Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. (4127 Views)

Top Great Psychological Tricks We Should All Learn / Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed / Four Everyday Psychological Facts That Might Save Your Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by philfearon(m): 6:39am On May 05, 2016
These are psychology facts which are taken from the most experienced and top level psychologists

1.Smells of family members are similar. This is why the average person does not find family members to be attractive; it’s nature’s way of decreasing genetic mutations.

2. Your brain and your stomach are in constant contact with each other which is why some emotions affect our stomachs physically, especially distress.

3.Excessive stress can alter brain cells, structure and function.

4.Almost 70,000 thoughts a day hit the average human mind.

5.On average it takes 66 days to form a habit.

6.If someone makes eye contact with you for 60% of a conversation they’re bored, 80% and they’re attracted to you and 100% of the time then they are threatening you.

7.When it comes to placebo, studies have found that a capsule works better than a tablet, and a syringe works better than a capsule (in terms of how successful the placebo effect is).

8. A placebo effect can work even when the individual is aware that the substance they are taking is a placebo.

9.Though the placebo effect may trick people into thinking they are becoming healthier, it can also harm them in the sense that once they begin taking medications for things that don’t need it, they develop a resistance to that medication so that when they need it, it no longer works.

10. Since the existence of the internet, fewer people claim to be religious.

11.Chewing gum helps your memory to receive a higher test score.

12. The color purple or more specifically ‘lavender’ creates a soothing effect. It is also a great color to have for your bed spreads.

13. In one of Freud’s psychosexual stages, the phallic stage, children become interested in their own Instruments, their parents, and their friends. Accompanied with this stage is the term ‘penis envy’, this is defined as the female child’s realization/resentment that they do not have a penis.

14.Your Short Term Memory is an actual store in your brain, although it has a much more limited capacity than expected- it lasts approximately 20 seconds and can process five to nine things at one time.

15.The sense of falling involved in a dream actually comes from the brain falling asleep too fast and assuming it is dying. The sensation is essentially the brain giving itself an AED.

16. If you fake a smile, even when you’re in a bad mood, that smile will help you feel better and therefore make you happy.

17.Men are attracted to women with clear skin, bright big eyes, rosy lips, and lustrous hair because they are indicators of health and an optimal partner for reproduction.

18.When you yawn and someone else yawns right after it means they were watching you and\or are attracted to you.

19.It is a myth that humans can only use 10% of their brain at any given point. We can actually utilize somewhere around 35% at once.

20.When focusing hard on a task, the human brain will completely block out other things going on, even if it’s right in front of them. It’s called selective attention.

21.Brains in some individuals produce more chemicals compared to others; this is why some people are considered more emotional than others.

22.Besides being sexually appealing, red is also an aggressive color that causes people to appear more intimidating..
Source :Quora

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Taeewo(m): 6:41am On May 05, 2016
Thanks
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Nobody: 6:42am On May 05, 2016
tongue
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by pimplucious: 6:48am On May 05, 2016
Very cool

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by madridguy(m): 6:52am On May 05, 2016
Wonderful.

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Deboxoxo(m): 7:02am On May 05, 2016
Gba yii jare @op
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Nobody: 7:12am On May 05, 2016
Educative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:34am On May 05, 2016
And they claim I dont use 1% of my brain... smh
people sef...
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Edd1e(m): 7:57am On May 05, 2016
Nice
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Smartsyn(m): 8:07am On May 05, 2016
Is that why this girl yawns whenever I yawn in the office.. I see

I will yawn again today to be sure..

12 Likes

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by NnamdiN: 8:20am On May 05, 2016
21. Be like say my brain no even get chemical at all. #noemotionsatall cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Rapsowdee01(m): 8:23am On May 05, 2016
It's now ''Amazing facts'' that is trending on Nairaland.... Thank God !! At least it's better than ''Is it true i look like Papa Wemba''

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by swaggzo(m): 8:39am On May 05, 2016
undecided
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Adebola02(m): 8:41am On May 05, 2016
Nice write-up
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by rottable(m): 9:36am On May 05, 2016
I am always happy whenever I read this
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by jejemanito: 9:39am On May 05, 2016
That "Joystick Envy" is fvking hilarious grin

Ladies in the house is it true?

