Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,064 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) (19515 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Excerpts From Arrow Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by alorax2(f): 2:54pm On May 01, 2016
enieme:

cheesy since the days every household had at least a copy of James Hadley Chase

True o,, comes hardly chase, Harold Robbins, didn't Sheldon, Jackie colons, Daniels steel, Jeffery archer, Nora Roberts et Al, those were the days
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 3:10pm On May 01, 2016
alorax2:

Ok, thank you sir

Uwc ma'am cheesy
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 01, 2016
patrikoolar:
An appreciable knowledge of the socio-political context, the zeitgeist if you may, of the times these classics were dissipated from the grey matter, nay, oblongata of the most revered yet grossly under-rated ethno-African wordsmith of genius classification, is necessary to know that ...

Both are best for the nests they share ...

Too wordy—a haughty show of inteliegent sounding words.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Holludharyor(m): 3:15pm On May 01, 2016
Don't fall into score upgrading scam!
Prepare from the beginning
Say goodbye to failure!
Grab your success now!!
Bring WAEC to its knees!!!
Register your WAEC GCE with us and learn the secret of "SUCCESS AT ONCE".
Contact 08109923414 (Whatsapp), 07054905371 or 08022735667
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 3:17pm On May 01, 2016
Oya bros

- Oweniwe
- Lalasticlala
- Seun
- Mynd44
- Tosyne2much
- Airforce1

and .....
- Naijasinlegirl
- LadyF

Come let's hear your opinion, biko cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 01, 2016
SirDavico:

Wow cheesy cheesy cheesy My friend told me his dad said Chase was a damn good writer and a popular read in those days gone by. That was how I got to hear of James Hadley Chase. After reading just one book of his, ''You find him-I'll fix him'', to say I was thrilled and captivated would be an Understatement grin grin grin
Infact, I THINK i should emulate his style of writing grin grin grin

Oooops! This is so off topic grin grin grin

Happy Sunday cheesy cheesy cheesy
'Tiger by the tail' was the most popular read then. My favourite was 'a coffin from hongkong'.
been looking for the ebooks to download.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 01, 2016
alorax2:

True o,, comes hardly chase, Harold Robbins, didn't Sheldon, Jackie colons, Daniels steel, Jeffery archer, Nora Roberts et Al, those were the days
abi o. My sister tell em.
Though me self never old reach to know some of these Pple lipsrsealed
I remember someone telling me James Patterson wrote as good as James Hadley Chase. His first book I picked wasn't so impressing - storyline wasn't so creative but I must commend him for the thrilling suspense.

Allan pinkerton is a contemporary writer that writes non fiction detective stories.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 3:26pm On May 01, 2016
Holludharyor:
Don't fall into score upgrading scam!
Prepare from the beginning
Say goodbye to failure!
Grab your success now!!
Bring WAEC to its knees!!!
Register your WAEC GCE with us and learn the secret of "SUCCESS AT ONCE".
Contact 08109923414 (Whatsapp), 07054905371 or 08022735667

On my thread? Ok, u preaching against scam? How can we be sure u're not a scam urself?
Ooopps! Sorry about that grin grin grin
Oya! ***waves wand***
Gerarahere mehn grin grin grin
Disappear! grin grin grin
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 3:36pm On May 01, 2016
enieme:

'Tiger by the tail' was the most popular read then. My favourite was 'a coffin from hongkong'.

I've got ''tiger by the tail'' , ''the soft centre'' and one or two other books of his. All in pdf ebook format. But I still haven't read them. Will read them soon

You can google them up and download.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 01, 2016
SirDavico:

I've got ''tiger by the tail'' , ''the soft centre'' and one or two other books of his. All in pdf ebook format. But I still haven't read them. Will read them soon

You can google them up and download.

sure. I'll do that when I have the time.
Don't let me derail this thread any further than I have.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 3:53pm On May 01, 2016
enieme:

sure. I'll do that when I have the time.
Don't let me derail this thread any further than I have.

cheesy ok cheesy
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Countrygirl(f): 4:02pm On May 01, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

Anthills of the Savannah? You just reminded me that I have not 'revised' this novel in a long while. I shall fish it out and read again. If my anger with the drunken Police man will allow me read it to the end.

Why does Achebe always seek to destroy his characters? Even Obi Okonkwo (No Longer at Ease), whose grandfather he already destroyed in 'Things Fall Apart' and Odili (A man of the People) were not spared in the end.

Achebe has a way of mocking his characters and exposing their flaws not visible to the 'naked' eye.
I cried for Obi in 'no longer at ease'.His case is just a waste of years & life.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by alorax2(f): 4:07pm On May 01, 2016
enieme:

abi o. My sister tell em.
Though me self never old reach to know some of these Pple lipsrsealed
I remember someone telling me James Patterson wrote as good as James Hadley Chase. His first book I picked wasn't so impressing - storyline wasn't so creative but I must commend him for the thrilling suspense.

Allan pinkerton is a contemporary writer that writes non fiction detective stories.

Paterson is mostly suspense. But John chrisham will take u into d working monds of lawyers, law firm, courts and syndicates.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 4:09pm On May 01, 2016
Countrygirl:
I cried for Obi in 'no longer at ease'.His case is just a waste of years & life.

