Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage (3229 Views)

'I Left My Marriage After My Wife Sat On Me And I Fainted' - Man Reveals. Photo / My Marriage Has Finally Ended / My Marriage On The Brink Of Crashing, Experienced People Needed Now. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Nobody: 8:16am On May 03, 2016
My heart is so heavy and my search for a solution brought me here. Okay. For sometimes,i've been a little down emotionally because of some issues. Hubby asked me what the major problem is and I told him I want to pursue my career dream as I feel I let go of my goals in the process of working on my marriage. The issue now is hubby said no problem that I should pursue my career and he would sort himself out and that if I mentioned this earlier, we would have not been married. Pls, married people in the house, what does this mean? Matured minds only please
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by PresVA: 8:18am On May 03, 2016
What kinda of career do you want to pursue exactly? ? Be more explicit

Also, does it mean your husband wants you to be a housewife for life or what? What suggestions did he make? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by donbenedict(m): 8:19am On May 03, 2016
Maybe he doesnt wish to marry a career woman....

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by madridguy(m): 8:20am On May 03, 2016
I beg hold tight your marriage before you can back with another touching story.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by thorpido(m): 8:24am On May 03, 2016
What stops you from pursuing your career while still married?It depends on what you want to do however because marriage will require you go about it in a way different from if you are still single.

Your husband's concern has to do with how much you pursuing your career will affect the family.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by talktonase(m): 8:26am On May 03, 2016
I know its not easy but i suggest you both should come to a consensus on how you both will build the family.Sometimes one of you will have to make the sacrifice of raising the children for a while before pursuing career.I suggest the love for keeping your home will have to compell you to make sacrifices for the sake of the home.Women make the home,men are figure heads blessed by God to love their wives and women are supposed to be submissive to their husbands.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by byvan03: 8:30am On May 03, 2016
What type of career are you talking about and how does it affect your family? I always advocate that you hold unto the one that is worth it for you .

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Nobody: 8:34am On May 03, 2016
Thanks @all
I've been at home for a while now and hubby is more comfortable with it. He says what do I need a job for as he can conveniently take care of our bills,which is true but there is an inner longing to do something that I have. After spending all the years I spent in school, I don't want to ever be a full housewife and I'm scared that if I have to wait till when the children grow, I might be really outdated by then and no company would hire an outdated married woman.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Nobody: 8:35am On May 03, 2016
Seriously, this problem started when you both were still courting, you probably allowed him foot all the bills and after marriage he assumed full responsibility for the family while you tucked your certificate for safe-keeping in your box. Its such a shame that even ladies who went to school and achieved better grades than their male counterparts, keep looking for a man to cater to their every need after school.

To the matter @hand, you both have to work on a compromise but dearie be prepared to chuck your certificate deeper into that box and settle for being a shop owner. You obviously can't pursue a career to the detriment of your marriage.
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Acidosis(m): 8:35am On May 03, 2016
nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by PresVA: 8:50am On May 03, 2016
itsy:
Thanks @all
I've been at home for a while now and hubby is more comfortable with it. He says what do I need a job for as he can conveniently take care of our bills,which is true but there is an inner longing to do something that I have. After spending all the years I spent in school, I don't want to ever be a full housewife and I'm scared that if I have to wait till when the children grow, I might be really outdated by then and no company would hire an outdated married woman.
Hmmmm, this one is strong oo.. so we still have men who want FULL housewives

Nne, you both have to reach a compromise, can never advise you stay at home PERMANENTLY.. . NEVER!
You can convince him that what you'll do wouldn't be detrimental to the family; you can find something flexible to do.. Promise him that, if the career comes in the way of your family, you're willing to stop...
Just find a way to convince him... you really need to be adding value to yourself no matter how little. ..

But seriously, this is something you both would have discussed before marriage. .. Nothing like marrying someone you've same values with. ..

All the best..

6 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by LordDecency(m): 8:55am On May 03, 2016
It's so clear.
Pursue Your Career ND His Gonna Go After Dem Babes..... That's wah he meant. cheesy
So d Choice is yours to make.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Badgers14: 8:56am On May 03, 2016
Sister, there are always compromise in relationships but We still need alot of info to solve the puzzle.

