Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81877 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Chikky95: 7:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
Good evening house, please I am a llb, BL holder with a pass in mathematics at my WAEC. I just wanted to know if it was really compulsory to have a credit in mathematics before one can be allowed to partake in the ICSAN exams.

Thanks
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by joanana(f): 11:47am On Mar 20, 2018
listaby:

Please can you send to me too? I mean ICSA uk materials. email is listaby@gmail.com Thank you

Click on the link for ICSAN TEXT
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dJZvupDxSQLgI6Q4KV9GeC9AeSczscLQ

Please note that I wrote my last exams in December 2014 and did my induction in April 2015. It's been 3 years and things have changed.

With that said, the link for the ICSAN text books contains UK text books and handouts for Nigerian courses has been converted to text books as at today.

Please read the UK text and answer the questions. Read past questions and read the Nigerian text books and if you can answer all questions in the text books for both UK and Nigeria text books.

You never know where the question will be taken from. Also start preparing for the exams early. If you are writing December diet please please start reading now and if you can attend lectures in centres close to your location.

The truth is nothing good comes easy. If you think you can manage your social life and achieving Grad ICSAN together, good for you. I wrote 6 courses and each course is 20k while lectures then was 20k that 40k for a course and 80k for 2 courses. You don't want to waste your time attending classes and end up failing any of this courses. It's really annoying and time consuming.

My advise is if you can limit your social life until you achieve it. It's not easy at all but if you put all you have in this, I tell you, you will never regret it. It took me 3 years to achieve it.
I took a decision to limit my social life because lectures are Saturdays and Sundays. No time at all for other things except God.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by joanana(f): 1:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
Chikky95:
Good evening house, please I am a llb, BL holder with a pass in mathematics at my WAEC. I just wanted to know if it was really compulsory to have a credit in mathematics before one can be allowed to partake in the ICSAN exams.

Thanks

I dont think so. As a law graduate, you will have to pass 4 courses to be GRADICSAN!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by listaby(f): 3:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Chikky95: 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
joanana:

I dont think so. As a law graduate, you will have to pass 4 courses to be GRADICSAN!

Thank you so much
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Foxie: 10:57am On May 12, 2018
joanana:

Please note that I wrote my last exams in December 2014 and did my induction in April 2015. It's been 3 years and things have changed.

With that said, the link for the ICSAN text books contains UK text books and handouts for Nigerian courses has been converted to text books as at today.

Please read the UK text and answer the questions. Read past questions and read the Nigerian text books and if you can answer all questions in the text books for both UK and Nigeria text books.

You never know where the question will be taken from. Also start preparing for the exams early. If you are writing December diet please please start reading now and if you can attend lectures in centres close to your location.

The truth is nothing good comes easy. If you think you can manage your social life and achieving Grad ICSAN together, good for you. I wrote 6 courses and each course is 20k while lectures then was 20k that 40k for a course and 80k for 2 courses. You don't want to waste your time attending classes and end up failing any of this courses. It's really annoying and time consuming.

My advise is if you can limit your social life until you achieve it. It's not easy at all but if you put all you have in this, I tell you, you will never regret it. It took me 3 years to achieve it.
I took a decision to limit my social life because lectures are Saturdays and Sundays. No time at all for other things except God.

Thank you ma'am for your immense contributions to this educative thread. In regards to lectures, I observed that ICSAN has lecture centres only in Lagos. How about someone like me who isn't resident in Lagos, what would you advise? I'm planning to take Part of Professional 1 (unrelated degrees) in Dec. Diet. Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Foxie: 10:59am On May 12, 2018
Please I need some clarifications, between CIA and ICSAN which is more superior and relevant to an Administrator's career today?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by welzyj2(m): 10:21pm On Jun 08, 2018
Hi...am new to this thread
Hoping to relate and lean from grin[b] Senior Executive Assistant's[/b] cool
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Martino7000: 11:50am On Aug 03, 2018
Good day fellow colleagues
Just came across this section, and must appreciate the brain that brought it to bed. God bless u. @ mypeace.

