Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,355 members, 7,780,952 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:17 AM

I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu (32273 Views)

Hausa/fulani Is Far Richer Than Igbo In Nigeria / Our Children Are Turning Into Prostitutes, We Are Suffering, Tell PMB -Lagosian / Kachikwu Disagrees With Amaechi At FG Town Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 29, 2016
Environer:

I have no problem with Lagos being a Yorubaland. But the term ''Lagosian' is not = to ''Yoruba''. I was born in Lagos myself. I consider myself a Lagosian but never a Yoruba. NEVER.
Then you have a lot to learn.Lagos states does not promote Yoruba culture for nothing o.

3 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 3:12pm On Apr 29, 2016
Environer:

I have no problem with Lagos being a Yorubaland. But the term ''Lagosian' is not = to ''Yoruba''. I was born in Lagos myself. I consider myself a Lagosian but never a Yoruba. NEVER.
Lagosian are yorubas just like ndigbos are ibos but in ur case..u r a lagooner not a Lagosian.
I'm frm benin but have lived in Lagos I'm more yoruba than Edo...do u understand? be proud if ur red mud landlocked region.

tell any yorubas in Lagos u r Ibo immediately they will take u as ibo but not Lagosian.

6 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by RickyTan: 3:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
palsenator:
lol.... Who is hating if not your tribe? Even colonial masters knew Lagos was a Yoruba land. Yoruba = Lagosians = Yoruba. We know ourselves and our land is blessed that is why you all run down here. Your celebrities prefer to associate with our Lagos and likewise some of your brothers. The earlier you guys understand that you are already defeated mentally the better. Eko onibaje.

Kachikwu Ibe is Igbo and a Lagosian ( He said it NOT me).
If you like rant and rave till Kingdom come on NL, you convince no one.
Just make sure that you pay your rent at the end of the month, probably to an Igbo millionaire Lagos land owner.
So you can continue hating Igbos because they are economically successful all you want ( na your choice be dat) but you must continue paying rent ( not your choice).
ALL GOOD Brother.

3 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Cosbyrich: 3:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
Karm16:

Need and desires are two different things. No ibo can resist the beauty of Yoruba attires. wink

I mean, who wants to dress like these scarecrows below?

Why are you guys giving it to the Igbo guys like this?Some are trying to be a little civil.
lolington at scarecrows though.
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 29, 2016
safarigirl:
I was born in Lagos, does that make me Yoruba?

Yemi Alade was born in Abia state, does that make her Igbo?

You're not very smart, are you? undecided
if you go arround saying u r Akurite, Lagosian, Abeokuta, Ife e.t.c u r saying u have assimilated yoruba culture. ..is a simple logic.

Lagos has nothing to do with igbo and other non indigenous tribes, is either they' ve come to work, do business and return back to their native land or wait in lagos to become yorubas along with their children.

6 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Cosbyrich: 3:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
chesterlee:

I guess this is also a Yoruba attire!

SMH undecided
No,it is not Yoruba attire,it is Yoruba BUBA....lol
THAT IS CALLED BUBA AND SOKOTO IN YORUBALAND.

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Cosbyrich: 3:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
Drchristian:

if you go arround saying u r Akurite, Lagosian, Abeokuta, Ife e.t.c u r saying u have assimilated yoruba culture. ..is a simple logic.

Lagos has nothing to do with igbo and other non indigenous tribes, is either they' ve come to work, do business and return back to their native land or wait in lagos to become yorubas along with their children.

lol...or die in Lagos dreaming it to be a no man's land.
Lagos don cause wahala for Igbos o.

3 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by BudeYahooCom: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2016
Mekwen:
My brother you are even behind self, Fulani has already showed the world that Enugu is no man's land cos they go there to hunt for anihumans & go back with nobody to stop them.Fulani is saying if Lagos is no man's land then Enugu too is.

