Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:12 PM

How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation - Science/Technology (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation (86956 Views)

NigComSat-1, Nigeria's Satellite In The Orbit: What Is The Situation Now? / Anular Eclipse In Nigeria: What's The Situation Report In Your Area?? / HEAVY RAIN DOWNPOUR IN LAGOS: What Is The Situation Of Things In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Certifiedboss: 6:30am On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
In a month I normally use fuel worth N8000 to power my generator anytime there's power outage but since I bought my inverter more than a year ago, I spend averagely N500 per month. Yes..N500 averagely as I could go for 3months sometimes without putting on my gen. This backup system has been very helpful especially now that there is poor mains supply and fuel scarcity with exorbitant price. Those of you complaining of excessing estimated bill, you can get value for the bills you pay if you have a backup system since you'll massively utilize the mains when it is available provided you can have light at least once in two days.
Below is my 1.5kva sine wave inverter and 4batteries system.
Show us pics of your backup system and tell us how much you save from this arrangement per month.

Mods pls move to front page so Nigerians can be aware of alternative cost saving power

Mine is with solar panel . 6panels , 8batteries , 7.5kva inverter and everything cost me 700k. Been using it for about a month now
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bigtt76(f): 6:32am On Apr 25, 2016
Ok great. Thought you said Mercury Inverter is no good undecided

oyb:

in my opinion, your best value for money is a mercury inverter. 2.5kva is 25,000. buy direct from coscharis and you get a 1 year warranty.

its modified sine wave, which means some fans may hum when running . none of the ones in my house do.
i am also recommending it because 25k is far easier to shrug off than 150k.

after you buy your mopower inverter the english will start. oh, it needs a stabilizer; oh you cannot use it with a generator sized less than so and so

nigerians are very lousy where after sales support is concerned.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by 2baga(m): 6:32am On Apr 25, 2016
eleojo23:
Whenever I am ready to build a house, solar-powered inverter system is going to be part of the budget from the onset. I think it is easier to include it in the budget and get it done from the onset than trying to do it later after some years. The cost can be discouraging.

So for me, the house will not be considered complete until the inverter system is up and running.
No time to wait for PHCN.

Even if PHCN improves, the inverter will still be useful because it will save cost on electricity bill.

Guy ya head dey dere, you be correct
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bigtt76(f): 6:39am On Apr 25, 2016
shocked Chai ....but you for ask first or take time read carefully before you post naaaaau undecided see yourself?

An inverter functions by converting Direct Current (DC) to Alternating Current (DC) ...solar panels generate DC and your household appliances are AC.

Even if you were to use only Solar panels that would still require an inverter but then you got limited power supply as the Sun allows. At night you have no power supply except NEPA or PHCN have mercy on you. That is where batteries come to play. It stores the energy from the solar panel during the day and releases it for use at night when the Sun has set.

The more the batteries (depending on how you connect them shaaa and of course the inverter rating) the longer power supply you get

I hope this explains it all.

Sanchase:
Inverter batteries requires charging, how do u charge the batteries with the epileptic power supply in Naija, this is in essence attempting to solve a problem by creating another problem.

The feasible alternative for PHCN seem to be solar energy as its renewable through sunlight, more light should be thrown on the use of solar energy rather than people posting the use of Inverters to make money at the expense of others.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Sanchase: 6:46am On Apr 25, 2016
My sense and yours is incomparable so don't go there. There are so many solar powered energy mechanism, just because you hear about one doesn't mean you know more than others.

mecussey:

Receive sense in Jesus name....how will solar work without inverter?
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by pat077: 6:54am On Apr 25, 2016
Opoki:
I ave a smaller version of inverter for my fone only
pls , i need something like that, how do i get it and what's the cost?
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by TheEvilPriest(m): 6:56am On Apr 25, 2016
Too expensive
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by tunapawizzy: 6:59am On Apr 25, 2016
Interesting
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bodmasfem(m): 7:02am On Apr 25, 2016
with 250k, I can get it for u. The 250k includes the power inverter, 4 industrial batteries and solar panels. u can contact me 07069658875 or 07051529165
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by tipwill(m): 7:33am On Apr 25, 2016
osabuohein:

It doesn't power my pumping machine and pressing iron cos of the high voltage they consume.
High current and not high voltage

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 25, 2016
Mine has been so helpful too. Since i installed it last OCTOBER, i've abandon my generator. It takes more than 24hr on a full charge. I only need 2-3hrs of power from PHCN within 3 or 4 days to charge it. Mind you i stay alone, go to work in morning come back at night. Infact i use it like a normal generator.
I always put it off exactly 10pm and put on a re-chargable Fan althrough the night. I only use it for 12hrs on either saturday or sunday.

