Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It (1365 Views)

'You Will Think Twice About Eating Suya Meat After Seeing This'. Photos / Lady Buys Fish But Is Afraid Of Eating It For Not Knowing Its Name (Photos) / Suya Wrapped In Newspaper Showing Exchange Rate In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It by biyara(f): 11:51pm On May 05, 2016
If you are reading this, you probably know what Suya is. But by way of definition, Suya is a spicy skewered meat which is a popular food item in various parts of Nigeria. It is traditionally prepared by the Hausa people of northern Nigeria.

1. Suya and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
You know when they say Cigarette kills? It is majorly due to the PAHs they contain. Many Suya sellers make their Suya by burning all sort of woods and charcoal to make their fire. Some even throw in such things as plastics to make their ember burn brighter in order to cook the Suya meat. Many of these materials burning under the meat contain these Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons — and do you know what these PAHs do in the body after enough consumption or exposure?

Some PAHs are chemical carcinogens (cancer-causing compounds) while seven PAH compounds have also been classified as probable human carcinogens.
Some PAH compounds are mutagens. Mutagen is a physical or chemical agent that changes the genetic material (DNA).
According to a finding, reported in an article on health.usnews.com, high prenatal exposure to PAH is associated with lower IQ and childhood asthma.

2. Potential of contacting zoonotic diseases
A zoonotic disease is a disease that can be passed between animals and humans. Since Suya meats are generally undercooked and in rare occasions carrying some blood on them, there is a chance that one could contact zoonotic diseases from Suya.

Take for example, during the Ebola Virus Disease outbreak, we were warned to stay away from Monkey and Bat meats. There was also a stern warning to always cook our meats very well before we eat them. Cooking meat very well cannot really be said of Suya.

Other type of diseases that can be passed from animals to humans include, LEPTOSPIROSIS, BRUCELLOSIS, BUBONIC PLAGUE, SALMONELLOSIS, etc.

3. Beef Tapeworm (Taenia saginata)
This is commonly known as the beef tapeworm – a zoonotic tapeworm. Like it was mentioned above, humans majorly get infected by consuming undercooked beef. The infection is may come without any noticeable symptoms but heavy infection can also occur with attendant symptoms. Heavy infection often results in weight loss, dizziness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, constipation, chronic indigestion, and loss of appetite. Heavy infections may cause intestinal obstruction in humans — this can be alleviated by surgery.

Suya can be very delicious and make a good delicacy if well cooked and appropriate types of woods are used for smoking.

For example, it is advised to cook/heat the Suya meat to a safe internal temperature around 80 degrees Celcius or more. Avoid adding plastics or fuels such as kerosene to the fire to make it burn better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 05, 2016
shocked shocked.......

*Runs to meet Mallam Danfulani, Ab*ki take the remaining Suya, I no chop again. I dey wait for my balancegringringrin

1 Like

Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It by ministeriallist: 7:10am On May 06, 2016
SANDOSKI:
shocked shocked.......

*Runs to meet Mallam Danfulani, Ab*ki take the remaining Suya, I no chop again. I dey wait for my balancegringringrin
Abeg maintain a reasonable distance to prevent story that touches.
Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It by Nobody: 7:51am On May 06, 2016
After all these big big grammar i never die...infact i have been eating suya since only God knows when....and I'm still kicking hale and hearty.

1 Like

Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It by Nobody: 8:52am On May 06, 2016
No. 1 is the only legitimate reason to desist from suya. 2 and 3 are fallacies because any other thing present in the meat apart from nutrients(even nutrients in some cases) get destroyed from searing temperatures.

However, seperating me from my weekend suya ration is akin to actively stopping a dog from licking its own genitals.
Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Consider To Stop Eating It by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 06, 2016
ministeriallist:

Abeg maintain a reasonable distance to prevent story that touches.

Lol..... You dey my back....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

This Poisonous Adder Snake Was Caught In My Backyard And See What Happens Next / See What A Lady Claims She Found In Juice Pack She Bought (photos) / The Proven Health Benefits Of Honey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.