Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,938 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner (6591 Views)

New Oxford Report Puts Nigeria’s Poverty Rate At 43.3% / No Reliable Statistics On Nigeria's Poverty Rate- World Bank / Sanusi Predicts Increase In Nigeria’s Poverty Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by bilymuse: 3:49pm On Aug 10, 2009
[size=15pt]CBN report[/size]

In a Central Bank of Nigeria document in 2007, then Governor Soludo showed that though most Nigerians are poor, the northern states are more ravaged by poverty. Poverty in Nigeria has a clear northern face as the 10 poorest states in Nigeria are all in the north, with Jigawa State having the terrible record of 95 per cent of its population living in poverty. The Central Bank data also showed that between 1980 and 2004, poverty increased from 13 per cent to 35 per cent of the population of the South-South, 13 per cent to 27 per cent in the South-East, and 13 per cent to 43 per cent in the South-West. Bad as these appalling trends in the south are, the situation in the north is far worse. In the North-Central, poverty ballooned from 36 per cent of the population in 1980, to 72 per cent in 2004. In the North-East, it went from 36 per cent in 1980 to 72 per cent in 2004. For the North-West, the trend was from 38 per cent to 71 per cent. These are frightening trends which have continued unabated. Even The Guardian of August 4, 2009 reported what UNICEF called a 'silent malnutrition emergency' in children in the northern states of Kebbi, Sokoto, Katsina, Kano, Adamawa and Gombe. It is this unrelenting poverty and hopelessness which breeds fanaticism and bigotry like those shown by Boko Haram.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=100809&ptitle=Caught between <I>Boko Haram</I> and 'Governance <I>Haram</I>'
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Afaukwu: 3:55pm On Aug 10, 2009
The Central Bank data also showed that between 1980 and 2004, poverty increased from 13 per cent to 35 per cent of the population of the South-South, 13 per cent to 27 per cent in the South-East, and 13 per cent to 43 per cent in the South-West. Bad as these appalling trends in the south are, the situation in the north is far worse. In the North-Central, poverty ballooned from 36 per cent of the population in 1980, to 72 per cent in 2004. In the North-East, it went from 36 per cent in 1980 to 72 per cent in 2004. For the North-West, the trend was from 38 per cent to 71 per cent.

Dem dey oppress Igbos, the people dey get better and better than their oppressors. Who talk say God no dey??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by nex(m): 4:13pm On Aug 10, 2009
Nobody got better. Some people just got worse slower than the others.

I must say that during the period I spent in the North, the kind of comfort I saw the people exercising in poverty was unbelievable.

This was during a period where most people down South had the notion that Northern Generals were ruling, therefore the Northerners were enjoying. That was the period they suffered the most under those leaders.

As for Jigawa state, I don't even know what to say. People are suffering O! That's why when I see my people in the Niger Delta cry that they're being marginalized, they are suffering, they are poor, I laugh. When the kind of poverty in Jigawa hits down south, we will start smiling in order to conserve energy to combat hunger.

Poverty is a Northerner. I don't need CBN figures to confirm what I've seen with my own eyes.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Afam(m): 4:18pm On Aug 10, 2009
nex:

As for Jigawa state, I don't even know what to say. People are suffering O! That's why when I see my people in the Niger Delta cry that they're being marginalized, they are suffering, they are poor, I laugh. When the kind of poverty in Jigawa hits down south, we will start smiling in order to conserve energy to combat hunger.

Dis na the advice of the millennium

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by blacksta(m): 4:20pm On Aug 10, 2009
@nex

So wetin man go do now- it is really sad a country blessed with so many natural resources but at the same thing starving to death
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by nex(m): 4:30pm On Aug 10, 2009
@blacksta

We have to take our eyes away from what we think the government can do for us and start concentrating on what we can do for ourselves.

Some Local Government Areas have not recieved allocation for about 5 months now due to the credit crunch. This is not a matter of some corrupt leader stole the money, it didn't come at all. Nothing like that has happened to us in the South, yet we cry more than the bereaved North.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by sjeezy8: 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2009
Like i said in different threads the PDP is for the detriment of Nigeria.