You will never catch me in an Agbada or that funny yoruba hat.-Siasia

https://www.naij.com/46522.html
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2016
If I hear any Yoruba saying he is more Igbo than his tribe I will vomit and ask him to shut up, .... After spending 25 yrs in Lagos I left Lagos to Portharcourt 10 yrs ago but I still Tell ppl I was a Lagosian because Lagos is not a name of a Tribe bot a place of resident.....being a lagosian does not mean your are yoruba......Now I see that Yorubas are possessed by anything Igbo. I wouldnt want any Yoruba man to tell me he is Igbo , taaa who dash you, likewise no Igbo man want to be yoruba.... we are too refined to be you wink

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Cosbyrich: 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
GreatSE:
If I hear any Yoruba saying he is more Igbo than his tribe I will vomit and ask him to shut up, .... After spending 25 yrs in Lagos I left Lagos to Portharcourt 10 yrs ago but I still Tell ppl I was a Lagosian because Lagos is not a name of a Tribe bot a place of resident.....being a lagosian does not mean your are yoruba......Now I see that Yorubas are possessed by anything Igbo. I wouldnt want any Yoruba man to tell me he is Igbo , taaa who dash you, likewise no Igbo man want to be yoruba.... we are too refined to be you wink

Consoling words...lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by jucs: 4:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
My names are Johnmartins Chiedozie Ugwu , I'm The International President of www.allafricanstudents.com , the fastest Growing African Students Organization With The Vision to Better The lives of Students and Creats Fabulous Opportunities For Self Advancement. The Noble Organization Is At Present Being Restructured and New Chapter Presidents; i means Vibrants and Dedicated Students Are Needed in Every Tertiary institutions across Africa To Pilot The affairs of The Noble Body in their Schools. Call or Add me on Whatsapp for More on this . 08099737787, u can verify the website for more, 08099737787 ﹑ 08037553190
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Cosbyrich: 4:34pm On Apr 29, 2016
MetaHuman:
nigger, know your history .

That's not Igbo attire.

That's buba and sokoto with red cap. It was copied from Yoruba attire.

Ibo mostly tie wrapper, wear chicken feather or beads, those are cultural Igbo atires before they start migrating and mixing with real people. Stealing their culture and attire and rebranding it to make it look like theirs.

Hilarious..but the Igbos,I am sorry did not have any native dress except wrappers..lols..All the clothes they are wearing now are being copied reason they wear western clothes than any other tribe.You don't give what you don't have.

5 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Cosbyrich: 4:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
jucs:
My names are Johnmartins Chiedozie Ugwu , I'm The International President of www.allafricanstudents.com , the fastest Growing African Students Organization With The Vision to Better The lives of Students and Creats Fabulous Opportunities For Self Advancement. The Noble Organization Is At Present Being Restructured and New Chapter Presidents; i means Vibrants and Dedicated Students Are Needed in Every Tertiary institutions across Africa To Pilot The affairs of The Noble Body in their Schools. Call or Add me on Whatsapp for More on this . 08099737787, u can verify the website for more, 08099737787 ﹑ 08037553190
May God pick your call.Read this again and amend....

The lives of Students and Creats Fabulous
Opportunities For Self Advancement. The Noble
Organization Is At Present Being Restructured and
New Chapter Presidents; i means Vibrants and.....

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by CookieBrown: 4:57pm On Apr 29, 2016
mekaboy:

He is trying to say he belongs to everybody and nobody. Lagos is no man's land.

If you believe you are trully the son of your father, write Lagos is a no man's land on a huge cardboard, go out on the streets of Ikeja and hold it above your head and see if you live through the day. Hehehehe! Coward hiding on a faceless forum.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by loopman: 5:44pm On Apr 29, 2016
The Yoruba swag is in the DNA!! grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by loopman: 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
Our forebears have been fashionable, even when others were covering themselves with animal skins in the jungle angry

3 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by ibedun: 6:19pm On Apr 29, 2016
RickyTan:

Kachikwu Ibe is Igbo and a Lagosian ( He said it NOT me).
If you like rant and rave till Kingdom come on NL, you convince no one.
Just make sure that you pay your rent at the end of the month, probably to an Igbo millionaire Lagos land owner.
So you can continue hating Igbos because they are economically successful all you want ( na your choice be dat) but you must continue paying rent ( not your choice).
ALL GOOD Brother.
o

Igbo and hopeless consolation.

