Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,689 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies (1806 Views)

Miyetti Allah Endorses Buhari, Mohammed Abubakar For Second Term / Dave Umahi Endorses Buhari For Second Term In 2019 / Tinubu Criticizes Buhari's Economic Policies, Says I Won't Ignore The Truth.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 8:36pm On May 01, 2016
WORLD BANK ENDORSES BUHARI’S ECONOMIC POLICIES

The Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer of the
World Bank, Ms Sri Mulyani Indrawati, has endorsed the
economic policies of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Indrawati who briefed State House Correspondents after
meeting with the President at the Presidential Villa yesterday said her visit to Nigeria was productive as she met with some five state governors of the North eastern states with whom she discussed issues affecting the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).

According to her, the World Bank also backed Buhari’s anti
corruption efforts and his resolve to diversify the economy.
“We see that Nigeria and the leadership of President
Muhammadu Buhari is now launching the objective of
restoring stability and security, the second one is creating
jobs and eradicating poverty, the third is fighting corruption.

I think these are very commendable goals and we discussed
with the government about how we can support the law in
order for the government and its leadership to achieve the
goals.

“We had the opportunity to meet with five governors of
different states in order to discuss more on our
programmes to support with the North-East region,
especially dealing with Internally Displaced People and how
to restore both the livelihood of the people with the
development programme.

“So, we discussed both in terms of what is the area of
priority, the mode of engagement and the operational
details of how this is going to be used in the most effective
way. We also discussed more in terms of the need to
diversify the economy away from oil.

“We also discussed on how to improve the fiscal side with
the minister of finance under her leadership and try to
improve on the revenue side, whether to improve collection
tax as well as to fight against inefficiency and corruption.

“That is one of the areas which is commendable. We would
like to support all these objectives in order for Nigeria to
have a healthy, stronger and transparent budget, which can
be very useful and effective in addressing the issue of
poverty and creating a healthier and inclusive growth.

“We had time to discuss with the President and the Vice
President about the need of a wider economic agenda. We
discussed about the agricultural sector, infrastructure, but
also the need to pursue and continue doing a very difficult
reform.

“We would like to know how we can help Nigeria to make the very important decisions, whether on micro economic policy and other sectoral policy that will make this economy to move forward to become a strong middle income country to have a much more inclusive growth, to have a vibrant
economic activity and creating job and eradicating poverty.

Speaking President Buhari has urged the World Bank to do
all within its powers to facilitate the speedy repatriation to
Nigeria of stolen funds still being held by Swiss authorities.

According to a statement by his Senior Special Adviser in
media and publicity, Garba Shehu, the President made the
request while speaking at a meeting with the visiting
Managing Director of the World Bank, Ms. Sri Mulyani
Indrawati.

Buhari said that the repatriation of the additional $320
million US dollars in Switzerland, which has been identified
as illegally taken from Nigeria under the Abacha
administration, will help to ease the current economic
hardship facing the country.

The President assured Indrawati that his administration was
taking appropriate steps to ensure that public funds are no
longer stolen or misappropriated by government officials.

‘‘We need the support of the World Bank for the repatriation
of the funds. We are as concerned as the World Bank about
accountability. If such repatriated funds have been
misapplied in the past, I assure you that the same will not
happen with us.

“Three hundred and twenty million dollars is a lot of money
and we will not allow it to be misappropriated or diverted,’’
President Buhari told Ms. Indrawati.

One of the conditions given by the Swiss Authorities for the
repatriation of the funds is that it should be expended on
the implementation of social programmes for the benefit of
the Nigerian people in an efficient and accountable way,
guaranteed by the monitoring of the World Bank.

Buhari also assured the World Bank Managing Director that
his administration will honour all agreements with the Bank
that will help to stimulate Nigeria’s economy and reduce the
level of poverty in the country.

