Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,565 members, 7,801,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home (41891 Views)

Burial Of IPOB Member Killed When Army Invaded Nnamdi Kanu's House (Photos) / Herdsmen Invade Soyinka’s Home / How Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinkas Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by PapaBrowne(m): 7:52pm On Apr 28, 2016
[size=14pt]How Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home[/size]

Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka has disclosed that herdsmen invaded his home while he was abroad with the cows leaving a “motorable” path.

In an address to the National Conference on Culture and Tourism on April 27, Soyinka decried the ruthless manner with which the herdsmen have conducted their business of late.
He stressed that Nigeria’s tourism will never boom if it continues to tolerate such insecurity, noting that, culture and tourism are interdependent.

He also stated that the federal government led by President Muhammadu Buhari has not done enough to stop the onslaught of the herdsmen.

“Let me narrate a personal experience – just one among many – that was brought home to me, right against my doorstep. Before that specific happening, I had observed a change of quality in forest encounters with cattle herdsmen over the years. These changes had become sufficiently alarming for me to arrange meetings with a few governors and, later, with the late National Security Adviser General Azazi. At the time, we thought that they were Boko Haram, infiltrating into the south under the guise of cattle herding. That was then, and of course, that surmise has never been firmly proven or disproved,” he said in a press statement.

Narrating his experience, he said: “Recently, however, I returned from a trip outside the country about to find that my home ground had been invaded, and a brand-new “Appian way” sliced through my sanctuary. That ‘motorable’ path was made by the hoofed invaders. Both the improvised entry and exit are now blocked, but interested journalists are invited to visit.

“In over two decades of living in that ecological preserve, no such intrusion had ever occurred. I have no idea whether they were Fulani or Futa Jalon herdsmen but, they were cattle herders, and they had cut a crude swathe through my private grounds.

“I made enquiries and sent alerts around, including through the Baale of our neighborhood village. There has been no repeat, and hopefully, it will remain the first and last of such invasion. What it portends, however, is for all thinking citizens to reflect upon, and take concerted measures against.”

[url]http://saharareporters.com/2016/04/28/how-herdsmen-invaded-wole-soyinka%E2%80%99s-home[/url]

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by PapaBrowne(m): 7:54pm On Apr 28, 2016
HIGHLIGHTS OF SOYINKA'S SPEECH

"Let me narrate a personal experience – just one among many – that was brought home to me, right against my doorstep. Before that specific happening, I had observed a change of quality in forest encounters with cattle herdsmen over the years. These changes had become sufficiently alarming for me to arrange meetings with a few governors and, later, with the late National Security Adviser General Azazi. At the time, we thought that they were Boko Haram, infiltrating into the south under the guise of cattle herding. That was then, and of course, that surmise has never been firmly proven or disproved.

Recently, however, I returned from a trip outside the country about to find that my home ground had been invaded, and a brand-new “Appian way” sliced through my sanctuary. That ‘motorable’ path was made by the hoofed invaders. Both the improvised entry and exit are now blocked, but interested journalists are invited to visit. In over two decades of living in that ecological preserve, no such intrusion had ever occurred. I have no idea whether they were Fulani or Futa Jalon herdsmen but, they were cattle herders, and they had cut a crude swathe through my private grounds. I made enquiries and sent alerts around, including through the Baale of our neighborhood village. There has been no repeat, and hopefully, it will remain the first and last of such invasion. What it portends, however, is for all thinking citizens to reflect upon, and take concerted measures against."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by ogaontop(m): 7:56pm On Apr 28, 2016
Shall We Run away From Nigeria?

No body, No Place Is Safe Again!

12 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by SleekAboki: 7:59pm On Apr 28, 2016
So they had to invade his home before he could voice out?

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by mercenary: 8:11pm On Apr 28, 2016
Very sad, am happy its also getting to his doorstep... Dats wat he supported

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Movic1(m): 8:12pm On Apr 28, 2016
So Prof too dn experience dis fulanis herdsmen cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Thank your God they didn't kill U! U wont be here telling Us ur P.Xperience lipsrsealed.

RIP to those killed by the new terrorists in town sad sad.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Flashh: 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2016
mercenary:
What kind of human thing are you?

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by jogojogo: 8:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
mercenary:

That s why this kind of evil is coming on your people. Happy you said? Continue

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by loopman: 8:19pm On Apr 28, 2016
mercenary:

So essentially those people gloating over your misfortune in Enugu are in order then, if you have so much hate in you to welcome violence despoliation of others.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Acidosis(m): 8:21pm On Apr 28, 2016
This is the time APC needs to fulfil the promises on State Policing. However, with the on-going NPF recruitment exercise, it is clear the party has nothing new to offer in terms of security of lives and properties.

