Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,445 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) (1176 Views)

How To Design School Result Sheet Automated System With Microsoft Excel / Meet Dare Obasanjo Who Works With Microsoft / Naija Young Entrepreneur: My Success Story Begins With Microsoft - Gamsole Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by luckyCO(m): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2009
I started coding with Q-Basic, later I moved to vb5.0,6.0.
Unknowing for me, vb6.0 was faced out and replaced with vs 2001.
As I was using the tool I found so many shortcomings even my vb6.0 can give me more express way of handling them than what am seeing.

I was moving to and from vb6.0 and vs 2001 before they brought vs 2003.
It discovered that most of the problems of 2001 was trasported to 2003.

I was angry but was solaced with 2005 which made me so happy though with few shortcomings.

When I was looking for Job, they use to ask me am I certicified?
I quickly went and wrote MCTS & MCPD, thinking that that will help me but It never did.

To my greatest surpise, still on the space of  enjoying fully the vs 2005, I saw,dotnet2.1,2.5,3 and finally 3.5 owing to the fact for the newly 'photocopied' operating system called vista.

I was forced again to vs 2008 which uses 3.5 since they have done away with windows XP.

Last month I was coding with my laptop online and I saw flash that vs 2010 is out.

Where are this people driving us to?

Wont they modify their dotnet framework to modify the Visual Studio?

Please I need your comments.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 11, 2009
i think we all experience the same issues. . .it is very tiring
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2009
autocad 2010,2009,2008,2007,2006,2005,2004,2003,2002,2000i,2000, r14, r13, r12. . .

windows 7, vista,xp,me,2000,98se,98,95

just life.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by solomonope(m): 7:45pm On Aug 11, 2009
@poster i feel ur pain
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by Cactus(m): 2:27am On Aug 12, 2009
It is for this same exact reason the OP gave that i no longer bother myself with VB.NET/ASP.NET

With all the frameworks and changes to source or implementation patterns. Tough to keep up.
Good luck with your certifications. How many do you want to write when new versions of softwares are constantly coming out with big or slight changes to the way they function?

Well, this will continue not stopping but you can decide to use it or not.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by luckyCO(m): 2:32pm On Aug 12, 2009
I dont really know, it is tiresome. July this year I recieved a letter that I cant write any certification on dot 2005.
If I should continue ,I must write on vs 2008. Now that we have 2010 which one will I write now?

I think we are heading to IT unrest if it continues this way and thereby discourages digitalization since one hardly enjoys his/her product before it becomes obsolete.

I dont see much different between 2005/2008 except vista insertion maybe 2010 will be windows 7

I think the whole area is highly comercialized no longer passionate companies for passionate system to ensure digital continuity.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by BigStar1(m): 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2009
What do we do?
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by celesto: 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2009
Big Star:

What do we do?

I believe any programming language is just a tool for achieving a task. Learn other languages, update your toolbox. When a job is required, you'll chose the one to use. I program in Java majorly, but I do a lot of C# too. Lately, I've been learning Scala and I want to implement a big project using the language. If anyone pisses you off, ignore it.

I think releasing new versions of programming languages is just a marketing strategy. C was prime at it's time now it's out of use. Same things applies to C++. I think OOP is getting too bloated and we should start focusing on something else, another programming paradigm. That's what they are just trying to force into the language.

Learn a hybrid functional/OOP language, Scala or F#, that is the way to go! For backward compatibility, still maintain knowledge of those ones you know. IT is very dynamic. Software developers are perfectionists. wink
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by alexis(m): 6:11am On Aug 13, 2009
I agree with Everything - update your tool box but most importantly, know the strengths and weaknesses of the languages you learn. More importantly, learn an open-source language; then you don't need to upgrade every other time.

Scala is a mix of functionalP and OOP - worked with it once but it was an over-kill for the project then; looks very interesting. Digging into Erlang now - nice stuff when it comes to distributed and concurrent programming
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by kwende(m): 9:05am On Aug 13, 2009
Mr. LuckyCo, who sent you a letter saying you can not take the .Net Framework 2.0 or 2005?. It is not true.
Also you don't have to run your .net 3.5 on Vista alone. You can do that on XP if that's what you are confortable with.
I will like to ask you if you don't like the new intellisense, LINQ, Entity framework,Ajax extensions and Silverligth that are part of the 3.5 framework?.
If you don't then brother you don't have to move to 3.5. You can still run your stuffs on 2.0. The last time I checked 2.0 is still being supported by microsoft and the exams are still in full gear.

Beside The VB, C# or C++ language has remain the same, only changes in the IDE. That is the same with Netbean IDE, JDeveloper.
Cheers
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by Cactus(m): 9:49am On Aug 13, 2009
kwende:

Beside The VB, C# or C++ language has remain the same, only changes in the IDE. That is the same with Netbean IDE, JDeveloper.
Cheers

I hope you are not trying to tell me that VB.NET has remained the same only the IDE changes. It has changed a lot and you have to keep learning to keep up. as new frameworks will be released, it will keep changing. I am not talking about the addition of new functionality.