What's your career goal? Masters? Corporate job Owing a business

Where do you intend to pursue them Location of the intended business, school or job

What does your hubby do for a living Where does he stay Is he financially bouyant

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by bellong: 9:09am On May 03, 2016
I believe no one outside your home cancan tell you what to do.
I don't know what people discuss during courtship. It is not about snapping pre-wedding pictures or going to silverbird galleria. This is one of the issues to effectively iron out.

Now, what you need is for both of you to arrive at a compromise. Let him understand it is not about money but fulfillment. You need to let him know the type of job you intend doing and how it will never impact on the family negatively.

As crude as it sounds, at this stage, you need his agreement before you go ahead with anything. It's either you convince him and win him to you or you forget the marriage. You are a female, employ the God given wisdom and skills women have to win their husband.

I pray you get a positive resolution to the benefits of your family.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by marbee(f): 9:59am On May 03, 2016
Talk to your husband and make him see reasons,
Try and know what exactly are his fears for insisting you stay at home and address them.

I don't see why he would want an adult to just sit at home doing nothing.
Idleness is not good for anybody, he should know that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by misreal(m): 10:36am On May 03, 2016
itsy:
My heart is so heavy and my search for a solution brought me here. Okay. For sometimes,i've been a little down emotionally because of some issues. Hubby asked me what the major problem is and I told him I want to pursue my career dream as I feel I let go of my goals in the process of working on my marriage. The issue now is hubby said no problem that I should pursue my career and he would sort himself out and that if I mentioned this earlier, we would have not been married. Pls, married people in the house, what does this mean? Matured minds only please
this is something you shoud have sorted out during courtship.never entertain the thought of a divorce just to pursue your career(word).i have discovered that if not for the economic situation of the country,about seventy percent of nigerian men will not want a career woman.my point is,your husband has fears that he isnt teling and you must find out his fears in other to concince him to alloow you work.please take note,men dont really enjoy exposing their fears to women.so you must understand how to push his mumu botton.the moment you push this botton,then he will comfortably tell yyou abt his fears...only

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by michaelwilli(m): 1:07pm On May 03, 2016
itsy:
Befor I open my mouth, did u guys talk about being a housewife and pursuing ur career during ur courtship?

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by SirVintageCock: 1:14pm On May 03, 2016
LordDecency:
It's so clear.
Pursue Your Career ND His Gonna Go After Dem Babes..... That's wah he meant. cheesy
So d Choice is yours to make.
Dem babes ....are no longer a threat nowadays.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by SirVintageCock: 1:27pm On May 03, 2016
Start puncturing holes in his pocket till he begs you to dust your CV.
Quadruple every financial request you make to him.
Get that guy broke while you save the proceeds so that he will understand why you have to work.
Provoke your neighbours to insult and cajole you in his presence for being a redundant out of fashion housewife who knows only how to spend frivolously.
Get you sisters in laws and mumsy in law angry enough to blast you in your husband presence for being unproductive.
Make it real.
Boast to your friends how generous your husband is and do not hesitate to help them without them asking.
Cooking with ice fish should be a taboo...chicken..life chicken and turkey not frozen.
Am I clear here
Let's proceed undecided
Show disinterest in anything called a career , further study or job, it is all about the latest designer cloths, kiddies toys, children shoes and all whatnot.
My wife does not own any pair of Jimmy Choo or the other red bottom shoes wetin be the name sef.... loubotin or whatever....buy them with his ATM cards.

This is plan A , plan B is loading cool
itsy:
Thanks @all

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by eyinjuege: 1:39pm On May 03, 2016
SirVintageCock:
Get that guy broke while you save the proceeds so that he will understand why you have to work.
Provoke your neighbours to insult and cajole you in his presence for being a redundant out of fashion housewife who knows only how to spend frivolously.
Get you sisters in laws and mumsy in law angry enough to blast you in your husband presence for being unproductive.
Make it real.
Boast to your friends how generous your husband is and do no hesitate to help them without the asking.
Cooking with ice fish should be a taboo...chicken..life chicken and turkey not frozen.
Am I clear here
Let's proceed undecided
Show disinterest in anything called a career , further study or job, it is all about the latest designer clots, kiddies toys, children shoes and all whatnot.
My wife do not own any pair of Jimmy Choo or the other red bottom shoes wetin be the name sef loubotin or whatever..buy it with his ATM cards.

