Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate (57918 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / 9 Bizzare Sentences That Are Perfectly Accurate / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:21am On May 02, 2016
I know even educated people commit grammatical blunders sometimes but there are grammatical blunders that are just so outrageous and shameful at the same time, when they come right out of the mouths of supposed 'graduates' from tertiary institutions!

If you have been guilty of the following as regard spoken English, then you have clearly moved from being a 'Half-baked' graduate to a 'Quarter-baked' graduate!!! grin grin

1) 'You are smarting'...I heard a guy at a plaza who claimed to be a graduate saying this! Gush! Being smart is very different from being fast or slick. By the way, there's no verb such as 'smarting' in English language which means the same thing as what this young man was trying to say! cool

2) 'You are showing yourself'...just like the one above, how can someone be 'showing' himself/herself? So human being don turn movie? Na wa o!

3) 'Oya, come and go'...two opposite verbs. You are telling the person to come and at the same time, to go! grin Again, what's the meaning of 'Oya'?

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol! grin

5) 'My phone is 'more' better than yours...this sentence can surely make you appear a 'quarter-bakie' wink You can't use two comparative adjectives in a sentence! We have good, better, best. When you compare two things, the middle one which is 'better' should be used so there's no need for 'more' which is also a comparative adjective but goes with 'than'. As in 'more than' cool

6) 'Did she went to the market'?...as absurd as this sentence is, I have seen many 'graduates' saying it! Two verbs with past tense form in the same sentence?

7) 'Ola, something is smelling. Can you hear it...ehen!!! 'HEAR'? English!!!

8. 'People has' or 'she have'...'has' is a singular auxiliary verb that goes with a singular subject while 'have' is a plural auxiliary verb that goes with a plural subject.

9) 'They takes people for granted'...this one is common on NL. A plural subject does not go with a singular verb and vice versa. 'Take' is plural and 'takes' is singular which goes with a singular subject as well. Take note of 'They' being a plural subject.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing! grin

I hope these help! We are all learning. It is only a foolish man that takes offence when he is corrected!

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!

171 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 11:23am On May 02, 2016
LOL

2 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:25am On May 02, 2016
MondeLuv:
LOL
grin Imagine!

3 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by DesChyko: 11:27am On May 02, 2016
Lol.. I take it you don't read much novels. Smarting is also a verb. It's a reaction of a person or the skin to a sharp pain like a whip.

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 11:28am On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
grin Imagine!
"Come and be going" gringrin

10 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:31am On May 02, 2016
DesChyko:
Lol.. I take it you don't read much novels. Smarting is also a verb. It's a reaction of a person or the skin to a sharp pain like a whip.
When people say someone is 'smarting', does it mean they are talking about the skin? You need to be serious.

We are looking at the context in which the word is being used.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Peacetemi: 11:32am On May 02, 2016
Anyone found guilty is definitely not a college graduate, he/she just broke out of college.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by DesChyko: 11:33am On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
When people say someone is 'smarting', does it mean they are talking about the skin? You need to be serious.

You said there's no such verb as smart.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:34am On May 02, 2016
DesChyko:

You said there's no such verb as smart.
Read the first post where I quoted you cool

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:36am On May 02, 2016
Peacetemi:
Anyone found guilty is definitely not a college graduate, he/she just broke out of college.
Sometimes, it is so irritating. Speaking pidgin English or vernacular would be better grin

3 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by DesChyko: 11:39am On May 02, 2016
That's by the way. One problem with No. 6 is that the use of 'Did' as in a question. Since one isn't sure of the answer, expressing the main verb as 'past tense' doesn't make sense since it appears as if one already has knowledge of what he is asking after. In this case, it becomes a redundant question.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:43am On May 02, 2016
DesChyko:
That's by the way. One problem with No. 6 is that the use of 'Did' as in questioning. Since one isn't sure of the answer, expressing the main verb as 'past tense' doesn't make sense since it appears as if one already has knowledge of what he is asking after. In this case, it becomes a redundant question.
...yet, it is still a common blunder.

