Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,510 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. (3055 Views)

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering / Within 48 Hours, 43 Nigerians Win Bids For Vehicles Seized By Customs – Official / My Car Has Been Stolen In Maitama Abuja(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by mhizcovy(f): 6:59pm On Apr 24, 2016
hi evryone,i am a bit worried .my brothers travelled from lagos heading to the east this morning.they were intercepted by the custom officials at ore.they found out the insurance paper of the car was not legit,and as such seized the car and asked them to pay 200k.as im writting my brothers are in a hotel right now around ore,ondo state.anyone with similar experience please??and do they really have to pay that amount considering the car was bought in togo and the insurance was done by the guy that cleared the car for him.
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by meezynetwork(m): 10:00pm On Apr 24, 2016
From my own point of view, it can nvr be insurance paper. Maybe it's the case of fake custom paper. Custom has no business with insurance paper.

18 Likes

Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by Fogman(m): 11:29pm On Apr 24, 2016
Customs don't have business with vehicle insurance papers. Most probably, the vehicle custom papers is the issue here.

3 Likes

Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by oblo(m): 12:19am On Apr 25, 2016
Definitely the customs paper...

we need to know exactly what the issue is with the papers. Some time if not in all cases those customs guys also play on the ignorance of car owners as well. For example.. i. was driving one of the cars that I was actively involved in the clearing. That was in 2013.

Fast foward to 2016 when I was driving down to the east I was stopped by customs at Itele along lagos benin express just after ijebuode or so and was told I did not pay complete duty for the car.
The guy opened a customs book with CURRENT rates bla bla bla.. and showed me the supposed amount or percentage I was supposed to pay as against mine.
I was almost fooled until it clicked and I just told him " Oga this moto na since 2013 e enter o no be 2016 or 15 sef." this rate you dey show me na new rate sir"...

The look on his face was like I just spilt his milk(which I did actually) .

I was handed my papers and off I went.

So my point is if I was ignorant or not smart enough I would have had my car "illegally" impounded till I coughed out a hefty sum....so ask your brothers what exactly the issue they were told was the problem with their papers. It can never be insurance. Customs have nothing to do with that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by laivwire(m): 12:48am On Apr 25, 2016
oblo:

we need to know exactly what the issue is with the papers. Some time if not in all cases those customs guys also play on the ignorance of car owners as well. For example.. i. was driving one of the cars that I was actively involved in the clearing. That was in 2013.

Fast foward to 2016 when I was driving down to the east I was stopped by customs at Itele along lagos benin express just after ijebuode or so and was told I did not pay complete duty for the car.
The guy opened a customs book with CURRENT rates bla bla bla.. and showed me the supposed amount or percentage I was supposed to pay as against mine.
I was almost fooled until it clicked and I just told him " Oga this moto na since 2013 e enter o no be 2016 or 15 sef." this rate you dey show me na new rate sir"...

So my point is if I was ignorant or not smart enough I would have had my car "illegally" impounded till I coughed out a hefty sum....so ask your brothers what exactly the issue they were told was the problem with their papers. It can never be insurance. Customs have nothing to do with that.

That dude just defines a very silly crook. Reminds meow an incident about 3 weeks back when I was stopped by an FRSC patrol team. They claimed my licence showed a different car from my truck, a apssat belonging to a woman inAbuja and so my vehicle was to be impounded bla bla. I was like Oga, let me see this gadget you're holding and what its saying only for me to discover he switched one of the first letters.

Im sure my look was indescribable, he smiled sheepishly and handed me my papers.

Crooks!

2 Likes

Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by stchinedu: 5:06am On Apr 25, 2016
Fogman:
Customs don't have business with vehicle insurance papers. Most probably, the vehicle custom papers is the issue here.
Abeg fogman, do you have dvd screen for avalon 2007 model?
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by Fogman(m): 6:22am On Apr 25, 2016
stchinedu:
Abeg fogman, do you have dvd screen for avalon 2007 model?
Please check link below.
https://www.nairaland.com/1522305/car-dvd-navi-system-reverse/83
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by saintjoel(m): 8:31am On Apr 25, 2016
They didn't seize the car because of insurance papers,it was seized because of the custom duty papers.

With influx of smuggled vehicles into Nigeria,some dealers are now even selling with fake duty papers showing they were cleared through TINCAN,the NCS has mandated it's officers along Lagos-Ibadan,Lokoja,Ore-Auchi-Agbo to check all vehicles,registered or not.

The only way it escape is that you make sure you verify your papers before you travel or else you face the risk of impound,please note that according to constitution,custom duty papers expire after seven years but you can only go scot free if they check their database and discover that the duty papers were processed more than seven years ago...
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by saintjoel(m): 8:33am On Apr 25, 2016
oblo:

Oblo,you don relocate to lasgidi,abeg send your mobile number to 080062948193,thanks....

