Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work (19823 Views)

3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher / The Indispensable Role Of The Laboratory Scientist In The Health Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by donigspain(m): 10:55am On May 04, 2016
Do you want to be indispensable at work?

Okay, let's be honest, nobody is indispensable especially at work. However, there are certain tips and strategies that you can start applying today to help you build a strong brand for yourself and make you almost indispensable at work especially at this time of economic downturn in Nigeria.

1. Take ownership and do not be afraid to lead:

Companies and bosses want people who are not afraid to take ownership and lead. Since great leaders are made not born, the best way to become a leader at work is to be willing to take ownership of projects. Is the company starting a new project/scheme/ product? Do not be afraid to volunteer and lead. The good thing about this is that you will get noticed and it will be for a good reason.

2. Embrace change:

“The only constant thing, they say, is change”. How you react to the change is what will determine if it will have a positive or a negative impact on you. It is usually not advisable to swim against the tide. What then should you do? Embrace the change and wait for an opportunity to turn it into a positive one.

3. Be extraordinary by going the extra mile:

The difference between being ordinary and extra-ordinary is the 'extra' in the 'ordinary'. Always be willing to go the extra mile. Be willing to do extra work that might be assigned to you, be willing to work a little late and be willing to help make other people’s job easier. Simply put, do the extra.

4. Know what matters to the company:

No matter what your role is, your worth will be measured by how much value you can add to the company’s bottom line. This is why it is important to know what matters to the company and position your job role to help the company achieve its aim.

5. Offer solutions to problem(s) in your area:

Are the people in your department or unit struggling with a particular issue you can proffer solutions to? Do not wait to be called. Always be the problem solver and be willing to lend a helping hand.

6. Know what matters to your boss:

If your boss is passionate about a particular project or job, then it is your duty to also be passionate about the same job. If you are not getting along well with your boss, it might simply be because you both are working in opposite direction. Find out what your boss cares about and help them get it done.

7. Focus on results and not on processes:

Nobody cares how long or how much effort you have put into a work to get results. What the company and your boss care about is what results (KPI) you can show for your efforts. It is therefore important to focus more on activities that can help you get results rather than on the processes you have to go through to get it done.

8. Aim for excellence:

Need I say more about this? Aim for excellence. Excellence is a value that you should seek to achieve. Make your work stand out by paying little attention to details. Have a presentation to deliver, make it beautiful and appealing apart from filling it up with the required details.

9. Excel in a few skills:

You cannot be everything to everyone. Pursue a few set skills and become the go-to-person for that skill. I noticed a skill-gap in photography at my workplace. The company had to pay freelance photographers for any event or content requiring photography coverage. Next I enrolled in a cinematography school and within 3 months I was already the go-to-person for shoots. Even the MD/CEO had a professional photo shoot courtesy of mine new skills. I've been able to save cost and develop more contents for my company.

10. Keep your promises to the manager and colleagues:

Promises are meant to be broken? No and especially not at work. Never break promises made either to your manager, boss or colleagues. Keep your words and if there is need for any change, communicate this as early as possible.

11. Network extensively:

How far you will go in 3 - 5 years time will be determined by the quality of your network. Start building your network now so that when you need it, you will already have them in place. Luckily, technology has come to play a huge role in how we relate in the 21st century. Leverage on the social and professional media to get started and do not forget to build personal offline relationships with people.

12. Keep up with advancement in your fields:

I once heard a story of someone who submitted her CV to a recruitment firm and unfortunately was not called for interview. Nine (9) years later, she was called and was asked to bring a copy of her recent CV. Guess what? She came and submitted the same CV she submitted 9 years ago. During the interview process, she was asked why nothing changed on her CV. Her reply was that it was because nothing really had changed. This means she did not add any qualification or skill set to her person. I am sure no one will want to employ such a person.

13. Be a thought leader in your field:

One of the ways to excel at work is to become a thought leader in your field. This means you need to know everything and anything that is important in your field that can help you carry out your task easier and better. No one in your company should know more than you in your niche.

