Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,682 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Common Misconceptions About Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Common Misconceptions About Islam (11516 Views)

I Want To Know More About Islam / Misconceptions About Allah (part 1 Of 3): Is Allah God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Misconceptions About Islam by ALAGA1: 6:29am On May 06, 2016
All Muslims are Arabs :::

The common image of a Muslim is a turbaned dark Arab man with a long beard. However this image is part of the minority of Muslims. Arabs make only 15% of the world’s Muslim population. As a matter of fact the Middle East comes in third with East Asia coming in at first (69%) and Africa (27%) coming in at second. Another common misconception is that all Arabs are Muslims. While the vast majority of Arabs are Muslims (75%), there are many other religions that Arabs practice including Christianity and Judaism.

Children have no rights :::

Children, according to Islamic law, have various rights. One of these is the right to be properly brought up, raised, and educated. Islam encourages children to be brought up well because it is the responsibility of an adult to raise his child to become a moral and ethical adult. Children must also be treated equally. When giving financial gifts they should all be the same amount and there should be no preference among them.
Children are even permitted to take moderately from their parent’s wealth to sustain themselves if the parent declines to give them proper funds for living. A child is also not allowed to get hit in the face or hit by anything larger than a pencil.

19 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by ALAGA1: 6:32am On May 06, 2016
Islam is intolerable to other religions :::

‘Kill the infidel’ is the phrase many people believe is the ideology that Muslims have towards the non Muslims. This, though, is not a correct portrayal of Islamic law. Islam has always given respect and freedom of religion to all faiths. In the Quran it says “God does not forbid you, with regards to those who fight you not for religion nor drive you away out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them, for god loves those who are just.” There are many historical examples of Muslim tolerance towards other faith.
One such example was when the caliph Umar was ruler of Jerusalem from 634 to 644 AD. He granted freedom to all religious communities and said that the inhabitants of his city were safe and that their places of worship would never be taken away from them. He also set up courts that were designated to the non Muslim minorities.

Women have no rights:::

The image of a woman wearing a veil from head to toe, a woman who gets unfair justice or a woman who is not allowed to drive is an all too familiar notion when it comes to women treatment in Islam. And while there are Muslim countries in the world that do implement many harsh rulings against women, this should not be portrayed as Islamic law. Many of these countries have cultural differences that go against the teachings of Islam. When Islam came to being, verses in the Quran condemned the practice of female infanticide. Islam gave back many human rights to the woman and Muhammad was even reported saying that "women are the twin halves of men." A Muslim woman is allowed to reject and accept any suitor for marriage and has the right to seek divorce. There is nothing in Islam that forbids a Muslim woman from exiting her house and is allowed to drive.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by ALAGA1: 6:36am On May 06, 2016
Jihad means to fight for the sake of Allah :::

The true Arabic meaning of the word jihad is struggle. There are many forms of jihad but the most important ones are Jihad al-nafs (jihad against ones self), jihad bil-lisan (jihad by being vocal), jihad bil yad (jihad by using action), and Jihad bis saif (jihad by using the sword). Each jihad is ranked differently and it was reported that Muhammad returned from a battle and said "We have returned from the lesser jihad (going into battle) to the greater jihad (the struggle of the soul)." This means that a Muslim struggling against himself and his soul is more important than the jihad of going into war.
Another misconception is that only when a person dies in war that person becomes a martyr. This is, however, false and it is believed that anyone doing anything for the sake of Allah and is killed becomes a martyr. A person who dies while performing pilgrimage in Mecca, a woman who dies while giving birth, or even someone who dies in a car crash while he was on his way to the mosque are all considered martyrs.

Muslims don't believe in Jesus or any other prophets:::

Muslims respect and revere Jesus, upon him be peace, and await his Second Coming. They consider him one of the greatest of God's messengers to mankind. A Muslim never refers to him simply as 'Jesus', but always adds the phrase 'upon him be peace'. The Quran confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the Quran is entitled 'Mary'), and Mary is considered the purest woman in all creation. The Quran describes the Annunciation as follows:

"Behold!" the Angel said, "God has chosen you, and purified you, and chosen you above the women of all nations. O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, honored in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near to God. He shall speak to the people from his cradle and in maturity, and shall be of the righteous." She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?" He said: "Even so; God creates what He will. When He decrees a thing, He says to it, "Be!" and it is" (Quran 3:42-47)

Jesus was born miraculously through the same power, which had brought Adam into being without a father: "Truly, the likeness of Jesus with God is as the likeness of Adam. He created him of dust, and then said to him, 'Be!' and he was." (3:59) During his prophetic mission Jesus performed many miracles. The Quran tells us that he said: " I have come to you with a sign from your Lord: I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breath into it and it becomes a bird by God's leave. And I heal the blind, and the lepers, and I raise the dead by God's leave." (3:49) Neither Muhammad not Jesus came to change the basic doctrine of the brief in One God brought by earlier prophets, but to confirm and renew it.

In the Quran, Jesus is reported as saying that he came: "To attest the law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden you; I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear God and obey Me. (3:50) The Prophet Muhammad said: "Whoever believes there is no god but God, alone without partner, that Muhammad is His messenger, that Jesus is the servant and messenger of God, His word breathed into Mary and a spirit emanating from Him, and that Paradise and Hell are true, shall be received by God into Heaven."

