Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) (1260 Views)

Saudi Arabia And Its New Found Hypocrisy / 2.5million: Crowd Marching Against Trump In The U.S. (photos). / Donald Trump And The Hypocrisy And Shallowness Of Evangelical Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by Deadlytruth(m): 12:56pm On Apr 30, 2016
Most Nigerians hate Donald Trump majorly because of his repeated threats to deport Nigerians living in the US if elected president. His main premise is that those Nigerians compete with Americans for few available jobs and their willingness to offer cheaper labour gives them an edge over their American citizens in job seeking competitions.
This has earned him a very loathsome perception in the eyes of most Nigerians. Some call him a pig, others call him a racist, etc.
However, this hatred for Trump is nothing but stark naked hypocrisy on the part of Nigerians. In the second republic times of NPN regime government headed by Shagari the government became so morally depraved and degenerate that it made a policy to chase Ghanaians out of Nigeria. The policy was code named Ghana-Must-Go and premised on the same micro-economic competition theory on which Donald Trump too has premised his.
The difference however is that while Donald Trump, a white American , seeks to deport, A group of Africans home; Nigeria under NPN deported fellow Africans back home despite these fellow Africans did not commit any crime against the Nigerian state. And the reason of economic competition cited by the NPN regime was at best spurious and untenable because the hardship in question then was caused by the corruption and looting being perpetrated by the government itself under Shagari.
I know Nigerians are quick to moralize issues like this by saying two wrongs don't make a right. Agreed quite alright, but not when the first offender still takes pride in his own wrong. How do I mean? Despite how derogatory the code name Ghana-must-Go was to Ghanaians we have preserved it in our diction till today and have even changed the meaning to an even more retrograde use as a euphemism for bribery especially in the legislative chambers. Shamelessly Nigerians now flood the same Ghana to school, import (entreport business), etc. However Donald Trump's position has nothing to do with vengeance against us but more about survival of the US the same way we too believed our survival was guaranteed with Ghanaians out of Nigeria. What goes around, they say, comes around.
Re: Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 30, 2016
What Shagari did & u said 'we' did. Was that even in NPN manifesto or Shagari's campaign speeches? Moreover, ur version of dat history is far different from d one i know: i heard d Ghanaians were notorious for unnamable immoralities (not a justification though)
Re: Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by Poseidon000: 6:28pm On Apr 30, 2016
[size=13pt]
When I first saw this article. I wanted to ignore and dismiss as another balderdash from US local politics which is last of my concern, but for the fact you decided to slanderously enmesh nigeria in your ill-informed article. I think it is paramount that I address the malodorous insipidity that your article exudes, and also try and curtial the contegious and infectious ignorance that this thread potently emits.

I don't have strength to 'type', so I'll repost one of my comment I used to address one of your ilk.

[/size]

Poseidon000:
[size=13pt][b]
I'm not gifted with much time at this moment, but I will try my best to address your assertion/question.

It is quit funny seeing ghanians in a smear campaign against nigeria in an overflogged issue,especially when ghanians are guilty of that exact thing they accuse nigeria of. Infact, in an inhuman way.

Let's go down history lane. After our independence on 1 oct 1960. Nigeria was lyk a baby trying to make meaning of life and it environment in the heat of economic hardship and acute poverty. lot of nigerians tried to find succour in the bosom of a brother(ghana) who was opportuned to have independence before us and was privileged with an organized system that is capable of rendering help to her "not that well to do" brother(nigeria).

What did ghana do? It deported over 2 million nigerians seeking economic assylum, under the mantra of "illegal immigrant", and instructed her citizen not to buy any property nigerians acquired during their hustle in ghana(indirect extortion),cos ghanians went behind and claimed all possession of nigerian deportes. This left the deported nigerians with nothing to start life with. This to me is the height of wickedness which international community didn't blink twice or condemn.
We accepted faith with maturity. Fast forward to the 80's when we discovered oil in nigeria. Ghanians started trooping illegally to nigeria in high number.
Nobody gave a hoot,cos as a big brother we consider ghana a brother,considering our cultural and ethnic ties, But things changed when there was an assassination attempt on our then vice president (Alex ekwueme), And large percentage of the culprit were ghanians. This brought ghanian illegal immigrant under the attention radia of our then second civilian government headed by shagari. What followed next was deportation of over 1million ghanians. I don't subscribe to vendetta,neither do I consider the action of the then administration has vendetta,cos the deportation wasn't solely base on the assassination attempt. It also has to do with the heat on our economy, suffering from the fall of oil price.
Lot of immigrants lyk
chad,benin,niger and cameroon, were effected too. I can categorically say that the action of our then government wasn't vindictive.