He said that Nigeria will welcome greater international
assistance for the rehabilitation of damaged homes, schools, health facilities and other infrastructure in the North Eastern states affected by the Boko Haram insurgency.

#GodBlessNigeria
#MyViewsMyThought
Abdulmumin K. Suleiman

https://m.facebook.com groups/1064559330252403?view=permalink&id=1102565253118477&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6279806980696208462%3Amf_story_key.1102565253118477%3Atl_objid.1102565253118477&__tn__=%2As

1 Like

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by chocolateme(f): 8:45pm On May 01, 2016
Eziokwu?

1 Like

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 8:49pm On May 01, 2016
chocolateme:
Eziokwu?

Obu ka'osi mee nwanne m nwanyi.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by SUPERPACK: 8:50pm On May 01, 2016
Wailers where at thou?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Bolade005: 8:51pm On May 01, 2016
Wait I don't get you, facebook is your source?

Which economic policies are we even talking about? Do these people know what's obtainable on the street?

Abeg, put a reliable source there so I can respond appropriately.

7 Likes

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 9:04pm On May 01, 2016
Bolade005:
Wait I don't get you, facebook is your source?

Which economic policies are we even talking about? Do these people know what's obtainable on the street?

Abeg, put a reliable source there so I can respond appropriately.

The economic policies they are talking about is there in the post!

It was originally shared by Buhari's aid on facebook

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 9:05pm On May 01, 2016
SUPERPACK:
Wailers where at thou?

Lolz, wailers won't like this thread!

1 Like

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Weigher: 9:12pm On May 01, 2016
I don't think the woman is talking about Nigeria economy maybe he is talking about another Nigeria from the continent of west Germany grin grin grin if I take my mouth swear for you the way the present janglover economy policies dey affect every part of my business eh, you will think say na ur village witch dey do press up with you. Never again in 2019

5 Likes

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Bolade005: 9:13pm On May 01, 2016
greatiyk4u:

Egbon, You and the aide are jokers.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by ShowYourCertificate: 9:18pm On May 01, 2016
greatiyk4u:

Where's the economic policy? That he'll create jobs and eradicate poverty? That's too vague bro. Even Ezekwesili agrees that it's vague and archaic. He needs to list his economic strategies. How does he intend to create jobs, how will he diversify the economy, set timelines. Buhari certainly needs economics classes and I'm willing to coach him.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Leboska(m): 9:20pm On May 01, 2016
If you believe this rubbish then you can believe anything.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by lilprinze: 9:25pm On May 01, 2016
economic policies that is affecting our country negatively.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 4:51am On May 02, 2016
Weigher:
I don't think the woman is talking about Nigeria economy maybe he is talking about another Nigeria from the continent of west Germany grin grin grin if I take my mouth swear for you the way the present janglover economy policies dey affect every part of my business eh, you will think say na ur village witch dey do press up with you. Never again in 2019

Was your business thriving on corruption before? Take a chill, it is affecting everybody,both rich and the rest, it is a matter of time,

To. Me, it is better delayed and done the right way than hasten and done the wrong way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 4:57am On May 02, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
Where's the economic policy? That he'll create jobs and eradicate poverty? That's too vague bro. Even Ezekwesili agrees that it's vague and archaic. He needs to list his economic strategies. How does he intend to create jobs, how will he diversify the economy, set timelines. Buhari certainly needs economics classes and I'm willing to coach him.

I think a closer look at the 2016 budget document will give you an insight on the short term strategies on how the jobs will be created and even the diversification which are already in progress...............there are plans underway to stimulate the economy through massive infrastructure revival and upgrade in the different sectors of the economy.

Buhari may need economic tutelage but certainly not from you.....Buhari's failure is the suffering of the masses, his success is our victory......

1 Like

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 4:58am On May 02, 2016
Leboska:
If you believe this rubbish then you can believe anything.