Cc: lalasticlala

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by ALAGA1: 6:38am On May 06, 2016
Muslims are terrorists :::

This is by far the biggest misconception of Islam, given unfairly by stereotyping and the public image that the media gives. Has anyone else noticed how when a specific group of people attack another group of people it is labeled as a ‘hate crime’, but when a Muslim opens fire on anybody it is quickly regarded as ‘terrorism’. Many political dictators and officials or extremist groups use the name of Islam as a strategy to garner followers and attention when many of their practices go against the true basis of Islam. The media has also portrayed Islam as a cult or a club where if you join you become a terrorist and that is now part of your agenda. However all over the world people practice Islam in the true form and use it as a way of life. There are many verses in the Quran that go against the idea of terrorism. Some of these verses include “fight in the way of Allah those that fight you but do not transgress limits for God does not love transgressors.” This basically means do not fight except in self defense and even in doing so do not go beyond defense. Another verse states “if they seek peace, then you seek peace,” which means do not attack people for no reason or kill innocent people. There is nowhere in Islam, whether it be in the Quran or the teachings of Muhammad, that promotes the killing of innocent people.

Cc :: lalasticlala

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by queenoflafia(f): 7:16am On May 06, 2016
The toughest jihad is Jihad al-nafs (jihad against ones self)
May Allah be with us
Jummah Mubarak

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by ALAGA1: 7:29am On May 06, 2016
queenoflafia:
May Allah be with us
Jummah Mubarak

Ameen. cool
Allahu Akbar..Salaam malaykum

5 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Codomainmainman(m): 12:22pm On May 06, 2016
Monsha Allah, Jazakum lau khairan.

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by ALAGA1: 12:24pm On May 06, 2016
Codomainmainman:
Monsha Allah, Jazakum lau khairan.

Jazaka Allahu khairan..

Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatu Allahi wa barakatuhu cool

Allahu Akbar!!

5 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by goodlifehyd1: 12:28pm On May 06, 2016
Alhamdulilah, may Almighty Allah continue to guard and guild us aright. Ramadan is fast approaching may we all witness the holy month in good health

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by adezjamz(m): 12:29pm On May 06, 2016
@op, Jazaaka lahu Khanna.

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Codomainmainman(m): 12:29pm On May 06, 2016
ALAGA1:

Jazaka Allahu khairan..

Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatu Allahi wa barakatuhu cool

Allahu Akbar!!

Wakaykum salam waramotullah wabatakatul.

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by mustymatic(m): 12:30pm On May 06, 2016
May Allah reward you

5 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by olaztek(m): 12:32pm On May 06, 2016
Jazakumullahu Kaira. This will go a long way to clear people's misunderstanding about ISLAM.

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by kamatofeelz(m): 12:32pm On May 06, 2016
Jazzakallahhiran

4 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by labamo07(m): 12:34pm On May 06, 2016
Spot on. At least the gullible ones will be informed...........................

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Edifyer: 12:35pm On May 06, 2016
queenoflafia:
May Allah be with us
Jummah Mubarak

Ameen. That's correct fighting with one desires

7 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Shakur86(m): 12:38pm On May 06, 2016
Alhamdulilah. Islam is the best religion ( religion of peace) Quran is the best book (no contradiction)

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by kbshow100(m): 12:42pm On May 06, 2016
Masha Allah,

3 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by realone2012: 12:45pm On May 06, 2016
Jazakumllahi Khairan

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by blinxbest(m): 12:47pm On May 06, 2016
Juma'at Mubarak brothers and sisters

4 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by kestare(m): 12:48pm On May 06, 2016
No OP I don't believe what you posted. . One bit.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Esji80(m): 12:49pm On May 06, 2016
Allahu akbar,may Allah reward you abundantly ameen.

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by kheart(m): 12:50pm On May 06, 2016
Nice thread, jumaat Mubarak

5 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Sunnyade01(m): 12:51pm On May 06, 2016
Allahu Akbar. Alamdulilah

I am Muslim and am not violent and never thought of violence..
I am more than 30 years and I have never assaulted anyone in my life.

My religion taught me that even to SMILE is charity!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by eitsei(m): 1:01pm On May 06, 2016
May Allah reward the OP abundantly for this and it will go a long way in erasing the misconception about the religion in some people's minds, at least those that are open minded

10 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by IBROTEX: 1:07pm On May 06, 2016
It doesn't necessary for you to believe, as your disbelief doesn't change the true picture of ISLAM(The only Religion before Almighty Allah.)
kestare:
No OP I don't believe what you posted.
One bit.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by muahmed(m): 1:08pm On May 06, 2016
Jazakhallahu khairan..

1 Like

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Wealthyone: 1:09pm On May 06, 2016
Allahu Akbar.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by chiventoline(m): 1:16pm On May 06, 2016
I rather be an athiest than to be a worshiper of Muhammad tufiakwa.........

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 06, 2016
masha Allah, this is a very beautiful piece

the greatest misconception about islam is with regards to jihad

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconceptions About Islam by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 06, 2016
8. BOKO HARAM ARE MUSLIMS.

Point of corection,they are terrorists..
Peace

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Causes Of Marital Discord & Their Solutions. / Du'a When Slaughtering Or Offering A Sacrifice / Islam is Against Wife Oppression

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.