As far as Lagos is concerned, you are a foreigner and a foreigner you shall remain.

The yoruba indegenes you are mocking will sooner or later take your property over. Just keep praying for peace and stability.

Kachikwu, abi wetin be your papa name, is a joker. Lagosian my foot, he had better go and find his roots. Igbo lasan!!!

4 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Afam4eva(m): 6:55pm On Apr 29, 2016
One cannot help but shudder at the stupid ignorance of a lot of Nigerians. How can one be more of a Lagosian than Igbo when the latter is an ethnic group while the former is a state of being a Lagos resident. The correct thing to say would be that he is an Igbo living in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by safarigirl(f): 6:58pm On Apr 29, 2016
Drchristian:

I was replying the guy who said Don Jazzy is Igbo because he was born in Abia

My post had nothing to do with who is Lagosian or whatever terms you guys attribute to being Yoruba. I'm sure the Kachikwu fellow, like most immigrant 'Lagosians' can't speak a word of Yoruba anyway.

Maybe if he changed his name to Lanre or so, we could have this argument.

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by safarigirl(f): 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2016
Cosbyrich:

Hilarious..but the Igbos,I am sorry did not have any native dress except wrappers..lols..All the clothes they are wearing now are being copied reason they wear western clothes than any other tribe.You don't give what you don't have.
lol...you took a survey and came to the conclusion of who wears the most 'western' clothes in a country filled with over 200 ethnic groups?

Seun, you seriously need to start conducting tests on these people registered on NL. They present the Nigerian nation in a bad light with poorly thought-out comments

4 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 29, 2016
Environer:

He did not claim Yoruba. There is a big chasm between ''Yoruba'' and ''Lagosian''
Please tell them

Fools! Foolish people!! Zombies!!!

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Afam4eva(m): 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2016
safarigirl:
I was replying the guy who said Don Jazzy is Igbo because he was born in Abia

My post had nothing to do with who is Lagosian or whatever terms you guys attribute to being Yoruba. I'm sure the Kachikwu fellow, like most immigrant 'Lagosians' can't speak a word of Yoruba anyway.

Maybe if he changed his name to Lanre or so, we could have this argument.
It made more sense when Clarion Chukwura said that her first language is Yoruba instead of Igbo. As much as it kinda pissed me off, it made more sense since she has lived a Yoruba life most of her life and consistently married different Yoruba men. But I just dont just understand this our ministers own because even my mum who was born in Lagos is still her Igbo self and does not speak a lick of Igbo like millions of other Igbos in Lagos.
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Scholes007(m): 9:14pm On Apr 29, 2016
Adaure4ever:
are you up to 16yrs, how does wearing other people attire atleast once in a year mean cultural confusion.
Are you high on expired viju milk?
kikiki
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Scholes007(m): 9:26pm On Apr 29, 2016
ba7man:
I like this man. We need more Igbos like him in this country.

Not those irritating ones that are loud mouthed and love to boast and chest beat.
how many igbo men do you know? Oh i forgot, you have dozens of them on Nairaland. Hahaha
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by engrchykae(m): 9:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
Karm16:

Is your tongue split? Today you're pro-biafra, tomorrow you want to discuss one Nigeria.
You sound confused.
Why won't you rock Yoruba attire? Who hasn't? Who wouldn't?
and u would soon turn around and condemn igbos for being pompous.
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Onenaira1: 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2016
bakynes:

You are just assuming, show me a Yoruba man dressed in his native attire dressed in a wrapper. Dig out the internet for pictures and show it to me. Just so you know another form of trouser yorubas wear is a bubu type of trouser that is more like a 3/4 trouser but never see any ancient yoruba man wear wrapper.