Lalasticlala, olawalebabs, Richiez, Fynestboi
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 1:58pm On May 02, 2016
@ rapmoney some of dem r correct but nt in normal-general english. if u r a student of literature u'll get me better

4 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 2:53pm On May 02, 2016
seanwilliam:
@ rapmoney some of dem r correct but nt in normal-general english. if u r a student of literature u'll get me better
I don't believe that grin Point them out!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 3:00pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
I don't believe that grin Point them out!
example: what says the time- dis s actually correct, it's personification, so same goes wit every other

3 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 3:13pm On May 02, 2016
seanwilliam:
example: what says the time- dis s actually correct, it's personification, so same goes wit every other
Haba! That's generally known! cool I thought you wanted to point to something I didn't know.

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 3:24pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Haba! That's generally known! cool I thought you wanted to point to something I didn't know.
but in general english it is nt correct o
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by ichommy(m): 4:32pm On May 02, 2016
RAPMONEY, Oil dey your head. Your post dey always make brain.

One Orijin for you Sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 4:58pm On May 02, 2016
ichommy:
RAPMONEY, Oil dey your head. Your post dey always make brain.

One Orijin for you Sir.
Thanks bro! cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 5:00pm On May 02, 2016
seanwilliam:
but in general english it is nt correct o
Now, consider the ones I listed. They are so outrageous! We still have many sentences like that, used by graduates cool wink
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 5:37pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Now, consider the ones I listed. They are so outrageous! We still have many sentences like that, used by graduates cool wink
we r drivin' at d same direction....some sentences r actually correct if it's viewed in literary perspective. so they shud b exclusively utilized where they'r suitable. although english s nt our language but some positions-graduates etc- demand fluency
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by oglalasioux(m): 6:04pm On May 02, 2016
All languages have spoken and written versions. You can say some things in English and be forgiven but it's not the case when you put it to writing.

9 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by letsbet(m): 6:15pm On May 02, 2016
cheesy
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 6:32pm On May 02, 2016
seanwilliam:
we r drivin' at d same direction....some sentences r actually correct if it's viewed in literary perspective. so they shud b exclusively utilized where they'r suitable. although english s nt our language but some positions-graduates etc- demand fluency
Ok. Bro, take a closer look at the few ones I mentioned and see if they are not out of place. Though, they are hilarious to an extent cheesy
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by jtwest(m): 7:30pm On May 02, 2016
Tell that to the boovs, officer Kyle and oh!

3 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Singapore1(m): 8:22pm On May 02, 2016
j
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Singapore1(m): 8:25pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Ok. Bro, take a closer look at the few ones I mentioned and see if they are not out of place. Though, they are hilarious to an extent cheesy
you posted the PROBLEM you didn't post the SOLUTION
please make amendment by giving example of the correct sentence of each wrong statement

NOTE that i am not guilty of any of this

thanks

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Dan42(m): 8:47pm On May 02, 2016
English hard o... But, it's not by force to speak English. If e too hard you speak pidgin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by kudoxs(m): 8:59pm On May 02, 2016
Graduates don't go to university or polytechnic to learn how to speak good english. This is pure african mentality, many indians guru out there went to the best Universities and can't even speak good English but they work in reputable organizations all over the world. You want to know why? It's because spoken language doesn't matter but how well you can contribute to an organization or the world at large.

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by olafum1(m): 9:09pm On May 02, 2016
Op. What is the problem with 7 *something is smelling*?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 9:20pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
1,2,4,7 and 10 r correct but NOT in general english. btw it's laughable wen graduates can't express themselve englishically(lols). wat cause dis r some parried factors-family background, environment, peer group- whch later bounce back on the their spoken english

2 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 9:26pm On May 02, 2016
seanwilliam:
1,2,4,7 and 10 r correct but NOT in general english. btw it's laughable wen graduates can't express themselve englishically(lols). wat cause dis r some parried factors-family background, environment, peer group- whch later bounce back on the their spoken english
True cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NDA Kaduna Expels Cadets For Indiscipline / What Is Next For Me After Withdrawal From The University? / Beautiful Pictures Of Matriculants From Covenant University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.