Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Hair Questions! Post Them Here - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Hair Questions! Post Them Here (37113 Views)

The 2 Most Popular Hair Questions.. I Guess / Got/want Cute Ankara Styles, Post Them Up! / Fashion ~ Beauty & Grooming Tips : Post Them Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 12:29am On Aug 10, 2009
I am fairly knowledgeable in hair - Natural hair, extensions, and wigs, Post your questions here.
Questions regarding growing your hair; wearing extensions, styles etc, post them here!
This will be good for anyone else to drop some knowledge here. I will post information here on growing your hair tomorow!

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 10, 2009
Where have you been in all this pasts months of my life.

Been asking so much questions.

Okay, what kinda spray can I use tht'd make my hair stay up and look natural.

I also want to color the tips of my hair but peeps keeps trying to talk me out of it. Is it true that it damages and breaks hair/ undecided
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 12:52am On Aug 10, 2009
Coloring will ultimately damage your hair, the safest way to color is to use Demi Permanent hair color. I recommend Loreal Color Gems or Wella Color Charms. If you do lighten/bleach your hair, you have to be very vigilant and moisturize constantly!

Here is a great blog about Color:
http://killerstrands..com/

Not sure what you mean about staying up and natural - Please explain, or post a picture of the look you are going for!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 1:02am On Aug 10, 2009
Nappy

From this To This

Or something closed to that embarassed grin

Moisturize colored hair? Constantly? Oga o.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 1:07am On Aug 10, 2009
Gators: are you relaxed? If yes, its not happening! lol,
The only thing I can advice is a two strand twist, which looks like this
http://indulgenceiskey..com/2009/02/two-strand-twists-meets-flexi-rods.html

I like this style,

Yes oh! you have to moisturize daily, its not bad, and it keeps your hair soft and healthy!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 10, 2009
*tears* Not. . . .Not happening?

Moisturizers? Conditioners, right? Got any to reccomend?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 1:16am On Aug 10, 2009
Since I can not sleep -- let me add my Grow your hair long tips!
If you have any questions about any of the products or steps listed, let me know.
The first step is to make sure your shampoos(poo) and conditioners (con) does not have sulfate. Sulfate is bad for your hair,

I do not use poo anymore, I mainly condition wash my hair.but if you have to use poo then I will recommend the following product line:

Recommended Sampoo and Conditioners
Aveeda
Abba
Giovanni
Burts Bee
PUREOLOGY
SEXY HAIR- 'Healthy Sexy Soy Milk Chocolate'

I use Aveeda or Giovanni or Abba Personally
Second step:
Do not be afraid of water, u have to wash your hair at least once a week. at the lattest 2 weeks, and at the most 3 days a week. I wash my hair every sunday.

Third Step:
Deep condition, you have to deep condition once a week.
this is the steps I take:

I use Lekair or queen helene's cholesterol
you can add egg, or 1 table spoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of castor oil to it. I add 100% natural coconut oil to mine.

I slather it on my hair and use a bonnet dryer for about 45 minutes. I sit with a shower cap on for about another 30 to 45 mins. depending on time.

after this, I go and wash my hair.

Step 4.

you need a good clarifying shampoo to rid your hair of product build ups!
I do not have one, I use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) which does the same thing.
I use this once a week. this is the last thing I do, I just dilute it with a little cold water, pour it on my hair, and rinse with cold water.

