Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,083 members, 7,807,240 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults (27234 Views)

Dads That Don’t Want To See You Dating Their Daughters / 5 Things You Don't Get To Hear Before Saying''i Do'' / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Ekiti360(m): 5:19am On May 05, 2016
I guess it comes with the territory, but every adult in the world seems to think they have some secret knowledge that will crack the youth. They attribute their expertise on the subject of teenagers to an accumulation of years and experiences.

Apparently, the magic of time has given them a compete and all-knowing understanding of how we should feel, think and behave during all hours of the day. However, all beliefs should be challenged – and I for one enjoy setting grown-ups straight.

Here are 9 things that make teenager like me cringe.

“Listen to your parents; they’re always right.”

Wrong. There is only one Yoda. Everyone else in the universe is bound to be wrong sometimes. I know it might surprise some adults to hear this, but us, teenagers are not always angsty, impulsive and inexperienced. Sometimes we know even better than you do – Give us a chance.

“This should be the best time in your life. Enjoy it.”

So… You’re saying that my life has peaked at 15? Excuse me if I refuse to believe that. I will enjoy all the world has to offer on my own terms, thank you very much. Otherwise I might become a teenage runaway, and you wouldn’t really like that would you?

“Wait till you get to the real world.”

Okay. Hold on, just one second. Are you saying that this is in fact NOT the real world? Hold up. Is this the matrix? Did we somehow transport to Narnia without me knowing?

Sure, I may not be working year-round in an office, but Algebra isn’t exactly a walk in the park. My life is real enough: a package deal that’s all inclusive with drama, responsibility and obligations. Don’t belittle me.

“You’re a teenager. This is just a phase.”

How can you possibly predict the future? Are you some sort of psychic being who sees into the future? If so, why don’t you tell me how to fix this world. I am currently in a process of creating an identity for myself that isn’t defined by the people around me. This phase might just stick. Even if it doesn’t, please just let me experience it without constant judgment.

Hint: The more you hate it, the longer it will last.

“Why don’t you tell me anything anymore?”

There are two possible explanations for our ‘lack of communication’:

Explanation 1: All I’ve done in the last few weeks is school work and watch re-runs of my favorite TV shows. I apologize for not giving you a play-by-play, but there is simply nothing of significance for me to be telling you.

Explanation 2: You’re being nosy and it’s annoying. NO amount of torture will make me spill my secrets.

“I was your age once too, you know.”

Yes, of course you were. There is no denying that you are in fact a human being. I understand the progression of time, but just because you were a teenager once does not mean you can relate to my experiences or how I’m currently feeling. Even if you have gone through similar things (in the past), you have been tainted by the knowledge of adulthood.

Sorry, not sorry.

“I’m your friend.”

Nope. Not gonna happen. Don’t get me wrong, I like you and all… but we are not friends. I think that comes with the whole power dynamic of the family.

If you give me rules, you are not my friend.

If you make me wake up in the morning, you are not my friend.

If you make me wash the dishes, we are DEFINITELY not friends.

Please, stop.

“You don’t know what’s best for you.”

Okay… and who does? You? Please refer to ‘Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear’ numbers one through seven. I know what I want. I know who I am. Don’t set limitations on what I should do or who I should be. It’s not yourselves.

“Grow up.”

Look here parents, we are growing up whether we like it or not. We love you (ever so dearly) and absolutely appreciate the unconditional support. Sometimes I think you forget that the mistakes we make are actually the perfect way for us to learn right from wrong. It’s a process, be patient.

http://www.ekitionline.com.ng/9-things-teenagers-dont-want-hear-adults/

15 Likes

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 6:18am On May 05, 2016
This is true to an extent. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by kiddoiLL(m): 6:35am On May 05, 2016
They always feel they are right because they are in command.....But when will parents realize they just don't understand?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Akposkool(m): 7:17am On May 05, 2016
I have finished school and no job in this country. Bros my case is different

