Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,641 members, 7,801,866 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (43832 Views)

What Comedy/sitcom/romantic Comedy TV Series Are You Watching Right Now? / Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 6:26pm On May 01, 2016
Redman44:
Madam Kofo was 'Madam De Madam' in Basi and Company, shey?

I hope I am right. Madam Kofo was also in 'Second Chance' which was a Sitcom about Adult Education. 'Second Chance' was also Popular in the Mid to Late 80's on NTA Network. I have attached the picture of Madam Kofo here. Cheers.
It's a matter of cash! I remember those skyscraper geles cheesy
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by armadeo(m): 6:28pm On May 01, 2016
Alali always said, madam is mean and petty. Mean and petty.

Madam the madam

its a matter of cash

Proud Macedonian,

cash is power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by TheArchangel(f): 7:03pm On May 01, 2016
Rapmoney:
SS2? Take it easy when you tell lies!!! angry
He wants to be part of the flow grin grin.
Class 4 or 5 will do, Oga liar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deekseen(m): 7:13pm On May 01, 2016
komek:

Old man
Oga, i never old o. I loved the sitcom those days and stayed glue to the tv whenever it was on air.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Xmen149(m): 7:17pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:
1) Basi

2) Zulu Adigwe (I didn't quite get used to him. I always preferred the person that acted that role before him. He didn't quite get the Mr B walk).

3) Albert Egbe (I first saw him in Jagua Nana's daughter in 1987. He acted alongside Richard Mofe-Damijo and Chinua Achebe's daughter. That was also the first time that I saw Richard Mofe Damijo [he was credited as Evans Mofe Damijo).

4) Basi And Company (8pm on NTA Network from c1988-1990).

5) It was written by Ken Saro Wiwa. He later published a couple of books that were based on the sitcom (I still have one of them). There were many clues within the sitcom that he was the one that wrote it. The most popular beer at Dandy's bar was called Saros Beer and I think there was an episode that featured a bank called Saros Bank.

madam the madam.....its a matter of cash!

Mildred Iweka was (of course) my favourite Segi.

Basi And Company (The Transistor Radio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc1ujHlA5MY
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Emmysteve(m): 7:28pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:
1) Basi

2) Zulu Adigwe (I didn't quite get used to him. I always preferred the person that acted that role before him. He didn't quite get the Mr B walk).

3) Albert Egbe (I first saw him in Jagua Nana's daughter in 1987. He acted alongside Richard Mofe-Damijo and Chinua Achebe's daughter. That was also the first time that I saw Richard Mofe Damijo [he was credited as Evans Mofe Damijo).

5) It was written by Ken Saro Wiwa. He later published a couple of books that were based on the sitcom (I still have one of them). There were many clues within the sitcom that he was the one that wrote it. The most popular beer at Dandy's bar was called Saros Beer and I think there was an episode that featured a bank called Saros Bank.

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by kuuljay(m): 7:36pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:
1) Basi

guy you don chop plenty christmas grin grin am sure you know about cock crow at dawn too
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by kuuljay(m): 7:40pm On May 01, 2016
There is this other guy who always replies " I should have known that" can anyone remember? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deekseen(m): 7:50pm On May 01, 2016
kuuljay:
There is this other guy who always replies " I should have known that" can anyone remember? grin grin grin
That's Dandy, the one that runs a bar. "Hell, I should have known that".

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 8:03pm On May 01, 2016
kuuljay:
guy you don chop plenty christmas grin grin am sure you know about cock crow at dawn too

Ishilove check this out. Nairaland word censor strikes again! CockCrow At Dawn = Cock Crow At Dawn.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deekseen(m): 8:14pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:

Ishilove check this out. Nairaland word censor strikes again! CockCrow At Dawn = Cock Crow At Dawn.
Lol at rooster. I didn't see much of it though, too small to remember much. Though I recall Sadiq Daba and the theme song by Bongos Ikwe.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by kuuljay(m): 8:16pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:

bros I didn't even noticed,why d fuk did they change the name of rooster,are we in nursery school
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by kuuljay(m): 8:18pm On May 01, 2016
deekseen:
That's Dandy, the one that runs a bar. "Hell, I should have known that".

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 8:31pm On May 01, 2016
2sexycom:
madam kofo cheesy

Redman44:
Madam Kofo was 'Madam De Madam' in Basi and Company, shey?

I hope I am right. Madam Kofo was also in 'Second Chance' which was a Sitcom about Adult Education. 'Second Chance' was also Popular in the Mid to Late 80's on NTA Network. I have attached the picture of Madam Kofo here. Cheers.

Ishilove:

It's a matter of cash! I remember those skyscraper geles cheesy

Madam The Madam in Basi And Company is different from Madam Kofo in Second Chance (NTA c1984-1989). Second Chance was the nigerian version of Mind Your Language.

Madam The Madam (in Basi And Company) was a member of the American Doller Club and was Basi's landlady. Her catch phrase (when people hailed her with the words Madam The Madam) was "It's a matter of cash". The role was played by Aso Douglas.

Madam Kofo (in Second Chance) was a wealthy clothes trader. She was noted for her extravagant gele. The role was played by Abiola Atanda who actually took up the job of tying gele professionally in the late 1990s and was a Glo ambassador in the mid to late 2000s.