I'm loving this recent trend of educative posts on NL

You have no idea how blissful I felt seeing up to 5 consecutive mind stimulating posts on frontpage earlier on

Lalasticlala keep up the good work.
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Nobody: 10:50am On May 05, 2016
jejemanito:
That "Joystick Envy" is fvking hilarious grin

Ladies in the house is it true?

I'm loving this recent trend of educative posts on NL

You have no idea how blissful I felt seeing up to 5 consecutive mind stimulating posts on frontpage earlier on

Lalasticlala keep up the good work.

Actually that joystick envy stuff has been widely criticised by modern day psychologists. Sigmund Freud lived in a period of widespread misogyny so you could clearly understand how his mind was working. Most likely the only folks who envy the Instruments of the opposite sex are transexuals.

I think that phallic stage stuff has to do with the child being envious of his father and wishing he could c○pulate with his mother. Wtf? Obviously pseudoscience.

Seun so even c●pulate is banned? Na wa o. Just turn nairaland to a monastery.

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by wins18(m): 11:34am On May 05, 2016
philfearon:
These are psychology facts which are taken from the most experienced and top level psychologists

1.Smells of family members are similar. This is why the average person does not find family members to be attractive; it’s nature’s way of decreasing genetic mutations.

2. Your brain and your stomach are in constant contact with each other which is why some emotions affect our stomachs physically, especially distress.

3.Excessive stress can alter brain cells, structure and function.

4.Almost 70,000 thoughts a day hit the average human mind.

5.On average it takes 66 days to form a habit.

6.If someone makes eye contact with you for 60% of a conversation they’re bored, 80% and they’re attracted to you and 100% of the time then they are threatening you.

7.When it comes to placebo, studies have found that a capsule works better than a tablet, and a syringe works better than a capsule (in terms of how successful the placebo effect is).

8. A placebo effect can work even when the individual is aware that the substance they are taking is a placebo.

9.Though the placebo effect may trick people into thinking they are becoming healthier, it can also harm them in the sense that once they begin taking medications for things that don’t need it, they develop a resistance to that medication so that when they need it, it no longer works.

10. Since the existence of the internet, fewer people claim to be religious.

11.Chewing gum helps your memory to receive a higher test score.

12. The color purple or more specifically ‘lavender’ creates a soothing effect. It is also a great color to have for your bed spreads.

13. In one of Freud’s psychosexual stages, the phallic stage, children become interested in their own Instruments, their parents, and their friends. Accompanied with this stage is the term ‘penis envy’, this is defined as the female child’s realization/resentment that they do not have a penis.

14.Your Short Term Memory is an actual store in your brain, although it has a much more limited capacity than expected- it lasts approximately 20 seconds and can process five to nine things at one time.

15.The sense of falling involved in a dream actually comes from the brain falling asleep too fast and assuming it is dying. The sensation is essentially the brain giving itself an AED.

16. If you fake a smile, even when you’re in a bad mood, that smile will help you feel better and therefore make you happy.

17.Men are attracted to women with clear skin, bright big eyes, rosy lips, and lustrous hair because they are indicators of health and an optimal partner for reproduction.

18.When you yawn and someone else yawns right after it means they were watching you and\or are attracted to you.

19.It is a myth that humans can only use 10% of their brain at any given point. We can actually utilize somewhere around 35% at once.

20.When focusing hard on a task, the human brain will completely block out other things going on, even if it’s right in front of them. It’s called selective attention.

21.Brains in some individuals produce more chemicals compared to others; this is why some people are considered more emotional than others.