If you do not want to use ACV here are a list of other clarifying poo's:

Frederic Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo
Pantene Pro-V Purity Clarifying Shampoo
Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo
Herbal Essence Clarifying shampoo

Step 5: Protein treatments
I do this once every three to four months(when I take my weave out) you can do this every 2 to 3 months,
here are some good Protein treatments:

ApHOGEE Treatment for Damaged Hair(cheap- this is what I use, although I read somewhere recently that they have changed the ingredients and its not as good as it used to be)
http://www.folica.com/ApHOGEE_Treatme_d115.html
Dudley DCR 28
Motions CPR
Aubrey Organics GPB
Affirm 5-n-1 Reconstructor

Daily care:

its best to moisturize your hair on a daily basis.
I use either Nexxus Humectress or Curl Free Gold Activator (yes, its jerry curl juice) to moisturize. you have to use oil to seal the moisture in. I use EVOO or coconut oil. Evoo is a little lighter so its good for daily use

other good daily moisturizer: (make sure the first ingrident in your product is water)
Neutrogena triple moisture leave in conditioner
Joico
Organic Root Stimulator Carrot oil creme moisturizer
SheaMoisture Sheabutter leave-in

Tips:

Try not to manipulate your hair too much- Do not comb too much; pull on it. Always use wide tooth comb to comb your hair, use a Denman brush to de-tangle.
Use as little heat as possible, stay away from daily flat ironing- use rollers instead.
Try to do a lot protective style (sew in weaves, wigs, buns, braids healthy ponytails (not too tight) scarves etc.
Use Fantasia IC styling gel instead of the regular Gel.
Stay away from products with Alchol, sulfate etc.
Glycerin, aloe vera, and peppermint are good for your hair. I buy natural oil from Amazon, my next thing is to massage my temple and nape area with peppermint oil at least twice a week.

DO NOT OVER PROCESS YOUR HAIR!!!
If you are relaxed, please keep relaxing to a minimum. Do not over process, use Vaseline, oil, or grease to coat already process hair, that way you reduce the risk of over processing. It takes about 2 to 3 days for your hair to return to its ph balance level afer chemical processing so in that three days, stay away from heat etc.
Always wash your hair 4 to 8 times after relaxing and use a clarifing poo afterwards. Do not leave the relaxer in for too long, this will damage your hair. i basically relaxe my hair 80%!!! I do not let it stay in too long, my hair is more of a looser curl than a straight texture after relaxing.

I perm my hair every 3 to 4 months, I can get away with this, cause I wear weaves(protective style). if you can not wait that long, at least wait 2 months.

Baggie for your ends and your hair:
I also baggie my hair to keep it healthy and strong.
this how I baggie:
I put my hair in a ponytail, I put CFCG and seal with oil (evoo) and I put it in a bag(sandwich bag) and wrap a scrunchie around it. (i will post pic if you want to see) I sleep with the baggie, in the morning you wake up with nice, soft, easy to manage hair.

you can also baggie your whole head if you want, I do not, but some pple do. its just a matter of putting in moisturizer, seal with oil, and put a shower cap on it, let it sit overnight or a couple of hours. no heat.

if you do not have a protective style, you should baggie daily or at least 3 times a week.

Supplements- you need a supplement, you may just get, skin, hair and nails(From GNC) or pple use MSM,
I use one a day.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 1:26am On Aug 10, 2009
I use Lekair, it works well.

Should I mix Castor Oil cream to Lekair conditioner?

What is "baggie"?

I havent permed my hair since April, should I perm it? What if I sudden stop perming? undecided Whatz the effect?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 1:34am On Aug 10, 2009
Baggie - its a way to moisturize your ends, it keeps your ends from breaking, I would do this once a week
Here is how I baggie:
put my hair in a ponytail, I put CFCG and seal with oil (Extra virgin Olive Oil, or Coconut Oil) and I put it in a bag(sandwich bag) and wrap a scrunchie around it. (i will post pic if you want to see) I sleep with the baggie, in the morning you wake up with nice, soft, easy to manage hair.

you can also baggie your whole head if you want, I do not, but some pple do. its just a matter of putting in moisturizer, seal with oil, and put a shower cap on it, let it sit overnight or a couple of hours. no heat.

Actually thats what I did, I just stopped relaxing my hair -- but I used extensions (sew in weaves) to protect my hair, I trimmed the ends every 2 months to cut off the relaxed ends - It was hard at first, because the relaxed ends was causing my hair to tangle at some point, I ended up cutting it all off about 3 months ago! My hair is super healthy and strong! All Natural.