The north have always been poor, the governments in the South east and South west are becoming PDP states. As long as the PDP are in the governments, the poverty rates will continue to rise especially in the south west, where they are heavy.

Afaukwu:

Dem dey oppress Igbos, the people dey get better and better than their oppressors. Who talk say God no dey??

you sound so DUMB no one got better the north west and south south aren't opressing igbo. The Elite of everytribe are opressing everyone. you are very senseless, igbo leaders who've become PDP are opressing their own people. You sound very stupid,senseless and above all ignorant by pointing out the higher poverty rates of other regions and boasting that the south east is doing better, when its rates have also gotten higher.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by redsun(m): 6:02pm On Aug 10, 2009
Poverty is of the mind,a man can have the whole cash or resources in the world and still be poor,on a wider view,nigeria is an example,poverty in the midst of plenty,

Like the saying goes,in the abundance of water,the fool is thirsty.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 11:52pm On Aug 10, 2009
nex:

Nobody got better. Some people just got worse slower than the others.

I must say that during the period I spent in the North, the kind of comfort I saw the people exercising in poverty was unbelievable.

This was during a period where most people down South had the notion that Northern Generals were ruling, therefore the Northerners were enjoying. That was the period they suffered the most under those leaders.

Poverty is a Northerner. I don't need CBN figures to confirm what I've seen with my own eyes.

ND people can only thank God that he endowed them with "liver" (the real difference is that the ND has the highest some of the highest literacy rates in the country). Northerners in poverty believe it is as Allah wishes.
I am shocked that Western Nigeria is second to the North, though.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Afaukwu: 12:34am On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

(the real difference is that the ND has the highest literacy rates in the country).

How did you arrive at that?
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by nex(m): 12:41am On Aug 11, 2009
@Beaf

Pray tell, how did you arrive at that highest literacy level pronouncement? I beg thee please.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 12:57am On Aug 11, 2009
Afaukwu:

It is based on quota system and common entrance and JAMB results.
You can also observe it in the streets, there is practically nobody in urban areas that does not understand English or can't read.

These are the highest density education states in Nigeria:
Delta, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross-Rivers, Oyo, Lagos , Imo and Anambra States

These are the lowest density states:
Kaduna, Sokoto, Borno, Adamawa, Kano, Niger, Zamfara
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by nex(m): 1:08am On Aug 11, 2009
Hmmm? You want me to try it?

Tomorrow, I can go to ring road in Benin City and see how many people can read a Newspaper. Then tomorrow, I'll be going to Ogwashi-Uku for the first time. I try that too.

I used to think the South South was the second most illiterate region after the north.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 1:10am On Aug 11, 2009
nex:

Hmmm? You want me to try it?

Tomorrow, I can go to ring road in Benin City and see how many people can read a Newspaper. Then tomorrow, I'll be going to Ogwashi-Uku for the first time. I try that too.

I used to think the South South was the second most illiterate region after the north.

Sorry, but thats called ignorance.

This article has some nice graphs, factor in population and do the math http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2009/feb/101.html
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by nex(m): 1:19am On Aug 11, 2009
We're ignorant not illiterate? I thought it was the other way round.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by sjeezy8: 1:30am On Aug 11, 2009
literacy has nothing to do with poverty in nigeria there are alot of jobless graduates esp in the west
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 1:37am On Aug 11, 2009
Afaukwu:

The highest scores for 2009/10 JAMB all come from the ND. Damn us ND minorities! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[list]
[li]Miss Edem Cross River State (310)[/li]
[li]Friday Obukohwo Delta State (308)[/li]
[li]Moses-Gombo Kuroyefa Bayelsa State (308)[/li]
[/list]
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by jookco(m): 7:57am On Aug 11, 2009
Any tribe that has the highest population of Christians will always be on top, mark my word; Christianity brings light and understanding to the simple.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Ibime(m): 9:37am On Aug 11, 2009
jookco:

Any tribe that has the highest population of Christians will always be on top, mark my word; Christianity brings light and understanding to the simple.