My generator is just there can't remember the last time i checked it. Guys, hope the generator won't spoil out of no usage (Just skeptical).

I use a 1.5kva inverter with a single 12V 190ah battery.

GLAD I TOOK THE DECISION. cos now, it cost double the price i purchase it.

Regards.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by AroOkigbo(m): 7:56am On Apr 25, 2016
eleojo23:

Even if PHCN improves, the inverter will still be useful because it will save cost on electricity bill.

Consider the cost of battery and the whole inverter system. ..on average you ain't going to save anything.
Nobody will tell you the truth about the battery which you must change yearly. ..that is if you are lucky and it's not every six months.
Moreover, charging the inverter via NEPA mains isn't for free.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Im2Busy2Bother: 8:00am On Apr 25, 2016
damola1:

I bought a used outback inverter, in fact, I bought 2units...

Hi, how much did you get the used Outback. Thanks
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Boss13: 8:01am On Apr 25, 2016
oyb:
the lies these inverter hustlers tell . .

1) you require power to charge the inverter - at least 16 hours for 8 hours supply.

the inverter is a supplement to power supply. it is NOT a replacement

2) the batteries will last at most 2 years. and that is not guaranteed since there seems to be a repackaged battery racket, or maybe its just the usual low quality for the nigerian market

3) 90% of the inverters sold are piece-of-sheet that fail in under 6 months. after this the looong story with the seller starts.

my advice is to go for a mercury 2.5kva inverter, (modified sine wave) direct from coscharis - it is 22-25K . it is RUGGED. nepa fluctuation, overload, all of that, it will work with those. DO NOT BUY THE PURE SINE WAVE inverter. [a friend bought one and it failed in a week]
all these pure sine wave are chock full of electronics that cannot be properly maintained locally.

batteries [coscharis] are 50k

all these sukam , mopower , luminous etc are overpriced

due to bad advice, i bought luminous batteries December last year at 56k . imagine how pissed i was when i went to coscharis and found their batteries were 48k [at the time] .

a 2.5kva inverter does not need more than 2 12v batteries [preferably 200ah]

you wont even need a rack. just put the batteries on the foam packaging, put the inverter on the batteries and you're good to go. you can opt for rewiring, but you need a COMPETENT ELECTRICIAN if you want to go that route.

a lot of the inverter sellers will cut corners and install the cheapest wiring you can find. i know because i recommended one to a friend some years back. i was so ashamed when i went visiting and saw the rubbish job the guy had done. cables looking as if they would catch fire any minute.

anyway, like i said, go to coscharis VI. they also have a warehouse in computer village.

anyone who tells you you need less than 8 hours to fully charge standard inverter batteries is lying.

You have a point my brother. Battery is key. I am suffering from bad batteries. Though I intend to manage them till it packs up finally. Please don't buy batteries from Alaba even if the supplier gets it directly from manufacturer. As long as it is Alaba, don't buy. In short don't buy inverter from Alaba as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 25, 2016
tipwill:

High current and not high voltage
thanks Mr English.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by AroOkigbo(m): 8:02am On Apr 25, 2016
Certifiedboss:

Mine is with solar panel . 6panels , 8batteries , 7.5kva inverter and everything cost me 700k. Been using it for about a month now
Yeah, sounds so nice.
But wait for about 6 months to max of one year.
After replacing the batteries. ..give us your cost implications.
The only truth inverter users and dealers will hide from you is that about the battery life. It's makes a whole b.ullsh.it on this inverter stuff.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Innomach(m): 8:03am On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
You are right...its best to combine with solar panels and be totally independent from PHCN. Solar panels are not as expensive as before so my plan is to include panels in due time

How much is a panel now, any idea, please?
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by NEROSKY(m): 8:04am On Apr 25, 2016
adanny01:
Below is my small 1.2kv mercury inverter with one 200Ah battery. I get well over 12hrs of back up I cant measure how much it saved me but i can tell you the my wife kissed me and said thank you for this. My neighbours envy me, one is planning for his.

The sweetest fact is that we can sleep through the heat with fan and no noise from generators. Because of the scarcity, neighbours have been spending a lot on fuel to run generators. The last fuel i bought was a 5litre at N200/litre. I didnt use up to 1hr when light was restored and thats over 3weeks ago, the fuel remains unused.

