Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU (9004 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by hakeem4(m): 1:26pm On May 08, 2016
Usuaj
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by bizza45: 1:29pm On May 08, 2016
hahahaha
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by ThatNova(m): 1:31pm On May 08, 2016
i don't think it's a good tool IMO..... you see the ignorant many spewing rubbish about the current leadership and they even end up convincing the learned few into believing their trash.... i seriously oppose

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 1:32pm On May 08, 2016
Dejman check on the chat room thread.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Gosj01(m): 1:46pm On May 08, 2016
I believe Social Media is more like a checkmate, whereby a personality online presence can either be managed or tarnished!

I support though!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Gosj01(m): 1:50pm On May 08, 2016
ThatNova:
i don't think it's a good tool IMO..... you see the ignorant many spewing rubbish about the current leadership and they even end up convincing the learned few into believing their trash.... i seriously oppose
I agree with this, but I think this is the reason why majority now employ media PR to manage their image on every SNS

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by AmbodOfLASU: 1:50pm On May 08, 2016
GREATEST LASUITES!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Eduntee(m): 2:06pm On May 08, 2016
The advancement of communication technology, social media has changed the way people communicate with each other. According to Edosomwan et al. (2011), social media is not a new concept as it has evolved since the dawn of human interaction yet it plays a vital role in transforming business and communication and now a major player in most people, business lives. More so, social media has also burgeoned into one of the most used channels of communication in the society. Extensive research shows and supports the use of social media such as Face book, Twitter, blogs and YouTube for communication and engagement with their customers as well as employees. Good day Chairman, panel of judges, accurate time keeper, and my fellow talk mate I am Eduntee representing the prestigious Lagos State University and am here to support the motion which says ‘social media a tool for measuring effective leadership. For the purpose of this debate, I shall define some important key terms which goes down to the root of this topic, this includes what is social media, who is a leader and how these two concept measure effective leadership.
A leader is someone or something that leads or guides others, someone who organizes or is in charge of a group. Inferably Leadership is the state of being a leader or in fact the ability to lead others while social media are computer mediated tools that allow people or companies to create, share, or exchange information, career interests, ideas, and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks
Let take a journey back in time before the advent of computer age, probably during medieval age the most effective way of gathering and communicating information from the leader to the led then, was purely through the use of town courier’s and in some places the use of talking drums usually played on top of mountain, however this system had it own defects cause a particular village could easily claim they didn’t hear the drum play, this however could have slowed things especially where it involves quick decision making and execution of important plans, however thanks to the coming of computer, easier ways like audio visual, Skype, YouTube etc were develop to facilitate easy ways of dispersing information among leaders and the populace therefore world leaders could easily sit in comfort of their counties and decide to hold meetings through the use of Skype and other social media to take effective decision , this only those not save the cost of travelling, it reduces the risk attached to travelling.
It would amount to a shallow and myopic overview of this topic, if it is narrowed and streamlined only to communication alone, however it is imperative to state that the point hereafter are intertwined.
Furtherance to the above, another area the use of social media has ensured effective measure of leadership could be seen in the area of business. Recent research conducted by (Greenwald,2010) showed in it result that the benefits of using social media for internal communication in terms of cost effectiveness, improvement of job satisfaction, productivity and sharing of information among organizational members, as well as producing better communication, stronger relationships and engagement between the management, leaders and employees. Leadership communication is an important element in organizations as this form of communication affects organizational members, employees which in turn will affect the organization’s performance. Internal communication is an area which in past has been neglected is now gaining importance lately, because studies conducted show that effective internal communication has positive impact for the employees, workplace environment, productivity and the company hence communication is key to being a good leader, thus leaders effective communication with employees will motivate a workforce to contribute to the company’s financial success.

In addition to the above effective social media leadership has also been used to educate. Social media has proven be a tool for learning and community building tool. It turns an organization and social enterprise into a global classroom. It’s also an unparalleled arena for questions to be asked and answered delivered. One question I ask my fellow talk mate and the audience in general goes this thus. What is currently happening on this platform? The leadership of this great platform (nairaland) has deemed it fit to organize debate competition by using this platform to educate her visitors and member. The next question that pops into my head is that, would this not be a tool to measure the effectiveness of the leadership of this platform by seeing to invest knowledge to her members and visitors. I leave us to answer that question individually.

More so social media leadership has also been used to monitor things going on around a leader. Social media allows leaders to keep in touch of what’s happening around, it helps them from losing touch with reality. Successes are revealed more quickly, and resources can be added to carry forward or sustain the gains and proceeds from their business. Setbacks are easier to spot, and losses can be cut. Social media creates a central system that is sensitive, responsive and revealing. Social media has a rhythm and a pulse, and leaders learn how to respond to the rhythm and check the pulse. When they do, they discover they have a whole new set of eyes and ears.