22.Besides being sexually appealing, red is also an aggressive color that causes people to appear more intimidating..
Source :Quora

One of the symptoms of #schizoeffectivedisorder or any other related mental disorder

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by 3rdlegxxx(m): 12:27pm On May 05, 2016
I have been hearing of No. 11 for a very long time but it has never worked for me...
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Peacetemi: 12:34pm On May 05, 2016
Nice one op, that lala guy wont put this one on frontpage now cos you didnt mention snake. Lalasticlala oya come and see snake and pls epp us put it on fp

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by DrayZee: 12:34pm On May 05, 2016
wins18:

One of the symptoms of #schizoeffectivedisorder or any other related mental disorder
Did you really have to quote the entire thing?

1 Like

Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 05, 2016
[quote author=philfearon post=45324

[/quote]

seriously??
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by joyrealestates(f): 2:25pm On May 05, 2016
Cool
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by mamawin(f): 3:38pm On May 05, 2016
DrayZee:

Did you really have to quote the entire thing?
I wondered, too. maybe he doesn't know what reply is meant for.
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Oyimzy(m): 11:15pm On May 05, 2016
philfearon:

I don't think this one is all true, yawning is transferable. If a person beside you yawns you can easily feel like doing same and then end up yawning.
It doesn't necessarily mean he/she is attracted to you.
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by RealAdewole(m): 11:20pm On May 05, 2016
3rdlegxxx:
I have been hearing of No. 11 for a very long time but it has never worked for me...
wil nt work with those cheap gum, I and my friend tried it during our last papers it actually works we used cloret
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Nobody: 1:59am On May 06, 2016
i heard this from Sheldon in the big bang theory but i suspect it's a canard: he said that evolution has spiked women's sensitivity to high-pitched noises while they are asleep in order to make it possible for them to be aroused from slumber by a crying baby. meaning you have to speak in a low register while you're around a snoozing woman or she would wake!.

my guess is it's probably one of those pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo bereft of the sheerest verisimilitude.

cc: philefearon, can you mention me with the Quora link that leads to the afore write-up?. I'd like to read comments made by Quorans. thanks.
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by philfearon(m): 6:42am On May 06, 2016
darkenedrebel:

cc: philefearon, can you mention me with the Quora link that leads to the afore write-up?. I'd like to read comments made by Quorans. thanks.
I use the app bro...
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by xendra: 2:12pm On May 06, 2016
no. 6 made me laugh....... 100% of the time they are threatening you?
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by 3rdlegxxx(m): 2:10am On May 07, 2016
RealAdewole:
wil nt work with those cheap gum, I and my friend tried it during our last papers it actually works we used cloret

lol, to burst your burble, bro no matter the gum you use, it may or may not work as it individual based, it isn't definite, individuals are different so it might work for you with a cheap gum and work for me with an expensive one, the 'gum' isn't the trick, the trick is your 'mind' just so you know, I am a psychological student, so most of the things listed here I am already familiar with and actually have more to add but won't, the gum is a mind thing; if you can comprehend that, you would understand, most Nigerians minds are already on 'more expensive is better', the 'effizy' mindset, the 'swag' mindset and that's why it worked for both you...
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by RealAdewole(m): 1:24pm On May 08, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

lol, to burst your burble, bro no matter the gum you use, it may or may not work as it indivial based, it isn't definite, individuals are different so it might work for you with a cheap gum and work for me with an expensive, the 'gum' isn't the trick, the trick is your 'mind' just so you know, I am a psychological, so must of the things listed here I know about and actually have more to add but won't, the gum is a mind thing, if you can comprehend that, you would understand, most Nigerians minds are already on 'more expensive is better' and that's why it worked for both you...
true, chewing a gum when preparing will not help if someone do not understands and comprehend the course content
Re: 22 Amazing Psychological Facts You Probably Didn't Know. by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 08, 2016
At number 6,what if they are avoiding your gaze entirely?
because Nafisat no dey gree look into my eyes when l dey flirt with her...

(1) (Reply)

. / Born Again 300L Uni-ilorin Student Withdraw Himself Frm School; Read His Letter / Throwback: 10 Strange Facts About Albert Einstein That You Didn't Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.