I would not mix the castor oil with conditioner, I would use it separately

1 Like

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 10, 2009
What's CCFG?

Yes, post a pix plz.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 1:44am On Aug 10, 2009
CFCG is Curl Free Gold - Image attached

Here is what Baggie'ing looks like:
http://www.coarsehairdiary.com/2007/09/baggy-method.html

Gator, I know this sounds like a lot, however, if you do it for a month, you will see the difference in your hairs health! And you will figure out what works for your hair and what does not, I really like using natural/organic products for my hair.

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 10, 2009
Lol, itz ok.

Thanks for the site, bookmarked!

So how do you tell which product is organic? Imean, not all product with the label organic are actually organic.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 1:58am On Aug 10, 2009
Things like:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Peppermint Oil
Coconut Oil - 100% natural
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Baking Soda
Burts Bee
Shea Butter - Ori
Chi Organics
Aloe Vera
Vegetable Glycerin
Whole Foods has lots of Organics products too! Do not be afraid to try new things, also, dont label things as white pples products, or black pples products.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 2:01am On Aug 10, 2009
Cantu products nko?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 2:08am On Aug 10, 2009
I do not like Cantu Products, I personally do not like most products that are "made for black women" as most are filled with sulfates! When you are looking to purchase a product look at the ingredients.

Products I hate:
Cantu
Dr Miracle
Pink Oil moisturizer
Pantene
Dove
Oil Sheen, I hate Oil sheen in general, I prefer Serums,

I also love Chi Organics,

1 Like

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 2:10am On Aug 10, 2009
But Cantu smells so good
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 5:45am On Aug 10, 2009
do you use protein treatments?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by omonija1(f): 8:33am On Aug 10, 2009
Question

I've been natural for about a year and I've noticed that when I fix weave in my hair, I get bumps on my scalp( usually in the back).I've never experience this when I had permed hair, even when i was transitioning
The braid is not tight because I do it myself and do not braid tight. What could be the cause of this?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2009
@ Sissy- yes, I use Aphogee Protein treatment - it helps to strenghten your strands.

@omonaija - You may think the braid is not tight, however you may be putting undue pressure to the hair, bumbs are bad! do you add extensions to the braids? maybe the weight of the weave is causing the stress- I suggest, using a warm towel whenever you feel the bumps, add shea butter(Ori) to treat.

@ Gators - Just say No to Cantu! I personally did not like it! Use Sexy hair chocolate products for scent. Or just add pepermint oil to your products!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 12:50am On Aug 11, 2009
how often do you use it? i heard  it's especially good when used like a week b4 relaxing?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 2:29am On Aug 11, 2009
Sissy, you only need the protein treatment once every 2-3 months. Its good as it strengthens your hair.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by bluespice(f): 3:10am On Aug 11, 2009
laniks
im trasitioning
really letting my hair grow out on its own
im down to the last few relaxed bits and im feeling good with myself
now the simple question
what do i use n not use also what do i do to have long n healthy natural hair?

see i said one question tongue
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 4:39pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ Blue

When I transitioned– the whole thing was about a year, I clipped my ralxed ends every two to three months – at some point I had more natural hair than relaxed hair and it was causing my hair to tangle ridiculously, I finally had to snip all the relaxed ends off!

The most important thing is to not thug, and pull on your hair, don’t use those small tooth combs to comb your hair! Your hair is fragile, although it may not look it, it is, treat it like you would silk!

