Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging (5735 Views)

Get $150 In Free Adwords Credit When You Spend $150.* / 4 Useful Free Blogging Features Anyone Can Use To Start Blog / Advantages & Disadvantages Of Using Free Blogging Platform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Aphatech: 5:57pm On Apr 24, 2016
The Problems with Free Blogs
As a blogger, you have the option of setting up a blog for free on a variety of websites. This sounds like a great idea in theory, but there are some huge downsides to using a free blog site:

Problem #1: “Free” is not free
Although it may seem strange, free blog sites exist to make money for the company offering you the “free” blog. They don’t give you a blog space because they like you. Instead, they make money off of the time and hard work you invest in writing your blog. This is done in a couple of ways:

They sell your ad space
Free blog sites will put advertisements on your blog. You have absolutely no control over what is being advertised on your blog and you will not see a single penny of the money they receive from selling this ad space.

They sell you “upgrades”
Signing-up for one of these services may be free, but you will quickly realize that to make any significant changes to your blog you will have to pay.
Want to change your blog design? $50.
Want your own domain name? $20 per year.

Problem #2: No profit
The goal of free blog sites is to make money for the company offering the blog space, not for you. This means that you are not allowed to sell products or services through your free blog.
In addition, the company offering you the free blog makes all the profit from selling ad space on your blog. As you will see in the step-by-step tutorial, selling ad space is a major source of revenue for most blogs, and it is something that is just not possible with a free blog.

Problem #3: No control
When you start your blog on a free website you are essentially renting your blog space. Because of this, the landlord is the one who has all the power. If they decide to close their doors on you for any reason, then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it since you don’t actually own the blog.
To make matters worse, free blog sites don’t give you access to the full range of features that you need in order to become a successful blogger. In the step-by-step guide on this site I show you some cool tips and tricks you can use to optimize your blog. Unfortunately, many of these things simply can’t be done on a free blog site.

Problem #4: Poor security
The reality of the internet is that sometimes sites get hacked. Yes, this even happens to new, smaller blogs. If this happens to you, and you are using a free blog provider, the hacker can steal your domain name, which means that you will lose your entire site and may never get it back.

In short, I recommend that you stay far, far away from free blogging sites. It just isn’t worth the headache or risk, no matter what type of blog you are starting.
The good news is that paying for your own blog can prevent all of these issues, and it isn’t expensive. In fact, it is cheaper than a “free” blog because there aren’t any hidden fees.

#TeamNCT cares

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by gidimasters(m): 6:10pm On Apr 24, 2016
ftc...
happy new week from [url=gidimasters.com]Gidimasters Blog[/url]
meanwhile check this trending topic...

http://gidimasters.com/2016/04/7-ways-to-increase-battery-life-of-your.html
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Aphatech: 7:15pm On Apr 24, 2016
@lalasticlala Let someone learn!
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 25, 2016
But Linda Ikeji?

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by gist4kidsblog: 6:45am On Apr 25, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Nobody: 6:47am On Apr 25, 2016
Nice piece of information..
I clap for you

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by emmaak2(m): 6:49am On Apr 25, 2016
charix:
But Linda Ikeji?

WHAT IS IT WITH HER?
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by shocker007(m): 6:50am On Apr 25, 2016
I won't totally agree with that;
Have you seen what this company do with blogger platform?
Check them out: AppFishers Inc

They even cloned Naijaloaded template on blogger with many exclusive projects.
Never seen any firm in Naija to do such things.
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by DrAda(f): 6:57am On Apr 25, 2016
I don't entirely agree with the op especially when it concerns new beginners who are just trying out the vast ocean that is blogging for the first time . To each their own. Free blogging provides you with the opportunity to learn the ropes at no cost. No harm no foul. Perhaps, once you are solidly grounded, you can then decide to branch off on your own terms, while importing on your new site the entire contents of your old blog.
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Tintinnoty(m): 6:59am On Apr 25, 2016
Wow
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Caspian22(m): 6:59am On Apr 25, 2016
Free blogging is bad and all that, we've heard.
But those first timers who want to begin blogging should not be afraid to start with a free platform.

We all learn gradually, nothing big ever starts big. With time everyone will understand what they need to improve their blog.
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by TheEvilPriest(m): 6:59am On Apr 25, 2016
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Vicotex(m): 7:00am On Apr 25, 2016
Op is trying to tell us not to use

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Adesege(m): 7:03am On Apr 25, 2016
True
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by FuckDModz: 7:03am On Apr 25, 2016
not true with blogger

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by haibe(m): 7:05am On Apr 25, 2016
FuckDModz:
not true with blogger
exactly

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Generalkorex(m): 7:14am On Apr 25, 2016
Not true with blogger

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 25, 2016
paid and free are d same.
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Aminat508(f): 7:24am On Apr 25, 2016
Op stop bn sarcastic, go straight to the point....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Bigdreams(m): 7:25am On Apr 25, 2016
Thanks for the info.

Check my signature.
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Adesege(m): 7:28am On Apr 25, 2016
Aminat508:
Op stop bn sarcastic, go straight to the point....

Can you come down to my level please

Wetin sarcastic mean?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Aminat508(f): 7:33am On Apr 25, 2016
Adesege:

Can you come down to my level please

Wetin sarcastic mean?

grin
Lmao cheesy go straight to the point. Free website like?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by ournaijablog(f): 7:35am On Apr 25, 2016
Nothing wrong with free blogging, I started with to build my audience now I own ournaijablog.com

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Adesege(m): 7:37am On Apr 25, 2016
Aminat508:
Lmao cheesy go straight to the point. Free website like?

shocked

Na wetin u talk be that

Me wey no go school now nko

I dey look for private tutor o and it was shown to me in the dream say my tisher's name Na Aminat something grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by bastien: 7:40am On Apr 25, 2016
Lubbish, tell Linda na..... If free domain they give u money then stick to am
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Aminat508(f): 7:41am On Apr 25, 2016
Adesege:

shocked

Na wetin u talk be that

Me wey no go school now nko

I dey look for private tutor o and it was shown to me in the dream say my tisher's name Na Aminat something grin
Lmao! Funny cheesy grin
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Adesege(m): 7:44am On Apr 25, 2016
Aminat508:
Lmao! Funny cheesy grin

grin

I was expecting you to give me timetable and classwork but you are laffing.

Continue laffing.

Dia ris God o

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by iykepromotions: 7:50am On Apr 25, 2016
the big fact is that you need to spend money to make money online

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Aminat508(f): 7:50am On Apr 25, 2016
Adesege:

grin

I was expecting you to give me timetable and classwork but you are laffing.

Continue laffing.

Dia ris God o
you re sagacious wink
Re: Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 25, 2016
emmaak2:

WHAT IS IT WITH HER?
She doesn't care for all the information penned in this article but she has both followers and revenue. The time her blog was closed and she was given the option to pay for a domain she actively refused till almost a week later then immediately jumped back to the free domain when her blog was reopened.

Tldr: She singlehandedly nullified everything the OP touts as wrong practices and makes serious money while at it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Earn Money Online Legitimately? / Web Site For N1,000(php,html) / What Are The Disadvantage Of Free Hosting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.