14. Ignore distractions and focus on your objectives:

What are your career objectives? How do they fit into your role and daily duties? Do you have a clear set of goals you want to achieve? Knowing all these will keep you from being distracted either with politics in the office or any other thing that can cause distraction and derail you from your set objectives.

15. Take initiatives:

Do not wait to be told what to do. If you know that there is a particular report or task that you need to do on a regular basis, then do not wait to be told to perform the task. Anticipate tasks and get it done without being told.

16. Always be willing to share knowledge:

An indispensable worker will not be he who has all the knowledge but someone who is willingly to share them as well. By sharing your knowledge, you help other appreciate what you do and what it means. When your boss understands what you know and how you do, he or she begins to understand and appreciate you better.

17. Anticipate your boss‘s needs and make yourself invaluable:

Anticipate your boss’s needs and make yourself available. Help them do their job and you will come in handy for recommendation when the need arises.

18. Seek to gain more knowledge:

Attend seminars, career fairs and lectures. Do not wait for the company to send you for a training before you attend them. This is because these trainings are ultimately for you and will only help you become a better person. Do not wait until the company is training her staff.

19. Develop good judgment and do not be afraid to stand up:

Develop a sense for good judgment and do not be afraid to speak up either for yourself or your colleagues.

20. Stay sharp mentally and have a positive attitude:

It is often said that a bad attitude is like a flat tire. It won’t take you anywhere. Develop a good attitude towards everything; the company, your boss and your work.

There is more where this came from >> HERE

71 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Nobody: 10:59am On May 04, 2016
My boss is still a pain in the ass regardless

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by busterr(m): 11:25am On May 04, 2016
just be yourself and have a genuine love for your workplace

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by donigspain(m): 12:31pm On May 04, 2016
busterr:
just be yourself and have a genuine love for your workplace
Sometimes, being yourself may not always work out for the better.

4 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Holamide222(f): 6:29am On May 05, 2016
Nice one tanc op
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by nmreports: 6:29am On May 05, 2016
Lol. Good tips.
Don't be deceived though.
You can be very valuable but of course when push comes to shove, you are not indispensable.

21) Understand the importance of office politics.

35 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Bitterleafsoup: 6:32am On May 05, 2016
All these are sure banker ideas well done OP!
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Jalubarika(m): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
God bless u Op
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by LordVoldemort(m): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
Very true....most employee don't take ownership in Nigeria, they work as if they are forced to do it.

The way you help someone runs his business that's how you run ours. Ownership spirit is every essential

3 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by obidevine(m): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
I love this piece, nice on OP.. check my signature
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by dammytosh: 6:34am On May 05, 2016
Be the best at what you do, be humble and avoid complaining.
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by 2rucool(m): 6:38am On May 05, 2016
Punctuality is another key factor that should not be ignored at work.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by akanbiaa(m): 6:41am On May 05, 2016
Dont show that without the job you are done for.

7 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by presidentpikin: 6:41am On May 05, 2016
A very good one there....
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by VocalWalls: 6:41am On May 05, 2016
Hmmm

Nice tho but it is not easy. in some companies, no matter how hard you try, once you are marked, you are a goner. This is why i advise every employee to have even a side business that can mature with time.
Imagine a person working in a place with no future. If he gets sacked, it's very possible there wont be any pay off. Life ruined. Please always have a side business. Very important.
How To Become An Interior Decorator
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by VampireeM(f): 6:41am On May 05, 2016
hmmmm, really??
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by sunkymike(m): 6:44am On May 05, 2016
Focus on owning a much bigger firm than where you currently work. Let your dedication to your current job be 100% so that you would have no problem when you start running yours.

4 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by deathmen12: 6:51am On May 05, 2016
Nice one
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by san316(m): 6:54am On May 05, 2016
And you will be stagnated for long.
But here is the real deal and it is from experience,

1. Always do eye service but also know what you're doing. It seriously matters what people in ur office Say abt u not what u think about yourself. Sometimes it's not always abt what u r actually doing but what you are seen to be doing.

2. Be an AGIP, show loyalty to your bosses, if possible carry their bags and dobale when they resume. I know someone that grew in banking because she was good at carrying her boss' bags.

