Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,485 members, 7,801,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81822 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2007
Anyway, you have said it all, Shes the "office wife". so theres nothing or much you can do. But if she has a separate office and you have urs, your office should be closer to your boss, to collect and do his jobs, or does the man handover d jobs to her.

However, knowing the situation, just be the best you can be on your job, and leave the rest to nemesis. l believe one day, her cup will be full. And pls avoid any confrontation with her, maybe the way she said you look at her. Just behave as if nothing is happening, l believe one day she will come back to her senses or another MISTRESS will replace her.

dont try to report her to your boss, you will surely not win the case!!

Make urself happy in your job, the only thing you owe urslef in this world is ur HAPPINESS!!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by slitty: 4:38pm On Oct 15, 2007
thank you very much, that is what i have resolved to do, it just bother me that CEO does not see anything wrong in it. she told the receptionist to pass any mail that comes in to her office (including employees private mail). her office is far my mine but she comes in at anytime she likes
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Aladunni(f): 4:28pm On Oct 17, 2007
@slitty

Iparochial view think you need a change of job. Sometimes the fulfillment you get in a job is as much a motivation as the conditions attached to the job. The money may be appealing but if there is someone out there ready to turn you nuts with a selfish lifestyle then you get out before they throw you out. Oneday you will try to define your status in that office and that is when "mistress" will effect your termination as quickly as possible. I know you are a good stuff, please just be on the lookout for something more peaceful.
The other way is to be patient as MyPeace advised, perseverance is necessary atimes to learn the silent lessons that God desires of you in a particular spot he has placed you for a reason you will understand the day you get there.
Take care baby girl
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 8:14am On Oct 18, 2007
Well Mypeace has addressed the situation firmly. But i also believe you have a part to play in this issue. You have to do everything possible in the area of your job to get your boss believing in your capabilities and your job knowledge. Your boss would only give someone else your job when he realise you are not competent to the task at hand. You further need to ask your boss to do an appraisal for you so you can improve on your skills.

As for the other lady, you do not have any business with her. You just have to keep your head high and let her realise you are in charge and on top of your game in the office. You have to win your colleagues confidence and also be friends with the receptionist so that you can get first hand information as regards corresponses for your boss.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 8:31am On Oct 18, 2007
wow, i think is time we all get to arrange a formal meeting where we all get to meet and appreciate ourselves. I really wish i could get details of everyone if they have yahoo ID. Mine is tfunbi2001@yahoo.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by slitty: 9:07am On Oct 18, 2007
@ aladunni

thank you very much for that wonderful piece, actually i am on the watch out for another job [sup][/sup]incase you see one please contact me. slittiey@yahoo.com.

@ all. you guys have been wonderfull thankyou, but i am not allowing to affect my relationships with other coworkers,infact i have joined one of our producing team (trying build my career in another direction)
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 10:24am On Oct 18, 2007
mine is zanuka@gmail.com
This is real good thread
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:33am On Oct 18, 2007
hi guys,

l love all ur contributions. l hope Slitty will select the best phrases and sentences from each of the advices.

my addy is ask4angel06@yahoo.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by loretta(f): 1:48pm On Oct 19, 2007
Hello People, this topic is an interesting one. I work as P.A to an Executive Director{ an Indian Firm}. My boss is the Nigerian representative and also one of the Directors.

My question is as a Secretary if you are ask what are your Major Achievements for the last 12months. Please I need your response .
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:12pm On Oct 19, 2007
What are your job functions where u work now? What impact hv u made in ur coy by ur performance? What new thing(s) have u introduced?

my achievement will be different from urs, because our job functions differ.

think and list them down.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Aladunni(f): 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2007
MyPeace:

What are your job functions where u work now? What impact hv u made in your coy by your performance? What new thing(s) have u introduced?

Reasonable
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 8:05am On Oct 22, 2007
@MyPeace very interesting to here that the forum had made someone to be glad. My kudos to you. Tnks very much keep the fire burning.