I can not but to read all the pages from. Beginning to the end. I have learnt alot here and hopefully to make an input going forward. Again, I 'm proud to be here
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 2:20pm On Sep 17, 2018
joanana:

send your mail address i will send soft copies of the materials.
Thanks
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ngosi: 6:48am On Oct 03, 2018
blezzing2012@gmail.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Juleh01: 9:59am On Nov 03, 2018
wow
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Juleh01: 10:02am On Nov 03, 2018
joanana:

send your mail address i will send soft copies of the materials.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Chikky95: 11:04pm On Mar 04, 2019
Good evening house, it's a pleasure to be here. Please I would be writing the ICSAN June diet and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with materials. My email address is ejimoforchika@gmail.com.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by esthugoji2: 9:17am On Mar 12, 2019
Good morning house. Nice to be here. I will be writing ICSAN June diet, please can any one help me with reading materials on financial accounting. My email address is esthugoji2@gmail.com
Thank you and God bless you
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by welzyj2(m): 10:39am On Apr 02, 2019
4llerbuntu:

Please can I get soft copies of the ICSAN materials?

can you assist me with the materials please...ifeoluwaolatokunbo2@gmail.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:38am On Apr 02, 2019
welzyj2:

can you assist me with the materials please...ifeoluwaolatokunbo2@gmail.com

it was never sent to me by the poster
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by welzyj2(m): 12:39pm On Apr 02, 2019
4llerbuntu:

it was never sent to me by the poster

thanks for your response
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by welzyj2(m): 1:41pm On Apr 02, 2019
joanana:

the google drive link is still very much fine
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MoreMore: 2:06pm On Jan 21, 2020
Please does anyone know where one can take ICSA UK lectures in Lagos? Not the Nigerian version, the UK version. Lectures for the International Financial Accounting Info. is anyone interested in the online lectures and we can buy from the UK distance learning tuition providers and we share the costs. It is very expensive.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Faithhill2: 2:35pm On Feb 24, 2020
This is very nice. Thank you for the advice. I've always loved the job of a P.A just that it's been difficult to come by. May God help us all.
MyPeace:
Secretaries/Personal Assistants In The House - Our Forum

I work as a Personal Assistant to the CEO of my company. I quite know that CONFIDENTIALITY is one of the challenges in Secretarial and Office professional careers. I feel i should share this GOLDEN RULE OF CONFIDENTIALITY to my colleagues. I will also like us to make this a forum for Secretaries/PA, where we ask questions on the challenges of the job and get help from the more experienced ones.

Confidentiality Maintenance

Prying questions from employees. Immediately start communicating your rules regarding confidential information. “When people ask about my boss’ travel schedule or things I don’t feel are appropriate for them to know, I ask them ‘Why do you ask?’” “This politely diffuses them and allows them to think about their need to know. Maybe there is a legitimate reason, which you both can then determine.”

I have always believed the reply “I don’t know” reflects poorly on your professional status because you’re implying you do not have a position of confidence, and this diminishes you. Besides, is anyone really fooled? The questioner knows you know the information, and you know he knows that you know. Burdening yourself with a lie sends the wrong message also—namely, that you will lie under some circumstances. Suddenly, your integrity seems negotiable.

You can, instead, establish the reputation of saying “no” politely, firmly, professionally and consistently. A reliable response is always: “I hope you can understand I’m not able to share any information about that.” If they still persist, try this show-stopper: “Please don’t take this personally, but as a professional, I can’t tell you that.” Most of the time, they will know better than to pursue the issue. Granted, you will always run the risk of some people feeling you are a bit standoffish; but you will have earned their respect and trust.

Securing your work station. “Take a good look at the physical area of responsibility (your office) and rearrange your furniture so you have visual and verbal control of the traffic flow. Because you are the gatekeeper; it is appropriate your desk or office be positioned in such a way that you can control who has access to your boss. You also will be able to minimize needless interruptions because you can handle many matters on your own.

Protecting written documents. “Don’t lead others into temptation” is your best guide to protecting written documents. It’s only natural for people to be tempted to at least glace at papers if you leave them in plain view. Your job is to protect the value of all information in your office.

A few suggestions:

Keep your desk clear of any papers you consider confidential. Flip your papers over even if you are just leaving your desk for coffee. Remember, snoops and thieves can be clever and persistent.

If you’re going to be away from your desk even for a short time, be sure all important documents are either placed inside your desk or locked in a file cabinet.