Here are some tips!
1. Moisturize daily - -Its easy, you can spray with Curl Free Gold, and seal with some sort of oil, use Coconut oil, or Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2. Use protein treatment every two to three months
3. Find protective styles, this is to protect your hair while it grows, ponytails, two strand twists, braids wigs, extensions are all examples of protective style. I use extensions (sew-in) as a protective method! Hide your hair while it grows!
4. Use a supplement. Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin E etc, are all good supplements!
5. If you want you can use a growth aid, ex. Ovation - http://www.ovationhair.com/
6. Minimal Heat, try not to use Heat on your hair! Heat is damaging – it will kill your natural hair! Whenever you use heat, make sure you are using a ceramic iron, and use a heat protectant serum
7. stay away from products with Alcohol and sulfates!

We should have a growth challenge on here! It will be fun!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by bluespice(f): 7:56pm On Aug 11, 2009
okay i dont know where to get that curl free gold thingy
any other moisturizers i can use?
and my fro is still too short for a pony tail or a two-strand braid on its own
okay. . . extensions it is

thanks smiley

okay one more question
when im in the hair products aisle of any store, im barraged with different products that claim to cater to different textures of hair
all i know about my hair is that its naturally extremely curly
how do i know if my hair is coarse, damaged,. . . .u know embarassed undecided
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 9:24pm On Aug 11, 2009
@blue
You can get Curl Free Gold in any store, walgreens; duane reade etc

The most important to know is that you do not want products with alchol, sulfates etc, you want your product to have:
water; glycerin, as #1 and #2 listed on the ingredients list. You can also make your own products! this is another topic though!

I love this site for hair like us
http://tightlycurly.com/Welcome.aspx
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by amosexy: 9:47pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ poster
I've bin on locks close to 2yrs nao but recently i noticed the colour changed in my hair ,it was nt as dark as b4. wat could be d cause plz?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by bluespice(f): 1:09am On Aug 12, 2009
laniks, aint no walgreens or duane reade where i live sad
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 12, 2009
laniks:

@ Gators - Just say No to Cantu! I personally did not like it! Use Sexy hair chocolate products for scent. Or just add pepermint oil to your products!
I was just at walmart and walgreens today, and I didnt see it. Where can I buy Sexy Hair chocolate products or perpermint oil?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 12, 2009
bluespice:

laniks, aint no walgreens or duane reade where i live sad
If no store around you have it, google it up and buy it online.

Do you have a CVS or hairsaloon around you?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 6:44pm On Aug 12, 2009
I normally buy my hair products online- at Amazon.com
I also purchase hair products at discount stores like:
Tjmaxx
Ross
Marshalls

I was at TJMaxx yesterday and spent about $200 on hair products!

I buy Sexxy hair products at TJMaxx you can also purchase on Amazon, aveeda products can be purchased on their site, or on FOlica.com

@amosexy
Are you in the sun a lot? Do you use a lot of products? How clean is your hair?
Also, your hair could be too porous! You may want to try a porosity shampoo!

Here is a good resources for hair!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=5863de487f00995fb7a316d9686573e0&f=6

( I need to learn how to quote on this site)
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by bluespice(f): 10:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
gators, hair salons are next to air
they that many
but as many as they are, less than 1% understand english
and less than 1% of that 1% have dealt with african hair
uhn uhn i aint 'bout to let amateurs touch my hair
one amateur hand- mine is many enough
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 2:46am On Aug 13, 2009
bluespice:

gators, hair salons are next to air
they that many
but as many as they are, less than 1% understand english
and less than 1% of that 1% have dealt with african hair
uhn uhn i aint 'bout to let amateurs touch my hair
one amateur hand- mine is many enough
Same thing my friend said, she told me not to take my hair to the saloon around here. There ain't no black saloon here, no jokes undecided Well mybe around my area sha.

1. Would you consider Olive Oil styling gel as Organic?
2. If not, what gel would you reccomend that would not stick, dry, itch and untidy?

3. Split ends problem, what do I do? undecided I know you'd say "cut it", but how do I prevent it next time cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ladies Would You Rock This Style / Why Do Some Nigerian Men Bleach Their Skin? / "Why I Feel Sympathy For Ladies Who Bleach"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.