@Ojurere you just speak mind. well done.

To all I think its the right time for us to find a means of meeting face to face. What do you suggest?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 9:06am On Oct 22, 2007
Hello everyone,

Warm greetings to everyone who has kept the fire of this thread/forum burning. I hope our positive impact on one another yield great benefits in the nearest future.

Cheers!!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 12:26pm On Oct 22, 2007
Loretta,

It is very nice to hear from you. Mypeace has been able to give you an insight to your question, but i would also like you to appraise your selkf before the company would do theirs, because if you have advanced on your job you would know and if you need to improve on what you are doing now, you would also know.

The only way you can measure your success is to check your PERFORMANCE INDICES, and check if you were able to meet it or exceed their expectations about you.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2007
Hello Everyone, your contributions are very great!

@Slitty, I can imagine what you are going through. If I really understood the gist, there is little or nothing you can do about the situation because if you tend to prove wise to the 'Boss Lady', she will definitely robe you into something. Ofcourse, your Boss will definitely side her, they can destroy your career. So my dear, as others have rightly said; just mind your own job. Make sure you discharge your duties effectively and deligently, avoid the Lady as much as you can. Possibly, your Boss is aware of her domineering attitude and would want to know how diplomatic you will be in handling the situation. Just be careful, do your best while you look out for somewhere better, job satisfaction is necessary to guard against psychological imbalance. I wish you well.

@loretta, Your question is a personal thing, Mypeace has just given you an insight. Your achievements depends on your Job Description; were you able to meet the expected goals as related to your job? Did you meet the targets set for you by the Company? Did you make some innovations or positive contributions using your initiative? All these are achievements, so check your job and your roles in the office, you will surely get the answers you need. Goodluck.

@Ojurere, nice idea. My add is on the previous page.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2007
Teena,

Thank you for the support. I have noticed we all have something in common if not a P.A then we are either a Secretary. Nevertheless whatever position we are , we need to communicate daily if not on a monthly basis.

We need to think of ways we can move ourselves forward on the job, and also how we can benefit from each others skill.

I have been communicating daily via  yahoo messenger with mypeace and some other professionals. It has really aided my performance, i can ask questions that would make me perform better and faster on the job.

I look forward to having more people participate.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by loretta(f): 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2007
Thanks Mypeace and Ojurere. Let me also tell you that my boss is also the Company's Lawyer.

1. I act as his Account Officer b/cos I managed all his account in various banks. Also his Stocks/Shares, typing of his legal document.

2. For the company we both work for, normally I do all the correspondeces, organizing/attending of Media Luncheon, Press conferences and also attending business meeting on his behalf.

3. I also travel to Abuja for business meetings on his behalf.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 6:37am On Oct 24, 2007
Loretta,

I think from these your explanations you can actually know if you have added value to your boss or not. You have listed some of your core duties, and i strongly believe you can evaluate yourself even before any do that for you.

Be very sincere with yourself and score yourself in those areas you feel you have done very well, and also get to improve on your weaker duties.

Look forward to hearing again from you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:49am On Oct 25, 2007
hi Loretta,

lt depends on who is asking you this question, if you sure do all these, it will be wrong of your boss to be asking u such a question.

On the otherhand, if its the HRM, or another snr Staff asking you this, then its seems to me that there assumption might be what am thinking.

Dont you think you are concentrating on your boss's PERSONAL work at the detriment of your OFFICIAL work?
The only duty l could deduce from your job functions is handling corespondences.  organising/Attending conference and traveling to Abuja is not an everyday job.  lt simple means you are working PERSONALLY for your boss as an Account Officer, which l think will be detrimental to your career in that company.

hope am not too harsh with my judgement[color=#000099][/color][sub][/sub] ooo tongue tongue tongue
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 6:05pm On Oct 25, 2007
@Loretta,

I believe with what MyPeace said. It is now left for you to examin yourself, if what she said is true pls there is a need for change as it might be affecting your job performance one way or other while you may not notice it, because after seeing your responsibilities, I wonder why you will be ask such question it means that something is wrong someway.