Will you yoloba shut the Bleep and go back to school. The outfit yoloba call a traditional attire is a DIRECT COPIED of the SUDANO-SAHELIAN groups of Africa. None of what yorubas wear today came from yoruba excluding THE hat. You actually have no traditional attire

We've already argued that on this page
https://www.nairaland.com/807895/yoruba-igbo-acculturation-multiculture

Some even provided direct books and links which stated so.

The SUDANO sahelian outfit in which yoriba wear today and call "yoruba traditional attire" was passed around west Africa hence most west African male outfit are similar.

The yoruba learned that outfit from Hausa who pick it up from tuareg who picked up from nubians who were the original creator.

The ONLY thing yoruba has claim to when it comes to that attire is that weird ugly floppy hat.

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Bitterleafsoup: 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2016
post=45130182:
Some of you guys reasons through the anus it would have sound silly if he said I'm more Yoruba than Igbo, Lagos was former colony, once you have leave in Lagos for years you are Lagosian, and he knows the sensitive position he occupied and those in control now hate Igbos, he never deny his people. Children of hate you can twist it the way that suits you na sabe.
Well said!

1 Like

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
Karm16:

Is your tongue split? Today you're pro-biafra, tomorrow you want to discuss one Nigeria.
You sound confused.
Why won't you rock Yoruba attire? Who hasn't? Who wouldn't?
He is a confused fellow. Aye Omo nye oni itunmo. Him go insult Buhari today, praise am tomorrow. Preach one Nigeria today, scream Biafra tomorrow. The guy is naturally high.
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Onenaira1: 9:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
Cosbyrich:

Neither do yoruba do wtf you talking about. Everything yoruba were today was copied from SUDANO-SAHELIAN tribes of North Africa. Putting a floppy hat on a traditional tuareg, etc outfit dpes not make it your own traditional attire.

Everything yoruba wear is either from Arabs or whites so before opening mouth talking about "you don't give what you don't have". Look in the mirror first of all"

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Scholes007(m): 9:55pm On Apr 29, 2016
Cosbyrich:

if you really want to know about igbo dressing just tell me i will school you. Our dressing culture is too diverse.
Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Onenaira1: 10:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
For those of you niggas, as well as the illiterate yolobas on here shouting Igbo copied our swag.... the outfit in which you fools are claiming as your own came out from the sudano-sahelian of North Africa. It migrated down to West Africa through the Fulani community. The hausa picked it up from Fulani and the Bini and yoloba picked it up from Hausa.

Infact, the igbos picked the outfit up from BINI, not Yoruba as it there are pre colonial pictures of Igbo males wearing bubu. The first ever introduction of Igbo and yoloba were during Nigeria creation. Infact the Igbo ancestors avoided yoloba like a plague (I actually don't blame them. I'm pissed Zik didn't follow that foot step) therefore, the picked up from the community who engaged hausa in trade they interacted at that time aka BINI

This article is about the Grand Boubou and its variations.

The Grand Boubou/Bubu is one of the names for a flowing wide sleeved robe worn by men in much of West Africa, and to a lesser extent in North Africa, related to the Dashiki suit[citation needed]. It is known by various names, depending on the ethnic group wearing them: Agbada (Yoruba, Dagomba), Babban Riga (Hausa), K'sa (Tuareg) Grand Boubou (in various Francophone West African countries) and the English term of Gown. The Senegalese Boubou, a variation on the Grand Boubou described below, is also known as the Senegalese kaftan. The female version worn in some communities is also known as a M'boubou or Kaftan.

History
Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires, (See Bisht and Kaftan for information on these).