7 Likes

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by macaranta(m): 11:22am On May 05, 2016
Okay
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:22am On May 05, 2016
9. "I used to be first in class when i was your age"

Should we ask your classmates? Or you are just trying to make me feel bad because i had 6 F9s in waec?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:22am On May 05, 2016
FVCKING HATED being a teenager...Haircuts, Night parties, Dishes frustrated the shit_ outta me...When you have uptight African parents in the West

Couldn't wear Earrings like WTF...Anyways I am a total rebel I guess that's what happens when parents try to control their children and mold them to zombies of their choice...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by DjValency(m): 11:23am On May 05, 2016
kkk
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by asumo12: 11:23am On May 05, 2016
ғacт

dιd yoυ ĸnow тнaт .....

• Be very careful O Evil person.
"God postpones, he does not overlook".- Turkish proverb

• Listen to the advice of older people. Not because they're right, but because they have the most experience of failure.

• A person can live without food for about a month, but only about a week without water.

• Forgive and overlook.
"The stupid might have wanted to help you, but ended up hurting you".
~ Arabic Proverb.

• There is a disease where you eventually stop sleeping, and then die. There is no cure.

• To survive a free-falling elevator, the person inside should lay on the floor with their body in the center.

• It has been reported that there are only four TV stations in North Korea.

• Pregnancy tests in 1927 used to consist of injecting a female's urine into a rabbit and observing the changes.

• If you waste time, surely time will waste you.~ African Proverb

• It has been said that after the age of 60, sitting for an extra hour a day doubles your risk of becoming disabled.

• It’s impossible to stop thinking.

And lastly

• A man drives a car today, Tomorrow an ambulance drives him to the cemetery.

A man reads biology today, Tomorrow a biography is been read of him.

A man eats whatever he wants today, Tomorrow he becomes food for insects.

A man is always early for work today, Tomorrow he is termed late Mr/Mrs.

A man is seen resting in his house today, Tomorrow he is resting in the grave. And they say "Rest In Peace"!

A man eats all kinds of fruits from tree in his house today, Tomorrow he becomes manure to those trees.

A man is known today as the richest man ever,
Tomorrow he is buried in a shroud that has no pocket, he doesn't pick single penny to his grave neither is the grave going to be made out of gold or luxury.

Vote wisely vote lanicky

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by LegalBaby(f): 11:23am On May 05, 2016
parents arent ALWAYS right tho

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Kufie(m): 11:23am On May 05, 2016
Our Parents aren't always right and who's in a better position to tell you what's best for you than yourself?

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:24am On May 05, 2016
they know all
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by buharisbae(f): 11:24am On May 05, 2016
true it was so annoying
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Speakdatruth: 11:25am On May 05, 2016
OK I don hear all these teenagers of nowadays wey look like mama

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:25am On May 05, 2016
Naija parents ehn!

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by banmee(m): 11:25am On May 05, 2016
Ekiti360:
I guess it comes with the territory, but every adult in the world seems to think they have some secret knowledge that will crack the youth. They attribute their expertise on the subject of teenagers to an accumulation of years and experiences.

Apparently, the magic of time has given them a compete and all-knowing understanding of how we should feel, think and behave during all hours of the day. However, all beliefs should be challenged – and I for one enjoy setting grown-ups straight.

Here are 9 things that make teenager like me cringe.

“Listen to your parents; they’re always right.”

Wrong. There is only one Yoda. Everyone else in the universe is bound to be wrong sometimes. I know it might surprise some adults to hear this, but us, teenagers are not always angsty, impulsive and inexperienced. Sometimes we know even better than you do – Give us a chance.

“This should be the best time in your life. Enjoy it.”

So… You’re saying that my life has peaked at 15? Excuse me if I refuse to believe that. I will enjoy all the world has to offer on my own terms, thank you very much. Otherwise I might become a teenage runaway, and you wouldn’t really like that would you?

“Wait till you get to the real world.”

Okay. Hold on, just one second. Are you saying that this is in fact NOT the real world? Hold up. Is this the matrix? Did we somehow transport to Narnia without me knowing?

