Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,537 members, 7,801,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew (1525 Views)

I Never Knew That Grammar Can Kill Until I Watched This / Amazing Facts / I Thought I Knew How To Pose Until I Saw These Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 30, 2016
Africa is indisputably a beautiful continent, little wonder why the colonial masters scrambled for power in the continent like termites to a light bulb. Well in addition to the breathtaking beauty of the continent, Africa has other array of incredibilities, incredible facts that would give you the OHs and the WOWs . Here are some ear tingling, interesting facts about Africa, well you can call it the Africa’s trivia:

1. Graca Machel

Graca Machel is the only woman that has ever held the position of a first lady of two different countries; Mozambique and South Africa. Wow wondering how she pulled that off! definitely has a penchant for leadership.

2. The Use Of Flamethrowers In SA

In South Africa it is legal to attach flamethrowers to cars so as to deter car hijacking. Lol I think car hijackers in South Africa should always have fire extinguishers in handy.

3. The Land Of Gold

Witwatersrand, South Africa is the origin of almost half of the gold ever mined on Earth. Wow I guess we can call it the promised land flowing with golden milk and honey… lol

4. Idi Amin

The official title of Idi Amin, the Ugandan dictator, was “His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular”. Hmmmm, wondering if it’s just me? but I’ve this strong conviction that he was Power-sick!

5. The Libya Flag

Libya’s current flag, introduced in 2011 after Gaddafi’s government was overthrown , is a red-black-green triband featuring a white star and crescent. Although, from 1977 to 2011, Libya had a single colour for it’s flag, with no designs, insignias or other details and was the only country with such a flag. Gaddafi chose it because it symbolized both Islam and his political principles which are according to his Green Book. Kinda strange I’ll say.

6. The Strait of Gibraltar

At the Strait of Gibraltar, Africa and Europe are separated by less than 9 miles_ separating Spain from Morocco. The two countries are talking on constructing an undersea rail tunnel to link the rail systems in Africa and Europe. I suppose is possible to reside in Africa and commute daily to work in Europe…cool isn’t it?

7. The World’s Oldest Alphabet

The world’s oldest alphabet called Ethiopic is found in Ethiopia and probably one of the longest with 345 letters! Like seriously?

8. The word “Crossword”

The word “Crossword” in Kiswahili, a language spoken mainly by people in eastern and central Africa is “chemshebongo” which, when translated, means “boil brains”. I suppose it’s wise one gets ice to cool the brain when doing crossword puzzle_ it’s your brain’s health we’re talking about here… lol

9. The World’s Biggest Frog

The world’s biggest frog is found in Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon. It’s called the Goliath frog, it can grow as long as a foot and weighs up to 8lb. You know am beginning to wonder about the possibility of a David frog.

10. Pyramids In Sudan

Sudan has more than 200 pyramids, double the number found in Egypt. The Meroe pyramids were part of the Nubian Kingdom of Kush and are up to 4,600 years old. Hmmm, how epic.

11. The Oldest University In The World

The home of the oldest university in the world is Timbuktu, Mali, established in 982 CE. By the 12th century, the city was such an intellectual hub that National Geographic has referred to it as the Paris of the medieval world. Wow that was brainy.

Yeah, and there they are , I guess you owe me a dime! Right? Well never mind.

Source : http://applehum.com/2016/04/25/10-amazing-facts-africa-bet-last-dime-never-knew/

1 Like

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by allytinted: 1:02pm On Apr 30, 2016
Educative....thanks OP

1 Like

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by rerhji(m): 1:02pm On Apr 30, 2016
good to knw dis

1 Like

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by BurnaKing21: 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2016
intelligent... kudos %100

1 Like

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by ayodotcom(m): 1:30pm On Apr 30, 2016
Wow, amazing and informative

1 Like

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by DonEffiong(m): 1:55pm On Apr 30, 2016
waow

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by ExAngel007(f): 3:01pm On Apr 30, 2016
nice info OP
Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by emotions1: 3:33pm On Apr 30, 2016
OP.....you have done well....
since you are not married
I have given you this Aunty above me.

Please take her there....grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by Flygeriansteve: 5:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
If this isn't copied, put it on listverse and get paid for it
Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by enoqueen: 6:09pm On Apr 30, 2016
Interesting.
Re: 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew by theshaderoom: 9:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
OP thanks for the info

(1) (Reply)

Life Cycle Of Every Engineering Students / Before and after Satan Became A Planning Commitee member of beauty pageant / Video: Mark Angel TV – The Kidney (mazi Nduka ) ( Episode 001 )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.