In conclusion to the above I see no reason any person with full thinking capacity would come to say social media is not a tool for measuring effective leadership if in fact the means by which he or she would represent and express that will not be by the use of social media. Thank you

Reference
http://www.businessesgrow.com/2014/10/06/social-media-and-leadership/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanbiro/2013/11/17/7-characteristics-of-a-social-leader/#340b02ed63b1
http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/high-tech/our-insights/six-social-media-skills-every-leader-needs
http://www.leadershipchallenge.com/resource/social-media-and-leadership-development.aspx
http://www.universitypublications.net/ijas/0801/html/U4K549.xml
The Use of Social Media in Leadership Communication: Benefits, Challenges and Leaders’ Perspectives Cheng Ean (Catherine) Lee Sunway University, Malaysia.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 2:14pm On May 08, 2016
Catalystic4real oya come. In. There is a counter argument here.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Satex(m): 2:21pm On May 08, 2016
Social media is supposed to be tool for measuring good leadership, but this purpose has been abused. These days, social media is used to peddle falsehood. Actually, achievement can be felt physically and not on social media.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 2:21pm On May 08, 2016
Eduntee check your opponent argument on the first page.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 2:24pm On May 08, 2016
nopretense:

who came first between unilorin and (wc oda schl debated sef?)?

7pm Today. Don't miss it.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by IamDejman(m): 2:29pm On May 08, 2016
Good day Chairman, Panel of judges, Accurate time keeper and Fellow Debaters, I remain IamDejman representing Lagos State University and I support the motion 'Social media a tool for measuring effective leadership.'

An effective leader is a person with a passion for a cause that is larger than they are. An effective leader is someone with a dream and vision that will better the society or, at least, some portion of it. Flowing from the above, there are several tools used to measure the effectiveness of a leader. How to know whether the Leader is truly a person with a passion for a cause and whether he is someone with a dream and vision that can better the society. Social media gives all of us the power to create, share, learn, collaborate, and solve problems, without relying as much on third-party institutions to help us get it done. This is really powerful, because that is what human beings are wired to do. We love creating, sharing, learning, and solving problems, and we are deeply attracted to opportunities to do so. That’s why there are a billion people on Facebook, even though the content is fairly inane.

It should be known today that I authoritatively confirm through fact-findings that Social Media is one of these tools. Social media encourages horizontal collaboration and unscripted conversations that moves in paths randomly across management hierarchies. It thereby short-circuits established power dynamics and our traditional lines of communication.
The dynamics of social media is used to amplify the need for qualities that have long been a staple of effective leadership. These qualities are strategic creativity, authentic communication, and the ability to deal with social and political dynamics and to design an agile and responsive society. Leaders need to excel at co creation and collaboration; these are said to be the currencies of the social-media world.

Queen Rania of Jordan said “Social media are a catalyst for the advancement of everyone's rights. It's where we're reminded that we're all human and all equal. It's where people can find and fight for a cause, global or local, popular or specialized, even when there are hundreds of miles between them”. Social media, truly, is a platform whereby followers are made to be connected to their leaders. It ensures accountability, transparency and effective leadership.

Using Nigeria as a case study, Goodluck Jonathan used the social media, back then in 2011 to campaign for his election as President of Nigeria and it helped him a lot as Nigerians followed his accounts on various social media platforms and were touched at the First leader to use Social media to get to his people but along the line, he lost his touch. The same people that had compassion for him lost it due to the owing fact that he lost touch with his followers after emergence. Professor Yemi Osibanjo and All Progressive Party both used the social media, during the build up to Election2015 Nigeria to campaign for their emergence and it helped out as Nigeria felt their presence through Social Media. Our Own President, Muhammadu Buhari, wasn’t a fan of the social media but was forced by his PR team to create account on various platforms to get in touch and closer to Nigerians at the grassroot. Since his emergence, he had been updating his people. Projects, Journeys and, generally, activities of his government have been made known to the people via Social Media and this has helped his government. Though there are different assumptions on his style of government, the Social media has helped the people measure his government’s performance. Also, not long ago, you only had to face your constituents every few months when you planned a trip back home from Abuja. Now the leaders are exposed to the constant clanging of public opinion through Social media. They are sometimes fighting for political relevance minute by minute. In some ways, this feedback is transformational and in other ways, it probably enables dysfunction and obsession with polls.

Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe has been labelled a Leader that is not effective; the social media has been instrumental. It has even helped millions across the world to be informed of the ineffectiveness of his Leadership. Across Africa and the World, there are Leaders and the people cannot personally follow the activities of their Leaders but Social Media has been invented to help out efficiently to follow activities of their leaders and really know if the so-called Leaders are effective or not.

Social media is a tool for effective leadership as it has positioned the leaders to take and make decisions based on the feeling of the masses. For example, the use of hashtag on Social such as, #OccupyWallStreet in USA, #OccupyNigeria and #BringBackOurGirls. The use of hashtag has shaped the decision of our Leaders which has either rendered them either effective or ineffective. This is the power of the Social media. How then can we say that Social media is not a tool for effective leadership?

Today, Our success as leaders depends on our ability to have profound conversations with constituents. In today's web-connected world, it means taking advantage of the technological and social media tools available; to meet and connect, in particular, with members of the younger generation who prefer to communicate and learn in open environments.