I know lot of ghanians have bad blood for nigeria bcs of the term "GHANA must GO". You see my frnd, we don't have unfavourable opine of ghana. that is unequivocally overt.
The name was coined from the fact that nigerian government insisted that illegal ghanians immigrants must go back to their home country. this stand was in defiance to the then opposition which rejected the move to deport ghanians.
So nigerians named a bag which our then government provided for ghanians to make easy for the mobility of their luggages, "ghana must go", since it's a government oriented move.

So my friend, slough the perception that nigerians are xenophobic or we don't have favourable view of ghanians/foreigner's.
Nigeria is the best country that condone hogwash from foreigher's.

Atimes i wish the opposite.

www.nairaland.com/2855715/what-it-nigerians-obsession-south/1#41867914

[/b][/size]

[size=13pt]

Lest I forget; no need to surreptitiously circumvent your hate for nigeria under the aegis of western politics. Stick to your gun, cos It's a futile quest trying to blackmail us.
[/size]
Re: Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by Deadlytruth(m): 10:02pm On Apr 30, 2016
Poseidon000:
[size=13pt]
When I first saw this article. I wanted to ignore and dismiss as another balderdash from US local politics which is last of my concern, but for the fact you decided to slanderously enmesh nigeria in your ill-informed article. I think it is paramount that I address the malodorous insipidity that your article exudes, and also try and curtial the contegious and infectious ignorance that this thread potently emits.

I don't have strength to 'type', so I'll repost one of my comment I used to address one of your ilk.

[/size]

[size=13pt]

Lest I forget; no need to surreptitiously circumvent your hate for nigeria under the aegis of western politics. Stick to your gun, cos It's a futile quest trying to blackmail us.
[/size]

You have actually said nothing. If Nigeria was morally justified to send out all Ghanaians for the sin of a few then why are Nigerians flooding Ghana again presently in search of business opportunities and university education? won't Ghanaians try to assassinate them again? Are some few Nigerians not committing different crimes in America and Europe for which all Nigerians deserve to be sent back home if we are to follow your logic of justifying Shagari's visitation of the sin of a few guilty on many innocents?

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by cyprus000: 12:34am On May 20, 2016
Deadlytruth:

You have actually said nothing. If Nigeria was morally justified to send out all Ghanaians for the sin of a few then why are Nigerians flooding Ghana again presently in search of business opportunities and university education? won't Ghanaians try to assassinate them again? Are some few Nigerians not committing different crimes in America and Europe for which all Nigerians deserve to be sent back home if we are to follow your logic of justifying Shagari's visitation of the sin of a few guilty on many innocents?
[size=13pt]
Yes, its 'nothing' cos the truth is too raw for you to digest.

I think I made my position clear as regads to shagari's action.
That said. its very gud you brought a new 'logic' to the table.
Why are Ghanians whining like a two months old baby when they weren't the only people deported? Why isn't Chad,Benin,niger,cameroon etc whining.

Who is the real hypocrite here, please? Nigerians who have put the past behind them, or ghanians who don't fail to tell anyone who care to listen how they were deported for economic and security good of their host country(Nigeria) while they're execrably guilty of same thing they accuse Nigeria of

Mr man, stop viewing things with binocular of sentiment.
BTW, if you think I'll embroil myself in game of comparison. you're dead wrong. That is for kids.
[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by iamord(m): 1:44am On May 20, 2016
Poseidon000:
[size=13pt]

[/size]

[size=13pt]

[/size]

With Nigerians turning the Ghana must go word into an everyday vocabulary. It's evident that it's Nigeria flogging the issue and needs to do some growing up
Re: Donald Trump In Ghana-must-go. (A Recent Hypocrisy Of Nigerians) by cyprus000: 12:39am On May 24, 2016
iamord:

With Nigerians turning the Ghana must go word into an everyday vocabulary. It's evident that it's Nigeria flogging the issue and needs to do some growing up
[size=13pt]
Seem you didn't deduce my assertion. Read again, maybe you'll comprehend reason why its in our vocab.

Ghana is the one that needs growing up, cos its the one reading meaning where There's none. Don't you think?

Sentiment apart.
[/size]

(1) (Reply)

After Missile Test, War Of Words Erupts Between Trump And Iran / US Diplomat Is Arrested In Nairobi For Drawing Gun On Driver In Traffic Clash. / Prince philip husband of quuen elizabeth Is Dead Aged 95

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.