Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) (19740 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Excerpts From Arrow Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by uduokirika1(m): 6:50am On May 01, 2016
"Arrow of God is the only book i find myself reading over and over again"

-Chinua Achebe 1982

3 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by mysticgal(f): 6:52am On May 01, 2016
lilzcee:
Things fall apart, literature was my favourite subject in schoool, i love literature like mad, i was good in literature, buh in waec i got d7 in literature 4 straight times i took waec 4 times because of literature, i was angry because i know is not my fault, waec should be showing students their answer sheet after marking, buh now i have move on, is part of life, political science doesn't need literature so am going for it, mind u is not my fault, when given assignment in literature back then in school i will be the first person to do and submit it i will also score higher than my class mates
What do you really want to study?
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 6:58am On May 01, 2016
mysticgal:

What do you really want to study?
law or mass communication buh literature is required now am going for political science
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:05am On May 01, 2016
apcmustwin:
For things fall apart, like

For arrow of God share.
Stop clowning around. I am sure you don't have the slightest idea of those books. This is an academic exercise and not a discussion to gather likes and shares.

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by AreaFada2: 7:06am On May 01, 2016
The plot of Arrow of God, from a literary standpoint, is more intricate. Whereas Things Fall Apart captures the African essence, it is simple and the message is more accessible to everyone.

It is also a pioneering work. That puts it ahead of Arrow of God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by mysticgal(f): 7:07am On May 01, 2016
lilzcee:
law or mass communication buh they all needed literature now am going for political science
Hmm, God's speed tho
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:08am On May 01, 2016
vb0mb:
I prefer Arrow of God because its a tragicomedy.
Things fall Apart although its more proverbial but also interesting.

I still love Anthills of the Savannah.

I last read Anthills in 2001. Very different from Achebe's usual fare and very depressing. Am surprised someone likes it.

As per topic, Things fall apart, because it has a joie de vive that the other Achebe works do not have , despite the sad ending.(No longer at ease is downright cynical, while anthills is even more cynical).Arrow......read it once. Not too impressed.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:10am On May 01, 2016
brixton:
Both are great books, but "things fall apart" is internationally acclaimed... So my vote is for things fall apart.

Good morning Nigerians, good night yanks!!
Arrow of God is a better story for me
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:11am On May 01, 2016
mysticgal:

Hmm, God's speed tho
u mean
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by apcmustwin(f): 7:11am On May 01, 2016
AdamsBashforth:

Stop clowning around. I am sure you don't have the slightest idea of those books. This is an academic exercise; not a discussion to gather like and shares.
Lol. From things fall apart, to arrow of God, to anthills of the savanna, to his children literature chike and the river, to his essays like "the education of a British protected child", to his more recent there was a country, I've read all his books and have written seminar papers on several of his books, now who is the clown
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by eightsin(m): 7:12am On May 01, 2016
I read arrow of God severally without getting tired. Its my best and favourite of his books.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by mysticgal(f): 7:14am On May 01, 2016
lilzcee:
u mean
Good luck I mean cool
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DropShot: 7:14am On May 01, 2016
lilzcee:
Things fall apart, literature was my favourite subject in schoool, i love literature like mad, i was good in literature, buh in waec i got d7 in literature 4 straight times i took waec 4 times because of literature, i was angry because i know is not my fault, waec should be showing students their answer sheet after marking, buh now i have move on, is part of life, political science doesn't need literature so am going for it, mind u is not my fault, when given assignment in literature back then in school i will be the first person to do and submit it i will also score higher than my class mates
I think I understand why you failed Literature four times. No one can pass Literature with your level of grammar and wromg use of punctuation marks.

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by apcmustwin(f): 7:15am On May 01, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I last read Anthills in 2001. Very different from Achebe's usual fare and very depressing. Am surprised someone likes it.

As per topic, Things fall apart, because it has a joie de vive that the other Achebe works do not have , despite the sad ending.(No longer at ease is downright cynical, while anthills is even more cynical).Arrow......read it once. Not too impressed.
you are right, anthills is poorly written, the plot is just disjointed.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:16am On May 01, 2016
vb0mb:
I prefer Arrow of God because its a tragicomedy.
Things fall Apart although its more proverbial but also interesting.

I still love Anthills of the Savannah.
Anthills of the Savannah is a complete package of narration, description ànd poetry. It shows the author's skills.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Obinnau(m): 7:17am On May 01, 2016
DropShot:

I think I understand why you failed Literature four times. No one can pass Literature with your level of grammar and wromg use of punctuation marks.
Are you immune?

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by apcmustwin(f): 7:18am On May 01, 2016
DropShot:

that's a cheap shot. It's just like me making fun of your misspelling of wrong when I know you are typing with ur phone and it couldn't be perfectly edited.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:19am On May 01, 2016
DropShot:

smh am not good in english buh that wasn't the case here, i got A1 in english, i never fail english for once
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 7:23am On May 01, 2016
lilzcee:
law or mass communication buh literature is required now am going for political science

The least I scored in Literature in Secondary school was 99%. I always made 100%. In WAEC, I made a C5 in Literature and was terribly disappointed. My teacher too was cos he had boasted to people that I would make an A1 in the subject.

