Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer (23549 Views)

Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by lillya(f): 8:52am On May 05, 2016
i faint with laughter.
kinziking:
How can u compare lagos okpa with enugu opka
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by desmond2pk: 8:53am On May 05, 2016
Randyblincks:
who's chimamander to Chinua...

Adichie is better than achebe. Just read their books than talking based on emotions.
Adichie is one hell of writer that I never thought would be real. Me and my wife always look forward to her new book.

It shuld had been Chimamander vs Larrysun.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ephi123(f): 8:54am On May 05, 2016
ritahot:
They are both igbos, they are the best unlike one mofo from the waste!

Please you guys should not bring any tribalistic crap to one of the few quality threads on NL.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by desmond2pk: 8:55am On May 05, 2016
kelechi50:
Please how do you compare original copy with a photo copy for Christ sake, am not saying she's not good but

Who is original here and who is copy?
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by desmond2pk: 8:56am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...

Than you dear. Nobody who has read adichie books would say that achebe is better than her.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 8:58am On May 05, 2016
Toroze:
Bros nor dey follow peeps like this dey argue.. na to. just smh waka pass
lol. The guy had some points. Bt wrong in delivering them properly.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ritahot(f): 8:59am On May 05, 2016
ephi123:

Please you guys should not bring any tribalistic crap to one of the few quality threads on NL.

Ur comparism is pointless
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joeshed(m): 8:59am On May 05, 2016
this thread is something else, how can u be comparing both... well, I take it for an ignorance... chimamanda is good, but Achebe is one of a writer I have seen in my life time, he inspired African literature... pls next time don't compare between a father and a daughter..
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by sorepco(m): 9:03am On May 05, 2016
I take it for granted u know not what surpassing means

joshuaidibia:
So you big pass ur father? I hail you sir.
pads
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Geesanni: 9:03am On May 05, 2016
dat still an insult,am sure u are tribalistic
engrchykae:
The right comparison would be chimamanda vs Wole Soyinka
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by bikefab(m): 9:06am On May 05, 2016
WTF! Is there even any comparison here?
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 9:09am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...
Oga bros, I wonder how this thread take enter front page sef. How can you compare Chimamanda and Chinua Achebe. Did you know that "Things Fall Apart" is among the top 100 books of all times. U cannot compare a student and a professor. Super eagles dont play with the Falcons!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by daking4(m): 9:12am On May 05, 2016
its like asking brazillians who's better BTW pelle nd neymer Jr

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ephi123(f): 9:15am On May 05, 2016
ritahot:

Ur comparism is pointless

Comparison you mean wink
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nuahall2k14(m): 9:16am On May 05, 2016
Chinua Achebe is a master story teller.. While chimamanda Just tells d story she was told.imagine chimamanda writing about d civil war, how Old was she then. She is just writing Wat she was told. But chinua narrates Wat he lived. He lived d stories.... Old don't compare both, it's insulting.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Orobo2Lekpa: 9:19am On May 05, 2016
anitapreeti:
please delete this thread!! this is an insult to a Legend.

Chinua Achebe inspired Chimamanda and she built her work on his, so don't compare them. this is like comparing a child to his father.

Are you saying a child can never be better than his father? Its difficult comparing people from different era it's like saying is Dickens better than Shakespear, or even is Messi better than Maradona? They both have their qualities in their own way. Personally I believe Achebe captures the traditional and historic nuances better, while Adichie is a better contemporary writer.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by keyobi: 9:22am On May 05, 2016
Op, report yourself to Seun or Lala. You need better ban.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by MoNickk(f): 9:24am On May 05, 2016
i have read most if not all of Achebes books and about 3 of chimamandas books and i say there is no basis for comparism. Achebe is simply in a class of his own. His book 'things fall apart' is something else. something no other person has been able to come close to. i cant begin to list here. chimamanda is good but Achebe was a master.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ephi123(f): 9:24am On May 05, 2016
Back to the topic, I have read a number of books by both authors, there is NO basis for comparison. Achebe is a MASTER of the trade.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Laid2001: 9:29am On May 05, 2016
I am a scientist and Believe in quantitative reasoning.

Based on Quantitative, measurable criteria, Achebe is more widely read and accepted. His Novel have topped the sales chart several times.

Yet, that is just one criteria, Chimamanda on the other hand has won more awards and recognition than Achebe and she is just started!. And her books are selling at a rate never seen in Nigerian literatures before. Given time, her books will overtake sales record of Achebe's books.!