3. Be a point of reference. Let it be that any technical task that comes up, the first name that will pop into your boss' mind is yours.

4. Be a jovial and loving person in the office. This will prevent bad belle when ur colleagues see u shining.

Trust me, I have been there.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by EduRegard: 6:54am On May 05, 2016
tHanks
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by BBYYOLA: 6:54am On May 05, 2016
donigspain:
Do you want to be indispensable at work?

Okay, let's be honest, nobody is indispensable especially at work. However, there are certain tips and strategies that you can start applying today to help you build a strong brand for yourself and make you almost indispensable at work especially at this time of economic downturn in Nigeria.

1. Take ownership and do not be afraid to lead:

Companies and bosses want people who are not afraid to take ownership and lead. Since great leaders are made not born, the best way to become a leader at work is to be willing to take ownership of projects. Is the company starting a new project/scheme/ product? Do not be afraid to volunteer and lead. The good thing about this is that you will get noticed and it will be for a good reason.

2. Embrace change:

“The only constant thing, they say, is change”. How you react to the change is what will determine if it will have a positive or a negative impact on you. It is usually not advisable to swim against the tide. What then should you do? Embrace the change and wait for an opportunity to turn it into a positive one.

3. Be extraordinary by going the extra mile:

The difference between being ordinary and extra-ordinary is the 'extra' in the 'ordinary'. Always be willing to go the extra mile. Be willing to do extra work that might be assigned to you, be willing to work a little late and be willing to help make other people’s job easier. Simply put, do the extra.

4. Know what matters to the company:

No matter what your role is, your worth will be measured by how much value you can add to the company’s bottom line. This is why it is important to know what matters to the company and position your job role to help the company achieve its aim.

5. Offer solutions to problem(s) in your area:

Are the people in your department or unit struggling with a particular issue you can proffer solutions to? Do not wait to be called. Always be the problem solver and be willing to lend a helping hand.

6. Know what matters to your boss:

If your boss is passionate about a particular project or job, then it is your duty to also be passionate about the same job. If you are not getting along well with your boss, it might simply be because you both are working in opposite direction. Find out what your boss cares about and help them get it done.

7. Focus on results and not on processes:

Nobody cares how long or how much effort you have put into a work to get results. What the company and your boss care about is what results (KPI) you can show for your efforts. It is therefore important to focus more on activities that can help you get results rather than on the processes you have to go through to get it done.

8. Aim for excellence:

Need I say more about this? Aim for excellence. Excellence is a value that you should seek to achieve. Make your work stand out by paying little attention to details. Have a presentation to deliver, make it beautiful and appealing apart from filling it up with the required details.

9. Excel in a few skills:

You cannot be everything to everyone. Pursue a few set skills and become the go-to-person for that skill. I noticed a skill-gap in photography at my workplace. The company had to pay freelance photographers for any event or content requiring photography coverage. Next I enrolled in a cinematography school and within 3 months I was already the go-to-person for shoots. Even the MD/CEO had a professional photo shoot courtesy of mine new skills. I've been able to save cost and develop more contents for my company.

10. Keep your promises to the manager and colleagues:

Promises are meant to be broken? No and especially not at work. Never break promises made either to your manager, boss or colleagues. Keep your words and if there is need for any change, communicate this as early as possible.

11. Network extensively:

How far you will go in 3 - 5 years time will be determined by the quality of your network. Start building your network now so that when you need it, you will already have them in place. Luckily, technology has come to play a huge role in how we relate in the 21st century. Leverage on the social and professional media to get started and do not forget to build personal offline relationships with people.

12. Keep up with advancement in your fields:

I once heard a story of someone who submitted her CV to a recruitment firm and unfortunately was not called for interview. Nine (9) years later, she was called and was asked to bring a copy of her recent CV. Guess what? She came and submitted the same CV she submitted 9 years ago. During the interview process, she was asked why nothing changed on her CV. Her reply was that it was because nothing really had changed. This means she did not add any qualification or skill set to her person. I am sure no one will want to employ such a person.