I don't know how WAEC exminers mark that literature. Just don't let them discourage you.

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by fr3do(m): 7:23am On May 01, 2016
Arrow of God
it has a broader plot
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by hifaif1: 7:29am On May 01, 2016
I will go for "Arrow of God"

With "Things Fall Apart", the legendary Chinua Achebe seemed to be struggling to find his form!!! The book was only lucky to be the really first pre and colonial tragic fiction from Africa!!! With "Arrow of God", Achebe was already a master storyteller!!!

"Arrow of God" is richer and more filling than "Things Fall Apart".

Even Achebe in his introduction to a new edition of "Arrow of God", couldn't hide his preference for "Arrow of God".

I will go for "Arrow of God". And I must put that everything that came out of Achebe is worth reading from "Things Fall Apart" even to his collection of short stories "Girls at War" and his storybook for children "Chike and the River"!!! The man was a master storyteller!!!

2 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by stainlex(m): 7:36am On May 01, 2016
I enjoyed TFA, but I connected more emotionally with AoG.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SteveRage: 7:38am On May 01, 2016
mysticgal:

Chai, you spoketh the English even Patrick ogbhahon or whatever his name is cannot speak grin grin

This is Patrick Obehagbon
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by herald9: 7:39am On May 01, 2016
After finishing Things Fall Apart, I was too engrossed to start Arrow of God... Until then, I'll go for TFA.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nnachuka(m): 7:48am On May 01, 2016
Things fall apart for me... that novel covers a lot of facets of our various ethnicities and the white man's opposition of our custom and our struggle in maintaining our identities while doing so. Add to that the various proverbial inclination of the novel and you have a life time companion. One which stood out was Okonkwo's while in his mothers village "fire begets cold impotent ash"

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by hifaif1: 7:48am On May 01, 2016
apcmustwin:
you are right, anthills is poorly written, the plot is just disjointed.

Poorly written?

Bro, there is really nothing like disjointed plot in Literature. A plot doesn't have to be structured chronologically!!!

Things Fall Apart is a very simple story doesn't mean it has the better plot between it and "Arrow of God".

With the way you appreciated the plot of "Arrow of God", you are surely going to think that all of Ayi Kwei Armah's books, especially, "Fragments", are poorly written!!!

Maybe you should leave plot to the literature masters!!!

"Arrow of God" had the stronger plot!!! Like I said in my first comment on this title, it was obvious that Achebe was struggling to find his unique form with "Things Fall Apart". The novel progressed slowly at first but then flowed seamlessly thereafter!!! But with "Arrow of God", there was a flawless play with more complex literary devices!!!

Sorry, I didn't read that you were talking about Anthills!!!

But all the same, there is nothing like a disjointed plot!!! Just styles!!!
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 7:53am On May 01, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

The least I scored in Literature in Secondary school was 99%. I always made 100%. In WAEC, I made a C5 in Literature and was terribly disappointed. My teacher too was cos he had boasted to people that I would make an A1 in the subject.

I don't know how WAEC exminers mark that literature. Just don't let them discourage you.
u even passed it u are lucky sha
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Orikinla(m): 7:57am On May 01, 2016
To me, I will choose "Arrow of God". But the great Chinua Achebe said he could not rate one above the other one.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by alorax2(f): 7:57am On May 01, 2016
Op, to say d truth, things fall apart nails it, arrow of god is awesome too, but I jave been searching all old classi like, bottled leopard, the great pond, Efuru, etc. I realy need them, wish I know where to get them
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Ganjafama(m): 7:58am On May 01, 2016
lilzcee:
Your use of slang like "buh" and other shorthand stuff is what's causing you to fail literature repeatedly.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by uduokirika1(m): 7:59am On May 01, 2016
hifaif1:
I will go for "Arrow of God"

With "Things Fall Apart", the legendary Chinua Achebe seemed to be struggling to find his form!!! The book was only lucky to be the really first pre and colonial tragic fiction from Africa!!! With "Arrow of God", Achebe was already a master storyteller!!!

"Arrow of God" is richer and more filling than "Things Fall Apart".

Even Achebe in his introduction to a new edition of "Arrow of God", couldn't hide his preference for "Arrow of God".

I will go for "Arrow of God". And I must put that everything that came out of Achebe is worth reading from "Things Fall Apart" even to his collection of short stories "Girls at War" and his storybook for children "Chike and the River"!!! The man was a master storyteller!!!

You've said it all. Gbam!!

Most pEeps going for Things Fall Apart are just doing 'cos of the hype!

Even Achebe himself didn't mince words to proclaim his favorite book'!

"Arrow of God is the only book i find myself reading over and over again"

-Chinua Achebe 1982

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Writers Needed / Êru ti Ife - Ashes Of Love. / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.