To make the sorry interesting, NEPA started a stupid regime when we have light throughout the day but blackout at night when its required for good night sleep. Guess what, am not bothered as we sleep with fans till when they restore the light.
Thanks for this, how much is it, i plan to buy it for fridge, fan, sound system n tv only... Tho we get 18 hours of light here in Enugu, at times 3 days straight, i just want uninterrupted power
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by adanny01(m): 8:05am On Apr 25, 2016
jeytee:

You and I both know the whole solar panel ish is not so true,fine it works for some but the same time its rubbish for some...inverters no matter powerful need electricity either from Nepa or a gen to charge them plus the battery lifespan is also another issue to consider,I've had numerous battery issues,the latest was when one of them exploded,the inverter is good but lets stop painting it as an alternative to generators or Nepa outrightly

You are just being too negative. Nothing can give any home or industry power cheaper than NEPA. When alternative power is mentioned, it doesnt mean its a complete subtitute. An inverter is called back up electricity, for that reason it is not a back up and not a replacement for NEPA.

If you have a solar system and it doesnt charge well for you, sorry, your solar panels, charge controller, batteries or even the connection could be bad. It doesnt mean that the whole solar ish is bad or rubbish. Those who live in Sokoto and the one who lives in Yenogoa do not have the same amount of sunshine per day, there are bound to be differences. From my knowledge, there are 3types of solar panels and all have different sun harvest capacity. If you buy the cheapest, you dont expect yours to perform magic.

You complain on batteries, did you buy original American batteries and it failed you in 6 months? Why condemn every thing when you didnt buy the best quality.

3 Likes

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by emmykingsok(m): 8:09am On Apr 25, 2016
osabuohein:
I have something similar to yours in my house. Mine has four batteries. It charges when there's power and soon as the power goes off it continues from where it stopped. Though they're some appliances that I didn't include in it. It can power all the lights, fans, electrical appliances and one fridge.

It doesn't power my pumping machine and pressing iron cos of the high voltage they consume. But the larger the battery the more appliances it can accommodate. I'm even planning on installing a solar powered inverter on the roof of my house so I can tap from both worlds (Solar and Electrical) grin. Anyone who's interested in purchasing an inverter, it's advisable to start small. Depending on the number of appliances you have determines how many batteries you should buy. Everything should be around 250 to 300k.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by prof2015(m): 8:09am On Apr 25, 2016
i built my inverter at home and it is what i use and it works better than those you get in the market at 1/3 the cost

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by dozai: 8:10am On Apr 25, 2016
Inverters in d house is a good thing. I was forced to get my 3.5kV a 5years ago and have not changed d batteries since then. though the storage capacity of d batteries have reduced but am still rocking it. Guess what. since PHCN gives my area light at least 2hrs daily. We only use it at nights for the fans bulbs &1 freezer till morning & it will be switched off.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by emmykingsok(m): 8:10am On Apr 25, 2016
[quote author=emmykingsok post=45018057]

Nice one bro...but with 250k an average Nigerian can power his home with full solar installation at least to power ur TV, lights, fans etc. contact Solar affairs
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
There are good battery sellers....if you want I can give you good recommendation

Thanks @ DMerciful,you have got a mail.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by adanny01(m): 8:15am On Apr 25, 2016
NEROSKY:

Thanks for this, how much is it, i plan to buy it for fridge, fan, sound system n tv only... Tho we get 18 hours of light here in Enugu, at times 3 days straight, i just want uninterrupted power

I was given this battery free. But the inverter was the cheapest available at 20k. Now the inverter should be 25k or more.

It is my opinion that you drop the fridge especially as you are planing a small system. A fridge draws about twice its capacity to start, besides, its not a power saving device so you will not have good back up with it. With inverter, the more you spend the more relaible it is.

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by kogistar: 8:16am On Apr 25, 2016
oyb:

by virtue of my work experience, i have worked with multiple variants of these inverters for different facilities [office, . the mopower is no different. the batteries go in two years.

you claim the mercury inverter 'ruined' your batteries and that your batteries were 'restored' by a mopower inverter cheesy cheesy

all you are doing is FUD. in my experience, they are all the same. the diference is that the sellers of mopower, luminous sukam and the likes are way too greedy and desperate to make a killing off nigerians.

all inverters have 'poor charging' . thats why they say get a 'high speed charger' which will charge your batteries faster but will shorten their lifespan.

i bought a i.4 kba sukam inverter some years back. 35k, csh and carry . it blew once. when i got it fixed, a fuse was replaced. this fuse was not locally avaialble, so from then on i was constantly rewiring the inverter. after i got tired of this i switched to another model , a so called pure sine wave that went bad the very day i bought it.

i saw this same sukam at luminous shop for over 150,000 last year. i just shook my head. the greed of nigerians.
can u tel me if thjs battery called TROJAN is good & durable?
Product Description
Model: L16RE-B with Bayonet
Cap
Battery: Flooded/Wet Lead-
Acid Battery
Capacity: 6V 410Ah / 20Hr
Rate
Cyclic Use: 30% DOD - 2750
cycles
Cyclic Use: 50% DOD - 1750
cycles
Dimensions (LxBxH): 295mm
x 178mm x 424mm
Terminal Height: 450mm
Weight: 54kg
Absorption charge :
2.35-2.45V, Float charge:
2.20V, Equalize charge: 2.58V
Color: Maroon (case/cover)
Material: Polypropylene
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 25, 2016
bigtt76:
Why condemn his setup? He's not asked anyone to bring money or has he? Nor has he suggested any vendor. Besides all these, you don't even know his setup arrangement at home. You may own an inverter but have it wrongly connected which has now given you a wrong impression about the whole system. Please let us all learn and do the right thing instead of condemning others.