Hence, given, the scale of things Adichie is Better overall.

However, we can continue with our emotional attachment to Achebe, the legend!.

This is just like Pele and Messi!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by osita76(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
Both of them are genius that is my assertion
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by onunwa21(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2016
ACHEBE NA CHIMAMAMADA FATHER.............YOU CAN'T COMPARE THE TWO..

IF I LIE, ASK CHIMAMAMADA

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by litaninja(m): 9:39am On May 05, 2016
This is an insult....to Achebe.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 9:39am On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
What are your own parameters?

A good prose is not about length but quality, composition, believability, powerful style of writing and lots more!!!

Judging the strength of a writer by their prolificacy and the size of their writing is petty!!!

Dan Brown's books are large but filled with scientific and historic inaccuracies and weak and ambiguous sentences!!! Dan Brown is prolific and popular, the quality of his books are not much to write home about!!!

Adichie is good but in terms of quality and presence of style and strong believable characters, Achebe was better!!! It is hard to actually copy Achebe's simple and compact style. His prose is smooth and almost flawless!!! Achebe was a master writer!!! It is for a strong reason that he is so much respected even though he didn't publish much and his books were compact!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by OnlyMotors: 9:51am On May 05, 2016
Adichie is intelligent, but there is no comparison at all. Achebe is the grand master. Those talking about contemporary writing probably never read no longer at ease. I don't even see Adichie Is not a creative writer..
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Pchidexy(m): 9:57am On May 05, 2016
Op! Op! Op! How many times did I call you! Don't insult a legend. U wan compare keke with jeep
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by playtheblues(f): 9:58am On May 05, 2016
Both of them are Igbos. God is wonderful.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 10:27am On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

A good prose is not about length but quality, composition, believability, powerful style of writing and lots more!!!

Judging the strength of a writer by their prolificacy and the size of their writing is petty!!!

Dan Brown's books are large but filled with scientific and historic inaccuracies and weak and ambiguous sentences!!! Dan Brown is prolific and popular, the quality of his books are not much to write home about!!!

Adichie is good but in terms of quality and presence of style and strong believable characters, Achebe was better!!! It is hard to actually copy Achebe's simple and compact style. His prose is smooth and almost flawless!!! Achebe was a master writer!!! It is for a strong reason that he is so much respected even though he didn't publish much and his books were compact!!!
Very vague statements.I guess judgement of the quality of a novel is a matter of opinion.Could you please point out some of these scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' you speak of.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 10:30am On May 05, 2016
playtheblues:
Both of them are Igbos. God is wonderful.

Stop being tribalistic!!!

You forget that Africa's first Nobel laureate in literature is a Yoruba man from Ogun state!!! And a fine and prolific writer too!!! And that fine writers like Zaynab Alkali and Abubakar Gimba are from the North!!!

So, it is not about the tribe but the gift and sacrifice and sweat of the individual!!!

When Wole Soyinka rose to collect his Nobel prize medal in 1986, the givers of the coveted prize never saw a Yoruba man but a proud Nigerian in his native clothes!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 10:35am On May 05, 2016
Toroze:
Bros nor dey follow peeps like this dey argue.. na to. just smh waka pass
You be goat.Go and check the guy's post that I responded to.Oloshi.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 10:36am On May 05, 2016
joshuaidibia:
Dante Inferno was a poem written by Dante. DanBrown wrote Inferno. Or please sir,tell me who wrote Inferno.
I give up.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 10:40am On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Very vague statements.I guess judgement of the quality of a novel is a matter of opinion.Could you please point out some of these scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' you speak of.

Just agree you were petty!!! The problems with most people is their inability to accept their blunders!!! I call it pride!!! I don't know you but it is not hard to know that you know very little about literary appreciation!!!

Judging a writing is basically based on personal opinions. The opinions that eventually count are the strong ones!!! Go and read up on qualities of a good prose and educate yourself!!! Everyone has an opinion but it has to be strong to count!!!

But to come here and judge the better writer using prolificacy and length of books is just lazy!!!

Now, let us make something clear, if you were to judge a writing contest, how would you go about it?

Would you judge using size and the previous publication history of the author or what?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Blue ( Short Story) / Orin Orile Ede Naijiria Ni Ede Yoruba Ati Ni Geesi / The Sex Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.