Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,434 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage (31490 Views)

"We Are Both AS Genotype And We Don't Consider Break-Up As An Option" / My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by durubrian(m): 2:19pm On May 01, 2016
Over the years, marriages have been conducted without ascertaining the genotype of the intending couples. Hence, many families have given birth to children and they die in their face. Research have shown that most of these children whose genotype is 'SS' dose not live up to two decades. And when they die at such a tender age, the family members tag them an ogbanje(reincarnate) in igbo or abiku(predestined to die) in yoruba, not knowing that it was their ignorance that brought about the death of these children. Also, a research conducted examined defined symptoms of 100 children classified as ogbanje. Haemoglobin analysis showed that 70 of the 100 children had sickle cell disease(SCD) and thereby died in their adolescent age.

What is genotype?

Genotype is the genetic make up of an individual. It(genotype) shows the inherited traits of an individual from his parents. That is why people are able to run paternity test.

Why is genotype a determinant factor in marriage?

There are three possible genotype an individual can possess which are;
- AA normal child
- AS normal but carrier of sickle cell
-SS sickle cell anamiea popularly called sickler.
When a newly wedded couples having both a genotype of AS, when you cross breed it you will find out that there is every 25% chance of giving birth to a child with a genotype of SS.

Effects of giving birth to a child whose genotype is SS.

Sickle cell disease is an inherited disorder in which red blood cells(RBCs) are abnormally shaped. This abnormality can result in painful episodes, serious infections chronic anamiea and damage to body organs. Someone who inherits a sickle cell gene from each parent has haemoglobin SS disease also called sickle cell anamiea. The individual immune system is weak and hence can suffer from tissue and bone damage, strokes and organ failure. The body system is subject to high risk of infections.

These individuals suffers severe sickness from child birth and hence causes pains, worries and anxieties to Their parents. Only minority survive at this tender age, majority die after their parents must have spent so much seeking for a cure.

In conclusion, genotyping(a test carried out to know the genotype make up of an individual) is very essential before marriage. I hereby, advice every couple who wants to wed to go for genotyping before heading on with the marriage plans, in other to avoid the consequences it might bring upon you and your family.

Nevertheless, there are other important test intending couples are expected to run such as ABO blood group, HIV but of these, genotype is very essential.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by sample042(m): 6:36pm On May 01, 2016
Since a PhD holder could not add a bit to d betterment of Nigeria, I think we should support a reformed Democrat for the next remaining years than the hates.

PMB is the only hope to salvage Nigeria from its mess.

Vulgar words will strictly not be entertained on this thread.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 01, 2016
Ok

2 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by matrix199(m): 6:37pm On May 01, 2016
Very important
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Toybreezy: 6:39pm On May 01, 2016
My genotype is AC
can I marry anybody

13 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 01, 2016
Nice topic OP, I had the best relationship i could ever think of, and I ad already planned my life around her, sadly i made a mistake not asking the Genotype, tried holding on to the relationship but mehn when people tell you about the plight of SS kids, you just know it's not worth the pain.

Everyone should check their Genotype.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by phemolala07(m): 6:39pm On May 01, 2016
Very important

1 Like

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by firstolalekan(m): 6:40pm On May 01, 2016
Op
You forgot to add
Ac and Sc
C too is sickle in nature

The genotype issue is very important.
Taking risk for SS, Sc and As is not worth it. The pain can depress someone's life (parent) ...
There is NOTHING as UNCONDITIONAL love. It doesn't exist. The real love is the "common sense" love.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by maryhaam(f): 6:40pm On May 01, 2016
Highly important
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by MrSmith007: 6:40pm On May 01, 2016
Before starting a serious rship, ask about Genotype. No be say una go do 5yrs and discover yu cant marry because yur genotypes dont match

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 01, 2016
undecidedme no care abeg,,iluv my babe beyond genotyp

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by bisdam9086(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2016
Thank God I am AA.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by lust20(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2016
Thanks, so so insightful
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 01, 2016
Thank God that am AA

1 Like

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by ajoskele(m): 6:43pm On May 01, 2016
Op, you are right but thank God for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
All these genes can be mutated if you have the money and qualified hands.

9 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 01, 2016
stphil:
undecidedme no care abeg,,iluv my babe beyond genotyp
be ready to bury ur children, u may be AS and ur bae As

3 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by VickyRotex(f): 6:43pm On May 01, 2016
pcguru1:
Nice topic OP, I had the best relationship i could ever think of, and I ad already planned my life around her, sadly i made a mistake not asking the Genotype, tried holding on to the relationship but mehn when people tell you about the plight of SS kids, you just know it's not worth the pain.

Everyone should check their Genotype.

Awwwwwww. That's actually true. It's very important.

I lost a friend 2 years ago to this genotype ish. It was so sad.

Keep Resting Toyosi.

6 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by flameH(m): 6:43pm On May 01, 2016
9ce 1
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by solomonbrown64: 6:44pm On May 01, 2016
..... .. Being SS is one thing I do not even wish for my enemy after seeing the travails a close friend goes through on almost daily basis...
... I am AS and I know that getting married to a woman who is AA is non-negotiable...
.... For those who intend to get married and have kids, it's very important that they go for the required tests to avoid birthing a child who will be miserable for most of his/her life.....

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 01, 2016
Why people always forget AC genotype undecided
We sure do exist.

24 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 01, 2016
Hmmmmm....

1 Like

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by tinexybridals(f): 6:45pm On May 01, 2016
Very important but often neglected .it's usually considered after d said couple must have fallen deeply inlove

2 Likes

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Pranxta(m): 6:46pm On May 01, 2016
I'm AS and funny enough I fall sick once in 3years, plus my illness may not last up to 2 days cos I'm always all about getting well asap.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by promisechild(m): 6:46pm On May 01, 2016
ok
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by VickyRotex(f): 6:46pm On May 01, 2016
mzteemarh:
We sure do exist.

AC as in Air Conditioner? Na joke o grin

AA we sure do exist too kiss

Op, nice advise. cool

I believe every Genotype got it's Pros and Cons though. Just that one's cons could be more severe than another.
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by prettyjo(f): 6:46pm On May 01, 2016
let me chip this in....

while going for test,make sure you do it in two different hospitals cos atimes they do make mistake.

meanwhile.

please just take a quick look at my signature .
thanks grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by OLUJOSHINS(m): 6:46pm On May 01, 2016
its extremely important ooooooo

no be joke matter at all

1 Like

Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Edybleketara: 6:47pm On May 01, 2016
Its amazing dat some pple do not even know their genotype. Smh
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by Felixitie(m): 6:47pm On May 01, 2016
A good reminder...love isn't enough
Re: GENOTYPE: A Determinate Factor In Marriage by firstolalekan(m): 6:48pm On May 01, 2016
mzteemarh:
We sure do exist.
Madam physicist wink
I mentioned it too...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Couple Accuses Hospital Of Negligence As One Of Their Twin Babies Dies / Should I Be Worried My Urine Isn't Salty? / Three Family Members And Maid Die After Eating Poisoned Food In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.