Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,365 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:13 PM

Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. (3277 Views)

Please How Does The Car Remote Work? / Car Remote Starter Installation! First In Nigeria! (starts From 80k) / Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 6:25pm On Apr 24, 2016
Please help, my Toyota Corolla (09) remotes drain battery fast. I have replaced the batteries 3 times already in 18 months. Even the spare exhausts the battery without being used.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by sholajigga(m): 1:30am On Apr 25, 2016
That car needs to be sanctified. Take it to your pastor or Islamic cleric better still babalawo.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Lexusgs430: 4:30am On Apr 25, 2016
paix:
Please help, my Toyota Corolla (09) remotes drain battery fast. I have replaced the batteries 3 times already in 18 months. Even the spare exhausts the battery without being used.

The batteries you are probably using are not top quality

1 Like

Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 25, 2016
1. Is it an OEM (factory-fitted) remote or aftermarket?

2. Are you sure the keys are not accidentally being pressed continuously where the remote is kept?

3. Have you been buying quality batteries?
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 10:58am On Apr 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:

The batteries you are probably using are not top quality
When I requested for the quality one, they gave me this one.

Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by princemillla(m): 11:08am On Apr 25, 2016
I doubt if the remote is factory fitted. My last aftermarket remote also ruin my battery. Had to disconnect it. My Bro is also currently facing same issue.

My best advice take ur car to a good rewire for proper correction
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by AutoJoshNG: 11:12am On Apr 25, 2016
paix:

Hello Paix,

1) Make sure you buy an original battery.
2) Make sure the remote is not pressed and held down especially when in your pocket.
3) Has any liquid ever spilled on the remote? If yes, the remote may need some internal cleansing.
4) Check the battery connectors or terminals to ensure there is no circuit problem.

Website: www.autojosh.com, Twitter: @AutoJoshNG, Facebook: Autojoshng and Instagram: autojoshng
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by mayor2013: 11:14am On Apr 25, 2016
Problems associated with

1) substandard battery. Original ones sell between 1500-2000
2) an after market remote fitted. If you are having one I would advice you get the oem remote to give you and your car some rest of mind
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 11:19am On Apr 25, 2016
0rex:
1. Is it an OEM (factory-fitted) remote or aftermarket?

2. Are you sure the keys are not accidentally being pressed continuously where the remote is kept?

3. Have you been buying quality batteries?
The pic of the remote and the battery. The remote is usually kept away from any object accidentally pressing the keys, thanks.

Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 25, 2016
paix:
The pic of the remote and the battery. The remote is usually kept away from any object accidentally pressing the keys, thanks.
You are welcome.

That is an aftermarket remote. I'm suspecting that either the remote or the battery is not a good product (the battery current consumption of the remote is related to its design efficiency).

I suggest, you buy a packet of those batteries and change as required or upgrade your keyless entry system to a better one.

Also, avoid placing your keys in a hot environment like inside the car on a sunny day (I hope you have not been doing this ).
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 11:35am On Apr 25, 2016
[quote author=0rex post=45023798]
You are welcome.

That is an aftermarket remote. I'm suspecting that either the remote or the battery is not a good product (the battery current consumption of the remote is related to its design efficiency).

I suggest, you buy a packet of those batteries and change as required or upgrade your keyless entry system to a better one.

Also, avoid placing your keys in a hot environment like inside the car on a sunny day (I hope you have not been doing this ). [quote]
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by mayor2013: 11:37am On Apr 25, 2016
@ "op" this remote is compatible only with the following cars

Toyota venza, toyota avalon, toyota camry, toyota 4runner, toyota prius. I stand to be corrected though.

1 Like

Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 25, 2016
[quote author=paix post=45024076][/quote]
The price depends on the features the unit has and installation cost.
The most recent one I bought was last year and I installed it myself in a 2007 Toyota corolla. The unit was #3, 500 then. It just unlocks & locks the doors.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 11:44am On Apr 25, 2016
0rex:

You are welcome.