To all this my ID chinwembaeto@yahoo.com.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Bolubunmi(f): 2:47pm On Oct 30, 2007
I am so impressed with this your innovation. It was high time we had a thread dealing with this our peculiar profession. I am a Confidential Secretary/Personal Assistant in a Government establishment too. I have been on this job close to three decades and from time to time I'll be glad to make useful contributions too.

As a challenging job, and coupled with the ever changing corporate environment, one cannot afford to be left behind in the scheme of things. Moreso, when it has to do with ever dynamic office automation and ICT. There is an urgent need for our different organisations to invest in the training and re-training of Secretaries/PAs. This will put them in a vantage position to meet these contemprary chanllenges.

We are a necessary tool in the overall realisation of any organisational objective. It is an enviable profession.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2007
Thank you so much Bolubunmi, It is really nice hearing from you. I want to believe this is your first time in this room. On behalf of everyone in this forum we welcome you.

As per the training and re-training of PA's / Secretaries, organisations that are forward looking engage in such because that is the only way up for their personnel. It would bring about a total change and add to the effectiveness and efficiency of the staff. Also PA's and Secretarie should not necessarily wait for their organisation to train them, they can be involve in personal development programme in other to acquire new skill required for the job.We look forward to hearing from you.

Please if you don't mind you could as well include you e-mail address.

Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:00pm On Oct 30, 2007
Bunmi welcome to the forum

Ojuere has done justice to ur post. Sec/PAs shd not underdetermine Personal Development Program. You know where you are lagging behind, dont fail to sharpen ur skills in those areas. Organisational trainings are good, but most times they dont come when u most need them and in the areas u need them.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Bolubunmi(f): 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for the warm welcome by u all. My email address is akb1@yahoo.com. You can chat me up anytime u feel like it.  We sure have a lot of experiences to swap.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 8:04am On Oct 31, 2007
Bunmi you are welcome to the forum. Your post is a very nice one but just as Mypeace and Ojurere said, Sec/PA should not wait only for the organization to train them, one has to take up personal program once the person notice his/her weakness. Looking up for more contribution from you. once more welcome.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2007
@Bolubunmi, Welcome and have fun.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Jummy4real(f): 4:32pm On Nov 07, 2007
@mypeace, @teena

Thanks for your contribution.  Keep up the good work.  Hope to contribute later.  I have a lot to do for now.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by slitty: 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2007
hi everyone, i hope i didn't miss too much, i been quite busy.
bolubunmi you are very much welcome.
will probably have some contributions to make another time.

i'll just say keep up the good work
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:32pm On Nov 12, 2007
Hi everyone. tongue
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 3:28pm On Nov 14, 2007
I hope you all are enjoying your jobs?

Let's keep moving.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 10:47am On Nov 16, 2007
HI PA/SEC
HOW IS WORK TODAY? AM PLANNING FOR MY WEDDING BUT DOENT HAVE MONEY TO CONTACT ANY
WEDDING PLANNER I WANT TO KNOW WHICH COLUR SHADES I CAN CHOOSE FOR MY HUSBAND SIDE
AND MY FAMILY SIDE THEN THE COLOUR FOR THE CAKE AND THE BRIDAL TRAIN
PLS THOSE THAT HAVE PASSED THRU THESE SHOULD HELP OUT

THANKS
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 10:59am On Nov 21, 2007
Hello Chy, Am so happy to read that your wedding is coming up soon. I wish you God's guardance and guidance as you plan for it and especially His divine wisdom to make perfect decisions.

I have not passed through this, but for wedding I love such colours as cream combined with pink, sea-green or wine. What about something like yellow clothes, with blue gele and accessories for your own friends? Just my 2 cent though. I know our young 'Iyawos' will respond soonest because I want to learn too.

Above all, I WISH YOU WELL and pls keep us posted.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Reply)

Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.