Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian (16260 Views)

How Do I Know If My Girlfriend Will Get Fat When I Marry Her? / Should A Jobless Guy Go Into A Relationship? / Should I Marry This Single Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Blackberrybabes: 6:54am On Apr 29, 2016
I travelled home to see my parents over the weekend and I must say it was nice seeing them after close to 2 months. I saw them last on Jan 1st after the New Year’s celebration. I am just this kind of guy that loves staying far from my childhood area. I believe you are much more appreciated if people see less of you.
Even in my University days, I might go home for just once in a year and anytime I go home, I am always hailed like a king on the street. I love this so much, makes me feel like the King of the Street.

Dad and mum were so delighted to see me and trust our mums, she saw with her x-ray eyes that I was getting so lean, when I have always thought I am living large and changing to the man with the big stature I always dreamt of becoming. Dad also confirmed this and trust African parents, they began to prescribe all sorts of drugs from Vitamin supplements to blood tonic, to Epo Eja which is Cod Liver oil and so on. I told them I would get all that.

After a moment, my mum left us and went to see her friend in the next building. Then the man-to-man talk between me and my dad started. You know dads now. They are more concerned about your goals and achievements. He began by asking how work is faring and my plans for the New year.
He talked about advancing my studies to the Phd level. That this would give me an edge over my colleagues and even my superiors. I didn’t bother to mention to him that I was not going further beyond this Masters degree that I posses.

Then he popped the question. “How is your girlfriend doing?” I initially pretended as if I didn’t hear that and he repeated himself. I made him understand I have non that I have been so much busy with work and plans to move my career to the next level.
Then he asked the master question. “From which tribe will you like to marry from?” I told him I can marry from any tribe as long she is human.

He said no, that some tribes are better left alone due to their culture and so on, blah blah blah. I tried to orientate him that we are all one. That one cannot judge the attitude or behavior of an individual from the general perception of her tribe. He tried to prove his point. I didn’t bother to argue with him, because if I did, the conversation would last for hours which I was not ready to engage in.

But why are our parents always particular about tribes when we are all one Nigeria. There was this time this Tanzanian lady came to our office and it wasn’t until when she mentioned that she was from that country before we realized she wasn’t a Nigerian. She looked so much like a Nigerian. This is just to tell that we are all one and we should not be judged by our tribes, but by the contents of our hearts, individually.

....Diary of a Jobless Nigerian Youth

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2016/04/should-i-marry-woman-who-is-not-from-my.html

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 29, 2016
smelling nonsense

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Blackberrybabes: 6:55am On Apr 29, 2016
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by FreemanDave(m): 6:57am On Apr 29, 2016
undecided
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Ikegift4real(m): 6:59am On Apr 29, 2016
it all boils down compatibility.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by kossyablaze(m): 7:04am On Apr 29, 2016
Sure u can
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:06am On Apr 29, 2016
This question should be:

1. Am i pleased with that woman?

2. Am i comfortable with her?

3. Does she give me cause to take her down the aisle?

4. Do I have future with this woman?

5. Does she posses the potentials I needed in a woman?

After asking yourselves these series of questions & you find no reason to do away with her, Bros abeg no let that woman pass you by. We are talking about peace of mind here not tribe, we are talking about life imprisonment(marriage) here not tribe. I don't mind marrying from any part of the country if i ask myself questions above.

11 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Obinnau(m): 7:08am On Apr 29, 2016
Your happiness, your life.
You are the manager of your life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Raiders: 8:24am On Apr 29, 2016
Why should you allow your parents choose the girl you want to marry? Are still a kid

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Millz404(m): 10:39am On Apr 29, 2016
Let's wait for the elders.... I bought this plot of land to sit on and learn
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Bsc(m): 10:39am On Apr 29, 2016
Am considering that too... Mine is that..I grew up outside my home town..am lost with my culture even in terms of language.. I need restoration for the sake of my children unborn..

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
olihilistic:
smelling nonsense

Only Ibos ask these kinds of questions

15 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by MadCow1: 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
No....

Dont taint other tribes with the foolishness in your DNA.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by whirlwind7(m): 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
Blackberrybabes:

But why are our parents always particular about tribes when we are all one Nigeria. There was this time this Tanzanian lady came to our office and it wasn’t until when she mentioned that she was from that country before we realized she wasn’t a Nigerian. She looked so much like a Nigerian. This is just to tell that we are all one and we should not be judged by our tribes, but by the contents of our hearts, individually.

