Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:57 PM

How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. (4833 Views)

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? / When You Call From Abroad Do People See Nigerian Numbers? Twitter User Blames FG / Swiftkey Might Have Displayed Your Email Address And Phone Numbers To Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. by Obinnau(m): 7:48am On May 01, 2016
0 = none (in some telephones, "OPERATOR" or "OPER"wink
1 = none (in some older telephones, QZ)
2 = ABC
3 = DEF
4 = GHI
5 = JKL
6 = MNO
7 = PQRS (in older telephones, PRS)
8 = TUV
9 = WXYZ (in older telephones, WXYZ
The letters have also been used, mainly in the United States, as a way of remembering telephone numbers easily. For example, an interior decorator might license the phone number 1-800-724-6837 but advertise it as the more memorable phoneword 1-800-PAINTER. Sometimes businesses advertise a number with a mnemonic word having more letters than there are digits in the phone number. Usually, this means that the caller just stops dialing at 7 digits after the area code or that the numbers are ignored by the switchboard.
In recent times, the letters on the keys are needed also for entering text on mobile phones , for text messaging , entering names in the phone book, mobile apps , mobile browser , etc. To compensate the smaller keys, mobile phones use systems like multi-tap and predictive text .
On old phones, with a "Call Exchange button", this is equivalent to the "R" line break recall button.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit my ignorance, and I'm sure my fellow CrackBerry writers will take immense joy in rubbing this in later, but for the sake of it possibly helping others, here I go. I had no clue how to dial phone numbers that contained letters in them like 1-800-COMCAST on my BlackBerry device until today. I ran across an app in BlackBerry App World that you enter the number like Comcast's and it gave you the numerical equivalent. I was so excited that I immediately thought to do a review on it and searched CrackBerry to see if that app had been covered before. Low and behold, on the main page in a Q&A submission (back in 2007) was an even easier way to dial those numbers...no app needed! If you're like me and have no clue how to dial numbers containing letters, keep reading and you'll see how easily it's done!
You simply start dialing the number like you usually do and then when you come to the letters, hold the "alt" key while pressing each letter. Easy and no wasting precious space on my BlackBerry with a needless app.
http://m.crackberry.com/quick-tip-how-dial-phone-numbers-contain-letters-your-blackberry-device
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_keypad
Re: How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. by OSI7: 9:32am On May 02, 2016
Thanks, I've always thought of how to call these numbers

2 Likes

Re: How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. by redon12(m): 2:40pm On Nov 05, 2016
blo..
Re: How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. by Dandsome: 4:35pm On Nov 05, 2016
I for clap for u but it's not a new thing to me
Re: How To Dial Phone Numbers With Alphabets. by tafat: 5:19pm On Nov 05, 2016
Obinnau:
0 = none (in some telephones, "OPERATOR" or "OPER"wink
1 = none (in some older telephones, QZ)
2 = ABC
3 = DEF
4 = GHI
5 = JKL
6 = MNO
7 = PQRS (in older telephones, PRS)
8 = TUV
9 = WXYZ (in older telephones, WXYZ
The letters have also been used, mainly in the United States, as a way of remembering telephone numbers easily. For example, an interior decorator might license the phone number 1-800-724-6837 but advertise it as the more memorable phoneword 1-800-PAINTER. Sometimes businesses advertise a number with a mnemonic word having more letters than there are digits in the phone number. Usually, this means that the caller just stops dialing at 7 digits after the area code or that the numbers are ignored by the switchboard.
In recent times, the letters on the keys are needed also for entering text on mobile phones , for text messaging , entering names in the phone book, mobile apps , mobile browser , etc. To compensate the smaller keys, mobile phones use systems like multi-tap and predictive text .
On old phones, with a "Call Exchange button", this is equivalent to the "R" line break recall button.

http://m.crackberry.com/quick-tip-how-dial-phone-numbers-contain-letters-your-blackberry-device
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_keypad

Wow thanks bro didn't know this fa

(1) (Reply)

Hidden Games On Your Android Device You Never Knew About / Check Out The New Nokia 1 Smartphone That Cost Just N30,000 / Null

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.