I never condemned anything,im just saying or rather stating things as they are,inverters are good in areas where there is average power supply to charge it constantly....I've used 2 inverters now,the batteries and setup are ok...im only trying to make understand so as not to over raise peoples expectations from this device,as with all electronic deVices it has its flaws
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 25, 2016
adanny01:

You are just being too negative. Nothing can give any home or industry power cheaper than NEPA. When alternative power is mentioned, it doesnt mean its a complete subtitute. An inverter is called back up electricity, for that reason it is not a back up and not a replacement for NEPA.

If you have a solar system and it doesnt charge well for you, sorry, your solar panels, charge controller, batteries or even the connection could be bad. It doesnt mean that the whole solar ish is bad or rubbish. Those who live in Sokoto and the one who lives in Yenogoa do not have the same amount of sunshine per day, there are bound to be differences. From my knowledge, there are 3types of solar panels and all have different sun harvest capacity. If you buy the cheapest, you dont expect yours to perform magic.

You complain on batteries, did you buy original American batteries and it failed you in 6 months? Why condemn every thing when you didnt buy the best quality.

Bro,believe me I've used 2 inverters now,so I know what im saying...all im saying is that the system still has its faults and its not an all rosy affair when it comes down to maintenance and everyday usage,potential buyers should understand this so as not to have overly gargantuan expectations of this device
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 25, 2016
mark3009:

Your batteries were either poorly maintained due to improper charging or they were nnot good batteries from. Next time try and get good batteries from a reliable source.

I did,the cost of replacing batteries is high,inverters are overrated but useful.Period

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bigtt76(f): 8:33am On Apr 25, 2016
Sure but even with devices that has flaws, it is managed. The generators we use today all have their own flaws but we still use them.

I remember times without number getting my powerpack blown out because my 'I pass your neighbor' gen exhausted its fuel while i was using it with my laptop. I learnt to manage it thereafter.

Same applies with inverters ....what do we do when the power supply from the public mains is non-existent, fuel to run the generators is non-existent .....do we now remain in the dark because the inverters are flawed and cannot be trusted?

Bros, please don't be like the man that is always happy to see others suffer while they enjoy their lives. if I may ask ....what do you use in place of power from public mains?

jeytee:

I never condemned anything,im just saying or rather stating things as they are,inverters are good in areas where there is average power supply to charge it constantly....I've used 2 inverters now,the batteries and setup are ok...im only trying to make understand so as not to over raise peoples expectations from this device,as with all electronic deVices it has its flaws

3 Likes

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by adanny01(m): 8:45am On Apr 25, 2016
jeytee:

Bro,believe me I've used 2 inverters now,so I know what im saying...all im saying is that the system still has its faults and its not an all rosy affair when it comes down to maintenance and everyday usage,potential buyers should understand this so as not to have overly gargantuan expectations of this device

You didnt put it this way. There are alot of fake inverters and batteries out there. Anyone who does not research before buying especially batteries will waste money.

Those who buy battery banks take higher risks as one bad battery will take out the rest. Replacing one failed battery is not adviseable either so they are forced to dump the whole bank.

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by yetseyi(f): 8:48am On Apr 25, 2016
damola1:
It'll be a crime if I don't comment on this topic.

I buy fuel when the light goes critical. like no light for like 3 days... I thank God for them. Oh, also, I had to do a lightening protector, cos, one time last year, thunder struck it out... as I stay at the topmost place around...

But I don't do all this indian or chinko inverter crap. I tried them once, I knew it wasn't for me. From basic knowledge their charging amps are pretty low.... hence it can take them 4x to charge compared to standard inverters like xantrex, tripple lite or outback.

I bought a used outback inverter, in fact, I bought 2units... with 6 200AH batteries...

And it's like magic. We use it all day at work... all day... and it charges at night... or even for a couple of hours... our Gen dey gather dust.. steady...
g

Hello whats the cost implication pls, I kind off did a google search on those names seems they are not in naija.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Extreme Military Technology: Reason We Must Avoid World War III / Lion Killed In Ngala, Borno State After It Killed Some People And Injured Others / This Fish is Able To Kill Snakes & Other Animals While Walking On Land (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.