Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,387 members, 7,800,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) (19506 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Excerpts From Arrow Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by oluamid(m): 9:48am On May 03, 2016
MNDY:

You are telling me that I stand a chance of getting an even more thrilling and fascinating experience from George R.R. Martin's book than the one I am already getting from HBO's Game of Thrones! Superbly intelligent minds are behind this show

The fact that the show was adapted from the books tells you all you need to know. And I tell you, the show doesn't even come 25% close to the thrill you'll get from the books. It is known.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SenatorJames(m): 7:02pm On May 05, 2016
Things fall apart.

But i never read am in real life, make you know ask me where i read it oooooo
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Olakunle007(m): 9:13pm On May 05, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
Things Fall Apart is better because of the plot, theme and rich display of Igbo culture inherent. It told a story - our story - of the black man's struggle to maintain his independence and ways and how the whitemen forced their ways down our throat. They started by giving recognition to those rejected by the society and emboldened them to challenge the status quo. It pitted brother against brother. It brought about what we experience till date in Africa - love of the whiteman and his ways more than ours and ourselves.

Obierika, Okonkwo's friend, described it all when he said about the whiteman: "He has put a knife on what holds us together...things fall apart"

Arrow of Gods is another good story of the fight against modern and ancient. It confuses me sha, because I always feel there was no need for the god ulu to treat Ezeulu the way it did or is it that Achebe in his characteristic way of destroying his characters was in a hurry to 'deal' with Ezeulu?

Here is a man who spoke the truth and his people conspired against him. The god he served faithfully, who was already being challenged to a fight by lesser gods like Idemili and Ogwugwu decided to make a poor show of itself and disgrace its priest, thereby allowing his enemies to triumph over him.

Arrow of God holds me spell bound whenever I read it again and I have read it more than 100 times.

Please, pardon me if my reply is not explanatory enough. I read the book just once and the very days i read it is something I can't remember. Just to tell you how far it's. Know it well the novel is a tragedy in which we learn to understand what kills great men. Ezeulu, you mentioned is a great man, no doubt. But I think his ultimate reason for not eating those yams is to punish the people. I can remember I read it the elders saying they will take the punishment on their heads. Ezeulu only used the god as a coverup. When the people realize their yam will perish make them to follow the new religion, which is Christianity. I would have given a good picture of the whole thing but I have forgotten most characters and events in the book. To worsen the matter, a friend of mine had taken it away.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 3:04am On May 06, 2016
Olakunle007:

Please, pardon me if my reply is not explanatory enough. I read the book just once and the very days i read it is something I can't remember. Just to tell you how far it's. Know it well the novel is a tragedy in which we learn to understand what kills great men. Ezeulu, you mentioned is a great man, no doubt. But I think his ultimate reason for not eating those yams is to punish the people. I can remember I read it the elders saying they will take the punishment on their heads. Ezeulu only used the god as a coverup. When the people realize their yam will perish make them to follow the new religion, which is Christianity. I would have given a good picture of the whole thing but I have forgotten most characters and events in the book. To worsen the matter, a friend of mine had taken it away.

Worthy observation, but the question is; is Ezeulu supposed to eat more than one sacred yam in one moon? Wouldn't the action have set him against his god who had assured him of fighting the batte as his own, while he was in Okperi?

Those yams marked the moon(months) in a year and for Ezeulu to eat them would amount to arrogating to himself the powers of a god, who decides what moon and time it was in a year(don't forget planting season and all revolve round this). Do you think Nwaka, Eze Idemili and other critics would have spared Ezulu if he had eaten more than one yam?

Though Achebe gave Ezeulu no chances, Ulu could be likened to the proverbial lizard that ruined his mother's funeral. Ulu was like the dog that wanted to answer two masters at the same time and broke his jaw in the process. Ulu gave Idemili and Ogwugwu the land and mat with which they buried it, because in trying to hurt its priest, it shot itself on the foot. It chose a bad time to punish its priest, for whatever infraction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by MNDY(m): 11:14am On May 08, 2016
oluamid:

The fact that the show was adapted from the books tells you all you need to know. And I tell you, the show doesn't even come 25% close to the thrill you'll get from the books. It is known.

Lolz @ "It Is Known", you got that from the Dothraki . . . right?
-
But I heard somewhere that Jon Snow was left dead in the book in contrast to his recent resurrection in the last episode 'Home'
-
HBO is said to have plans of deviating from the book in certain circumstances!
-
I actually want to order for the book! I hope the book is as brilliantly worded as HBO's screenplay in GAME OF THRONES, a thing that made HBO earn my respect and admiration apart from extreme suspense too
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by boss99(m): 6:49am On Dec 13, 2016
some one show pls send me arrow of God eBook. my email is etinbaba05@gmail.com.thanks
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Oshi5403(m): 7:40pm On Feb 09, 2020
henroe2k2:
I give it to 'Things fall apart'

my best proverb in the book is
'Since the bird has learnt to fly without perching, the hunter has learnt to shoot without aiming'

You Constructed The Proverb Wrongly.
"since Men Has Learn To Shoot Without Missing,enene The Bird Has Also Learn To Fly Without Perching".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SURVIVORS (a Novel) / What Kind Of Books Do You Read? / ''''''''''''''''''church Runs''''''''''''''''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.