Aaahhhhhh!!!!

Alakoba somborri. You really want her to ruin the poor guy..

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Dyt(f): 1:55pm On May 03, 2016
SirVintageCock:
Make it real.
Boast to your friends how generous your husband is and do no hesitate to help them without the asking.
Am I clear here
Let's proceed undecided
Show disinterest in anything called a career , further study or job, it is all about the latest designer clots, kiddies toys, children shoes and all whatnot.
My wife do not own any pair of Jimmy Choo or the other red bottom shoes wetin be the name sef loubotin or whatever..buy it with his ATM cards.

cheesy cheesy grin cheesy
You are smart
I like you
What's your name?

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by LordDecency(m): 4:17pm On May 03, 2016
SirVintageCock:
Dem babes ....are no longer a threat nowadays.

Naht in Nigeria tho.
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Pidggin(f): 6:07pm On May 03, 2016
Nawao so na everything be issue for marriage? Smh
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Evina(f): 6:30pm On May 03, 2016
itsy:
Thanks @all

You can still be outdated in your industry even if you have a job if you do not consciously equip yourself with current trends in that industry and going for trainings/short courses.

In the same vein, you can become a hot cake in your chosen career path, while being a stay at home mum temporarily, by reading up and taking professional courses within your sector.

In fact, once you're ready to hit the corporate world again, you'd be highly respected for staying relevant even when you took time off to handle a very tedious task as motherhood.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Arsenate(m): 7:08pm On May 03, 2016
Pidggin:
Nawao so na everything be issue for marriage? Smh
]I tell you my sister. She should just divorce the man. That man doesn't deserve her one bit.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by bukatyne(f): 12:38pm On May 04, 2016
@itsy:

How far?
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 04, 2016
thanks to everyone that commented on this. Everything is settled now. I talked with hubby to find out what his fears are and I got to know that hubby is scared of a boss manipulating or 'seducing' his babe,lol. I assured him that whenever an issue like that arises, I will let him know and will remain faithful no matter the temptation and if it gets too much, I would resign. Yeah!am going after my dream with hubby's full support, thanks once again. nairaland is indeed,a family

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by marbee(f): 4:44pm On May 04, 2016
itsy:
thanks to everyone that commented on this. Everything is settled now. I talked with hubby to find out what his fears are and I got to know that hubby is scared of a boss manipulating or 'seducing' his babe,lol. I assured him that whenever an issue like that arises, I will let him know and will remain faithful no matter the temptation and if it gets too much, I would resign. Yeah!am going after my dream with hubby's full support, thanks once again. nairaland is indeed,a family

I knew that is what his fears will be,most times communication is the key in every home

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 04, 2016
itsy:

Congratulations dear
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by bukatyne(f): 4:32pm On May 05, 2016
itsy:

Good one.

Go girl!
Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by SirVintageCock: 5:35pm On May 05, 2016
itsy:
Kindly overlook my advice above I beg you.
Congrats.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help...my Career Or My Marriage by diva90: 12:04am On May 06, 2016
itsy:
Thanks @all

How can your husband still be thinking the way he does in this modern day where nothing is uncertain? What if something happens and you need finances of your own to fend for yourself? My dear, marriage is great but the benefits of a good career and having your own money is sweet as well! Don't be the woman who has to depend on her husband for every single thing. One day he will turn around and use it against you. Be wise, get a job close to home, get a nanny to watch your young kids or better still enroll them in a day care or Montessori and get your money girl! It's 2016, last time I checked ... The word 'housewife' is outdated

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Letter To Madam Ifyalways And A Good Reading For Other Nairaland Scambusters. / Nairaladers, Pls Do Help Me Out. I Am Having A Very Big Family Problem. / Please Can Someone Tell Me What I Did Wrong Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.