Second chance had actors like:

Funso Alabi as Teacher Gyang

The great Tony St Iyke as Okonkwo (he also did a lot of adverts, including that famous UBA advert). Okonkwo was an igbo businessman

Isaac Ijoma as Anuka the igbo mechanic and spare parts trader. Ijoma Isaac was also the president of the association of voice over actors of Nigeria. He did most of the pidgin English adverts on radio.

Rolly the waffi girl (she was kind of like Danielle in Mind Your Language. Everybody was attracted to her).

Mallam Bello the butcher.

James Johnson Fyne Face (the comical character that was attracted to Rolly)

Etc.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Electroweb(m): 8:32pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:
1) Basi

Bros if you actually thought of the answers from your head then you Were born in the early 70s. Nice one.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 8:36pm On May 01, 2016
kuuljay:
bros I didn't even noticed,why d fuk did they change the name of rooster,are we in nursery school

I've been a victim of that thing so many times. I'll type Cock and the word censor will change it to rooster, so I learnt to type both words together CockCrow. It also gives me problems when I want to type DickTiger. Dick Tiger.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 8:43pm On May 01, 2016
deekseen:
Lol at rooster. I didn't see much of it though, too small to remember much. Though I recall Sadiq Daba and the theme song by Bongos Ikwe.

That was the first of the Jos school of programmes that I ever watched (it was started in 1980). In the 1980s we had the Lagos programmes, the Kaduna programmes, the Enugu programmes, etc, but the Jos school of programmes was the best. They gave us great shows like:

CockCrow At Dawn
Telemovie
Behind The Clouds
Etc

And produced fantastic actors like Sadiq Daba, Mat and Gladys Dadzie (I was the saddest person in the world when they divorced), George Mentie, Ene Oloja, Mac-Arthur Fom (Nosa in Behind The Clouds. The whole of Nigeria was mourned when died), etc.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Emilord(m): 8:47pm On May 01, 2016
ajepako:

think well bros...1986 thereabout grin grin grin
mehnnnn,dem never born me then ooo
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by dom(m): 9:31pm On May 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Guy you copied. grin

U failed number 3. Albert Egbe used to play the part of Mr. B before being replaced by Zulu Adigwe. The other answers are correct.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 01, 2016
For the first time I feel so lost.... I probably was a baby by then....
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 01, 2016
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 01, 2016
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Tinyemeka(m): 10:55pm On May 01, 2016
kobonaire:
Madam the madam : It's a matter of cash! cheesy

You just brought back fond memories with that post. smiley

That's all I remember from the series.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by aliyuabbaashiru(m): 11:00pm On May 01, 2016
embarassed embarassed
ajepako:

I just did my second birthday embarassed
ajepako:

I just did my second birthday
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 01, 2016
1988-1990 , ok.... it ended before 4yrs i arrived earth.I think i watched it in Mars
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 11:20pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:

cheesy cheesy

Reminds me of Joystick Tiger cheesy
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 11:22pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:

That was the first of the Jos school of programmes that I ever watched (it was started in 1980). In the 1980s we had the Lagos programmes, the Kaduna programmes, the Enugu programmes, etc, but the Jos school of programmes was the best. They gave us great shows like:

CockCrow At Dawn
Telemovie
Behind The Clouds
Etc

And produced fantastic actors like Sadiq Daba, Mat and Gladys Dadzie (I was the saddest person in the world when they divorced), George Mentie, Ene Oloja, Mac-Arthur Fom (Nosa in Behind The Clouds. The whole of Nigeria was mourned when died), etc.
Remind me again, what killed Nosa? I vaguely recall he was killed off in the series
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by ismayl: 11:22pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:
Do you know

1) The screen name of the person in the red tshirt?

2) The real name of the person in the red tshirt?

3) The name of the actor who initially played the role of the person in the red tshirt?

4) The name of the sitcom?

5) The name of the person that wrote this situation comedy? (He was a famous writer and activist).

Clue: You can easily figure out the answer to questions one and four by reading what's written on the tshirt.

[img]http://america.pink/images/5/8/4/5/7/8/en/2-basi-and-company.jpg[/img]

my favourite. my ever best
how I want it back
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 11:27pm On May 01, 2016
naptu2:

CockCrow At Dawn
Telemovie
Behind The Clouds
Etc

Hmm. Nice. Never knew all these, but I'm well aware of the programs.

CockCrow At Dawn starred Sadiq Daba and co...

Behind The Cloud starred Matt Dazie and Zack Amata and co..

I can't remember Telemovie, remind me a bit will you...
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 11:30pm On May 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Remind me again, what killed Nosa? I vaguely recall he was killed off in the series
H died in real life, that's why he didn't feature in the series anymore, it was rumored that he was having an affair with a co star in the series in real life.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 11:33pm On May 01, 2016
JoeBlocks:
H died in real life, that's why he didn't feature in the series anymore, it was rumored that he was having an affair with a co star in the series in real life.
Kai. His village people did their thing sharp sharp cry. That guy was destined for greatness
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 11:34pm On May 01, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Hmm. Nice. Never knew all these, but I'm well aware of the programs.

CockCrow At Dawn starred Sadiq Daba and co...

Behind The Cloud starred Matt Dazie and Zack Amata and co..

I can't remember Telemovie, remind me a bit will you...
You are indomie generation cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shocking Transformations (Costumes) Of Nollywood Actresses-pics / BBNaija: Lolu And Cee-C Fight, Risk Disqualification / Why Kemen Must Sue Big Brother!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.