I believe it
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by mrvitalis(m): 7:54am On May 02, 2016
The simple truth is this only people who skipped basic economics class in secoundry school or who crammed and passed don't seem the good in what Buhari is trying to do

Its not a sure success... As not even Buhari is sure... But it's a risk we have to take
Nigerians forget that things get worse before they begin to get better
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Amanwulu1(m): 8:41am On May 02, 2016
Den something must be terribly wrong with d policy for d world bank to have endorsed it. It must be enslaving nigeria to them for sure -Zombie

1 Like

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Bobandgreat: 9:52am On May 02, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:

How will u coach him? Will u start with 1cow + 1cow = 2 cows. The dullard is that bad, don't annoy yourself.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Bobandgreat: 9:55am On May 02, 2016
mrvitalis:
The simple truth is this only people who skipped basic economics class in secoundry school or who crammed and passed don't seem the good in what Buhari is trying to do

Its not a sure success... As not even Buhari is sure... But it's a risk we have to take

So I should follow u and an illiterate on a roller coaster ride while u experiment with my present and future. Check ur brain. Zombie symptoms.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 10:40am On May 02, 2016
Bobandgreat:

So I should follow u and an illiterate on a roller coaster ride while u experiment with my present and future. Check ur brain. Zombie symptoms.

If u stress ur brain more, u can articulate something better than this
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by yaki84: 11:45am On May 02, 2016
greatiyk4u:

Was your business thriving on corruption before? Take a chill, it is affecting everybody,both rich and the rest, it is a matter of time,

To. Me, it is better delayed and done the right way than hasten and done the wrong way

so fighting corruption is economic policy?
okay lets accept he wants to diversify the economy, pls to what?
how much did he budget for agricultural sector?
how much was budgetted for solid minerals?
how much was budgetted for oil exploration at the chad basin?
compare the figures n ask urself whether they r at the right path to diversification.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by yaki84: 11:53am On May 02, 2016
mrvitalis:

so u mean if u inherit an uncomplete 20 storey building project from ur dad which was up to 15floors before handover, it has to be demolished before it can be completed by u?
the economy is not bad as we all think, the only thing is the bad policies initiated by buhari.
I can tell u categorically that nigerians have dollars cash in their homes but they cant spend it. there is money in the country but people r unwilling to spend it cos of the policies of buhari.
u dont expect someone to send dolls to nigeria n at the end u r being shortchanged by the banks.
people now deviate ways of doing transactions at the expense of the govt. or do u think nigerians I d diaspora hv stopped sending dollars to nigeria for their people?
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by mrvitalis(m): 12:07pm On May 02, 2016
yaki84:

so u mean if u inherit an uncomplete 20 storey building project from ur dad which was up to 15floors before handover, it has to be demolished before it can be completed by u?
the economy is not bad as we all think, the only thing is the bad policies initiated by buhari.
I can tell u categorically that nigerians have dollars cash in their homes but they cant spend it. there is money in the country but people r unwilling to spend it cos of the policies of buhari.
u dont expect someone to send dolls to nigeria n at the end u r being shortchanged by the banks.
people now deviate ways of doing transactions at the expense of the govt. or do u think nigerians I d diaspora hv stopped sending dollars to nigeria for their people?
If after I examine the house and find the fandation and structural design are on stable should I also continue building??
What Buhari has done is to discourage people from importing and selling.... Produce and sale here now that the cost of the imported goods are high.. .. .
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by mrvitalis(m): 12:08pm On May 02, 2016
yaki84:

If after I examine the house and find the fandation and structural design are unstable, should I also continue building??
What Buhari has done is to discourage people from importing and selling.... Produce and sale here now that the cost of the imported goods are high.. U can also export and compete in the international market... . .. . U can open a domiciliary account get paid ur dollars and exchange at the parallel market.. ... don't be too short sitted bro
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by Weigher: 12:16pm On May 02, 2016
greatiyk4u:

what is this one saying? It is either you are not a Nigerian or you are still living under the glory of your parent/brother, if you fall in any of the categories, you may not knw where the shoe pinches..... I leave you till when you Will started hustle for a dozens people, it is then you will realize The state of things. And for your information, am hustle legally. Ko si bi Omode se fe pe to lo run, ki o ma ba o si ti e laye. Ire o
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by oganology33(m): 12:23pm On May 02, 2016
I know some idiots will call dis good news and celebrate. Unknown 2 them that Nigeria is in trouble if the world Bank is happy abt our economic policies because itz gonna fail.
One thing I've learnt from imperialism is dat if the West endorses ur policies it means it is bound 2 fail. And if the reject it, then ur on the right path.
Our underdevelopment is their continued development. Our development is a threat 2 dia stable and flourishing economy.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by yaki84: 12:29pm On May 02, 2016
mrvitalis:

If after I examine the house and find the fandation and structural design are unstable, should I also continue building??
What Buhari has done is to discourage people from importing and selling.... Produce and sale here now that the cost of the imported goods are high.. U can also export and compete in the international market... . .. . U can open a domiciliary account get paid ur dollars and exchange at the parallel market.. ... don't be too short sitted bro

the currency swap between china n nigeria what was it for? to build refineries I guess. was it not for easy trades between the 2countries which favour china d most considering the fact we r import dependent nation.
for a mere fact that the uncompleted 30 storey building which has 15floors already is still standing for years sshudnt be checked for faulty foundations.
r they still opening dom account? tht s d question.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by mrvitalis(m): 2:09pm On May 02, 2016
yaki84:

the currency swap between china n nigeria what was it for? to build refineries I guess. was it not for easy trades between the 2countries which favour china d most considering the fact we r import dependent nation.
for a mere fact that the uncompleted 30 storey building which has 15floors already is still standing for years sshudnt be checked for faulty foundations.
r they still opening dom account? tht s d question.
No no no... U don't get it
The currency swap deal was the reduce the pressure on dollar on the part of Nigeria
Before I want to but goods from China.. . I have to change naira to dollar the to yarn.. .
And China trade is upto 40% Nigeria foreign trade
But now if I want to buy goods from China I just convert to yarn direct.... And these will lower the demand for dollar
Hope u get the magic
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by yaki84: 3:41pm On May 02, 2016
mrvitalis:

No no no... U don't get it
The currency swap deal was the reduce the pressure on dollar on the part of Nigeria
Before I want to but goods from China.. . I have to change naira to dollar the to yarn.. .
And China trade is upto 40% Nigeria foreign trade
But now if I want to buy goods from China I just convert to yarn direct.... And these will lower the demand for dollar
Hope u get the magic

u dey contradict urself.
u said govt dont want us to import again but to manufacture what we consumed, then I mentioned the currency swap deal which encourages importation n not manufacturing n u r talking lower on demand on dollar.
bobo buhari is on policy somersault.
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by mrvitalis(m): 3:48pm On May 02, 2016
yaki84:

u dey contradict urself.
u said govt dont want us to import again but to manufacture what we consumed, then I mentioned the currency swap deal which encourages importation n not manufacturing n u r talking lower on demand on dollar.
bobo buhari is on policy somersault.
U really don't understand.. ... That's a short term remedy
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by greatiyk4u(m): 4:31pm On May 02, 2016
Lalasticlala,mynd44 come and check this fresh news
Re: World Bank Endorses Buhari’s Economic Policies by ShowYourCertificate: 7:46pm On May 05, 2016
mrvitalis:

U really don't understand.. ... That's a short term remedy
Short term remedy for importation? I laugh with kilishi on my mouth grin

(1) (Reply)

Bri. Gen. Dongoyaro's Speech On The Overthrow Of Major Gen. Buhari in 1985 / Top 5 Nigeria States That Are Always In The News / Umuigbo What Will It Take To Found Another Ohaneze? - (igbos Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.