Did a project in vb.net 2003 no problems with that. Then a couple of years later tried doing something similar in 2005. Never wasnt going to be like before. all your data adapter, connstring etc. changed you have to learn new keywords or whatever they are called.

Oh well I really dont care about that dont use it anymore
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by luckyCO(m): 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2009
Am really tired of following tool like I dont have home nor destination.
Please who is good at F#, one who can assist me or on any other language while I reduce my intake in dotnet?
I mean how to get the compiler and materials?
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by kwende(m): 2:05pm On Aug 13, 2009
You are tired of VB and C# and you want to migrate to F#. Let me remind you that F# is still the brainchild of microsoft running on the .Net framework. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/projects/fsharp/
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by celesto: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2009
luckyCO:

Please who is good at F#, one who can assist me or  on any other language while I reduce my intake in dotnet?

F# is still a .NET language. If you want to avoid .NET, go for Scala. It's a great Language. It's concurrency model was borrowed from Erlang - Actor based. Program organisation is wonderful. Quite tough to start with but with time you'll blend in with it.

I maintain a programming blog at http://technicalculus. (Even though I've only one post there  grin). I'll post everything you need to start off and blend in with Scala and NetBeans IDE. Watch out for posts. Starting from today.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by MisterMan(m): 2:43pm On Aug 14, 2009
Take heart brother. Vs 2010 is more evolutionary than revolutionary. It ain't that bad. Somebody mentioned that it is marketing gimmick. I beg to differ. MS does not just wake up one day with the additions they made. These are requests made by developers. Most of the requests pple make are incorporated in the next release. MS has got to listen to its clients. Though I am yet to use it, the changes are just minor,

I mean you can't compare the changes to VB6 and VB.NET. Likewise, you can't compare the changes made to VB 5/6 with its forebears such as QB or GWBasic. Hardware is getting better and better, and we need changes in software to keep up. That is the downside of our profession. U just need to keep updating yourself. Don't get tired
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by luckyCO(m): 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2009
I should suggest that their framework can be made to be assisting the consistent versions. Maybe every 5years they would have another release just like they did with vb6.0 and dotnet. Vb.0 has up to service park 6.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by chinedum: 3:37am On Aug 16, 2009
The evolution is about (RAD) RAPID APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT. Microsoft tries as much as possible to give you all you need to deliver to your clients in time.

One thing I hate with 2010 is that OracleClient won't be supported. I've been using the Beta Version and it's quite annoying to see that oracleclient will not be supported. My team have devised a means to counter this. We will use 2005 version to develop all our data layer classes and compile it as a library/COM+ service/web service/windows service.

What happens when another version of oracle dbms is released? The Oracle Client in 2005 may not be able to work well with it. Here is the big issue. An alternative will be to look for third party objects that will work with it.

Another one is Crystal Report. Since vs 2008, microsoft has stopped supporting crystal report. What this means is that one must use MS SQL Server Reporting Service.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by digitalize(m): 2:30pm On Aug 16, 2009
It could be very disgusting and appalling to see the trend with which Microsoft is modifying and re-modifying their development platforms. I think all they are trying to drive at is to monopolize the market of software development, little wonder each of their new releases would not support another development platform --- sooner they would be STAND-ALONE
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by Kobojunkie: 12:53am On Aug 17, 2009
@Poster, and everyone out there. It is NOT COMPULSORY TO MOVE TO A DIFFERENT VERSION if your application works fine as is. I know of persons who still develop with V 6.0 . I even work using Visual Studio 2003 and am in no rush to move to Visual Studio 2010 because the application I work on works fine with .NET 1.1.

Let's stop trying to push off our lack of understanding on companies like Microsoft. Upgrades ARE NOT, I REPEAT,ARE NOT COMPULSORY. The company I am with has most of it's applications still in VB 6 and classic asp. And they have no plans to move it to .NET 3.0 anytime soon. If you are moved easily by the latest and greatest, then do not fault the companies but self for thinking the new tools hold the answers for you. You can accomplish about the same with classic versions that you can with the lastest and greatest. You just need to do a good job figuring out how to.

By the way, Your problem most likely has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING To do with the Programming Language or Platform you are working on. 98% of the time, it is more to do with the fact that technology resources companies employ lack the expertise needed to get the job done with what is available.
Re: What Is Wrong With Microsoft? (Compulsory Visual Studio Upgrades) by kwende(m): 8:16am On Aug 17, 2009
Mr. Columbus, you are absulutely rigth with your asssement, microsoft does not compell any body to migrate or upgrade with every new version. Do so at your own convenience and when you need, desire and understand the benefits of a new version.

(1) (Reply)

Head First Java - Help / Ajax Control Help Please Anybody / Mentorship For Young Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.