Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building (12105 Views)

Piling Contractor In Nigeria, Pile Load Test, Integrity Test, Underpinning Works / Piling Contractor In Nigeria, Pile Load Test, Integrity Test, Underpinning Works / Building Collapse: Lagos Demands Integrity Test On Buildings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by dahaz(m): 11:54pm On Apr 28, 2016
pls this is for expirience and practical engrs.The height of an abandon warehouse is to be increased and the steel roof is to be replaced with a new one. In the absence of the as-built drawing, how do you evaluate if the foundation will be able to carry the additional loads and the new roof?
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by kingstylo01(m): 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
cool
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by spicytayomic(m): 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
Here to learn

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by micklplus(m): 6:22am On Apr 29, 2016
Why not engage the services of a professional structural engineer to confirm to you the structural stability of the property?

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by MrPresident1: 6:22am On Apr 29, 2016
Use Newtons 3rd law of motion, action and reaction are equal and opposite.

Go and buy caterpilar, ram it hard on the building, if the thing stand gidigba no shaking, then the house get structural integrity.

Thank me later cool

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by lovedatruth(m): 6:25am On Apr 29, 2016
Pls u need to consult d experts on dis before. taking any step. I no wan hear toughing story later o.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by dammytosh: 6:26am On Apr 29, 2016
u better call experts .

integrity test and u dey Google ?

Dnt kill future occupants of the building please

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by teddyYz: 6:31am On Apr 29, 2016
Using artificially simulated earthquake

1 Like

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by sheddo619(m): 6:33am On Apr 29, 2016
A building diagnosis needs to b done by trained professional though I think good underpining needs to b done to the foundation.(A building engineering student thought sha), let's just wait for professionals to come offer a relevant solutions.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by topeal(f): 6:35am On Apr 29, 2016
grin ;Dcrazy you.
MrPresident1:

Go and buy caterpilar, ram it hard on the building, if the thing stand gidigba no shaking, then the house get structural integrity.

Thank me later cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by drtwist(m): 6:39am On Apr 29, 2016
Any way since you are not with the as built drawing try to get in touch with the initial Engr to obtain the basic information needed for to continuation. Alternatively put in place a fresh design that will suit what you want to build which will lead to installation of fresh columns and beams.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by labamo07(m): 6:40am On Apr 29, 2016
MrPresident1:

Thank me later cool
Oshogbo weed dey do you strong thing.................

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by SafetyFirst(m): 6:44am On Apr 29, 2016
There are non destructive tests for reinforced concrete structures (Ultrasonic pulse velocity test and Schmidt hammer test). Either of these tests will give you the structural integrity of the structure.

Where is the structure located?

For more information, contact me.
We are into Quality Control (Materials Testing)

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by touchmark(m): 6:48am On Apr 29, 2016
You have to furnish us with more information on structural eldments of the warehouse. Is the building of composite members: combination of concrete and steel as stanchion and beams. What type of foundation is transmitting the load to the soil. At least that you can see physically. Give us more information for preliminary advice. Mainwhile, a on site inspection and investigation will help also. You can contact me on acesanmite@gmail.
com
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by Babangida70(m): 6:52am On Apr 29, 2016
Buhari is a man of INTEGRITY so I guess you should ask him grin

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by lordheir: 6:54am On Apr 29, 2016
Needs to be scientifically proven
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 29, 2016
I honestly think nothing much can be done since you introducing a load that wasn't designed for.The only solution here is for the engineer to use a reinforced supports column or metals support to carry the intoduced load.Jst 4 safety guaranty
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by lonelydora: 6:58am On Apr 29, 2016
Op, please engage the services of a professional to avoid threads like

"Warehouse collapses: Scores trapped inside, Owner on the run"

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by quickly: 6:58am On Apr 29, 2016
dahaz:
pls this is for expirience and practical engrs.The height of an abandon warehouse is to be increased and the steel roof is to be replaced with a new one. In the absence of the as-built drawing, how do you evaluate if the foundation will be able to carry the additional loads and the new roof?