13. Be a thought leader in your field:

One of the ways to excel at work is to become a thought leader in your field. This means you need to know everything and anything that is important in your field that can help you carry out your task easier and better. No one in your company should know more than you in your niche.

14. Ignore distractions and focus on your objectives:

What are your career objectives? How do they fit into your role and daily duties? Do you have a clear set of goals you want to achieve? Knowing all these will keep you from being distracted either with politics in the office or any other thing that can cause distraction and derail you from your set objectives.

15. Take initiatives:

Do not wait to be told what to do. If you know that there is a particular report or task that you need to do on a regular basis, then do not wait to be told to perform the task. Anticipate tasks and get it done without being told.

16. Always be willing to share knowledge:

An indispensable worker will not be he who has all the knowledge but someone who is willingly to share them as well. By sharing your knowledge, you help other appreciate what you do and what it means. When your boss understands what you know and how you do, he or she begins to understand and appreciate you better.

17. Anticipate your boss‘s needs and make yourself invaluable:

Anticipate your boss’s needs and make yourself available. Help them do their job and you will come in handy for recommendation when the need arises.

18. Seek to gain more knowledge:

Attend seminars, career fairs and lectures. Do not wait for the company to send you for a training before you attend them. This is because these trainings are ultimately for you and will only help you become a better person. Do not wait until the company is training her staff.

19. Develop good judgment and do not be afraid to stand up:

Develop a sense for good judgment and do not be afraid to speak up either for yourself or your colleagues.

20. Stay sharp mentally and have a positive attitude:

It is often said that a bad attitude is like a flat tire. It won’t take you anywhere. Develop a good attitude towards everything; the company, your boss and your work.

There is more where this came from >> HERE
Nice piece,really benefitted.Can applies to everybody who want to excell

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by eleojo23: 6:57am On May 05, 2016
BBYYOLA:
Nice piece,really benefitted.Can applies to everybody who want to excell
You did not have to quote the entire post before making your comment.

Now you must pay for all the space you wasted up there. angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:10am On May 05, 2016
Sounds funny..... lol..
Do you want to be indispensable??...
1) Produce Results...
2) Keep repeating No1

3 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Bhenehdikt(m): 7:25am On May 05, 2016
21. SMILE
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by adedam007(m): 7:29am On May 05, 2016
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Bhenehdikt(m): 7:35am On May 05, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:
Sounds funny..... lol..
Do you want to be indispensable??...
1) Produce Results...
2) Keep repeating No1

3) Repeat 1 and 2 above
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by tete7000(m): 7:37am On May 05, 2016
That person mentioned in the 12th point sounded like Buhari. Unfortunately Nigeria made him the President and he has been approaching 2016 problems with 1985 mindset.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by silentachieverr(m): 7:39am On May 05, 2016
san316:

1. Always do eye service but also know what you're doing. It seriously matters what people in ur office Sa abt u not what u think about yourself.

2. Be an AGIP, show loyalty to your bosses, if possible care their bag. I know someone that grew in banking because she was good at carrying her boss' bags.

3. Be a point of reference. Let it be that any technical task that comes up, the first name that will pop into your boss' mind is yours.

4. Be a jovial and loving person in the office. This will prevent bad belle when ur colleagues see u shining.

This is even more important than the list OP put out. We are in Nigeria...the norm in other countries do not apply here so i agree with you on this.
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Shokoloko(f): 7:56am On May 05, 2016
san316:

1. Always do eye service but also know what you're doing. It seriously matters what people in ur office Sa abt u not what u think about yourself.

2. Be an AGIP, show loyalty to your bosses, if possible care their bag. I know someone that grew in banking because she was good at carrying her boss' bags.

From experience, this is the true list

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Horlawale1(m): 8:03am On May 05, 2016
And after all this, one little mistake and u are gone.
It's well.
Re: 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work by Eddy2cute(m): 8:08am On May 05, 2016
How can someone be doing all these in this country wey these bosses no dey wan pay salary?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dear Graduates, What Are Your Future Plans? / Tope Omage: A Woman Who Wants To Go Far Should Respect Her Husband / How Quitting My Job Made Me Cry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.