Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? (4664 Views)

Job Opportunity / Placement For Nigerian Graduates / Nigerian Graduates And Their Terrible CV Presentation! (CV attached) / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by kvolander: 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2009
Hi guys, for those of you presently in the UK, I need your advice concerning an issue here.

I finished from the UK few months back but came back to Nigeria thinking something good would come up. Unfortunately, not even one interview has come up despite the fact that I 've dropped my CV countless times in so many companies.I've lost count of the number of companies I dropped my CV.

The new development right now is that I just got the 2years post study work visa and so will like to hear from you guys if it's advisable to come over to the UK. What's the UK like now? Things weren't so good when I left few months back.
I'm really tired of staying at home or moving the streets of lagos for jobs. I even tried an NGO to work for free but I was surprised nothing came up. ( I wonder if they're been affected by the crunch).
SO, MY FELLOW UK Grads, WHAT DO YOU ADVISE? SHOULD I GO BACK TO THE UK or REMAIN HERE IN NAIJA?

Thanks in anticipation for your candid advice.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by Rebarobyn: 8:03pm On Aug 08, 2009
firstly, what did you study and what were your grades like? maybe that's one reason why you've not been shortlisted or are you being picky with the organizations you apply to? when did you start applying for jobs? it takes a while to shortlist at times and it may help having insiders in the organizations to keep you posted.

You need to also understand that because of the economic problems, most organizations all around the world have put recruiting on hold in order to cut expenses so I can assure you that you'll probably face the same problem in the UK.

I think the question you should be asking yourself is where you want to be on the long run. If you want to be in Nigeria, I think its worth the wait, I believe the embargo on employment by organizations will be lifted soon, you should be on your toes checking job ads especially in the guardian newspapers and job blogs. I don't think the job situation is any better in the UK right now.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by kvolander: 8:21pm On Aug 08, 2009
Thanks Rebarobyn

As for my results, I have very good results in both degrees (i.e. BEng and MSc) so it's definitely not because of that.

To make things clearier, would it be better to go to the UK and find something to do (no matter how small) in the meantime OR keep waiting here in Nigeria for something to show up?

I asked because I have no idea how easy it is to get the small jobs over there but as at when i was there, it wasn't that bad getting those kind of jobs.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by fredrick3: 8:31pm On Aug 08, 2009
hi ,the best i would suggest for you is GO BACK TO UR UK because it will be easier for you to get anything you want im uk compare to 9ja .me self wen graj since 2004 neva get anything.

FRED
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by SUKKIE(m): 10:14pm On Aug 08, 2009
@ Kvo

Brov,it's quite laudable for u to ve gotten the post-study visa for contigency plans. However, I will urge u to intensify ur search a little more.Afterwards,u could give urslf a time-lag vis - a- vis ur visa expiry date.There are loads of people coming for their masters right abt now,in essence there are few vacant slots at this time of the year.Heaven knows u could nick a decent job pretty soon.

Mos def the recession thingy has reached itz rock-bottom but we are still a thousand miles away from what it was. I'm sure u ve heard abt the slogan "British jobs for British people" that seems to be there recruitment emblem here o. I only wanna stack up little experience with my present job n take it from there, viable firms in njar will pay u good money. Some of my men are urging me to double-up.That said, do u know dat ur post- study is nt renewable, u ve 2 ARRANGE urslef ASAP b4 it expires.By and large, the onus falls on u to do what is best for u,people are fading from here each day.I beg search thoroughly but no let dat visa expire thou.Njar go pay u in d long run.Pray hard,call relatives in strategic places ,spread ur tentaclez n mingle with ur men,u go dey alrite brov. Eazy !
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by kvolander: 10:36pm On Aug 08, 2009
Thanks SUKKIE

Wow, but my guy, Naija hard o.Everywhere is just still here.

Please, more advice from you guys.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by Tonex(m): 7:27pm On Aug 09, 2009
After coming to the UK, we have all discovered that it is not the 'promised land' as we all thought. The british jobs for british workers policy and the recession does not help matters. I am not saying naija is not tough, but at least when it will click, it will click. Weigh your options carefully and make the best choice.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by Trbrown: 10:22pm On Aug 09, 2009
@kvolander I think everybody has spoken well der is nothing more to add. The truth is we r at the point wer we need to pray constantly for favour whereva u r Gods favour can locate u. Bn in d uk at this point in time can be really frustrating but Gods grace is sufficient like i said its all about his favour whereeva u r it will locate u. But weigh ur options gv ursef a little time in naija then u can decide nt to let ur post study waste good enuf u can still apply for uk jobs frm naija since u hv ur post study.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by axeman85(m): 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2009
@poster

what i normally advice is that u try and find people u kow that are in high positions or top management positions in naija that can be of help and apart from that its always best to get a job from uk before going.

