Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,457 members, 7,808,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First (583 Views)

Man Takes His Son To The Hospital In A Wheelbarrow In Imo State (Photos) / 3 Reasons Why Nigerian Ladies Have Belly Fat (Photos) / What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 1:55am On Apr 25, 2016
In the locality where I practice, it is very rare to see a parent (who isn't a health worker) visit the hospital first for any health care need concerning their child. Usually, by the time they do arrive at the hospital, they had gone to either one or two other places for answers, only ever coming to the hospital because the illness had either persisted or gotten worse.

Out of curiosity,when I enquire where they had visited before hand, the most common answer I get is that they had gone to the "chemist", a name popularly referred to untrained road side drug vendors who have mastered the art of peddling drugs. These chemists are also known by other names like pharmacists or doctors by the locals. The popular belief is that anyone who sells drugs should also have an idea of who and what the drugs are for. Sadly, this is hardly ever the case.

The second popular choice is to solicit for the help of "nurses". These are people who over time have garnered some skills while working in health care centers. These set of people are patronized for more invasive forms of treatment like injections and minor surgeries. Their councel are widely trusted and they deliver relatively affordable home care. We usually get most of our oral based referrals from these nurses, with parents having no clear idea of what the diagnosis was or the exact treatment recieved.

Interestingly, this practice is not restricted to any particular social class, rather it cuts across all norms: the poor, rich, educated and non-educated, prompting the pertinent question, why is this so?

The leading reasons offered by parents on why they hardly ever patronize the hospitals first are as follows in no particular order

Protocols: From registration, payment of bills, getting a card, waiting in an over-crowded room for your turn to see the nurse before seeing a doctor. Being sent to the laboratory for tests before the drugs are prescribed and then finally visiting the pharmacy store to purchase said drugs. The protocols listed can take hours, with a not too friendly personnel contributing to a long and stressful day.

High Cost: Visiting the chemists only requires you to buy the drugs with free 'consultation', and for "nurses" paying an extra little token for their services. In the hospitlas however, the bills are a tad bit higher since additional costs of getting a patient's cards, lab tests, time spent and drugs are factored in if seen on an outpatient basis. This increases exponenetially if an admission is needed for proper care. Not many parents can afford this thus they avoid the hospitals until it is too late.

Distance from home and Poor Transport system: I would say that this is the major reason why many parents dont come for follow ups. The transport facilities are uncomfortable and expensive. Those who live in the villages face an additional burden of long distances and poor road network.

Lack of empathy: Parents believe that most doctors lack empathy for their plight. We are judged to be interested in the disease first and person later. This is in sharp contrast to the chemists who rely mostly on empathy to retain their customers. We can improve a Patient's quality of life by reaching out first to their humanity.

Without a doubt, the hospital system and quality of care provided needs to be evaluated to improve health care services delivered to the populace. In addition, the Government can help lighten this burden by providing access to good roads and adequate transport facilities. Until we do this, the poor health seeking behavior of parents towards their child's health needs will persist leading to increased sickness and deaths.

http://www.kiddiesmatters.com/2016/04/why-nigerian-parents-hardly-ever-visit.html?m=1
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by Nobody: 1:59am On Apr 25, 2016
Frontpage bound. One of the best topics I've read here in years.

[EDIT]
In addition there's now a new buffer before considering chemists, it's known as nairaland contributions. A lot of people would prefer to detail their problem on nairaland in order to cut the costs associated with getting a professional diagnosis.
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 2:02am On Apr 25, 2016
charix:

Thank you. Sometimes, we the doctors are part of the problem.
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by Nobody: 2:10am On Apr 25, 2016
DrAda:

Thank you. Sometimes, we the doctors are part of the problem.
Not really. A reasonable patient can't expect a human being to show the same level of empathy to at least 50 unique cases they diagnose daily. Not even parents love twins equally talk less of a non-relative treating your case as more important than everyone else's.
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by Nobody: 2:35am On Apr 25, 2016
High cost. Ever heard of National Health Insurance Scheme NHIS
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 3:06am On Apr 25, 2016
charix:

Not really. A reasonable patient can't expect a human being to show the same level of empathy to at least 50 unique cases they diagnose daily. Not even parents love twins equally talk less of a non-relative treating your case as more important than everyone else's.
I very much doubt you will feel the same way if you were the patient. I believe that any empathy counts. Most times, that is all a patient needs...
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 3:09am On Apr 25, 2016
themall:
High cost. Ever heard of National Health Insurance Scheme NHIS
I don't understand your question. I know NHIS. My entire family is covered by the scheme. But I doubt that many have that privilege or is there something you know that I don't.
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 3:16am On Apr 25, 2016
charix:

[EDIT]
In addition there's now a new buffer before considering chemists, it's known as nairaland contributions. A lot of people would prefer to detail their problem on nairaland in order to cut the costs associated with getting a professional diagnosis.
I noticed this too but you will be amazed at the number of similar sites that are littered across the Internet all serving the sole purpose of trying to come up with solutions to a person's health care needs. It has its uses, at least you get the empathy (sorry for using that word yet again), only that I am not sure it is entirely safe. Well, at least one will be armed with a gamut of colorful differential diagnosis to choose from ranging from spiritual attacks to poisons.

(1) (Reply)

#throwbackthursday: Florence Nightingale / Health Whatsapp Group For Heath Professionals And Non Health Professionals / LUTH Hospital In Total Black Out (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.