Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? (24134 Views)

What Is The Difference Between a Cover Letter And an Application Letter? / "I Am Eating Suya With Your NNPC Application Letter For 2017 Job" / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Ezegozie(m): 8:36am On May 02, 2016
These two things confuse me Just like CV and Resume did to me before being enlightened about them.
Now Who Will explain Application letter and Cover letter and point the similarities and differences if any?

And please it will be highly appreciated if you post samples

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by yomalex(m): 8:37am On May 02, 2016
To the best of my knowledge Application letter is to declare your interest in the job whilecover letter is to show (qualifications, experiences)why you are fit for the job. See Cover Letter Sample

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by nurez305(m): 9:30am On May 02, 2016
Oga, all join joor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Ezegozie(m): 9:34am On May 02, 2016
yomalex:
To the best of my knowledge Application letter is to declare your interest in the job whilecover letter is to show (qualifications, experiences)why you are fit for the job. See Cover Letter Sample
Thanks sir ,
I really appreciate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by oladefirst2(m): 11:54am On May 02, 2016
All join jare
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Nature129(m): 12:55pm On May 02, 2016
Ezegozie:
These two things confuse me Just like CV and Resume did to me before being enlightened about them.
Now Who Will explain Application letter and Cover letter and point the similarities and differences if any?

Anyone can easily pass an application letter for a cover letter because both of them serve the same purpose, but there is a difference. The difference between the 2 is that an application letter "can stand alone" while a cover letter "can't stand alone."

To make myself understood clearer, when you send an application letter, you don't necessarily have to send a CV alongside unlike a cover letter. So a cover letter just like the name denotes covers/serves your CV. That is, when you send your CV to an employer, you send your cover letter alongside. A good cover letter will always say, "As you will see from my enclosed CV..." This tells your prospective employer that you are discussing what you have on your CV.

As for samples, go to Google search and type "Good cover letter samples" and click on "image." They will give you lots of them.

Alternatively, get a copy of Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th Edition, to get all the info you need about how to write cover letters, CVs, essay, films, reports, proposals, etc on its thick page.

Remember that good CV and cover letters don't give jobs, they merely earn you interviews.

Hope this helps...grin

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Abdul4trust1(m): 3:25pm On May 02, 2016
Good Response From The Poster Above Me.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Ezegozie(m): 4:49pm On May 02, 2016
Nature129:

Anyone can easily pass an application letter for a cover letter because both of them serve the same purpose, but there is a difference. The difference between the 2 is that an application letter "can stand alone" while a cover letter "can't stand alone."

To make myself understood clearer, when you send an application letter, you don't necessarily have to send a CV alongside unlike a cover letter. So a cover letter just like the name denotes covers/serves your CV. That is, when you send your CV to an employer, you send your cover letter alongside. A good cover letter will always say, "As you will see from my enclosed CV..." This tells your prospective employer that you are discussing what you have on your CV.

As for samples, go to Google search and type "Good cover letter samples" and click on "image." They will give you lots of them.

Alternatively, get a copy of Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th Edition, to get all the info you need about how to write cover letters, CVs, essay, films, reports, proposals, etc on its thick page.

Remember that good CV and cover letters don't give jobs, they merely earn you interviews.

Hope this helps...grin
Thanks so much.
You have said it all

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by nenergy(m): 5:16pm On May 02, 2016
Simply put, application letter is 2Face, while Cover letter is P-Square!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Built2last: 5:50pm On May 02, 2016
Ok
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by ERONX(m): 5:51pm On May 02, 2016
An Application letter is used for applying for a job. While A cover letter is a document sent with your resume to provide additional information on your skills and experience. The letter typically provides detailed information on why you are qualified for the job you are applying for.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by StevenJay01(m): 5:52pm On May 02, 2016
Cover letter is Tee bills while CV is Duro Tiwa
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by adedam007(m): 5:53pm On May 02, 2016
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by goingape: 5:53pm On May 02, 2016
Ezegozie:

what is the different between you and a caveman?

the difference is that the caveman don't have access to Google while you do! and yet the cavemen once rule THIS world with there limited source if knowledge!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 02, 2016
Just like garri and eba

OR

PDP and Kwarruption grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Kx: 5:56pm On May 02, 2016
At this rate, some day they will tell us there is a difference btw Sur name and last name

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by nmreports: 5:57pm On May 02, 2016
Okay here goes:

An application letter is a straight to the point letter indicating your interest in a position as well as a brief introduction of your qualifications.

A cover letter is totally different. It spells your achievement in your former job and current job most especially as it relates to the job you are applying for.
You have an opportunity to elaborate your cv/ resume as well as your awards on the letter.

NOTE: What will show on your cover letter totally depends on the job, your discipline, if you are a professional, graduate etc.
So what I wrote is not cast in stone.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by SafetyFirst(m): 5:58pm On May 02, 2016
Six and half a dozen; one and the same.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by zoneros(m): 6:03pm On May 02, 2016
Application Letter:
*Can stand alone
* More detailed
*May contain details such as Educational background, career objectives etc.

Cover letter
*Cannot stand alone: it has to be attached to the document (not necessarily résumé)
*Just an introductory statement showing your interest in the job.
"Less detailed, may not be more than a few lines.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Miscellaneous(m): 6:09pm On May 02, 2016
hmmm.. nice thread
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Chuksemi(m): 6:14pm On May 02, 2016
Good
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by goldenceo1: 6:17pm On May 02, 2016
Here to Learn...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by ConcernMan: 6:19pm On May 02, 2016
Trust me, there is no real difference between them. I think it is a matter of semantics. Having been put in the task of reviewing over 900 application/cover letters and CVs of prospecting employees for an oil and gas company, it was unthinkable for us to process any candidate for an interview without seeing a copy of his/her application/cover letter supporting his/her CV
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by PAnaceA7(m): 6:20pm On May 02, 2016
Interesting
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 02, 2016
I have done a research on this when I graduated many years back, when I googled cover letter, most formats I saw looked like an application such that I concluded they are same. Except for a cover letter, you are not applying for a specific job. But they have similar format. Check and get back to me. I want to know more.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Tmaritas76(m): 6:23pm On May 02, 2016
Cover letter is after writing the application letter you use white paper to cover it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by mohammad11: 6:31pm On May 02, 2016
Nature129:

Hope this helps...grin

You said it better.
Mucha Gracias

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by shine12: 6:40pm On May 02, 2016
I think they are the same but are called different names in different country.When I was living in Nigeria in early 2000s.I never heard of cover letter but just application letter.On moving to the UK,I hear only about cover letter.Both tells/should tell about your interest in the job,your experience and why you should be considered for the role.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by iamgiggssleaky(m): 6:47pm On May 02, 2016
Tmaritas76:
Cover letter is after writing the application letter you use white paper to cover it.

Nice one Baba....
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by 0955eb027(m): 6:55pm On May 02, 2016
@op, abeg gimme the mail address wey you wan send your application to. You might be wondering why i want to apply for a job, and i dont know the position/job function. Do i need to know?. The answer is No. Why?. Because i have applied for lots of position and i am still jobless. But now, anything goes, even taking up a position at Hogwarts school of witch and wizadry, i am down for it. Na play o
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by oba2flex(m): 7:13pm On May 02, 2016
Tmaritas76:
grin grin grin
Abeg no kill me with laugh
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Darayola(m): 7:13pm On May 02, 2016
Nature129:

Hope this helps...grin
Is the addressing style the same?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Got Three Job Offers Within A Week / N-power Beneficiaries Share Experiences / Kaduna Government Recruiting 25,000 Teachers For Primary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.