The officer wanted to catch you for short-payment but didn't know how defend himself.....
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by stchinedu: 9:19am On Apr 25, 2016
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by princemillla(m): 11:41am On Apr 25, 2016
saintjoel:
They didn't seize the car because of insurance papers,it was seized because of the custom duty papers.

With influx of smuggled vehicles into Nigeria,some dealers are now even selling with fake duty papers showing they were cleared through TINCAN,the NCS has mandated it's officers along Lagos-Ibadan,Lokoja,Ore-Auchi-Agbo to check all vehicles,registered or not.

The only way it escape is that you make sure you verify your papers before you travel or else you face the risk of impound,please note that according to constitution,custom duty papers expire after seven years but you can only go scot free if they check their database and discover that the duty papers were processed more than seven years ago...

What about 199 model , do one still need to carry the custom paper. What happens to a situation whereby you can't even trace the custom paper (Nigerian used vehicle).

Pls help clarify
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by saintjoel(m): 12:42pm On Apr 25, 2016
princemillla:

What about 199 model , do one still need to carry the custom paper. What happens to a situation whereby you can't even trace the custom paper (Nigerian used vehicle).

Pls help clarify

Sir,even if your vehicle was manufactured in 1905,you'll need custom duty papers as long as it passed through the border or port...

What you'll need if your papers are lost is your C-Number,it's like your unique pin and that's what customs use for verification,two/three vehicles can't share a C-Number unless they came in a container.
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by princemillla(m): 3:47pm On Apr 25, 2016
saintjoel:

Sir,even if your vehicle was manufactured in 1905,you'll need custom duty papers as long as it passed through the border or port...

What you'll need if your papers are lost is your C-Number,it's like your unique pin and that's what customs use for verification,two/three vehicles can't share a C-Number unless they came in a container.

Sir sorry am bothering, how does the c number looks like

Tho I have some sticker on my windscreen with a date and some numbers on it. It reads 18/3/10 followed by numbers. Could that possibly be the c number. I don't wanna fall into trap
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by saintjoel(m): 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2016
princemillla:

Sir sorry am bothering, how does the c number looks like

Tho I have some sticker on my windscreen with a date and some numbers on it. It reads 18/3/10 followed by numbers. Could that possibly be the c number. I don't wanna fall into trap

C-Number is in your SGD,the SGD form shows the details of payment etc...
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by princemillla(m): 5:34pm On Apr 25, 2016
saintjoel:

C-Number is in your SGD,the SGD form shows the details of payment etc...

Thanks for your time, tho I bought the vehicle as Nigeria used and the custom papers wasnt handed to me tho. So, wouldn't know what sgd means.

Appreciate sir, just wish there is an article onbthis
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by oblo(m): 7:03am On Apr 26, 2016
saintjoel:

Oblo,you don relocate to lasgidi,abeg send your mobile number to 080062948193,thanks....

The officer wanted to catch you for short-payment but didn't know how defend himself.....

grin relocate bawo? Tehehehehe. I still dey my east jeje ooo.i only come over to run car clearing and movement when need arises.

How you dey?
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by billyG(m): 12:05am On Apr 28, 2016
saintjoel:

How can i locate my C-NUMBER?
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by saintjoel(m): 4:54am On Apr 28, 2016
billyG:

How can i locate my C-NUMBER?

It's on the top right hand corner of your SGD form....
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by adeleks: 6:18am On Apr 29, 2016
Please, how can one get the custom paper of a Nigerian used vehicle. Custom papers was not handed over during the purchase,after I queried the seller, he said its was cleared with other vehicles in a container. My question is, can the paper be issued again using maybe VIN or some other info. Thanks

Cc: saintjoel
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by saintjoel(m): 7:03am On Apr 29, 2016
adeleks:
Please, how can one get the custom paper of a Nigerian used vehicle. Custom papers was not handed over during the purchase,after I queried the seller, he said its was cleared with other vehicles in a container. My question is, can the paper be issued again using maybe VIN or some other info. Thanks

Cc: saintjoel

Sir,ask him to give you a photocopy of the original documents,at least your car will be indicated in the list,even if four million cars came with a container. Your VIN can't be used to for checks,that's why the "C-NUMBER" was introduced,it's just like a unique pin and it's used to store information about your vehicle's entry into Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by adeleks: 2:59pm On Apr 29, 2016
saintjoel:

Sir,ask him to give you a photocopy of the original documents,at least your car will be indicated in the list,even if four million cars came with a container. Your VIN can't be used to for checks,that's why the "C-NUMBER" was introduced,it's just like a unique pin and it's used to store information about your vehicle's entry into Nigeria....

Thanks bro! Will see to that
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by MrHighSea: 4:24am On Jan 25, 2023
saintjoel:

What of cars imported before the use of c-number?
Re: Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. by computerglobal(m): 5:25am On Jan 25, 2023
For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Papers and Verification

Contact us on 08060365068

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get R134a AC Leak Sealer (picture) / Top 10 Strangest Cars Ever Made / Photos: Cars That Uses Water As Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.