If you’re working on a confidential document that requires you to have a lot of sensitive materials on your desk for several hours at a time, you can avoid any curious traffic around your desk by scheduling to work on the project during off-peak times, or by setting up camp at another work station.

Always clear your desk before you leave at the end of the day and lock up anything you don’t want others to see. This includes check/deposit books, plans, schedules, correspondence, and even your manual note-taking books. It is always prudent to err on the safe side.

Neutralize or sanitize documents when you remove them from your office. Conceal them inside a folder or envelope, even if you are just hand delivering them to someone on the next floor. Someone standing behind you in the elevator may be able to see just enough to get the rumor mill cranked up.

If you carry confidential documents to and from work, or on business trips, keep them in a locked briefcase; and, never leave the briefcase unattended in public places.

Again, when attending meetings or conferences, don’t leave papers exposed where people nearby can see them. Make sure they are face down or in a protective folder.

When mailing confidential documents, seal them in an envelope marked “confidential.” Then, seal that envelope inside another envelope and mark that “confidential,” too.

Shred confidential documents, rough drafts, photocopies, and notes. Never dispose of these papers in a wastebasket or recycling box from which they can be recovered by the curious or dishonest.

Protecting electronic documents. Deleted files can be recovered, network security is never perfect, and automatic backups may put a complete copy of your work for the day within easy reach of the wrong people. To avoid getting the “byte” put on you, learn the security limitations of your system.

A few suggestions:

Position your terminal screen in a way that prevents anyone from reading it. Be prepared for a quick sign-off, or use a hot key to engage your screen saver if potentially prying eyes approach your desk.

Know the limitations of your system. The computer is just another tool, not a black box that assures secrecy. Lean who in your company knows how to use your computer better than you do and use them as a resource. It is your responsibility to understand the realistic limitations of your system.

Develop a sound system of backing up and archiving files, and then stick with it. You may be your own worst enemy if you do not follow consistent procedures. You should be able to retrieve important files quickly, ensure they will be safe, and remove files you no longer want in ways that render them unrecoverable.

Store floppy disks in a locked area.

Use a password sign-on procedure to prevent anyone from accessing your hard drive without your permission. This is not unbeatable, but it slows down the casual interloper. Best system: use two passwords known only to you and your boss.

Sign off whenever you leave your terminal if working on confidential information—even if for just a short break.

Remove your printouts as quickly as possible from the printer.

Put your original program disks under lock and key. Remember, these are rarely used after the software is loaded onto your hard drive; so they may be borrowed and you wouldn’t miss them for months.

A few other security risks. Don’t ever send anything confidential via the fax machine. Send the document by courier or overnight delivery if you have to or, if you absolutely must transmit something confidential on the fax, call ahead to let the receiver know the exact moment to retrieve it. Even though reading someone else’s fax is like reading someone else’s mail, not everyone treats faxes with this same respect.

Never leave a confidential (or serious personal) message on voice mail, because it won’t be confidential. Anyone can access one’s voicemail in a minute and the results could be devastating. Likewise, don’t say anything confidential on a cellular phone or speaker phone. Most cellular phones can be easily pirated. And, although a speaker phone may be convenient, it can also compromise privacy.

Follow the Golden Rule

That protecting confidentiality is on the short list of professional job skills presumed to be simply understood by bosses everywhere is a compliment to our profession. Our bosses assume we will always recognize confidential information whenever we see it, and then take whatever action is appropriate to protect it.

Because the confidentiality aspect of the job of the administrative professional defies prediction and standardization, it would be prudent to always adhere to my Golden Rule of Confidentiality: Unless otherwise instructed by your boss, treat all information received, written or spoken, as strictly confidential. You will never regret it.

Because you are a professional committed to upholding high standards of behavior, your company’s security will always be a part of your job description. But, it’s an ongoing challenge because you will be relied upon more than ever to “bar the door” against all types of threats to compromise the company’s information and property. It isn’t simple anymore, either—it requires technical expertise and a lot of psychological moxie. The challenge is to do your job with a healthy skepticism of others, while still expecting others to trust you.

Good Luck!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Opewande: 8:27am On Nov 26, 2022
I only heard about ICSAN yesterday and I am very much interested in learning more about the career prospects of this course. I studied Economics and I am at a stage where I am trying to make a switch from teaching.

Do I need relevant work experience? Please give examples.
How many years will it take to finish the course?

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.