Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? (24136 Views)

What Is The Difference Between a Cover Letter And an Application Letter? / "I Am Eating Suya With Your NNPC Application Letter For 2017 Job" / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by firstolalekan(m): 7:15pm On May 02, 2016
yomalex:
To the best of my knowledge Application letter is to declare your interest in the job whilecover letter is to show (qualifications, experiences)why you are fit for the job. See Cover Letter Sample
Turned upside down sad
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 02, 2016
Someone shd pls drop a sample of a cover letter n any position
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by yomalex(m): 7:31pm On May 02, 2016
firstolalekan:
Turned upside down sad
care to explain better?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Nature129(m): 7:35pm On May 02, 2016
Darayola:

Is the addressing style the same?

From my findings, yes, they are. They are both formal letters and must have both your address and the coy's address.

In a cover letter, you'll discuss the content of your CV as well as why you are the best (wo)man for the job.

More tips: Notice that if you start with, Dear Sir/Ma/Recruiting Officer/HRM, then you must end with "Yours faithfully," but when you start with a name like "Dear Mr. Tunde, Dear Engr. Emma, Dear Dr. Emeka" then you must end with "Yours sincerely."

Just get the dictionary I talked about from a friend or even an enemy, it will help you with these things grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by firstolalekan(m): 7:45pm On May 02, 2016
yomalex:
care to explain better?
It's self explanatory. smiley
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by professore(m): 7:46pm On May 02, 2016
Nature129:

Anyone can easily pass an application letter for a cover letter because both of them serve the same purpose, but there is a difference. The difference between the 2 is that an application letter "can stand alone" while a cover letter "can't stand alone."

To make myself understood clearer, when you send an application letter, you don't necessarily have to send a CV alongside unlike a cover letter. So a cover letter just like the name denotes covers/serves your CV. That is, when you send your CV to an employer, you send your cover letter alongside. A good cover letter will always say, "As you will see from my enclosed CV..." This tells your prospective employer that you are discussing what you have on your CV.

As for samples, go to Google search and type "Good cover letter samples" and click on "image." They will give you lots of them.

Alternatively, get a copy of Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th Edition, to get all the info you need about how to write cover letters, CVs, essay, films, reports, proposals, etc on its thick page.

Remember that good CV and cover letters don't give jobs, they merely earn you interviews.

Hope this helps...grin
U made sense

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by just2endowed: 7:59pm On May 02, 2016
Sup
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by KENZYYONG(m): 7:59pm On May 02, 2016
Nature129:

Anyone can easily pass an application letter for a cover letter because both of them serve the same purpose, but there is a difference. The difference between the 2 is that an application letter "can stand alone" while a cover letter "can't stand alone."

To make myself understood clearer, when you send an application letter, you don't necessarily have to send a CV alongside unlike a cover letter. So a cover letter just like the name denotes covers/serves your CV. That is, when you send your CV to an employer, you send your cover letter alongside. A good cover letter will always say, "As you will see from my enclosed CV..." This tells your prospective employer that you are discussing what you have on your CV.

As for samples, go to Google search and type "Good cover letter samples" and click on "image." They will give you lots of them.

Alternatively, get a copy of Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th Edition, to get all the info you need about how to write cover letters, CVs, essay, films, reports, proposals, etc on its thick page.

Remember that good CV and cover letters don't give jobs, they merely earn you interviews.

Hope this helps...grin

To add to what he has said...cover letter is just your c.v simplified...ie explaining in details all about you... And it goes with your application letter... Just as he said it shows or it portrays how fit and most suited for the position...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by OluwaGolden(m): 8:06pm On May 02, 2016
A cover letter is different from an application letter because it's like a reference letter from an organization or a notable personalty vouching for you

Ezegozie:
These two things confuse me Just like CV and Resume did to me before being enlightened about them.
Now Who Will explain Application letter and Cover letter and point the similarities and differences if any?

And please it will be highly appreciated if you post samples
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by yomalex(m): 8:07pm On May 02, 2016
firstolalekan:
It's self explanatory. smiley
I don't undestand how it's upside down sad
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Jonwesley(m): 8:40pm On May 02, 2016
Somehow I wonder why people who don't know or have a good idea about a subject would not keep quiet, instead of confusing the poster who seeks to know the right thing.

They are certainly not the same. A cover is normally a defence, a bold and daring letter saying you are the best fit, that addresses the requirements expected, like ur qualifications, skills and experiences for the job position U are applying. It states some aspects of ur cv but not everything, and must be done on a single page.

The Application letter as the name implies, is ur statement of interest for the job or the vacancy as advertised. It is also used to convey or present ur cover letter and cv to the recipient HR Mgr as the case may be.

Now the confusion is however that when U are submitting the application by email, the Application letter ought to be like ur email cover again, while U still attach the Application letter, the cover letter and the cv to the email. This is because it's only the attachments that will be printed, not ur email cover letter. If this is not done, U will have no application letter at the end, but only cover letter and cv

The essence of the email cover letter is for sorting the applications as it must also state the position with its reference nos or tags.

Therefore cover letters cannot be the same for every position except the requirements for each vacancy are the same. And so writing samples here is just not something I wish to do since one model will not be enough for the learners here.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by ibnabdullahi: 9:52pm On May 02, 2016
Tmaritas76:
Cover letter is after writing the application letter you use white paper to cover it.
WTF! walahi i dey pity ur condition....
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by ibnabdullahi: 9:54pm On May 02, 2016
abeg make i cover dis space, i won go carry my phone
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Nten: 12:17am On May 03, 2016
shine12:
I think they are the same but are called different names in different country.When I was living in Nigeria in early 2000s.I never heard of cover letter but just application letter.On moving to the UK,I hear only about cover letter.Both tells/should tell about your interest in the job,your experience and why you should be considered for the role.
U have simplistically dissected the question: interest, experience, considerations are the watch words. more detailed information than applications
Re: What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? by Daniyomex(m): 11:02am On May 03, 2016
Tmaritas76:
Cover letter is after writing the application letter you use white paper to cover it.
Receive sense!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Got Three Job Offers Within A Week / N-power Beneficiaries Share Experiences / Kaduna Government Recruiting 25,000 Teachers For Primary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.