Reference:
1. http://blog.marketo.com/2013/06/how-social-media-is-changing-leadership.html
2. http://www.leadershipchallenge.com/resource/social-media-and-leadership-development.aspx
3. http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/high-tech/our-insights/six-social-media-skills-every-leader-needs
4. managementhelp.org/leadership/traits/leader.htm

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 2:32pm On May 08, 2016
Nice...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Catalyst4real: 2:36pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Catalystic4real oya come. In. There is a counter argument here.
I only have 8% charge left, I've expended the charge I reserved for the debate, rebuttals isn't pragmatic right now

If it'll be a duo, The judges should just use the write ups to award marks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 2:38pm On May 08, 2016
You can puncture on each others argument.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by MNDY(m): 2:51pm On May 08, 2016
In shock, I had to access a post on my Facebook a couple of minutes ago in which a certain individual with his group passed vote of NO confidence on my former local government chairman now serving in the capacity of House of Reps. However, he performed very nicely as L.G chairman to the admiration of the people!
-
He is said to be absent in most of the proceedings of the House so far and has not brought up any bill whatsoever to the House when his counterparts are pursuing one bill or the other!
-
Along with some others, I tried to defend his "good" reputation judging by the good works he did when he was chairman! But the owner of the post opened my eyes to some shocking revelations after agreeing with me that he truly did live up to expectation as chairman!
-
He said his time in office (as chairman) witnessed the local government obtaining the largest federal allocation in the history of the local government, the thing (perhaps) responsible for some of his good works as at the time!
-
He also said the man has been reported to have led his thugs to some communities, unleashing them on his critics, destroying their houses and even making the very elderly ones among them to kneel before him!
-
If not for the social media (my Facebook account in this case), I would not have known these things! Though there are purported claims subject to confirmation!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by just2okworld(f): 2:51pm On May 08, 2016
Ok
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by ThatNova(m): 2:52pm On May 08, 2016
social media is a place where empty vessels are free to make the most noise. a place like that can never be a good tool to measure leadership.. You will get negative response and trends even from the best government and this are brought about by high rate of ignorance in our youth system. a system where someone will read an article and believe it outright because it was posted by some few people that they see as learned..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 3:08pm On May 08, 2016
Catalyst4real:

I only have 8% charge left, I've expended the charge I reserved for the debate, rebuttals isn't pragmatic right now

If it'll be a duo, The judges should just use the write ups to award marks

Hmmmm
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 3:09pm On May 08, 2016
IamDejman and Eduntee

Who among you will be stepping down?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by IamDejman(m): 3:16pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
IamDejman and Eduntee

Who among you will be stepping down?

Simpler words please.

I thought Catalyst4real said rebuttals isn't pragmatic for him/her!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 3:26pm On May 08, 2016
IamDejman:

Simpler words please.

I thought Catalyst4real said rebuttals isn't pragmatic for him/her!

Yes so the judges will score only two essays.

One from abuzaria and one from lasu.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by IamDejman(m): 3:30pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

Yes so the judges will score only two essays.

One from abuzaria and one from lasu.

Use Eduntee's essay.

I forfeit mine
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by slimfresh(m): 3:30pm On May 08, 2016
In my own opinion I think each stand of the debate topic is like choosing between Scylla and Charybdis. None is totally better off the other Social media can be an effective way of measuring good leadership in countries where the cankerworm of politics has not eaten into the very veins of the media, in a country where investigative journalism is prided over wild speculation and biased reporting countries like the USA, however it is not the case that the media are not being influenced by the government over there but the rule of law enforcement is for everybody unlike a country like Nigeria where everything is controlled by politics, whenever I listen to the news I do so with double mind that what am hearing might just be the paid version of the story.

But looking at it from another angle, the social media can be used to judge the people's mind about the government most especially the youth because 90% of today's you are on one social media or another and it is on this very social media they speak out their minds and conviction without the fear of being bullied or harmed. So if I can speak my sincere mind with no fear on the cyberworld, then it is logical for me to believe that others who pass their opinion on social media do so with no fear and as a result speak their sincere mind.

So it is my stand that the social media is like a double edged sword....it can protect you at the same time it can harm you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 3:38pm On May 08, 2016
IamDejman:

Use Eduntee's essay.

I forfeit mine

OK sir.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by siralos135: 3:52pm On May 08, 2016
Well said slimfresh! The social media is a double edge sword indeed which efficacy is determined by the user.
I will want to Stand on the divide of supporting the motion.In Nigeria today,thw social media has helped to expose the ills in our government,to serve as the voice of voiceless, it has helped to speak for the people in places they can never get to express their grievances.I believe if properly managed,it has the potential of adequately be the watchdog of our leaders and restore sanity to government & governance
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by nopretense: 4:28pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

7pm Today. Don't miss it.
all right #team...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Selfies That Actually Took Lives / List Of Sociology Textbooks Of All Time / "Don't Pay JS3 Exam Fee " - Lagos State Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.