U will need to create drawings by hiring an architect or draft to make drawings of the existing structure in cad.
They shd get the existing dimensions and create a drawing.

No 2. You will need to hire a registered civil or structural engineer as a consultant to do the calculations and give u detailed scope of work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by realborn(m): 7:02am On Apr 29, 2016
My thoughts:

1. Carefully carry out structured excavation around the existing foundation at few areas, preferably column positions to ascertain the type of foundation.

2. Make efforts to deduce the as built structural details from the structural members sighted by visual inspection. Make assumptions where necessary.

3. Carry out Schmidt rebound hammer tests on the concrete elements you can see from foundation at exposed areas to the roof in most other areas seen. Check the resultant strengths.

4. Check for visible structural defects, such as cracks along key structural members or exposed reinforcements.

5. Simulate the results from 1,2&3 to check if the old building can accommodate new loads.

6. Safest option is to introduce new columns with a new foundation base and connection of beams to accommodate the proposed additional load.

7. Ensure the properties of the new roof are similar to the old roof.

8. Exercise duty of care when carrying out the new works.

9. These suggestions are only possible for bungalow buildings. For buildings with slabs over them, the original as built construction drawings must be perused before any additional loads are introduced.

My 2 cents...

9 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by opalu: 7:03am On Apr 29, 2016
There are two issues here:
1. The building has been abandoned for a long time. Meaning that the strength and it's ability to perform it's initial intended use has been or is likely to have been compromised.

2. The owner wants to increase the height or dimensions of the structure. Which implies that even if it was not abandoned, it still would have required structural modifications.

In cases whereby there are no drawings for a structure, you do not need to worry yourself. Experienced structural Engineers carry out onsite verification to ascertain the necessary parameters. Even if you need the exact structure details of a building built on piles 30 years ago, it can be done. Not based on assumptions but the exact thing. That is new technology.

Now on this your issue, if you are a client, I advise you not to try to understand everything about the whole process before you do it. Because chances are that any professional that can make you fully grasp the processes is a quack. Because Engineering is not art. Even a surgeon cannot make his patient to fully grasp the entire operation details before he carry out his work.

In conclusion, I advise you to get experts to handle that work. Not a part time professional or a young graduate. Engage someone who makes his living from doing such work. They are more serious and current with their field. It's not about the test to evaluate if the foundation can carry it. The foundation must be modified. It is a must. In my doctorate programme, I made some discoveries about the lifespan of structures. You can find a way to use the existing foundation and for years it will stand gidigba. But you have shortened the lifespan of that structure considerably.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by Barselonia(m): 7:04am On Apr 29, 2016
Okay
....let's go this way
although u need an engineer to visit the site for feasibility sstudy first...

but let me give u my suggestion;

u said u want to increase the warehouse height: from the initial building height now,chain tthe building round (meaning put a beam round )before adding the new block..

tthen secondlly create a new columns at some strategy points, the serve two main purpose
1. to carry new beam u want to introduce on the old wall
2. to carry the steel roof u want to introducee

integrity test in Nigeria..... forget that one...

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by Aarenasbaba(m): 7:06am On Apr 29, 2016
Consult a structural engineer to know whether underpinning work wl b done
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by SafetyFirst(m): 7:10am On Apr 29, 2016
quickly:

U will need to create drawings by hiring an architect or draft to make drawings of the existing structure in cad.
They shd get the existing dimensions and create a drawing.

No 2. You will need to hire a registered civil or structural engineer as a consultant to do the calculations and give u detailed scope of work

A "warehouse" is a Civil Engineering project.
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by endtimesblog: 7:16am On Apr 29, 2016
cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:21am On Apr 29, 2016
Special shout out to the Ibadan chickens above screaming "get an expert, get an expert".