Also, avoid placing your keys in a hot environment like inside the car on a sunny day (I hope you have not been doing this ).
No, the key is always in my pocket when in use. Changing the the keyless entry system, do you have any idea how much it might cost?
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 11:47am On Apr 25, 2016
0rex:

The most recent one I bought was last year and I installed it myself in a 2007 Toyota corolla. The unit was #3, 500 then. It just unlocks & locks the doors.
How then do I start the car since it is keyless?
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 25, 2016
[quote author=paix post=45024076][/quote]

This particular car did not come with central lock. There might be a specific type of unit that works with your car which I assume came with factory central locks. These types of units will be more expensive.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 25, 2016
paix:
How then do I start the car since it is keyless?
No, no. Keyless entry means you can enter the car without having to insert the key into the door to unlock it. You will start the car with your key.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 11:52am On Apr 25, 2016
AutoJoshNG:

Hello Paix,

1) Make sure you buy an original battery.
2) Make sure the remote is not pressed and held down especially when in your pocket.
3) Has any liquid ever spilled on the remote? If yes, the remote may need some internal cleansing.
4) Check the battery connectors or terminals to ensure there is no circuit problem. I suspect Nos 1 and 4, thanks. But what baffles me is, even the spare runs down.

Website: www.autojosh.com, Twitter: @AutoJoshNG, Facebook: autojosh.com
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by AutoJoshNG: 12:01pm On Apr 25, 2016
paix:
No, the key is always in my pocket when in use. Changing the the keyless entry system, do you have any idea how much it might cost?

Hello Paix,

You car is '09 and should have the OEM key.

The cost depends on if the car is for Africa, Europe or America.

Africa has 2 buttons and it costs about N25,000 which includes programming.

Europe has 2 buttons and it costs about N22,000 which includes programming.

America has 3 buttons (includes the trunk release button) and its costs about N25,000 which includes programming.

Website: www.autojosh.com, Twitter: @AutoJoshNG, Facebook: Autojoshng and Instagram: autojoshng
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 12:02pm On Apr 25, 2016
0rex:

This particular car did not come with central lock. There might be a specific type of unit that works with your car which I assume came with factory central locks. These types of units will be more expensive.
OK, thanks.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 12:14pm On Apr 25, 2016
mayor2013:
@ "op" this remote is compatible only with the following cars

Toyota venza, toyota avalon, toyota camry, toyota 4runner, toyota prius. I stand to be corrected though.
Well, I have no idea. The car came with it.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 12:18pm On Apr 25, 2016
sholajigga:
That car needs to be sanctified. Take it to your pastor or Islamic cleric better still babalawo.
Maybe I should just bring it to you for the sanctification, or what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 25, 2016
paix:
Well, I have no idea. The car came with it.
Does your car have a manual window?
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 12:25pm On Apr 25, 2016
0rex:

Does your car have a manual window?
None is manual.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 25, 2016
paix:
None is manual.
Ok.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by baconline(m): 4:52pm On Apr 25, 2016
Nothing wrong with your remote, the smart key system continuously sends out signals whether used or not,if the battery quality is not too good it will be running down in a few months
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by Lexusgs430: 5:00pm On Apr 25, 2016
I have not changed my remote batteries in 2 + years. But my car remote is factory fitted, same has the battery.

1 Like

Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 7:29pm On Apr 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:
I have not changed my remote batteries in 2 + years. But my car remote is factory fitted, same has the battery.
Same goes for my Toyota Avensis 2011, the batteries have never been changed. I just can't figure out the problem with my Corolla.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by paix(m): 7:32pm On Apr 25, 2016
baconline:
Nothing wrong with your remote, the smart key system continuously sends out signals whether used or not,if the battery quality is not too good it will be running down in a few months
Thanks bro, I just can't understand.
Re: Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. by charlsecy(m): 12:04pm On Nov 27, 2019
AutoJoshNG:
...buy an original battery.
Which battery is suitable for Corolla 2007; is it 45aH or 75aH?

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! How Can I Get A Mechanical Expert To Repair My Citroen Car? / Lexus ES 350 Or Toyota Camry Muscle 2011 / Honda Experts Needed Here Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.