May God deliver our officers who spend more time in beer parlours and "WEED" joints. We will manage them till 2019.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Karm16: 8:22pm On Apr 28, 2016
Narrating his experience, he said: “Recently, however, I returned from a trip outside the country about to find that my home ground had been invaded, and a brand-new “Appian way” sliced through my sanctuary. That ‘motorable’ path was made by the hoofed invaders. Both the improvised entry and exit are now blocked, but interested journalists are invited to visit.

Great, maybe now he can stop making noise about IPOB touts and focus more on Fulani herdsmen in the Southwest. While Igbo governors are crying and fasting, Yoruba governors and leaders need to be more productive.
One problem I have with Soyinka is that the same Biafrans he fought for and went to jail for are the ones insulting and belittling his names on social media. When will he stop speaking in their defense?
Maybe now, he can focus his attention on Fulani herdsmen in the SW to ensure that our leaders act instead of shedding crocodile tears. I hope they visit:

1. OBJ
2. Fayose
3. Tinubu
4. Ajimobi
5. Etc

The only way to make Nigerian politicians more efficient is to attack them directly. If SW leaders can't get together in this trying time, they need to used as scapegoats.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:22pm On Apr 28, 2016
The disintegration of Nigeria will be propelled & geared by Fulani Herdsmen not IPOB as people thought. Every must answer hin papa name soon

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by ki02020(m): 8:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
SleekAboki:

Calm down na, he actually experienced the invasion long before the enugu even falae case

Didn't you see the part he said he had once discus the issue with the late Azazi

24 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Built2last: 8:26pm On Apr 28, 2016
The carnage by these barbarians sounds funny to some ears.

just wait its going round gradually.

we condemn it and the northern leaders are drinking kunu.

I have my fears for my people in middle belt.

I can swear that Fulani can never take over Igbo land.

they have already protested and arming themselves while their governor dance in Abuja.

I call on middle Beltans...brace up...we die once but it has to be that we defended our land.

6 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by freshness2020: 8:26pm On Apr 28, 2016
God help us
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Karm16: 8:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
Acidosis:
This is the time APC needs to fulfil the promises on State Policing. However, with the on-going NPF recruitment exercise, it is clear the party has nothing new to offer in terms of security of lives and properties.

May God deliver our officers who spend more time in beer parlours and "WEED" joints. We will manage them till 2019.

If they can't give us state policing, they should at least grant us region policing. Every region for itself.
I won't hesitate to arm awon omoniles, garage touts, and Fayose's close friends to deal with this menace and provide security for the SW.

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Acidosis(m): 8:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
The same PDP misrule created CIVIL DEFENCE.

What has happened lately? APC, the party of change turned our Officers to Black Marketers and KEGITES. Our gallant officers now control traffic in filling stations, and in fact, they've been instructed to arrest and jail anyone with jerrycan.

7 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
hmmm

To be honest, the age of moving around with cattle is over. Time to begin the harsh process of modernising our entire cattle rearing system.

(And it isn't just cows.....animals roam across the country).

Also time Nigerians did their work when they should.
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Dainikel(m): 8:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
Fulani herdsmen again?
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
Hope they didn't shave his hair and beard? They can't find anything tangible in house- only aparo and books

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by SleekAboki: 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
ki02020:

Calm down na, he actually experienced the invasion long before the enugu even falae case

Didn't you see the part he said he had once discus the issue with the late Azazi
“In over two decades of living in that ecological preserve, no such intrusion had ever occurred. I have no idea whether they were Fulani or Futa Jalon herdsmen but, they were cattle herders, and they had cut a crude swathe through my private grounds.
“I made enquiries and sent alerts around, including through the Baale of our neighborhood village. There has been no repeat, and hopefully, it will remain the first and last of such invasion. What it portends, however, is for all thinking citizens to reflect upon, and take concerted measures against.”
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by eleko1: 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
theY normally go about with their stick but now sad embarassed sad
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by DrChukzy(m): 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
Am waiting for one Inspector of police to say that they are not herdsmen but church people on evangelism. One Nijeria my left foot. Mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by seunny4lif(m): 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
grin grin grin
Lol grin
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by Standing5(m): 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
SleekAboki:
Your bigotry can blind you from reading simple fact.

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by EmmaOgbu(m): 8:31pm On Apr 28, 2016
Eh

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by vickodedon(m): 8:31pm On Apr 28, 2016
amiibaby:
Kill all hausas and Nigeria will be a place to live
serious?? Tell me more
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by SleekAboki: 8:31pm On Apr 28, 2016
Standing5:
Your bigotry can blind you from reading simple fact.
And you are? Just look at this thing talking.
Re: Herdsmen Invaded Wole Soyinka’s Home by free2ryhme: 8:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
this has to STOP!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Karma Caught Up With Obama" - Fani-Kayode / I Am Wiser Now - Governor Akinwunmi Ambode / FG Under Fire For Tagging #EndSARS Campaigners Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.