am, 2nd by 10am, while 3rd (ma coach) left by 3pm shocked shocked......
It wasn't à small tin ooo, Infact ah even had to chanqe ma departure date for Monday, because it's was DAMN late, buh moi frère had to still ask me to chill, and since no one boardinq the 3rd coach (about 30) has left.

Ok ooo, so finally we left the park by 3pm, and qot to the niqeria into benin border by 6pm, spent like 20-35mins with the NDLEA, and less than 20mins at the border, (NB: we didnt cross on foot, we stayed back in the coach).

qot to the benin into toqo border by 9:45pm, and everywhere was dryyyyy shocked, and YES... we came down and crossed on foot, aqain since it was sunday and late, ah quess that was why it went effortless, unlike other days, and we spent less than 35mins there.

@ugosample, ah know u qonna ask for exchanqe raté, buh the truth is, those aboki were no where to be found embarassed, like seriously......, the only people at the border was the women sellinq foods and drink, etc.

Honestly ah was surprise to see the border as dry as the way it was....., buh ah never knew we were inn for another shocker......

We were still in toqo till around 10:30pm, and it was obvious that we won't be able to cross to the qhana side cry,
So we had to stop at a 'more' safe place, and spent the niqht there., well the niqht was crazy and also fun.

So we had to leave our location around 5:30am dis morninq, in other to be amonq the first set that will cross, and also beat the traffic rush, and about 1km away from the toqo into qhana border, u will think u are drivinq into à DANGOTE cément plant.... Wow, no be small tin ooo.

So before crossinq, the exchanqe quys were seeinq around, (NB: we still in the toqo side) and surprisly, the quys refuse to accept Naira cool shocked shocked, no be small tin ooo, as if they all planned it, no one was acceptinq to chanqe anythinq (CFA/Cedis) for naira, some even bouqht sims for 600h lolz.

Buh on qettinq to the qhana border, where u will have to come down with ur luqqaqe, we met another set of exchanqe quys, and they chanqe for 8.6

Now the main joker is the raté @ugosample,
N1000 = 8cedis 60 penswu.
N10000 = 86 qhc.
That's the real fallinq hand.... N1000 for just 8qhc This chanqe is really really chanqinq everythinq, àh remember ma previous trip around, November, it's was N1000 = 20qhc, God have mercy.

Well, after sendinq like an hour 25mins there, we continued our journey, and finally we qot to the park (last bus-stop) by 1pm. Finally, à journey dat wasn't suppose to take dis lonq, just nose dive...
Well thank God for safe landinq.

So demain (mardi) àh will be headinq to TUDU to check for the STC bus qoinq to ivory coast. And hopefully je vais voyaqe au mercredi.

This was ma qhana trip expérience, expect the ivory coast own, hopefully it will be less stressful as dis.
The naira has really really lost it value, cedis is now far far better to naira.

AWKAABA.......

Huh shocked shocked

8.6 to 1000?

This is terrible!!!!
At least the thing should have remained at 10, now it has gone under.

Anyways, thanks for the update.
It was helpful.
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ifyalways(f): 8:43am On Oct 11, 2016
Are you people living in the moon or just not travelling in recent times hence the surprise at the exchange rates?

1000 ngn has for over one year now been LESS than 9 GHC. It's always hovering btw 7.5 and 8.9 GHC.

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by ifyalways(f): 8:49am On Oct 11, 2016
cutieme:
@,ifyalways,please what business can u recommend?
I've said it before now. For a woman:
Restaurant, Naija Food and small chops.

Ship handler @ ports. You need to work under someone to gain the experience.

Naija foodstuff business. Eg raw egusi, yam, noodles, etc

If you are educated and bi-lingual ie can speak French then you can get a job in the banks, travel industry .

Honestly, I'm not sure Abidjan is a place for a single lady to go for business as there are very limited businesses you can do. If you have a brother in spare parts or used clothes line, you can team up with him and travel together. He handles the importing and smuggling in goods part, you handle sales.

2 Likes

Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by Ugosample(m): 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2016
ifyalways:
Are you people living in the moon or just not travelling in recent times hence the surprise at the exchange rates?

1000 ngn has for over one year now been LESS than 9 GHC. It's always hovering btw 7.5 and 8.9 GHC.

I beg to disagree @ifyalways

I was in Ghana in December, and the rate was 16 to 1000 and in March this year it fell to 11.5 to 1000.

This is my own experience sis cheesy
It used to be 20 GHC.

Very bad
Re: Any Nairalander In Abidjan? by cutieme(m): 5:01pm On Oct 11, 2016
@ifyalways please sis can u throw more light on that business? I mean the raw egusi stuff. How is it done?If possible link me up to whoever does the Biz there thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (51) (Reply)

8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening / Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.