The use of the Grand boubou as clothing became widespread throughout the West African region with the migration of semi-nomadic groups such as the Fulani, and traders such as the Dyula and Hausa. Comparing the Grand boubou to the various styles of Arabic Thawb suggests the Grand boubou follows an archaic template to the contemporary male clothing of the Middle East and North Africa.

The Grand boubou is usually decorated with intricate embroidery, and is worn on special religious or ceremonial occasions, for example the two Islamic Eid festivals, weddings, funerals or for attending the Mosque for Friday prayer. It has become the formal attire of many countries in West Africa. Older robes have become family heirlooms passed on from father to son and are worn as status symbols.

The Boubou has female versions in Mali, Senegal, Gambia and Guinea, whereas in other regions of West Africa, the female formal clothing has been the wrapper.

The Grand boubou as a full formal attire consists of 3 pieces of clothing: a pair of tie-up trousers that narrow towards the ankles (known as a Sokoto pronounced "Shokoto" in Yoruba) and a long-sleeved shirt (known as a Dashiki in Yoruba) and a wide, open-stitched sleeveless gown worn over these. They are generally of the same colour, and historically were made from silk, but increased understanding of Islamic restrictions on clothing meant the Grand boubou is now mostly made from cotton and synthetic cloths made to resemble silk.

Method of wearing
There is a set etiquette to wearing the Grand boubou, primarily in place to keep the over-gown above the ankles at any one time, in keeping with Islamic traditions of avoiding impurity (see Najis). This can include folding the open sleeves of the Boubou over one's shoulders, normally done while walking or before sitting down, to ensure the over-gown does not rub against the ground, or by folding/wrapping each side over the other with the hand, narrowing the gowns space toward the ankles (as done by the Tuareg). Thus, it is rare to see the Grand boubou's square shaped gown completely unwrapped.

Popularity
The Grand boubou's use was historically limited to various Islamized Sahelian and Saharan peoples of West Africa, but through increased trade and the spread of Islam throughout the region, had historically gained use among Islamized peoples in the savanna and forested regions of West Africa. Through this, the Grand boubou was historically worn by Chiefs of the Yoruba of Nigeria, Dagomba of Ghana, the Mandinka of the Gambia, the Susu of Guinea and the Temnes of Sierra Leone.

Even today, the Grand boubou is mostly worn by Muslims, although it is gaining popularity as a fashionable form of attire by Christians in West Africa, the African diaspora, and very recently, even among Bantu people in East, Southern and Central Africa.

Gender differences
Although usually a form of men's clothing, women's traditional clothing in much of Sahelian West Africa is of similar construction, though usually worn differently. The Boubou has female versions in Mali, Senegal, Gambia, and Guinea. In some places these are called the M'boubou. In other regions of West Africa, the female formal clothing has been a Boubou variant, called a kaftan, and in other places it is the wrapper and headscarf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boubou_(clothing)

More links regarding its origin

Here's some reading material for your leisure time:

http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/agbadainfo.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0438/is_2_35/ai_94010397/
http://www.bakareweate.com/texts/the%20agbada.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=zmKZ7-y4Q3gC&pg=PA100&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=zAm6TpWXKMvAtgeezJWqBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=agbada%20clothing&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=r_pUDOWOB7MC&pg=PT64&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=zAm6TpWXKMvAtgeezJWqBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CFcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=agbada%20clothing&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_lCFcabj0MC&pg=PA59&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=Qwq6Ts2nJcGTtwfi342iBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDcQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=agbada%20clothing&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=1u4EAQAAIAAJ&q=agbada+clothing&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=Qwq6Ts2nJcGTtwfi342iBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBDgK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
Adaure4ever:
hi.
Hey. Go check ur email smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nse Ekpenyong Is Dead: Member Representing Oron Fed Constituency Dies At 58 / #thelist Trends On Twitter As Nigerians Await Buhari's Ministers / Amosun Visits Ajibola Olutayo Otubose, 67-Year-Old Woman Who Gave Birth To Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.