The reverse is the case. Any tribe that has the highest no of Muslims will be at the bottom, because the religion does hold back a sizeable population from being educated such as women, servants etc.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by ishmael(m): 10:02am On Aug 11, 2009
Ibime:

The reverse is the case. Any tribe that has the highest no of Muslims will be at the bottom, because the religion does hold back a sizeable population from being educated such as women, servants etc.

You are only displaying naivity and ignorance here. Auchi people are predominantly muslims, Most yoruba people from Lagos state down to kwara state are muslims, are you now saying they are at the bottom?
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Ibime(m): 10:05am On Aug 11, 2009
ishmael:

You are only displaying naivity and ignorance here. Auchi people are predominantly muslims, Most yoruba people from Lagos state down to kwara state are muslims, are you now saying they are at the bottom?

Juxtaposed against the Christian Yorubas, they are. Check the Jamb stats!
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by biggjoe(m): 10:32am On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

You can also observe it in the streets, there is practically nobody in urban areas that does not understand English or can't read.

Your source with a link please.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by nex(m): 10:50am On Aug 11, 2009
It is lovely that my state has the second highest density of educated people, but link please.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Afam(m): 10:56am On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

Sorry, but thats called ignorance.

This article has some nice graphs, factor in population and do the math http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2009/feb/101.html

The link referenced is clear on literacy level so dis ya density abi na viscosity dey confuse me.

The funny thing is that the South East are usually taunted as a region where their guys don't go to school yet year in year out their guys enrol more into higher institution than all the other regions.

It seems that very soon if merit is respected you will end up seeing the Igbos dominate the work force from government to private while others are busy playing the hate game and terming every single Igbo man a trader.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by CrudeOil2(m): 11:07am On Aug 11, 2009
poverty and illiteracy in nigeria is a northern phenomenom. Nigeria is ranked among the poorest countries because of this.
a relative who works with neco told me that in Borno state, they have to be begged sometimes, before they come and take their exams.
about 80 - 90 percent of the country's wealth sits in the south.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by CrudeOil2(m): 11:08am On Aug 11, 2009
the only thing they do have is the political power, which is held by their powerful elite and they also have a hold over the nigerian army.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by naso2(m): 11:15am On Aug 11, 2009
The illitracy level in the north is a weapon used by the elites to weild the direction of National politics. Only a few know whats happening , others just follow without asking why?
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by muhsin(m): 11:37am On Aug 11, 2009
Ibime:

Juxtaposed against the Christian Yorubas, they are. Check the Jamb stats!

The earlier statement you are trying to justify is yet fallacious and inaccurate.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Ibime(m): 12:02pm On Aug 11, 2009
muhsin:

The earlier statement you are trying to justify is yet fallacious and inaccurate.

What is fallacious. . . . that a large percentage of muslim women do not pursue education?

Why not counter that argument with stats from Saudi Arabia, Northern Nigeria or any muslim state you wish.

Same Kwara State is nowhere near the level of achievement of any other Yoruba state on any educational index.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 6:00pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

Not too fast. You may want to tell us the population of SS versus SE as given by the last census. You may want to tell us the populationn of each of the states with high literacy level. The reason why many people would speak broken English in the SS is clear enough: too many different tribes resulting to the fact that a form of universal language has to be adopted. SE and SW have their main languages. I do not know if speaking broken English translates to literacy. Can these people read and write? Based on these, I doubt if SS has a higher relative litearcy rate than SE. Moreover, Cross River is  known to be an educationally-disadvantaged state
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2009
i am sure some of the richest nigerians are in the north as well.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by mamagee6(f): 6:16pm On Aug 11, 2009
Every rich Nigerian is a thief.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Accepts To Serve In Jonathan’s Government / Senators Move To Impeach saraki / Breaking News!! Aso Rock Is Boiling At The Moment!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.