Sure, I may not be working year-round in an office, but Algebra isn’t exactly a walk in the park. My life is real enough: a package deal that’s all inclusive with drama, responsibility and obligations. Don’t belittle me.

“You’re a teenager. This is just a phase.”

How can you possibly predict the future? Are you some sort of psychic being who sees into the future? If so, why don’t you tell me how to fix this world. I am currently in a process of creating an identity for myself that isn’t defined by the people around me. This phase might just stick. Even if it doesn’t, please just let me experience it without constant judgment.

Hint: The more you hate it, the longer it will last.

“Why don’t you tell me anything anymore?”

There are two possible explanations for our ‘lack of communication’:

Explanation 1: All I’ve done in the last few weeks is school work and watch re-runs of my favorite TV shows. I apologize for not giving you a play-by-play, but there is simply nothing of significance for me to be telling you.

Explanation 2: You’re being nosy and it’s annoying. NO amount of torture will make me spill my secrets.

“I was your age once too, you know.”

Yes, of course you were. There is no denying that you are in fact a human being. I understand the progression of time, but just because you were a teenager once does not mean you can relate to my experiences or how I’m currently feeling. Even if you have gone through similar things (in the past), you have been tainted by the knowledge of adulthood.

Sorry, not sorry.

“I’m your friend.”

Nope. Not gonna happen. Don’t get me wrong, I like you and all… but we are not friends. I think that comes with the whole power dynamic of the family.

If you give me rules, you are not my friend.

If you make me wake up in the morning, you are not my friend.

If you make me wash the dishes, we are DEFINITELY not friends.

Please, stop.

“You don’t know what’s best for you.”

Okay… and who does? You? Please refer to ‘Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear’ numbers one through seven. I know what I want. I know who I am. Don’t set limitations on what I should do or who I should be. It’s not yourselves.

“Grow up.”

Look here parents, we are growing up whether we like it or not. We love you (ever so dearly) and absolutely appreciate the unconditional support. Sometimes I think you forget that the mistakes we make are actually the perfect way for us to learn right from wrong. It’s a process, be patient.

http://www.ekitionline.com.ng/9-things-teenagers-dont-want-hear-adults/

From a child.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Speakdatruth: 11:25am On May 05, 2016
LegalBaby:
Teenager spotted

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by maxwelloweezy(m): 11:26am On May 05, 2016
Hmm

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by janefarms2015: 11:27am On May 05, 2016
Buddafly:
omo ale lo ma so gbogbo eleyi ni ile yoruba
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by steppin: 11:27am On May 05, 2016
Wait till you get married before having sex.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by optional1(f): 11:28am On May 05, 2016
Ok
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by yinkuscious(m): 11:30am On May 05, 2016
Buddafly:
kindly develop a write-up that will be more true to that extent u're talking about. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Lilteece(m): 11:30am On May 05, 2016
S
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Stanleywaxy(m): 11:32am On May 05, 2016
Parents aren't always that correct ... I didn't have the best of childhood as well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:32am On May 05, 2016
Lol grin
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Mutuwa(m): 11:33am On May 05, 2016
LegalBaby:

Oh...lord.
you look good when you frown!
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:34am On May 05, 2016
True to an extent.
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by flexxyworld(m): 11:34am On May 05, 2016
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by romzyxy(m): 11:35am On May 05, 2016
I love dis part #We are not friends when you tell me to do the dishes.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by Nobody: 11:38am On May 05, 2016
Not true....100%sure
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by MsTIQ(m): 11:39am On May 05, 2016
They only scold us from experience
Tho' the world might be different now, but experience still remain a good teacher
Re: 9 Things Teenagers Don’t Want To Hear From Adults by milky3(f): 11:40am On May 05, 2016
you must come first in Class this term

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lady Told She Would Amount To Nothing By Grandparents, Finally Graduates / The Joys Of Motherhood In Pictures! / Pregnant Wife Pranks Husband That Her Water Broke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.