Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter (2696 Views)

Scriptwriter Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by YoungWriter(m): 8:41pm On May 06, 2016
My request doesn't get any clearer than the subject, but I'd like to expand on it here for those of us who aren't familiar with internet acronmys. ELI5 means "Explain like I'm 5". It's a broken English which means to explain something to somebody thoroughly.

Ok, so here we go...

I, been a guy who grew up with a strict parent who were also abusive, who made sure I never enjoy the best part of my teenage years, unfortunately turned out to be a little ignorant about many things especially about how to become a Scriptwriter.

Becoming a scriptwriter, to me, isn't as simple as inking down your story. What makes one a scriptwriter is after you sell your screenplay, or so that's what I meant by 'a scriptwriter'. In order words, by my definition, a scriptwriter is a person who had sold at least one screenplay.

It's obvious that in order to sell a screenplay, you have to ink it down first. A person with half a brain probably knows that, too. Thus, I'm not requesting for such obvious answer.

What I want to know is, suppose you wake up one day and then decide you want to become a scriptwriter going by my definition, what are the most effective steps you'd take, the most effective things you'd do, until you sell your script? Would you find a mentor first? Or would you head to a movie school first? Download some software instead?
Would you copyrighted your script even before you find a buyer?

I can write a screenplay, but after that I don't know what to do next. I need your help, bosses.
Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by Briareos(m): 11:08am On May 08, 2016
My answer will be based on a refined version of your question:

How To Be A Script writer in Nigeria?

0. Learn how to write a very good script. But more importantly, learn how to write a good Nigerian script. Trust me, most times, they are quite different.

1. Scratch any thought of being a full time scriptwriter from your mind. At least if you are just starting out.

2. Try to relocate to Lagos (if you are not in Lagos). But it is not absolutely necessary.

3. Study the industry very well and understand your market (your audience). Watching a lot of Nigerian films will help in this regard. You just have to consume those shit to succeed.

4. Find a mentor. Please find a mentor. I can't say this enough: find a mentor. Unlike acting whereby you see audition notices everywhere; in nollywood, writing jobs are kept on a "I know you and I recommend you" basis. Producers already have their go to writers. So you absolutely need a mentor.

5. Attend all the script workshop you can find. This is where you being in Lagos will help because most of the venues are always in Lagos. British Council Arts organizes several of these workshops. Search for Homevida online; they have short script writing competition. Pan Atlantic University just concluded a writing workshop. Chris Ehidero is gearing up for his second Story Story masterclass.

The purpose for attending all these workshop is very simple: TO NETWORK. Collect as much phone numbers and emails you can. Keep in touch with fellow workshoppers and start a conversation with them.

6 Likes

Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by TheDauraMallam: 2:40pm On May 09, 2016
Briareos:

0. Learn how to write a very good script. But more importantly, learn how to write a good Nigerian script. Trust me, most times, they are quite different.

1. Scratch any thought of being a full time scriptwriter from your mind. At least if you are just starting out.

2. Try to relocate to Lagos (if you are not in Lagos). But it is not absolutely necessary.

3. Study the industry very well and understand your market (your audience). Watching a lot of Nigerian films will help in this regard. You just have to consume those shit to succeed.

4. Find a mentor. Please find a mentor. I can't say this enough: find a mentor. Unlike acting whereby you see audition notices everywhere; in nollywood, writing jobs are kept on a "I know you and I recommend you" basis. Producers already have their go to writers. So you absolutely need a mentor.

5. Attend all the script workshop you can find. This is where you being in Lagos will help because most of the venues are always in Lagos. British Council Arts organizes several of these workshops. Search for Homevida online; they have short script writing competition. Pan Atlantic University just concluded a writing workshop. Chris Ehidero is gearing up for his second Story Story masterclass.

The purpose for attending all these workshop is very simple: TO NETWORK. Collect as much phone numbers and emails you can. Keep in touch with fellow workshoppers and start a conversation with them.

Consume beer enough.
Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by tosan200(m): 8:07am On May 10, 2016
Briareos:

Nice.
Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by tosan200(m): 8:11am On May 10, 2016
TheDauraMallam:

Consume beer enough.
And kilishi undecided
Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by YoungWriter(m): 6:04pm On May 13, 2016
Briareos:

Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by YoungWriter(m): 6:08pm On May 13, 2016
Briareos:

This helps a lot. Thanks, boss. But I have got a question about finding a mentor, though. Do you have any tips on how to find one considering a lot of them are sort of always busy?
Re: ELI5: How To Become A Scriptwriter by Briareos(m): 10:17pm On Jun 06, 2016
YoungWriter:

This helps a lot. Thanks, boss. But I have got a question about finding a mentor, though. Do you have any tips on how to find one considering a lot of them are sort of always busy?

I suppose you could send me a message.

(1) (Reply)

The Vampire Diaries Season 8 Episode 11 / Expendables 3′ Leaks Online 3 Weeks Before Theatrical Release / Squid Games: Which Of The Games Is The Easiest And Most Difficult? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.