LOL. I guess you fell in love with him. grin grin

On a serious note, everything and everyone he loved treated him badly: His mother who was the apple of his eyes, his girlfriend Clara, the government he worked for and even his dad maintained a deafening silence when he ought to have spoken. (Despite the fact that he disobeyed his own father and followed the whiteman's religion, after witnessing his father kill Ikemefuna)

Achebe was bent on 'destroying' the young man. He gave him no opportunity to 'defend' himself.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 4:16pm On May 01, 2016
enieme:

Read: This Way For A Shroud and you'll be held spellbound by the character Jack Maurer and his battle for survival.

Chase is a very good writer and to think he had not visited America when he wrote most of his novels is astonishing. He wrote most of his novel with a map of the cities.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by julioralph(m): 4:56pm On May 01, 2016
how come I didn't see thread on time smiley both of are really good books but...

Arrow of God, stands head n shoulders above things fall apart!!!

because Oyinbo people love things fall apart doesn't mean it better. #MyOpinionTho

On a lighter side... I also love a man of the people.. chief Nanga and co grin

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 01, 2016
mike404:
NO LONGER AT EASE - CHINUA ACHEBE
THE JOY OF MOTHERHOOD- BUCHI EMECHETA
I remember crying at the end of 'Joys of Motherhood'. The way she ran mad and died on the street after all the suffering. Only getting a 'befitting burial' at the end. What an irony. I'm still addicted to literature till date.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Naijji: 5:40pm On May 01, 2016
Arrow of God, all day, everyday!
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by alorax2(f): 6:04pm On May 01, 2016
enieme:

my first book from chase was cofin from honk Kong,, then tiger by d tail, knock knock whose there,one bright summer morning, u find him ill fix him, no orchard for miss blandish, miss lotus waves a wand. I enjoy one character call mark girland he is always fighting with Malik. Those where glorious days
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by oweniwe(m): 6:08pm On May 01, 2016
Countrygirl:

DIKEnaWAR:
Anthills of the Savannah? You just reminded me that I have not 'revised' this novel in a long while. I shall fish it out and read again. If my anger with the drunken Police man will allow me read it to the end.

Why does Achebe always seek to destroy his characters? Even Obi Okonkwo (No Longer at Ease), whose grandfather he already destroyed in 'Things Fall Apart' and Odili (A man of the People) were not spared in the end.

Achebe has a way of mocking his characters and exposing their flaws not visible to the 'Unclad' eye.

If Chinua Achebe were God...

I mean... If God writes the story of people ...

Ppl lik Abachas and Abiola go plenty o
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 6:25pm On May 01, 2016
oweniwe:

If Chinua Achebe were God...

I mean... If God writes the story of people ...

Ppl lik Abachas and Abiola go plenty o

Hehehe....grin grin grin how fa man cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by apcmustwin(f): 6:48pm On May 01, 2016
AdamsBashforth:

By simply "googling" 'chinua achebe' you can get a list of all his books. You missed out 'A man of the people'. Clowning around does not necessarily mean that one is a clown. Congrats on your seminar papers.
story
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 6:51pm On May 01, 2016
Taduma1:
Gone are those days, best of nollywood then. FTC at last

Sorry I made a mistake. It's the book that's in question not the movie.
Below is the book pix

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by oweniwe(m): 7:40pm On May 01, 2016
SirDavico:

Hehehe....grin grin grin how fa man cheesy cheesy cheesy

Been quite busy with my new works
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Ghost01(m): 7:56pm On May 01, 2016
Arrow of God is it for me. It is the finest of the four books by Achebe that I've read.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by brendachizzy(f): 7:56pm On May 01, 2016
I'll go for Arrow of God. Anytime, anywhere. The book really got me spell bound!
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 9:08pm On May 01, 2016
oweniwe:

Been quite busy with my new works

Godspeed, bro.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by oluamid(m): 2:47pm On May 02, 2016
MNDY:
I've not read Arrow of God, but Things Fall Apart is one fiction work so perfectly composed that it is globally respected! Only the TV show GAME OF THRONES can stand Things Fall Apart in intelligently created fiction

I won't like to compare because I personally find both Things Fall Apart and A Song of Ice and Fire compelling. Forget the TV show, read the book and give your opinion.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by MNDY(m): 4:05pm On May 02, 2016
oluamid:

I won't like to compare because I personally find both Things Fall Apart and A Song of Ice and Fire compelling. Forget the TV show, read the book and give your opinion.

You are telling me that I stand a chance of getting an even more thrilling and fascinating experience from George R.R. Martin's book than the one I am already getting from HBO's Game of Thrones! Superbly intelligent minds are behind this show
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 02, 2016
alorax2:

my first book from chase was cofin from honk Kong,, then tiger by d tail, knock knock whose there,one bright summer morning, u find him ill fix him, no orchard for miss blandish, miss lotus waves a wand. I enjoy one character call mark girland he is always fighting with Malik. Those where glorious days
anty e ma ti kawe gan fa! Sucker punch nko?
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 02, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

Read: This Way For A Shroud and you'll be held spellbound by the character Jack Maurer and his battle for survival.

Chase is a very good writer and to think he had not visited America when he wrote most of his novels is astonishing. He wrote most of his novel with a map of the cities.
His books are no longer in the market. Don't let me derail this thread
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by alorax2(f): 5:44pm On May 02, 2016
enieme:

anty e ma ti kawe gan fa! Sucker punch nko?

Abi o,, even come easy go easy, an ACE up my sleeve, eve, cade etc. I started reading chase when I was 9yrs old. I became addicted to reading novels. My late mum used to call my library (imagin)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SURVIVORS (a Novel) / What Kind Of Books Do You Read? / ''''''''''''''''''church Runs''''''''''''''''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.