The thread was created for the experts to comment not U
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by Ayaba03(f): 7:23am On Apr 29, 2016
In my opinion underpinning is not an option since nothing suggest that the foundation is failing or has failed so do not further risk the integrity by underpinning,rather check for the strength of the surrounding soil and what type of foundation was constructed as this will give u an insight to the mindset of the design crew, proceed to size of columns and size of iron bars used in the biulding, do same evaluation for the roofbeams after checking for sign of distress in the whole structure due to long exposure to weather as this will determine the current level of trust/integrity of the structure, u can then simulate with the datas u have if the structure would be able to carry your additional proposed loads and to what extent u can load the structure without assualting the integrity of the stucture (I assumed the structure is framed if it is load bearing walls then mode of evaluation will totally vary).
However u will need a team of engnrs to arrive at best way to carry out evaluation and upgrade on your structure.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by Joenyam(m): 7:27am On Apr 29, 2016
Mr OP you fail to tell us what material (s) was used to build the warehouse, it may be steel, RC or both, it may also be timber. The main task of the assessment is to ensure that the structure or part of it does not fail, i.e it should perform its intended pupose. Thus the test should cover be based on Ultimat limit test.
So the integrity assessment can be grouped into three.
(1) Measurement based serviceability assessment i.e measurement of load effects and serviceability verification.
(2) Model based safety and serviceability assessment i.e acquisition of data of loading and resistance; calculation of load effects on structural models; safety and serviceability verification
(3) Non-formal assessment:In this category fall assessment routines which are based on the experience and the judgement of the assessing engineer. They are more or less subjective and are applied only exceptional.
Next you have to collect data from the warehouse; but since you don't have at your disposal the design and construction drawing proceed to Inspection and Material Testing, this include: inspection of cracks, and visual failures of part of the structure; material strength testing (destuctive and non-destructive tests) using tension and compression tests on samples, sclerometer method, pull-out tests, pull-off tests, schmdit Rebound hammer test etc.; parameter, influencing the dead load and the superimposed dead load (e.g. material densities, permanent equipment.

OP seriously the procedure is much this is just a little, I'll advise you to contact an experience engineer. I am one, but not so much experience on this.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by porshuch: 7:27am On Apr 29, 2016
realborn:
My thoughts:

1. Carefully carry out structured excavation around the existing foundation at few areas, preferably column positions to ascertain the type of foundation.

2. Make efforts to deduce the as built structural details from the structural members sighted by visual inspection. Make assumptions where necessary.

3. Carry out Schmidt rebound hammer tests on the concrete elements you can see from foundation at exposed areas to the roof in most other areas seen. Check the resultant strengths.

4. Check for visible structural defects, such as cracks along key structural members or exposed reinforcements.

5. Simulate the results from 1,2&3 to check if the old building can accommodate new loads.

6. Safest option is to introduce new columns with a new foundation base and connection of beams to accommodate the proposed additional load.

7. Ensure the properties of the new roof are similar to the old roof.

8. Exercise duty of care when carrying out the new works.

9. These suggestions are only possible for bungalow buildings. For buildings with slabs over them, the original as built construction drawings must be perused before any additional loads are introduced.

My 2 cents...
you've said it all.
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by geez18(m): 7:28am On Apr 29, 2016
SafetyFirst:
There are non destructive tests for reinforced concrete structures (Ultrasonic pulse velocity test and Schmidt hammer test). Either of these tests will give you the structural integrity of the structure.

For more information...

yes you're correct.and for these tests he has to visit the state's government urban developement board he resides in,there they'll provide these equipments and the professionals with the necessary skills to carryout these tests.
Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by henrygoody(m): 7:37am On Apr 29, 2016
MrPresident1:

Thank me later cool

My bro, u wicked dieiiiiii

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Carryout Integrity Test On An Abandon Building by latolak(m): 7:40am On Apr 29, 2016
You'll have to refer to the laboratory technicians to give you a range of options available. NDT tests will be the best.

Bear in mind that you can excavate along the face of your foundation to know the size of your footings. You can along expose the concrete cover to see the rebar details.

Based on your deduction of the as built details, you can redesign.

If its a simple frame without a suspended slab (which i think it is), you may have to add a few footings to take more load from the roof.

One question. Are you simply replacing the roof? If you're not going to add any extra loading then there's little to worry about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soak Away /septic Tank Construction On Waterlogged Area / g / Every Home Deserves A Tastefully Furnished Product

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.