in a few months time approximately by this time next year i will be same as u as i intend on going bk to naija after my studies here in uk and i have already started callling those i know that are in top positions in some banks in naija and hoprefully wen time reach it wont be difficult for me.

i have been working in uk right from my college days and in the last 3yrs i have been fortunate to have worked in a financial solutions coy and currently working in a bank as well as schooling as well. so i believe all these wth my pali will help me well. but we never hope i hope it works well for me sha.

even if u come back to uk, job hard to find my broda. its not as easy wth redundancies everywhere and even the oyibos sef no get work. so i just advice keep enduring even thous its not easy because evryday u spend money and nothing is coming in.

think well sha.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by axeman85(m): 10:26pm On Aug 09, 2009
also to add if while u decide to come back to uk and one of the company u have applied to calls u up to show face and u r in uk already nko. what will u do den ?

jst a thought that crossed my mind.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by Eggyloo: 3:29pm On Aug 10, 2009
@ poster: all comments and advice u need has been said. They sound like words from the elders. Someone once told me dat b4 things get to its turning point to change for the better, it actually gets too bad & looks as if there's no hope left.
In these present times, u need to keep be strong and never be discouraged; even thou there might be discouragement.
To me, i believe in sourcing for jobs in Naija. The final decision is urs.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by babalawo(m): 4:18pm On Aug 10, 2009
@ Poster
hum bros Ure not alone but I believe if U persist there will be a way out

I just came back from Europe too after my MSc like 2 months ago but, I have taken three different interviews and still proceding,

So never think Ure alone and never think its not possible!!!

I know ur fears of returning back to the Uk ,I have them also but where is they faith push harder okay?

and then do u have any prior experience b4 ?

all the best man.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by howfar2: 9:12pm On Aug 10, 2009
@ Poster

I think the best advice i will give you is to stay here. Have you searched yourself to see why you have not been called? How catching is your resume? I came back to Nigeria 4 months ago to see how things will go here, and right now i have secured a job in Nigeria and will soon mail my employers in the UK to inform them about extending my zero pay work, but i know i will never return there to continue my job.

It is better you stay here and not just waste your time in the UK. cheers
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by lelele: 11:50pm On Aug 11, 2009
@Post
nothing is hapenin in d uk at d moment, bt startin frm next month we hope dat most comps will start recruitin for 2010, bt i think u also kno dat u dnt particularly nid 2 com ova 4 dat, do it online.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by kvolander: 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2009
But guys,is it not better to do jamman jamman job over there in the UK until something good comes than to keep staying here in Nigeria redundant?

That's what I'm just thinking,

Frustration wan kill man for here o.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by joxiri: 12:06am On Aug 16, 2009
kvolander
I am also going to take the post study work visa whilst i search for a job
at the end of the day you are entitled to the visa after all the thousands of pounds you spent on tution fees come back to the uk search for a job while doing jammer jammer job and save after 2 yrs no luck you go home
And i suppose you could do something with your savings cos I am sure you must be really frustrated in nigeria cos you cant do a similar jammer jammer jonb there
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by isibobo: 10:48am On Aug 16, 2009
U STILL DEY ASK javascript:void(0);

U BETA RUN COMOT FROM THIS HELL FIRE
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by banks44(m): 2:35pm On Aug 17, 2009
Whats up brother, i can feel your frustration, but i want you to listen to me carefully as i am in the same shoes as you are. I am Nigerian and i am curently in the UK on a Post-Study Work Visa since November 2008. I finished my Masters degree in Oct 2008 (with Distiction) here in England and i can proudly tell you that i have not got a job yet. I still work the low-skilled job i've been holding since i was a student, in fact getting another low-skilled job is almost as difficult as getting a skilled one at the moment as i lost some hours to budget cuts where i work and i'm trying to find another one but not yet successful. Anyway, I have made over 50 applications for graduate-level skilled jobs since i finished my studies in Oct 08 and have only managed to secure about 5 interviews and all were not successful. But i was able to secure a volunteer role (unpaid) with a reputable UK organisation in March 09 where i have been working since while maintaining my low-skilled job to pay my bills. Its a scary situation bro, my 2years is fast running out and i cannot get a skilled job that will pay me the minimum required amount of salary that will enable me to switch to the skilled worker category (Tier 2 (General) visa) which is £20,000 per annum minimum salary. The UK government has raised the bars so high now that only a tiny fraction of immigrants can pass through. Well i try not to bother about that and try to just get a job and hopefully move from one job to the other within the 2yrs to get to my target salary, but bro all that plan is falling apart right now. There are no jobs here for immigrants, full stop. The "British Jobs for British Workers" policy and the recession has proven to be a toxic mix for me and people like me. With a Distiction level Masters degree from a reputable UK University College, i still cant secure a decent job, what else will, Think carefully before you take that step man.
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by joxiri: 4:06pm On Aug 17, 2009
@ banks 44 at the end of your 2 years you will go back home to nigeria knowing you tried at least wont you
so poster at least if you give your post study a try and if you dont get a ob you go back 2 years is not a longer time
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by kvolander: 10:17pm On Aug 19, 2009
banks44:

Whats up brother, i can feel your frustration, but i want you to listen to me carefully as i am in the same shoes as you are. I am Nigerian and i am curently in the UK on a Post-Study Work Visa since November 2008. I finished my Masters degree in Oct 2008 (with Distiction) here in England and i can proudly tell you that i have not got a job yet. I still work the low-skilled job i've been holding since i was a student, in fact getting another low-skilled job is almost as difficult as getting a skilled one at the moment as i lost some hours to budget cuts where i work and i'm trying to find another one but not yet successful. Anyway, I have made over 50 applications for graduate-level skilled jobs since i finished my studies in Oct 08 and have only managed to secure about 5 interviews and all were not successful. But i was able to secure a volunteer role (unpaid) with a reputable UK organisation in March 09 where i have been working since while maintaining my low-skilled job to pay my bills. Its a scary situation bro, my 2years is fast running out and i cannot get a skilled job that will pay me the minimum required amount of salary that will enable me to switch to the skilled worker category (Tier 2 (General) visa) which is £20,000 per annum minimum salary. The UK government has raised the bars so high now that only a tiny fraction of immigrants can pass through. Well i try not to bother about that and try to just get a job and hopefully move from one job to the other within the 2yrs to get to my target salary, but bro all that plan is falling apart right now. There are no jobs here for immigrants, full stop. The "British Jobs for British Workers" policy and the recession has proven to be a toxic mix for me and people like me. With a Distiction level Masters degree from a reputable UK University College, i still cant secure a decent job, what else will, Think carefully before you take that step man.

Men, I'm so scared now, and i don book ticket already o,
Omo,God dey sha
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by chidson: 3:50am On Aug 20, 2009
thank you all for all that contribution to him but it is only a state of the mind if u believe u can get a job here it is easy and in the uk it the same. the issue is what is your mind set and believe. if u write off the issue of getting job here what about those that study here u mean no hope for them, brother not so things still happen amidst all that saying just know wath u need and go for it.with God it will only turn to testimony
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by alamsdee: 4:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
o boy. let no one mislead you. Na God u need make him direct u. I was facing a similar dilema, but now i thank God for my position now. Before na me dey chase agency for interview slots, now i dey decline job offers. Just pray and focus on God. UK is tough now but God by ur side u go conquer
Re: Nigerian Graduates In The Uk:pls,i Need Your Advice -should I Go Back To The Uk? by impish: 8:07am On Aug 25, 2009
Ok, to add my testimony to what this guy just said, yup, thats how it is here. Had a first in my undergrad, am in one of the best 3 unis here in the uk doin a masters and I attended enuf assessment centres this year, forget! I reached the final stage in all of them. Im talking about ten companies o! Had to travel far and wide to attend these interviews and assessment centres. I was rejected at the final stage of all! It is really bad, it got to a stage where I wud look at the other candidates with me, and once I was the only foreigner thru to the last stage, I wud just know there n then I wasnt goin to get it. Its a new policy. Unspoken, yet there. Actually, one of them even told me to my face that except i had qualifications which no uk citizen hired, I wudnt make it thru. Pls, wot qualifications cud I possibly hav had that no1 else had My own beef with them is, why even put me thru 3 or 4 stages, wen u no u wont hire me wen it comes down to it?

Im not even botherin to apply for the post-study work visa. I am packin my bags very soon and running. Unskilled work is not for me at all. Tutoring, maybe, but mehn, with all Ive done, I wont let any country come and kill my morale. lol! I dont believe the Uk is the "promised land", I luv Naija and I dont mind living there at all. Ive been jokin with my sis that wen we were young, they told us that if u did well in scl, u wud get a job, well, I did, n I hav not a job, yet! I guess I will eventually get one, but I grew up expecting the jobs to b linin up infront of me or at least thats wot I was told. Hmm, lol

But then again, its really up to u. In all this "kosi kosi" ppl are finding work here, so mayb its just me. Maybe my own is waiting for me in Naij, God willing. Pray and ask God to direct you. All the best!

(1) (Reply)

Grand Oak Ltd Recruting / This Is Not Rumors Bt Real Abt Inec / We Are Hungry, MMM Is Becoming An Option, Protesting Doctors Cry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.