After the lengthy tale, this is what your epistle boils down to. Thank goodness you finally got to the crux of the issue. The story could have induced coma. tongue Just joking.

Well, yes, you can marry from whatever tribe you find love. Inter tribal marriage is such a beautiful thing. Just as you would love to marry a Tanzanian, Camerounian, Angolan, kenyan...whoever.
But talking about one Nigeria, and marrying someone "because we are one Nigeria" is as lame as it is not functional. I prefer you say we are all Africans. Nigeria has tried to be one, but it hasn't worked out, and it will never work. we are officially regarded as a country because it still serves the interest of the political class and their acolytes. The Nigeria project has not served or bettered the lot of the average man in the street.

Sorry for bringing a political undertone into it. But you started it when you used the term "one Nigeria" That phrase is the biggest fraud everyone inside that geographical entity has been subjected to. And it is exactly due to this fraud that many parents would feel concerned about inter tribal marriage, because an Igbo guy, for instance, saying he wants to marry an Idoma, or Hausa, or Yoruba, or Jukun, or Ibibio, or Tiv, or Berom, is almost same like saying he wants to marry a Ghanian, or Malian, or Sudanese, or Moroccan.

The "oneness" of Nigeria is mere fallacy.

25 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Deivid10(m): 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
People will underestimate you, prove them wrong. #look now on www.zagiworld.com #allthingsfiery #arewethereyet #fashion #fashionista #fashionbloggers #blog #blogger #fashiondesigner #style #stylelook #ootdmagazine #arewapeople
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Ezeibe(m): 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
I think u are in a better position to answer that, there are a lot of things to consider when going into this higher institution called marriage...

You are still with the yam & knife

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
YES if there are good reasons
NO if there are good objections

"what an elder sees while sitting down, children can never see even if they climb a tree"
- African Proverb
Different culture.....different reliqion......different mentality!!!!!

I curse 1914 cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by charles316: 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
Yeah
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by friendly101: 10:40am On Apr 29, 2016
garfield16:

Only Ibos ask these kinds of questions

u are right......... wink

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by kelvyn7: 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
shocked

YES!

- TEAM INTER-TRIBAL
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by LivingDiamond(m): 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
Ok
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by babs01(m): 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
Ikegift4real:
it all boils down compatibility.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Owliver(m): 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Angelb4: 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
People ask some useless questions in recent times on NAIRALAND. Why asking us, don't you know what you want

3 Likes

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by stainlex(m): 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
Your life to live bro.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by guywitzerogal(m): 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
I beta marry a village girl of my tribe Dan marrying an adulterous tribe Jst sayin..... No body in mind
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Politicalidiot: 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
I will put this in quote to show how serious this is -

Whatever an elder sees sitting down, a young man will have to climb a tall tree to get a glimpse. The Op has shown he is a very SILLY child and of all the 3 advises offered him, he had made up his mind ab initio that he was not going to heed them. With this kind of attitude, he surely won't go far in life at all. This is the real issue here.

About the tribal issue, its very relevant to marry from your tribe. No matter wat, ones tribe always have a way of determining ones life output and outlook. e.g Igbos and business. Marriage is already hard in itself. Dealing with a tribe you do not understand is one less headache to bear.

God was not stupid when he explicitly commanded the Israelites not to marry the Cannanites.

In another news, the University of Lagos Is Evicting All Its Students From Its Hostels So We Did This -
https://www.nairaland.com/3074056/university-lagos-evicting-students-came#45116231

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Siddeek: 10:41am On Apr 29, 2016
Obinnau:
Your happiness, your life. You are the manager of your life.
fool
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by maxit2(m): 10:42am On Apr 29, 2016
yeye
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 29, 2016
I see no reason why tribe should be your problem in choosing a wife.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Hillzy(m): 10:42am On Apr 29, 2016
Be'cos dey feel if u marry ur tribe girl is best n u guyz will understd urself's much more beta n which is neva true

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Best Gift To Give Your Partner This Valentine / When Your Partner Feels You Are Too Much For Him? / Fun Game; Ask For Sex Without Using The Word Sex Or F*ck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.